anyone have Hospital birth w/o interventions? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
::: I just read your story Gurumama, and my hat's off to you! I just smiled after reading it as this is exactly what I hope for (I may even do a water birth). I would be pleased as punch though for it all to go as yours did. I am pretty clear in directives when it comes to my own health care and also my pets, so I will not hesitate to be outspoken (in a polite manner of course.). I've already opened the dialogue that these are my wishes with my OB as well as the hospital personnel I've been able to speak with thus far. My OB said the 15 minute EFM is about all that will need to be enforced (it's a liability issue) and I talked with him aboout how the device was never intended for normal pregnanices, even contraindicated for this group by the manufacturer as it tends to lead to unneccessary interventions that carry risks. He agreed 100% and cited that it's likely a hospital liability issue. I suppose it gives them something tangible in the event they ever need to refer back on it at a later date (for legal reasons perhaps).
I would much prefer a doppler as I do not wish to be confined for 15 minutes subjected to being still and possibly stalling my labor (or left on my back in bed- a position I want to avoid at all costs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumama View Post
I had none of the above in my 2002 hospital birth. I did have a 15 minute external fetal monitor strip, but that was it, and I was standing/squatting the whole time

No vaginal exam, ever, from start to finish.
No IV or lock.
No stripping of membranes or artificial rupture of membranes.
No pitocin, no cytotec, no augmentation or induction.
No traction on the cord after.
Babe at my breast within 30 seconds.
Delayed cord clamping.
Babe stayed with us for 2+ hours. Then DH followed him and was with him the entire time before they returned him to me.
Babe with me the entire 2 days, co-sleeping in the bed.

NOTHING other than the 15 minute EFM strip...................

So it IS possible to have a non-intervention hospital birth. I'm now due in early August, and damn well intend to do the same again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I did. Three of them. For my first one, I wasn't aware he mutilated me (cut me), and I couldn't sue because it was an ignorant military doctor, but the other three were absolutely 100% intervention free.

No IVs, no monitoring, no internal exams, nothing. I did what I wanted to do and called them in to catch. Then went home. It was great. I didn't stay at night for them to monitor me unnecessarily either.

My OB was 100% on board, and directed me to the hospital that would cooperate. She called them ahead of tiem to ensure they were aware they were to leave me alone, and all went wonderfully!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#33 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby View Post
I believe it's unlikely and rare. No VEs, IV, saline or heplock, ECFM (or intermittent FM), AROM, being confined to the bed, etc. Completely hands off and free to do whatever you wish in terms of your labor/birth preference.

With DD2 I had AROM, saline lock and intermittent FM and three VEs. Without being a royal bitch or making "requests" or "asking" for permission, it would be extremely hard to have a totally normal birth in most hospital settings.
I disagree. I didn't have to bitch at all. They couldn't do anything to me that I wouldn't let them do, and I had the situation under control. The nurses and docs wished there were more moms like me.

Why didn't you refuse the AROM and stuff? NO is an easy word!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#34 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Mine was pretty close. The only interventions I had were the ones I wanted. I had a heplock with saline since I kept throwing up. They did give me all the fluids by mouth that I wanted as well. I also had external monitor for a while. They offered to take it off, and midwife started to take them off when she got there. I was focusing on the sound of her heart beat during contractions, so I asked her to leave it on. Same for the saline. I also ended up liking sitting on the bed with my head just so. My midwife told the nurse to leave me alone and stop trying to lay me down. I think if you can find a midwife that feels like you do that delivers at your hospital of choice.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#35 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 05:53 PM

My VBAC was an intervention free hospital birth. But I did allow what some may consider "interventions" - EFM (b/c I was a VBAC and there were some questions about the baby when I went in) and a saline lock. For me, i didn't think these two things were worth arguing about. I chose my hospital carefully and never had to "ask permission" for anything. I ate when I was hungry, drank when I wanted, etc. They followed my birth plan exactly.

Honestly though, I think you need to look at why you are choosing a home birth vs hospital birth. Because if you really really don't want anything that the hospital will offer you, it's best to avoid the potential argument in the first place (obviously we sometimes have insurance issues or our partner isn't supportive or whatever).

We all walk into a hospital birth knowing that certain things are "standard operating procedure" - like wearing a hospital gown for example. Silly things mostly. IME if you've decided on a hospital birth, don't sweat the small stuff. When it comes down to it, that is not what matters and not what you will remember about your birth experience. Instead, focus on what's important to you and make sure you assign someone (partner, doula) to communicate those desires as they become relevant. YES it can be done.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#36 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltroy View Post

We all walk into a hospital birth knowing that certain things are "standard operating procedure" - like wearing a hospital gown for example.

At the same time, though, I asked my mw at a late pg visit about wearing my own clothes and she said that would be fine but why did I want to. When it came down to it, I was very comfy in the hosp. gown even though I did have the choice to wear what I wanted.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#37 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
I disagree. I didn't have to bitch at all. They couldn't do anything to me that I wouldn't let them do, and I had the situation under control. The nurses and docs wished there were more moms like me.

I think it really depends on the climate where you are. Here it is VERY hard to refuse a lot of it. The hospital *midwives* have many "mandatory" things that you sign on that you agree to before labor....

-Angela
#38 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 06:18 PM

I had a birth in a hospital with a CNM, with no drugs, and no IV, in the position I chose. I did have a monitor belt on and am extremely thankful for that. It wasn't exactly intervention free because it became an emergency....DS2's cord was around his shoulder twice and the MW had to talk me through pushing him out very quickly, and he had to be resuscitated. We got him out fast and they got him pink quickly and he has always seemed fine. I am very happy to have had those interventions. I can honestly say I didn't have any interventions that I didn't want.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#39 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I think it really depends on the climate where you are. Here it is VERY hard to refuse a lot of it. The hospital *midwives* have many "mandatory" things that you sign on that you agree to before labor....

-Angela
I guess I just can't wrap my head around a bunch of people physically having to force, with great effort, my legs apart and doing AROM or cervical checks. I can't believe a hospital would do that. Apparently they do, but man, I'd be hitting the door running as fast as my laboring body would get me there! LOL!

#40 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I guess I just can't wrap my head around a bunch of people physically having to force, with great effort, my legs apart and doing AROM or cervical checks. I can't believe a hospital would do that. Apparently they do, but man, I'd be hitting the door running as fast as my laboring body would get me there! LOL!
Right. It's bad here. Learned recently of a mom a couple years back who exceeded the "time limit" on pushing and was wheeled into OR for a section screaming I DO NOT CONSENT. Then as punishment they kidnapped her baby to NICU claiming he was going to die (when nothing in fact was wrong)

-Angela
#41 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Me.

And they followed my birth plan to a T.
#42 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 PM

I really think you have to be open with your practioner about the type of birth you want. Write everything out, give them a copy, the nurses a copy. I think as long as the lines of communication are open between you and your practioners, you can have the typr of birth which you seek.

With my last birth, I wrote out everything, down to not bathing the baby,where to get the diapers from if they needed one (we bring our own to the hospital - cloth). I plan on staying 12 hours after this birth (in a hospital) and my Dr is fine with it. He knows that this is going to be as intervention-free as possible. The only thing I really have to do for this practice is be monitored for 30 mins when I first get there.

Good luck!

Jen

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#43 of 53 Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoady View Post
I have an experienced doula coming with me who vows to stand up strong for my birth plan and knows the nurses at this hospital as well as my doctor.
Just as a heads-up, standing up to the doctors and nurses is not part of a doula's job, nor should it be. If your doula thinks it is part of her job, this might not turn out as intended.

And on the "how could you possibly get an AROM you don't want" question, most of the stories with AROM I've heard of, it was done without their knowledge or permission. Most of women who have described it didn't object per se, even after the fact, but just described the doctor just doing his thing without telling them what he was doing or why or getting permission. So it's entirely possible - and extremely common, it seems - to consent to a cervical check and end up with AROM.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#44 of 53 Old 07-03-2009, 02:32 AM

My first birth was identical to gurumama, except I was at the beginning of true labor (3-4 cm dialated). I LOVED my CNM, who happened to work in an office with her OB Husband. After the initial strip, I was left alone to do whatever, no i.v., no nothing. My second birth wasn't as fun (different area of the state, practictioner, hospital), but I had a doula with me and she made it soooo much better!
#45 of 53 Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 AM

I had an intervention free birth with a CNM at a hospital. No IV, no meds, I was able to move where/when I wanted, etc. Labored in the tub, but DS didn't want to be born in water, apparently. I was prepared to stand up for myself if necessary, but I never had to make a peep. Everyone respected my wishes.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#46 of 53 Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Right. It's bad here. Learned recently of a mom a couple years back who exceeded the "time limit" on pushing and was wheeled into OR for a section screaming I DO NOT CONSENT. Then as punishment they kidnapped her baby to NICU claiming he was going to die (when nothing in fact was wrong)

-Angela
That devastates me. It's stories like these that scare people from hospitals (not that I think you have to birth there - given my druthers, I wouldn't have, but hubby really took issue with home birth - if God gives me #5, we will not be wasting the gas, I assure you!). I really think if one finds a good OB who is very comfortable and confident in his or her's hospital procedures, a birth in those facilities can be wonderful. I hope someday that's the rule and not the exception.

#47 of 53 Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Boudicca~ View Post
Me.

And they followed my birth plan to a T.
Yep. Same here.

CNM at hospital, Bradley trained hubby... arriving already 9 centimeters gone both times. No interventions of any kind. Just me, naked and pacing.. the midwife occasionally slipping up to me with the doptone. No biggie. All the baby checking was done with the baby on my body, we delayed cord clamping. I nursed right away. I was home 12-14 hours later and back in my own bed. A truly joyous experience both times.
#48 of 53 Old 07-03-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
That devastates me. It's stories like these that scare people from hospitals (not that I think you have to birth there - given my druthers, I wouldn't have, but hubby really took issue with home birth - if God gives me #5, we will not be wasting the gas, I assure you!). I really think if one finds a good OB who is very comfortable and confident in his or her's hospital procedures, a birth in those facilities can be wonderful. I hope someday that's the rule and not the exception.
It depends on politics where you are (hospital/medical, not government) You would not be able to have what you describe in any hospital in this city.

-Angela
#49 of 53 Old 07-03-2009, 05:52 PM

I had what I consider to be an intervention-free hospital birth with my first dc at the hospital- even with a 43 hour labor!
The only "intervention" I had was AROM, by MY request after about 39 hours of labor. That was what it took for me to finally get fully dilated and pushing. I definitely don't regret it. (I also had my midwife AROM at my last birth, which was a home birth).
But, back to the hospital, the midwives left me alone, checked me maybe a total of 3 times in the 20 hours I labored in the hospital, all by my request. I was free to eat and drink, move around in the tub, bed, ball, use the squat bar to push baby out. I did not have an IV or anything attached to me. I had intermittent monitoring with a doppler, never had the strap on my belly. They didn't even do a urine/blood draw on me when I got there. I did not have pitocin to expel placenta, or an episiotomy. My midwife stitched up a tear afterward and I accepted a local anestetic for that.
It can be done, with the right hospital and the right caregiver. I was glad to have the midwife I had on duty (I saw a group of 3). There was one I know would have been pushing me to have pitocin to speed up the labor.
I had a very thorough birth plan and a very supportive husband to coach me along.
Good luck with your decision!
#50 of 53 Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM

I didn't have an intervention-free hospital birth as some might define interventions, but mine was really a great experience in terms of what they did to me/for me/at me. At home I had a seizure and uncontrollable fever, so I got punted to the hospital in an ambulance. They started an IV enrt, but at the hospital I was already in hard labor and ready to deliver. All I got was some 02 and they "tried" to put on the fetal monitor but was not able to place it optimally. The only other "intervention" I got was a nurse trying hard to massage and stretch the perineum because I was tearing pretty bad. She was trying to support the area and applying counter-pressure with the palms while trying to massage with the thumbs. After all was said and done, I got stitched up, another intervention I guess. No meds, no c-section. During the pushing part, there were some sticky moments and the nurses told me what was going on and helped to position me, which involved a lot of weird and rotated positions. Since they were able to see and feel the position of my daughter, they were in a good spot to suggest how my body should go to get her out. All I could feel was that I needed to push, I couldn't tell how she was oriented. It was like yoga during birth.

But honestly, the baby was coming so fast and I was largely incommunicative because I was post-tictal, that there wasn't time for any interventions save for a crash c-section.

Good luck to you though.
#51 of 53 Old 07-07-2009, 10:28 PM

I had a great experience at the hospital with DD. Had a CNM,doula,no IV, no continous monitoring, walked around,ate,got in and out of the tub, no meds, no episitomy. My birth plan was followed to the T! I did push lying down on my back though, my choice. I was going to use a stool or try squatting, buy I felt so exhausted that lying on my back was nice(BUT only between contractions when I wasn't pushing).

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#52 of 53 Old 07-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I could be wrong, but it sounds as though you're somewhat blaming Mom's for inteventions they didn't want. If so, I think that's wrong & very unfair.

because... It's just not that easy.
Quote:
I guess I just can't wrap my head around a bunch of people physically having to force, with great effort, my legs apart and doing AROM or cervical checks.
Perhaps you don't read many birth stories? As already noted, AROM is often done without even telling the mom let alone obtaining permission first.

I also just read a birth story from here in Baltimore of a mom who was a UC transfer. For some crazy reason when the OB on call did a VE, he wouldn't remove his hand. Then he inserted a finger into her rectum as well & left both there while she pushed - despite her screaming for him to remove them.

But putting aside those stories where "NO" is blatently ignored, um... women in labor are kinda vulnerable!! It's hard to argue. Particularly if you must do so repeatedly. I can imagine you might just be worn down & just "Cave in." Labor takes a bit of effort & energy to say the least!

So, I can see how a mom could lack enough energy to argue! How many times can a woman in pain lacking adequate non-phramacological pain relief methods (i.e. no bathtubs) continue to say 'no' to repeated offers of an epidural?

How long can a mom continue to say - PARTICULARLLY when they are "playing the dead baby card." Think about it - Moms being pressured to have CEFM (To be sure baby is safe), Vacuum if pushing is going too long (& pressing on poor baby's head), ABTs for GBS (one of my CNMs gave me a lecture on that & I didn't even say I was going to decline! Just questoined it.)

& finally, I've also heard stories of women, even in homebirth, who literally couldn't speak and articulate their needs. They just couldn't form sentences & communicate their needs. Or they could verbally speak, but somehow felt a disconnect in their ability to articulate their needs.

So, I implore you, please realize it's so much more complicated than "Just say no! You too can have a perfect natural birth in a hospital." & stop blaming the victims.
I'm not saying it's NOT possible to have a perfect natural birth in a hospital, but it takes a LOT of work - and it's much more complex than "Just say no." & even with all the right preparation, sometimes it still doesn't work out (doctors misrepresent themselves. etc.)

P.S. Personally, I was 100% mentally lucid! So *I* could have EASILY not only refused any unwanted interventions, but entered into a debate about each intervention & quoted stats! But I think I'm probably the exception, rather than the rule - both in how lucid I was, plus I'm way more hard-headed than the average human. So I realize it's just not as simple as "just say no."
#53 of 53 Old 07-07-2009, 11:59 PM

my aunt has, 8 times. she just got another positive so keep your fingers crossed.

ive heard her birth stories and i know i would never get a birth like that in the hospitals around here.

Mama to expecting Babe 2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page