Sign for "bassinet" at hospital...over the top?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I had anticipated on making a sign to tape to the "cradle" thing at the hospital of things to NOT do. My dh thinks its a bit weird. I on the other hand do not want to have to tell all of this to every nursing change.

I was going to put the important things....

NO eye ointment
NO Hep B
NO bath
NO paci or bottle

I think that was it. It was going to be a nice looking thing not just a "list"

This isn't over the top is it? I think it is just easier than telling how many nurses during our stay....

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 12:38 PM

I say DO IT.

Also if you are planning a drug-free birth I would aslo make a LARGE sign for your door that says something like

Drug free birth
please do not offer pain medications at any time

or something like that. One of my birth books suggested this.
#3 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would have it ready but if you are rooming in you probably won't need it. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have ready though. ODn't expect the nurses to read a sign though if they can't read thier charts. You will probably still be explaining yourself over and over.

Eye ointment and Heb B areusually done right away. Neither of my babys were offered a bath until much later and neither of themwere offered a paci. It was somehting I had to ask for.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 12:42 PM

I think it's a good idea. You might add "please." I don't want these things, either. (And I think it's pretty silly for them to put eye ointment in a baby born via cesarean.... but sometimes, you still have to tell them.)

If you're still going ahead with the cesarean, I'd definitely take the drugs.

Best of luck. I'd really appreciate it if you would follow up and tell us what the reaction was and whether they respected your wishes...
#5 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 01:13 PM

Depending on your wishes (and your baby's sex), you might want to add 'no circ'. I've heard horror stories of baby mix-ups, etc...always better safe than sorry
#6 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 02:23 PM

I would do it, but definitely say please. I had a "no bottles -- will breastfeed anytime" sign, and they still gave my baby a bottle.
#7 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 02:56 PM

I wanted to add that we refused all this stuff before (and the circ) and we didn't have a sign, and they were good about it. However, I'm going to be at a new hospital this time (albeit a "groovier" one which has more obviously child-friendly policies). I'm maybe not so trusting, though... all it takes is one rushed nurse...

I would assume that the hep B is something they really have to get your consent on, though... it was my understanding (from what the NP at our previous drs. office said) that if you or your child is given an immunization against your wishes, it's a major no-no--like a revoking licensing no-no.
#8 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 03:04 PM

I had all that info in my birth plan (in my file at the birthing center). I guess a sign wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't count on anybody paying any attention to it

You have to SIGN your consent for the Hep B...just like any other vaccination.

Eye ointment is a legal issue in my state - as in, they are required by law to apply it. You might want to find out if that is the case for you.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#9 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Eye ointment is not required but the PKU is. My ob was like...well even a c/b baby is exposed to chlamydia and gonorrhea. I was like...yeah but I don't have those things...

She acted like hep B was going to be an issue thought. BUt we will raise more than hell if they give it to him!

From what I understand the hospital staff is very accomadating and non-involved (if you want them to be)

With my ds they did his bath within 2 hours of birth...I don't want that this time.

We'll see how the sign goes

#10 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 05:48 PM

*How* is a c/b baby exposed to gonorrhea and chlamydia? Your lower abdomen is not that close to your vagina, and they swab the surgical site with a disinfectant first anyway. If there *is* a real way exposure can happen, I'd like to know (I'm a microbiologist... I'm curious, but doubtful).

We have our own vaccination schedule; I *do* want my kids immunized, but not immediately, and not 4-5 things at once. And hep B at birth, in my opinion, is ridiculous. Unless the child is going to stick themselves on a needle :, I feel like you can put this one off a *long* time (like till puberty). (OT--before we conceived ds, I got the hep B shots myself because of the neighborhood we were living in... I *would* come across used needles.)

I feel pretty strongly about the bath, esp. in the cases of cesarean birth. The amniotic fluid supposedly smells just like mama's nipples, and leaving them unbathed helps them figure out who mama is and helps get nursing going.
#11 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The whole issue can be avoided. There is no reason the baby has to be in the nursery w/o you there, and then after it has all the stuff done to it, it can spend all the rest of the time in your room. If you are having a c/s and don't feel up to following the nurses around, you can send your dh.

Even if the hospital "doesn't allow" rooming in, just tell them it's against your religion not to have it and then they will have to go along with it. No one has the right to take your baby away.
#12 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 07:17 PM

Quote:
You have to SIGN your consent for the Hep B...just like any other vaccination.
you have to sign for vaccinations? I have never had to sign to get them. My dr. whipped out the paperwork when we started refusing the vaccinations. Before that the nurse would come in and give the shots, no signature required.
#13 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 07:45 PM

Greaseball, iof is having a cesarean birth. I think it's pretty standard in cesareans for the baby to go to the nursery while the mama stays in the OR to be stitched up. (It's cold in the OR, and most hospitals have a policy to check c/b babies out.) If they don't know not to, they do a lot of that stuff *then*. In my own case, dh and I had discussed it at length beforehand, and he was very clear about what they could and could not do while I was being repaired.

So iof, maybe you should just stencil it on your dh's forehead?

I've definitely had to sign for shots. Maybe it's just where I've lived?
#14 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 08:03 PM

Never had to sign for an immunization before. I had to physically stop them from removing the bassinet from my hospital room to keep them from giving him the shot.
#15 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 08:09 PM

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
I made a cute sign with some scrapbooking things I would never use (pics of bottles and paci) that said "Breastfeeder in Training, no bottles or pacifiers please!" and decorated it very nicely, and put it in Danielle's bassinet. Everyone commented on it, the nurses said I should make them for the other patients. It conveyed it's message, was noticed by everyone, and no one thought it was over the top!

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
#16 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 09:15 PM

Wow. I didn't know there were states that don't require a signature of consent for vaccinations

Thank heavens I live in one that does! I'd be totally pissed off if somebody vaxed my kid w/out my permission!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#17 of 29 Old 01-26-2004, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was going to fancy up the sign too.

When we had ds, he was also c/b, he never left the or and went with me, in my arms, to recovery. In this hospital the baby will go with dh to the nursery while I am stitched up. He knows what to do and what not to do.

With ds we had to sign a waiver for no Hep B. BUt that was at pre-registration. I've done that but I go for pre-op stuff tomorrow so I wonder if that will come up then.

I'm going to make the sign tonight!

Thanks for the advice!!

Oh and I wondered how a c/b baby was exposed to those 2 things too....

#18 of 29 Old 01-27-2004, 08:30 PM

IOF- Although my birth was less than ideal, my hospital stay was great, baby was never away from dh and I, he and dh left the OR, but met up with me in recovery, and dh held the babe the whole time I was still in.

I would make the sign just in case though. And, since as far as I know you are having babe circ.ed- I would say that would be the time that babe will be away and people might get ideas of doing other things then, YK? So, make dh go with him

Anywho- wanted you to know that my babe was with me the whole time, and I had no problem with the things I denied. Do find out though if your hospital has a policy of the baby needing to wet at least one diaper in 24 hours after birth- my hospital had that rule, and we were lucky that he wet the first night. (although I made it clear that they would have to give me a breastpump if they were going to insist on a bottle of something).

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#19 of 29 Old 01-28-2004, 01:15 AM

Definitely put a little sign in the bassinette. At the hospital I worked at, moms did this all the time. It was no big deal, made some people roll their eyes but so what.
#20 of 29 Old 01-28-2004, 01:56 AM

It couldn't hurt. What we did was to type up a birth plan staing these things, all laid out with bullet points. Then we handed it to the nurses who were caring for us. I didn't really need anything on the isolete as ds was never really in there anyway (we coslept starting in the hospital). When the nurse saw me in bed with the babe, she said, "Aww, that's great. He is right where he should be, next to mom"
#21 of 29 Old 01-28-2004, 06:19 AM

Well, I would do a sign AND tell everyone over and over what you want or don't want.
We ended up in the hospital for our ds birth (Started out as a home-water birth) and after he was born, we told them all the things NOT to do...no bottles or pacifiers, bath etc...
We didn't bathe him for really quite a while. The nurses were obviously VERY uncomfortable with this as they would drop little hints here and there. Finally, on our last day there (we were there for 3 days) one nurse tried her best to make me feel like a bad mom. She told us that they don't take those nursery pictures of babies who haven't had a bath yet, and sent down to our room a little container of antibacterial soap!

Apparently, newborns need to be scrubbed with a brush under hot water with antibacterial soap. (I've heard of a nurse at this particular hosptial doing this to a nb... )
Just makes me so mad...
Mama to our beautiful Gabriel and wifey to Steve

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#22 of 29 Old 01-28-2004, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

I made my signs last night. They are small and colorful and very non-obtrusive. I'm thinking they might get paid more attention too because they aren't just black letters on white paper. I decorated them too and wrote them like they were from the baby....

I am learning to breastfeed. Please do not offer me a bottle or paci. If I am crying please find my mommy or daddy.

(I'm not sure why he would be away from us but you never know)

I know I'm new but I do have a couple requests
NO bath
NO eye ointment please
NO Hep B (I refuse )
Thank you so much for caring!

And those are the signs.

#23 of 29 Old 01-28-2004, 03:34 PM

Quote:
She told us that they don't take those nursery pictures of babies who haven't had a bath yet, and sent down to our room a little container of antibacterial soap!
One of the things on my birth plan was NO PICTURES! I didn't think a new baby would like being under lights and having a flash go off in her eyes.

For the bath, dh did it while the nurse ran warm water. No soap was used, and I was there the whole time.

There is nothing they do in the nursery they can't do in your room, unless the baby has a health problem requiring a special piece of equipment. Even c/s babies who are born that way for reasons other than (real) fetal distress don't need special care.
#24 of 29 Old 01-28-2004, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we skipped the pics too!!

I don't see why they would need to take baby either but I'm trying to be "prepared" for anything! I figure we'll do a "bath" on the second day...if we choose to. Dh is a little grossed out by not giving baby a bath right away but I explained why and he understands. I explained to him that we would clean off any blood if it would make him feel better. He said ti would so we'll just spot bathe baby at first.

#25 of 29 Old 02-03-2004, 09:27 PM

k was born by c-section and was taken from the or by her daddy to the nursery. she was brought to me in recovery as soon as i was released from surgery.
my hospital was very pro-rooming-in but wouldn't let a c-section babe stay unless someone was awake in the room. considering dh was getting just as much sleep as i was, k spent part of her first few nights in the nursery. her chart listed clearly she was breastfed, so, when she awoke, she was brought to me.
our second night in the hospital, we had a breakdown with me and dh having no idea how to get k to calm down and latch on, even though she was clearly hungry. i was strung out on only 2 hours sleep in the last 2 days and sobbing, so we let her be taken to the nursery and be fed a little formula (less than 2 oz.). they asked for our premission several times to clear it. we also had to ask for the paci for the ride home.
she recieved no vax in the hospital (besides the eye gunk) and still hasn't. she's supposed to recieve her hep b at 2 months, but i want to delay it a bit more.
we didn't have a sign for her bassinette. we had the same nurse all day and all night on each day (which equaled 4 nurses), so they knew my name, her name, dh's name and everything we wanted, so we did well.
#26 of 29 Old 02-03-2004, 11:09 PM

At my hospital there were no bassinets in the nursery. There was a sign on the door saying "All babies are with their moms!" I suppose if a baby was sick it would stay there. This is a hospital with a c/s rate of 18% (at least that's what they admit to).

C/s babies are often born healthy and there is no reason to arbitrarily separate them from their moms. I had a difficult vaginal birth and dd slept in my bed with me even though I was not awake.
#27 of 29 Old 02-05-2004, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
hey hey hey congadulations!!!

I LOVE THE SIGN IDEA !!!!!LOVE LOVE

I too had to be VERY clear on what not to do ect but the 3 days I was in the hospital my son was in the nursery 3 times and let me tell u the nurses COULD NOT BELIEVE i was spending so much time with MY baby sick huh?
are u sure you dont want a brteak? oh we can give him some formula spo u can get some sleep..

how bout a bath? oh we have to weight him and and my favorite one was we are so bored back there cant we play with him?

small town..

when he did go for pictures,1 billyruben2 and last weight before we left 3 it was like a hay day!

god bless your new love and let me tell ya, one nurse there gave me the nicest compliment she said good for you for stickin up for your new babe, and i pass that on, its hard to confront them and last thing we want to to is look like a moron so way to go!
i just love the sign!

#28 of 29 Old 02-07-2004, 08:40 PM

When Lars was born they(the nurses) put "NO CIRC" right across the top of the crib card. I also have a tear off page of my birth plan that is just baby instructions. This is to go to the nursery if the baby needs to go there. Neither of them ever went to the nursery for anything, so we didn't have to worry about it!
#29 of 29 Old 02-08-2004, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well, didn't use the signs.....

Bryce was born and with us for about 2 hours before they noticed his breathing problems and he was in the sick baby nursery for 30 hours. So the signs were the last thing on our minds!

BUt he is healthy now!! (and I'm putting the signs in his scrapbook!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page