how big is a mucus plug? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-27-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i lost a little today...it was about the size of a grape~ maybe 3/4 inch across, blob shaped. was that the whole plug, or is there more to come? will it come in pieces? this is my 4th kid and i have never lost a plug before so this is definately new. hopefully theres a baby to follow!

joyful mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, and my littlest one 7-09. crazy in love with DH!
#2 of 8 Old 06-27-2009, 04:50 AM

It depends. Mine looked like white, translucent toothpaste, maybe an inch and a half long and about a centimeter wide.

It can be lost in chunks, and bits can be lost and then reform. Did you have any bloody show?

~Rose
#3 of 8 Old 06-27-2009, 09:48 AM

I've only lost mine as one big glob with both of my two pregnancies. They were pretty big, globby, snotty looking with a little bit of blood streaked in them. With my second pregnancy I was just walking and all of a sudden felt really wet - I thought my water had broken but it was my plug.

Best wishes!!!
#4 of 8 Old 06-27-2009, 03:16 PM

With both of my 1st 2 pregnancies mine came out in early labor. It was streaked with blood and came out over a few bathroom visits. It was way more in amount than what anyone esle has discribed. Hmmm?
#5 of 8 Old 06-27-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

so it sounds like it could be different for everyone. today i think some more came out but today it wasnt quite so globular. it was more fluidy with some small globs in it. im so facinated by all this! no blood in it or anything, but i did have contractions (which amounted to nothing) all night. how soon after loosing your plug did you mamas actually go into labor?

joyful mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, and my littlest one 7-09. crazy in love with DH!
#6 of 8 Old 06-27-2009, 06:31 PM

I posted earlier that with both of my pregnancies it came out in one glob (and I agree, it was a lot more than expected).

With each I lost it within a day of my midwife sweeping my membranes. With my first son I didn't go into labor for four more weeks at 40w5d. With my second I was induced at 40 weeks for medical reasons so who knows how much longer I would have gone?

I'm 34 weeks now, am already 3cm dilated and keep waiting to lose it. My doc told me I probably already have until I told her about my first two. I expect this one will probably be the same.
#7 of 8 Old 06-28-2009, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
with my first I lost a piece (maybe grape sized?) sunday night, some more monday morning, then labor wednesday night.

2nd, I started losing pieces at least a week and a half before labor, it seemed like there was always a "surprise" on the tp! Then one morning I woke up and felt some wetness in my underwear and thought, "ohhh i KNOW my water didnt just break!" went to the bathroom to investigate, and this super crazy long glob of mucus comes out and nearly hits the floor without breaking! it was fascinating, and I was holding my baby 17 hours later.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#8 of 8 Old 07-01-2009, 11:22 AM

When I lost mine it was a big glob...I don't remember how much-- at least golf ball sized. I went into labor less than 24 hours later.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page