The Birth Center won't take me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm totally crushed. We are TTC right now so I went ahead and emailed The Birth Center to find out what I need to do to be a patient with them when I get pregnant. I tell them it will be a VBAC and they absolutely do not do VBACS! Can you believe that crap!!! UGHHHHHHHHHHH. My csection was purely because of stupid doctors it was not medically necessary at all and now look at what I have to deal with for the rest of my life.
#2 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 01:12 AM

I'm really sorry, have you considered looking for a homebirth midwife??

I didn't have any problem finding one that would attend a vbac at home.
#3 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 04:23 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, mama.

Elizabeth Seton Birth Center refused to take me because I took antidepressants before becoming PG. They said I was too high risk of PPD for them to"be responsible for". They also went about rejecting me in a **really** unprofessional manner...the midwife looked over my records, said "Um, can you excuse me, I need to use the bathroom..." and left the room. When she came back, she said she had spoken to the director and they were so sorry, blah blah blah. I'm still angry over that...she could have just been honest. Grrr...

I feel your pain, but keep looking...you'll find someone.

~Kiyomi~ Unschooling mom to one very chatty, very amazing 7 year old bundle of boy
#4 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 11:25 AM

I second a homebirth midwife. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#5 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 11:53 AM

Each birth center is different. Ours still accepts VBACs (the only facility in our town that does, actually). It depends upon the insurance and the dictates from the covering physician.

Our covering physician, who is also part owner, has no problem with VBACs. And neither does her malpractice insurance. So we will continue to do them.

Rarely do the midwives think that VBAC is too dangerous...usually it is a decision that comes down to them, usually out of their control.

So, check out some other midwives and birth centers. See what you can find. Or you can move to Kansas! We'd take you!

Lori
#6 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 12:19 PM

I saw your location in NJ, and I figured you're talking about The Birth Center in Wilmington?? I delivered my baby there this past september. They don't do VBACs, but have you tried the birth center in Bryn Mawr, or is that too far from you? I do know of homebirth midwives in PA, not sure what the laws are in NJ. Sorry you couldn't deliver at the birth center!!
#7 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 03:48 PM

A good friend just delivered last March in NJ with a great midwife who has an 80% success rate for VBAC and works at both a hostpital and a birth center. (Although I think the birth center might not be doing deliveries right now because they're looking for new malpractice insurance - but that situation could have been resolved by now. I'm just not sure.)

My friend is in Montclair - I'm not sure where the midwife is. Close by, certainly. But if you need her name and number, I could get it for you.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#8 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 04:50 PM

The bc I WAS going to took vbacs...but not really. They said they would take you but if you showed anything "out of the ordinary" they kicked you out.

If your bp rose during labor, if you had PIH, if you gained too much or too little weight, if you went too far past due date... the list went on. They also insisted that you take child birth clsses which is fine. But they insisted you take the ones that are like 300+. Like I can afford that! And they said my labor with my son "didn't count" because it ended in c/b.

Oh well.... Ileft them before they could drop me!

Look into a homebirth if you are comfortable with that. We had planned on me going into labor and just staying home till baby came or something seemed to be going ary.

Good luck!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#9 of 17 Old 01-28-2004, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks girls!!

Hi Carol. Yes I was talking about The Birth Center in Wilmington, DE. It would be an hour+ drive but I thought that it would be worth it because my insurance would have covered it and everything. What a bummer.

Penelope, I would LOVE to get the name of this midwife in NJ so I could call her and ask questions.

I would like to have a homebirth but money is definitely an issue for us right now. I am keeping all of my options open though and I really appreciate all of the help that I have recieved here. Thank you!!

#10 of 17 Old 02-01-2004, 01:13 PM

Here's what my friend writes about her VBAC friendly mw, verbatim:

Lonnie Morris , The Childbirth Center (which is no longer a childbirth center, since they lost their insurance for deliveries they have to do them all in hospitals), Englewood NJ. Much better than any other midwife you can get it NJ -- very committed to VBACs, has an amazingly high success rate for them. She is a character though. Been doing this longer than anybody. She's also a Moile (spelling - meaning something about Jewish circumcision). She's a little kooky, but she knows what she's doing and is very very reassuring, always.

Hope that helps!!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#11 of 17 Old 02-01-2004, 02:15 PM

yes, i was also told no vbac at my birthing center for liability reasons. They still do vbacs, but i was a vba2c and that was too risky. The midwife also told me that they were considering not doing any vbacs at all anymore.

That said - my dh was uncomfortable with hb after two c's (i believe mine were due to the use of pitocin in my labors) so we opted to do all the prenatal thru the midwife at the birthing center and have her attend at the hospital. I did have my vba2c natural birth in the hospital and it went really really well. Everyone was extremely respectful of our wishes for the labor and birth, my son stayed with me and never left my room once and I was discharged and home 12 hours later to babymoon.

It was really ok... we made it be ok. I hope you have the birth you want tho. If you want to talk feel free to pm me
#12 of 17 Old 02-03-2004, 09:58 AM

Lonnie Morris has a strong personality and used to have a BC in Englewood. I chose not to use her, when I lived in NJ, but hear she is great. I did use her BC when it was operating and found the politics there to be annoying and hurtful. After that experience, I began my homebirthing journey. But the MW in NJ charge way too much for a HB in my opinion.

I also used a few other MW in NJ and would like to be a reference for you. There are some great ones and some awful ones there. I'd consider going over to PA if you can. I also hear that BC in Bryn Mawr is excellent.

Feel free to PM me.
#13 of 17 Old 02-06-2004, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A birth center would not take me either- they said I was "high risk"~~~ What a load of crap! They sent me all over to talk to other docs and yada ya!

I would say do a homebirth- midwives take VBACs and it is not a huge deal. The problem with birth centers is that if their stats go over a certin amount they will get closed down. They cant take anyone that even blinks wrong- that is the truth! if you were missing a pinky nail they would turn you down- lol...

I was so upset when I was preggo over the ordeal- See if you can find a midwife and if money is tight it would be a good idea to start maybe a payment plan now so that you dont have to worry about it dring the pregnancy. Just an idea- I know they can get costly!

Dont worry if you decide to have your baby at home you will like it so much better!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#14 of 17 Old 02-08-2004, 12:49 AM

The Birth centers here in FL will do VBAC. I wonder if it is just the policy of that certain birth center?
#15 of 17 Old 02-08-2004, 01:32 AM

The Birth Centers here wouldn't take me (carrying twins--that's it) but I wasn't interested anyway with a BC birth. I searched and searched and at 28 weeks I found a MW here and my friend a MW out of state came in as well. I went past my due date, had breech babies at home...
#16 of 17 Old 02-08-2004, 07:45 AM

cortsmommy...here is augustine....she is a great resource and gave give you better and more current information about MW in NJ. hth....

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hreadid=108362
#17 of 17 Old 02-08-2004, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I've actually by chance met Augustine already. I'm going to give her a call.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page