Tell me about birthing your 9lb+ baby! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
It didn't help that his head was 15" in diameter! My largest head before that was 13.5".
i sure hope you mean circumference!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#32 of 53 Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
i sure hope you mean circumference!
yeah, circumference.LOL

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#33 of 53 Old 07-16-2009, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DD1 was 9 lbs. I had her at 38 weeks. I pushed maybe four times inside of 5 minutes. Very easy and fast labor/birth. Labor was 3 hours.

DD2 was 8 lbs., 9 oz, so not 9+, but a good size. Labor was 47 minutes and I pushed for less than a minute. I think it was like three small pushes and she was out. Very, very precipitous birth. The bridge of her nose was bruised and her eyes were bloodshot from how fast it was.

Assuming all goes well this time I'm preparing for a 9-10+ pound baby. Bring it on!!!

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#34 of 53 Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
It didn't help that his head was 15" ! My largest head before that was 13.5".
Yeah, I keep looking at my 5 day old's head and can't believe I pushed her out! Her head was 38.5 cm curcumference ( a bit over 15"). I don't even want to imagine the state my neder parts were left in after all that
#35 of 53 Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZoeJane View Post
So, I am interested in hearing about the birth of your 9 pound+ baby. Did you have a successful vaginal birth? Under what circumstances did you go into labor? Did you require intervention? Were there positions you found helpful during labor?
My larger babies have been easier than the small ones, for real. I had a csection with my first, 9lbs something (hey, it's been 14 years) and he was FTP. My first vbac was induced and she was 8lbs, my following vbacs were 9.5lbs, 10.2lbs, 9lbs, 9lbs, 10.5lbs, 11.2lbs. The first two vbacs were induced, the others were all self-starting ;-) at 8 days to 14 days over the due date. With the last two, we did have SD, but dh was able to resolve with a little help from me (ie, knees to the chest, then flipping to hands and knees)

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#36 of 53 Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 PM

I gave birth to 17 1/2 inch shoulders on a 10 lb 2 oz baby girl, and 17 inch shoulders on an 11 lb boy. I'm about 5 ft 4 1/2. My advice would be that you want to keep things as open and as slow as you can. The slower you go, the more of a chance your pelvis has to open fully.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#37 of 53 Old 07-16-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, you ladies ROCK! Thank you for all the awesome accounts of your births! What goddessses you all are!

I am very glad to say that my midwife is completely cool with helping me be as mobile as possible. She is a hospital midwife, but other than hospital protocol (such as requiring a 20 minute fetal monitoring strip upon admission and listening with the dopppler once every hour thereafter) she is all about me walking, squatting, using the birthing ball, etc.

I just pray I can hold off on pain meds that would otherwise tie me to the bed.... but I fully intend on staying home as long as possible. I birthed DD with a nearly 4th degree episiotomy and forceps assistance about an hour and a half after they took away my epidural. If I can live through that while tied to a bed, I'm feeling pretty confidant about making it through this time with no pain meds if I can at least be moving around.

Oh, and to Lineymom:

Quote:
I used a cnm and she and the docs in her practice all took turns filling of my belly saying it was about 8lbs.

Oh, they were both high when I went into labor and still when pushing started. I pushed for 45mins with #1 and 20mns with #2.
Had to re-read this before I caught onto the fact that you were talking about the baby's STATION being "high" and not the doctors. LMAO!

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#38 of 53 Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 AM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#39 of 53 Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 AM

I'm 5'4" and my midwife says I have a narrow pelvis. I had no problems at all pushing out DS who was nine pounds even. I labored mostly in a tub, and puhed on the bed on my hands and knees.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#40 of 53 Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM

My last baby was 9lbs 9oz at 38 weeks. Labor was completely *painless* and we got in the hot tub in our back yard at 8cm. I pushed him out in kind of a hands and knees/reverse squat in the water. He even had a nuchal hand! I am 5'7" and our first two were 8lbs 14oz and 8lbs 15oz. My midwife was wonderful and his birth was magnificent!

Amy

Wife to K since 6/95 Mommy to "The Fellas" ages 13, 10 and 8 and our rainbow girly 12/09.
Always remembering my babies who could not stay '08 '08 '09
#41 of 53 Old 07-17-2009, 05:25 PM

My third baby was 9 lbs 4oz. He was a drug free birth. I didn't tear and he had a huge head. It took only 4 hours of labor and I pushed three times with him. He was the easiest birth I had.

Roger Daniel-12/29/04, Isadora Elizabeth-10/12/07, William Augustus-12/16/08, Samuel Joseph EDD 10/21/09 and Alexander James 12/10/10
#42 of 53 Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Wow, you ladies ROCK! Thank you for all the awesome accounts of your births! What goddessses you all are!

I am very glad to say that my midwife is completely cool with helping me be as mobile as possible. She is a hospital midwife, but other than hospital protocol (such as requiring a 20 minute fetal monitoring strip upon admission and listening with the dopppler once every hour thereafter) she is all about me walking, squatting, using the birthing ball, etc.

I just pray I can hold off on pain meds that would otherwise tie me to the bed.... but I fully intend on staying home as long as possible. I birthed DD with a nearly 4th degree episiotomy and forceps assistance about an hour and a half after they took away my epidural. If I can live through that while tied to a bed, I'm feeling pretty confidant about making it through this time with no pain meds if I can at least be moving around.

Oh, and to Lineymom:

Had to re-read this before I caught onto the fact that you were talking about the baby's STATION being "high" and not the doctors. LMAO!
Yes, you definitely want gravity on your side and you want to feel what's going on so you can move into good positions. Your baby needs to be able to help with his birth and can't do that drugged up. My midwives were amazed at my sons actions of getting his own shoulders unstuck. He was in for a full minute stuck and then corkscrewed himself out the opposite way of the way she was trying to turn him and he came right out. If you're expecting a big baby, it's best to go natural. My last birth would have been c-section in a hospital. I couldn't have pushed him out on my back and no dr. is going to sit on the ground holding my cervix in place while I scream on a birthing stool. I'm sure my midwife had bruised shoulders from my squeezing her. Recovery is better too because you can help yourself with the birth, move into better positions or hold things that hurt into place with your hands.

Good luck! I hope you get your natural birth. It's normal to cry and scream for help, drugs, something, anything, but have someone on your side who can talk some sense into you.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#43 of 53 Old 07-17-2009, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I was a 9+lb.er and my 2 youngest daughters were as well. DD3 was 9.12 and DD4 was 9.4 I think. I can not recall any problems with either one of them due to their size. They were born at 41+ weeks and 44 weeks past lmp but I don't chart so I couldn't say for sure what their gestation was. They were both born at home.

#44 of 53 Old 07-18-2009, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So, I am interested in hearing about the birth of your 9 pound+ baby. Did you have a successful vaginal birth? Under what circumstances did you go into labor? Did you require intervention? Were there positions you found helpful during labor?
I'm a little concerned by your midwife's (already) comments about the possibility of inducing at 42 weeks based on measurements being ahead. Estimating birth weight in the later part of the pregnancy is well-known to be so inaccurate that it seems foolish to plan medical interventions around it. Nevermind, that it would be taking action on a non-harmful trend that you've exhibited throughout the pregnancy. Wouldn't it be more alarming if someone who had charted large throughout the pregnancy suddenly dropped off the bottom of the curve?

Anyway, moving on. . .

No problem - you really are built for this.

I'm taller than you are, and was a not-huge newborn (just over 8.5 lb) My husband was his mom's largest or second largest of 8 kids (around 9 lb).

Our three singletons (prior to "normal-sized" #4 & #5 - twins) were:
9lb 14.25 oz
9lb 1 oz
11lb 1.5 oz

Of this, I had relatively low-intervention hospital births. (First had some "normal practices" I later refused). I was happy with how the first birth went at the time and things proceeded well. But I later realized that a lot of the pain, tearing, etc was the result of me not knowing what I was doing, despite lots of (albeit more mainstream) reading. Directed pushing, etc.

Second birth I had it figured out. Easy delivery with perhaps 10 minute pushing stage.

Third birth - the easiest. Should have just stopped and birthed him in the car. Baby born with no voluntary pushing, over two back-to-back expulsion-like contractions a few seconds apart. This was after we screeched the wheelchair into the room. The nurse yanked my pants down, I tried to turn to hitch up onto the bed, and his head was out before my behind hit that bed.

Lessons learned: 1) The mental game of learning how to manage the pain is the most important. 2) The longer you stay out of the hospital, the smoother everything goes.

I think you should expect the baby will be large and feel just as assured that the baby's size is of no issue at all.

For your questions directly:
All vaginal births. No inductions. All three were 40 weeks, 5 days up to 41 weeks 4 days. One shot of useless and upsetting Demerol in first delivery as well as the "routine" heplock. Second birth, electronic monitoring for some of the apx 1 hour we were at the hospital. Nothing else. All three cases, doctors clamp far too quickly despite our requests and get antsy about the placenta for no reason.

MY FAVOURITE LABOUR POSITION
(which I discovered accidentally due to my long car trips to hospital). After the pleasant "walking around/housework" of early labour, when things get going, my best position is to sit on a firm chair, with my knees spread quite wide. Lean forward deeply so that belly is pressing into thighs and lower back is stretched. VERY much better than other positions (for me).

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#45 of 53 Old 07-19-2009, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My 10lb 6oz baby was by far my easiest birth. It was also my 1st unassisted birth though so I think that played a huge part in how "easy" it felt.

I was in an upright position every moment of labor- standing, squatting, kneeling. I birthed him in a kneel. I did not get the slightest tear! I didn't even have the teeniest burn upon urination afterward. I was shocked by that. I blamed it on the upright positioning.

I didn't have any problems during pregnancy, labor or birth. I did hemorrhage afterward but I always do that. He was my 4th baby. My births have been drug free except for Staidol with my first.

Link to my birth story.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#46 of 53 Old 07-19-2009, 05:27 PM

My birthstory is Here

First baby, 42 weeker, 9 lbs even, unmedicated vaginal birth.
#47 of 53 Old 07-19-2009, 05:52 PM

My birth story is here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1096660

Elliot was born at home - 10 lbs 10 oz. No tears, my easiest birth (my other two were 7 lbs each).

Mama/stepmama of 4 goofy girls (7/99, 11/00, 4/03, and 12/08) and co-parent with my favorite husband. We do this stuff - : : : : : :
#48 of 53 Old 07-19-2009, 05:56 PM

my last 2 babies were 9lbs 5 oz and 9lbs 3 oz (both born at home). i am just under 5'4" and around 115 lbs. to be honest, neither of them were particularly easy births, considering they were babies #3 and #4. then again, none of my births were easy

my 3rd baby i pushed 30 minutes, she had sticky shoulders and was a water birth.

my last baby i pushed 40 minutes.

i had no tears, bruising or skid marks with either of them.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#49 of 53 Old 07-19-2009, 06:06 PM

My firstborn DS1 was 9 lbs, 5 ozs. 14 3/4 inch head, 15 inch chest. He was just HUGE! Square broad, very long baby.

I'm big- 5'9" almost 5 10. I'm broad through the hips (bones). I delivered him with no pit, no pain meds, no asistance. I pushed in a squat for a while, then braced my feet on the sides of the bed, sitting up very high with my knees pulled up to my armpits and my hips tilted front. It sounds akward, but it was what I needed to do to get him down. I had two very small labial tears.

I felt his shoulders hit my perineum straight across, and said, "Oh, SHOULDERS!"

but the midwife eased his one shoulder out, and out he came. I loved labor with him, because I could feel everything and knew each stage I was at. He helped, pushing up with his feet at each contraction- it took my breath away. I had a very distinct and instincive need to push. My body actually started pushing by itself, I could not stop it.

DS2 was smaller. 8 lbs, 12 ozs, 14 inch head. His labor was pure H***! Oh well. I agree with the PP who said smaller babies can get down in bad positions while big babies have less room and have t come out right. With him, I never knew I was in active labor until transition, and I had no urge to push.

I think my pelvis was just made for big babies!!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#50 of 53 Old 07-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Banned

DD was 9 lbs 8 oz at birth, born at a hospital (as planned) with a MW (as planned but she almost missed it) with no interventions (as planned).

When I was preg with DD, I lifted a lot of weights and was in great shape before I gave birth. According to measurements, my MW said I'd have a 7 pounder but me and my 4 sibs were 9 1/2 pounds so I was convinced she'd be big.

I went into labor naturally around 1:30 in the morning and at 7 am, DH, our doula and I went to the hospital. I was bossy in labor (unlike life ) so the nurses said they'd check but they were sure I was only 4 cm. Well, I was 10 cm and DD was +1. My MW was called and made it in time for me to push DD out. I had her squatting and the cord was once around her neck so the MW somersaulted her out of me. Voila.

I had a skid mark that required a few stitches and my pelvic floor was a little more sore than most womens but I recovered. I think it was because I pushed while squatting the whole time.

I too am 5'7" and have birthin' hips. My mom OTOH, is 5'11" and has small hips and pushed out 4 kids over 9 pounds, with no pain meds, probably on her back.

I am pregnant with #2, am not in as good shape as with DD and am pretty sure I'll have another 9 pounder. Wish me luck.

I'm sure you'll do great!!!
#51 of 53 Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 AM

All three of my babies have been over 9lbs at birth. They were all uncomplicated vaginal births. I had a small upward tear with my first but I blame that on pushing semi-sitting with epidural coached pushing and perineal massage. Babies 2 and 3 had 15 inch heads and I did not tear with either of them (natural births). Baby #3 even had his arm on his head when he came out and along with his big head and being 9.5lbs, I have had seriously no recovery at all. Easiest birth yet.
#52 of 53 Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 AM

my son was 10lbs 2 oz and i gave birth in 2 hours 40 minutes. i woke up at 1 am and ate 2 hard boiled eggs. woke up at 2 am with the biggest poo ever and bloody show. contractions started to get really intense about 15 minutes later. called the midwife she said to try and shower to get things to slow down. they got worse instead. my water broke at 3:30 am and then i went and laid side ways on the bed and the baby started to move down. i thought he was coming out of my butt for sure. the midwife arrived at 4:20 ish? and said i could start pushing and he was born at 4:40am. i pushed way too hard and tore. we went to the hospital for stiches and this was worse then the birth. so let your body stretch you out and do the pushing to avoid tearing! but you can do it!!

#53 of 53 Old 07-20-2009, 09:41 AM

My third was 9 lbs even and born at home w/i 3 hours. The midwife didn't make it. I had some scrapes, but no tearing. I'll be back with the link to my birth!

Camellia Grace

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page