Why Decide on Getting an Epidural BEFORE Labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally understand why women would want the option of an epidural. But I just honestly can't understand why women would definitely chose to have it well in advance of labor (for the 1st baby that is - so they've never experienced any labor.)

I have to think that for this to be the case, women truly believe:
1. The epidural is risk-free (or, the risks are like one-in-a-million, so they aren't worth worrying about)
2. Birth is always horribly painful
3. There is no benefit to actually feeling the birth of your child (i.e. birth is just plain painful & there's just no value in feeling any of it.)

Wouldn't you have to believe those things in order to decide in advance of labor, with certainty, that you want the epidural? or am I way off base?

I just find that sad because, as we know here, none of that is even remotely true. I just wish women would at least be open-minded to experiencing something so amazing. But to decide in advance to close down the possibility, well, I can't help but feel that that is just sad.
MegBoz is offline  
#2 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 PM
 
SandraS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because you don't get a medal for doing it natural.
Because the drugs are absolutely harmless, my doc said so.
Because I don't want to be a martyr.
Because it might hurt a little.
Because it's the way it's done.
Because my doc said it's the way it's done.
Because every movie shows the needle in the spine so it must be okay.
Because no one will know I did it naturally so why go through that?
Because the book I read (WTEWYE) said it's the way it's done.
Because my best friend, sister, cousin, and every woman on my mainstream birth board had one and loved it.
Because I don't mind being paralyzed from the waist down and having a catheter and not being able to walk and having to stay for three days.
Because only hippies go natural.

Should I go on?

I don't know why. Before the sperm ever hit the egg for my first, I knew I would never even take a Tylenol in labor. Was never an option for me. Hopefully some day epidurals will be the exception, not the rule.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
SandraS is offline  
#3 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
 
zinemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: from the fire roads to the interstate
Posts: 6,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How's about: because I know how I deal with pain and I don't want to deal with the pain of labor, which is - from all accounts - going to be worse than any pain I have yet encountered.

This was not my reason - I didn't get one - but I would not presume to judge someone who did think this way. Given that labor was, both times, the worst pain I have endured in my life.
zinemama is offline  
#4 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 PM
 
francie024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: : )
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I often wonder too. Pitocin and Epi greatly increase your risk of needing a c-section. In some hospitals, the section rate is nearing 50%!!!! I guess some women don't care or believe their doctors BLINDLY. It's like the blind leading the blind.

And then there is all the "big baby" fear which docs are great at. "We have to induce you NOW! Your baby is getting too big!" And it's common knowledge that pitocin contractions are hard and spasmodic. So they want the epi in advance.

Why not just let the baby come on it's own and avoid the c-section?? A few hours of pain is better than a risky surgery and long recovery.

I've had so many friends wind up with a section. I only know 2 fellow mamas who didn't have one. Sad.

~francie~
francie024 is offline  
#5 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM
 
purplemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because they don't know that with that pain comes something so mind-blowingly cool that they choose to throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.

I think in trying to not upset fellow mamas on the joys of natural birth, we keep the secret that with great pain come great triumph. However, I am not saying that getting an epi is a bad thing, I have heard of births where I think it is awesome that choice is available!

But, to say you can somehow avoid pain in childbirth is the biggest fallacy there is. The baby is coming out somehow and you will feel that it is happening or that it has happened.

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
purplemoon is offline  
#6 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 PM
 
LionessMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
because they are scared.


the only reason i can think of why they would choose it BEFORE they go into labor.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
LionessMom is offline  
#7 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
Because I don't mind being paralyzed from the waist down and having a catheter and not being able to walk and having to stay for three days.
It's funny. When my sister go the epi, she told me it was "awesome". DS1 was 2 then, and I'd only had one c-section...no natural birth, but 20+ hours of labour. I was looking at her, lying in bed, and unable to move her lower body, and I felt freaked. I honestly can't imagine signing up for voluntary paralysis. I hate getting a spinal for surgery. Just reading what you wrote here gave me the chills. Yuck.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#8 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 PM
 
zinemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: from the fire roads to the interstate
Posts: 6,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemoon View Post
Because they don't know that with that pain comes something so mind-blowingly cool that they choose to throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.
I really can't agree with this. I didn't have an epidural. And yes, my birth contained mind-blowing coolness. That mind-blowing moment occurred the minute the baby was out of my body, as soon as I realized it was over and I had done it. Prior to that, labor was a horribly painful, exhausting, seemingly neverending ordeal. No sparkles and unicorns for this mama.

So I have to question the assumption that women who get epidurals somehow cheat themselves out of that fabulous moment when you see your baby and realize that you have given birth. We all have that moment, epidural or not. I think it's awfully demeaning to assert that women who get the epi experience none of the exhilaration anyone else does when a child is born.
zinemama is offline  
#9 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 06:44 PM
 
HisBeautifulWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: It costs too much
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you looked around at how society portrays birth?

That should answer your question.
HisBeautifulWife is offline  
#10 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 06:52 PM
 
purplemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
I really can't agree with this. I didn't have an epidural. And yes, my birth contained mind-blowing coolness. That mind-blowing moment occurred the minute the baby was out of my body, as soon as I realized it was over and I had done it. Prior to that, labor was a horribly painful, exhausting, seemingly neverending ordeal. No sparkles and unicorns for this mama.

So I have to question the assumption that women who get epidurals somehow cheat themselves out of that fabulous moment when you see your baby and realize that you have given birth. We all have that moment, epidural or not. I think it's awfully demeaning to assert that women who get the epi experience none of the exhilaration anyone else does when a child is born.
No, it isn't demeaning at all. They get the cool moment of meeting their baby! And in the end, that is the best moment of all.

But, you take away the pain, you take away the endorphins, ergo you take away the "rush". It is science, not just conjecture. The fact is they don't get the rush, but they do lose the pain. You can't get both. And sometimes, sadly, in your case you just got one (the pain).

However, I do know that it isn't strangely uncommon that the rush just doesn't get there for whatever reason, and that's ok too.

But I would like most women to know that in the majority of births that aren't impeded they will get that. And it is awesome!

Also, I like telling women that there is a 15% epidural failure rate (um, me) and that PLEASE be prepared for natural anyway!

And, with the pain (that I wasn't enjoying) I was suprised by my little meditations with the universe in labor land, and then decided there was something to natural labor after all. And then the more I researched, the more I figured it was pretty cool indeed!

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
purplemoon is offline  
#11 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 06:59 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 11,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
How's about: because I know how I deal with pain and I don't want to deal with the pain of labor, which is - from all accounts - going to be worse than any pain I have yet encountered.

This was not my reason - I didn't get one - but I would not presume to judge someone who did think this way. Given that labor was, both times, the worst pain I have endured in my life.
:

Also because of a sexual trauma (or other trauma) which would make feeling things in that area unbearable mentally/emotionally.

Honestly natural birth isn't always this amazing rewarding experience for everyone. Some women aren't willing to risk that. Some women are well aware of their boundaries. Though I may never have had a bone placed I know it's going to hurt. It's not rocket science with birth really. You got one side saying it is the worse pain ever and another saying it is the most amazing experience and the pain is nothing. Well you know not always and that goes for both sides. Realistically birth hurts. Looking at the process itself it would be pretty darn ridiculous to think it wouldn't even just a little without some hardcore mental prep to aid you and even then there is no guarantee.

Why do women choose to get epis before they even experience labor? For a variety of reasons none of which are our concern.

Quote:
Because I don't mind being paralyzed from the waist down and having a catheter and not being able to walk and having to stay for three days.
I had an epidural with my first. Couldn't stand it because I couldn't feel anything. But stay there for 3 days? I didn't and every friend I have had who has was out the next day as well.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#12 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 11,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemoon View Post
No, it isn't demeaning at all. They get the cool moment of meeting their baby! And in the end, that is the best moment of all.

But, you take away the pain, you take away the endorphins, ergo you take away the "rush". It is science, not just conjecture. The fact is they don't get the rush, but they do lose the pain. You can't get both. And sometimes, sadly, in your case you just got one (the pain).

However, I do know that it isn't strangely uncommon that the rush just doesn't get there for whatever reason, and that's ok too.
My last birth I had no rush. It was completely natural and left me with PTSD. The rush is also no guarantee when you have the pain and frankly that rush after that long labor would not have been worth what I endured or what it meant for my baby and I afterward. Even in getting the rush natural birth can leave a woman beaten emotionally and mentally let alone physically. The rush is little consolation when that happens.

This is the reality of birth- it can be amazing and it can be traumatic and everything in between. I think if we are really sincere about birth education we need to prepare women for both and be open with them about their options in both scenarios and not guilt them when they find themselves with the less ideal.

Quote:
Also, I like telling women that there is a 15% epidural failure rate (um, me) and that PLEASE be prepared for natural anyway!
I completely agree and have said the same thing myself with my friends who choose the epidural. Be prepared in birth always.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#13 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 07:19 PM
 
purplemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
My last birth I had no rush. It was completely natural and left me with PTSD. The rush is also no guarantee when you have the pain and frankly that rush after that long labor would not have been worth what I endured or what it meant for my baby and I afterward. Even in getting the rush natural birth can leave a woman beaten emotionally and mentally let alone physically. The rush is little consolation when that happens.

This is the reality of birth- it can be amazing and it can be traumatic. I think if we are really sincere about birth education we need to prepare women for both and be open with them about their options in both scenarios and not guilt them when they find themselves with the less ideal.


I completely agree and have said the same thing myself with my friends who choose the epidural. Be prepared in birth always.
As I said, there are births that I have heard that make me glad that an epidural is a choice available. If birth is very traumatic, we should use the resources available to lesson it (if possible) and an epidural may be high on the list of resources.

But, while the rush isn't THE REASON to have a natural birth, it is a great bonus that shocked me (as I said, my first was unintentionally natural) and shouldn't be as discounted as it often is.

It should be embraced (but warned that it may not happen) as should the reality that birth is such a crap shoot there is no planning for the unplannable.

However, there are two camps. The women that want a natural birth and like non-mainstream boards and research and then expect a high (because they heard about how cool it was) and then the mainstream moms who expect the epidural upon admission and know nothing of any high at all and had no idea it existed.

Just an observation with the last paragraph...

Maybe what is better is to plan but expect nothing.

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
purplemoon is offline  
#14 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
 
Evergreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Where all the women are strong
Posts: 5,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The concensus from women who want the epidural before labor is that they don't like pain. Honestly, I've planned two home births (Ava was a transfer but still natural) and I can get where they are coming from. Some people just don't like pain. There is a lot of the "my doctor wouldn't give me anything dangerous" mentality too though.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Evergreen is offline  
#15 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 07:36 PM
 
momtoluke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm, I don't think it's sad that a woman would choose well before she's had a baby to have an epidural. It's her choice to make and maybe your assertion is correct in that all women do not value the journey that is childbirth. So what?

The only thing I think is important when it comes to childbirth is the choice (if we're lucky, since really it is out of our control) to birth how you want. If the choices are there, then who cares how another woman chooses to birth her child? I think The Business of Being Born did a lot to bring Natural/Homebirth into the mainstream...opening up people's minds about birth. For some, maybe they never considered anything other than hospital/epi births b/c that appears to be the norm, that's all they know. I had *never* even heard of homebirth as it exists today until after the birth of my son. All the while I was pregnant with him I had a lackadaisical approach to childbirth. I didn't care one way or other. I knew I didn't want a section, but I thought I'll get the epi if/when I want it and if not, that will be fine too. Epidural/hospital birth was all I knew. Of course, with such an approach to birth, I got an epidural and I don't regret it at all. I was completely exhausted after birth...pushing 3 hours. I can say I didn't have the "high" that I hear natural birthing mamas talk about b/c I was just seriously spent.

Ironically, my DH seemed to be more in touch with childbirth and it's magnitude during my pregnancy that I was. He would say, "Yes. I think you can do it w/o an epidural. It's a rite of passage to birth a baby. Women have been doing it for thousands of years." Etc. etc. Of course, that was just talk b/c it wasn't until after the birth of our DS that I began actually looking into natural birth. It was definitely eye opening!! I do want to add that I had a pleasant, non-traumatic birth at a hospital, although it was very different than what I thought it would be. I just had no idea that unless you say otherwise, you're pretty much pushed through the assembly line for a factory birth. Undress, gown, IV, bed, period. The End. I was seriously undereducated about that aspect. Seriously...even shows like "The Baby Story" led me to believe my nurses would have me walking the halls, sitting on a ball, essentially catering to me and my needs as a woman in labor. Yeah, not so much. Hence the reason I am happy I had the epidural b/c I could not deal with the pain stuck in a bed.

Anyhoo, I said all that to say that unless you have some experience in which you learn otherwise, honestly I think many women don't even consider birth w/o epidural b/c they really don't know about the alternative. I mean, it's not like most OB's actually take it upon themselves to talk to you and educate you about your choices. For me, while it was just fine, the birth of my son was that experience that made me look into a different way to birth. I had envisioned something different, but the epi was not the deciding factor for me to deem my birth successful.

Okay, that was some crazy rambling!
momtoluke is offline  
#16 of 123 Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 PM
 
wombatclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: running the red queen's race
Posts: 14,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is hospital policy or financial planning... some smaller hospitals don't have 24/7 anesthesia support (and request that women include a yes/no response to whether or not they want an epidural during the pre-registration paperwork) and some insurance companies do not cover routine epidurals so that expense needs to be pre-planned as well (especially if a care provider requires payment in full/a specific payment amount prior to the birth).

(and because I know the question that always comes up in regards to small hospitals... there is an on-call anesthesiologist for emergencies and a life-flight helecopter for people who need more than our local hospitals can provide. A delay in emergency medical service/lack of "high tech" medical care is just one trade off for choosing to live in a certain region.)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

wombatclay is offline  
#17 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 AM
 
BetsyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: world of craziness
Posts: 5,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Before my first baby, I planned on having an epidural.

I wanted to labor as long as I could without it, but I wanted an epidural before I actually gave birth. Why? Because I've seen lots of births, and the idea of stitches in an un-numbed bottom is HORRENDOUS to me. I have seen many, many women describe the worst part of their labor/birth experience as the stitches afterwards. And, I know that, even with a 4th degree tear, most practitioners and anesthesiologists are reluctant to give an epidural just for repair.

I knew I was going to have a big baby (and I was right--he weighed 11 lb, 14 oz), and I figured there would be stitches.

Weird, but there you go.

As it turns out, I got an epidural for pain relief 17 hours into my 36 hour labor. It stopped working, I had it replaced, #2 stopped working, we pulled it out, I labored med-free for a while, and then, when it was looking like a c-section was inevitable, I had epidural #3 placed. I did have a c-section. And, I'm okay with all my epidurals. The pain was bad. Really bad. Even with the epidural I screamed like someone that labors high on crack. I'm not the best girl to deal with pain.
BetsyS is offline  
#18 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 AM
 
laohaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the "because I'm scared" sums it up pretty well, and the OP's list breaks it down pretty well.

I had a natural (home) birth because 1) I believe there are benefits to retaining feeling and 2) I'm one of those people who don't seem to process most drugs very well, and they make me feel very strange and sick and out of control.

On the other hand - I have a crunchy holistic dentist, and he always asks if I want novocaine before he drills my cavities (some of his patients apparently decline). And my reaction is exactly like many women's when considering birth: "of course, are you crazy??" I do not believe there is any benefit to retaining feeling, I am scared of the pain, and I believe the drug is safe for me (unlike most drugs, novacaine seems fine to me, though my dentist only uses 1/3 of the usual amount for me and it numbs me up 100%).

So, while I made a different choice for birthing, I can definitely see why some women just don't even want to give it a second thought and just choose the "comfortable and safe" option.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

laohaire is offline  
#19 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 AM
 
littlebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I pretty much agree with all the above comments. But I also think it is just a societal standard. There was a time when epidurals weren't so commonplace (long, long time ago) and women had other avenues to mentally prepare for a natural, drug-free birth to cope with pain and endurance. That is obviously not the case very often anymore. Women are built up from their first baby on to believe that the pain of childbirth is just so horrible that it's the end of the world. Get a gaggle of women together who've had kids and all of them (at least in my experience) will tell you the horror stories of how horrible their labor pain was before they got their epidural. After hearing story after story like that and mentally dragging you down, who wouldn't assume they'd have to have an epidural?

Even from women who've never had their own children, I have gotten the weirdest, most extreme statements. Several of my old co-workers, in response to learning I'm planning a drug-free homebirth, told me, "You'll never be able to do it without an epidural - do you know how much it's going to hurt?" Of course I know it's going to hurt, but because I've had wonderful midwives who have one, taught me to have full trust in myself and my baby and two, given me so many tools to deal with pain and discomfort during labor, I know that I'll be able to weather the storm. This is not the type of mindset one receives in a typical OB or hospital setting. Being surrounded by other homebirthers with the same mindset and some who have given birth naturally without drugs has done wonders for my confidence and excitement over our impending birth.

I knew long before I was PG that I would want a fully nature, drug-free birth. I studied the birth process and I'm convinced there is pain for a reason. And that it goes beyond 'rite of passage'. Pain sets of different types of hormones in the labor process that physiologically encourage other things to happen (stronger contractions to further advance the baby, etc.). When you take away the pain and interfer, the natural birthing process is interrupted, hence the climbing number of c-sections. I live in Atlanta and all of our hospitals have an outrageous number of c-sections. The one hospital dubbed 'the baby factory' because it is the birthing capitol of the southeast has a c-section rate of 49%.

And it absolutely drives me crazy when someone has the nerve to say, "You know you don't get a medal for doing it naturally". I mean, really, do any of us choose to do it because we think we'll get a pat on the back? And it kills me that it's other women that typically say that instead of offering something encouraging from one woman to another.

Andi, 32 - SAHM to Aaron Patriot born at home on 8/7/09 and devoted wife to Paul. : EC, Non-Circ ::
littlebb is offline  
#20 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
 
mom-to-jj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=MegBoz;14123720]I totally understand why women would want the option of an epidural. But I just honestly can't understand why women would definitely chose to have it well in advance of labor (for the 1st baby that is - so they've never experienced any labor.)

Because your mother told you while you were pregnant that every year on your oldest sibling's birthday, she thinks, "This is the anniversary of the worst day of my life," and she said she wanted to die when he was being born. Because you don't want those kinds of memories when you think about your own child's birth.

Because every friend you know IRL (i.e. not on MDC) who experienced both natural and epi births said they would always choose the epi in the future. Because even the ones whose labors went too fast for the epi said they wished they'd asked for it in time.

Because your DH can't give you longer than a 3-minute backrub while you are pregnant, and you know when you get to labor he is not going to have the stamina or the stomach to give you the support you will need, and the idea of watching him stand helplessly by while you are writhing in pain makes you want to strangle him even now.

Because you don't believe that choosing an epi invalidates the right of passage to motherhood just because you didn't feel the contractions, the ring of fire, the stitches, or the OB's hand inside of you groping for retained placenta.

Because you've weighed the risks versus the benefits and decided that although you admire women who choose natural as being amazingly strong and courageous, you are glad the choice of the epi is available to you because it is the best option for you personally.

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
mom-to-jj is offline  
#21 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 PM
 
bullfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: on a log in the lake
Posts: 2,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or how about this reason:

You've researched and weighed your options and you are making the best informed decision for yourself.

Not everything people do that we don't agree with is because they are misinformed or downright dumb.
bullfrog is offline  
#22 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
 
Baby_Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Because every friend you know IRL (i.e. not on MDC) who experienced both natural and epi births said they would always choose the epi in the future. Because even the ones whose labors went too fast for the epi said they wished they'd asked for it in time.
I don't think I know you IRL, but I've had both and I would choose my natural birth every time.

Quote:
How's about: because I know how I deal with pain and I don't want to deal with the pain of labor, which is - from all accounts - going to be worse than any pain I have yet encountered.
This is the part I don't understand at all. They don't know this. They don't know that their birth will even be painful. Mine was not (at least, my natural birth was not, but my epi birth was). Everyone's experience is so different. It may be the most painful experience of your life, but it also may not be ...it could actually be enjoyable. You just don't know until you have BTDT.

The sexual/emotional abuse, I can understand. I do understand that there are reasons people do the things they do ...so I'm not saying all cases.

However, to get one when you simply assume it will be painful bothers me. Your birth may not be painful at all. Epi can lead to so many other complications too. Why not wait and see what your labor is like before deciding?
Baby_Vol is offline  
#23 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
 
Baby_Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Not everything people do that we don't agree with is because they are misinformed or downright dumb.
Did someone say that here?

The OP was just asking the question about something she, personally, doesn't understand the reasoning behind.
Baby_Vol is offline  
#24 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 11,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Vol View Post
However, to get one when you simply assume it will be painful bothers me. Your birth may not be painful at all. Epi can lead to so many other complications too. Why not wait and see what your labor is like before deciding?
But the thing is they do experience labor. Everyone has to at one point because you can't just walk in and demand an epidural not being in labor. So really they are waiting and seeing because they can't have a pre-labor epidural.

ETA- if we can ask the above question than we can ask why NOT decide to have one if you don't know how it is going to be? Often times you hear because you just know it is what your body is meant for, the complications of the epidural, etc etc but really the same can be said for choosing to have one- because you know you won't be able to handle the pain, because emotionally/mentally you know that being in that situation could cause long-term issues, and on and on. Really first time moms don't know period either choosing outright to have one or not. It's a double standard to only question those going into it wanting the epidural when not wanting one can be viewed the same.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#25 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
 
kcparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IC, IA
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think people have many reasons. Some I agree with, some I don't, but I think it's very important to recognize that what constitutes an empowering, satisfying birth experience for one woman can be a horrendous trauma to another. This goes both ways - I would avoid a c-section except to save the life of the baby, but my friend who had 5 kids including an unmedicated vaginal twin birth (which would have made me feel like Superwoman) said her c-section under general anesthesia was her favorite birth of all...

Some very good reasons to choose an epidural in advance, in my opinion, include:
- a history of sexual abuse or trauma. Unmedicated birth can be a very deep experience, and it can unleash body memory and emotion that a woman might not want to revisit.
- Not wanting to have the birth in an altered state of consciousness. Some women see birth as a rite of passage, and they want to be in that other endorphin-rush head space. Some women want to be able to carry on a normal conversation with their husbands and enjoy the birth a little bit more as what I might call a "spectator-participant". One level of remove from the birth so that they can experience it with a partner might be preferable to 'going natural', especially if they are fond of being in control and know that a natural birth will wig them out and they will get in the way of their own labor process.
- Having had a prior natural childbirth that was so long, painful, and hard to deal with that you are afraid to do it again. Again, if the fear will get in the way of your ability to relax and let your body do its work, and if you know you are that scared, it's going to make your birth more satisfying and less traumatic to get the anesthesia and let your body do its work.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
kcparker is offline  
#26 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 02:43 PM
 
gcgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I have seen many, many women describe the worst part of their labor/birth experience as the stitches afterwards. And, I know that, even with a 4th degree tear, most practitioners and anesthesiologists are reluctant to give an epidural just for repair.
Don't they usually give a local anesthetic for the stitches? I know they did for me. Why would they sew it up without any anesthetic? That's weird.
gcgirl is offline  
#27 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 02:57 PM
 
TCMoulton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemoon View Post
No, it isn't demeaning at all.
But the way moms who choose an epidural are often described here at MDC is most certainly demeaning.
TCMoulton is offline  
#28 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
Or how about this reason:

You've researched and weighed your options and you are making the best informed decision for yourself.

Not everything people do that we don't agree with is because they are misinformed or downright dumb.
But you can't "research" how labor will feel. You just can't. You can't know in advance how painful it will be for you. It could totally be manageable! You just can't know in advance.

So... people who decide in advance they absolutely, definitely will have the epi MUST be "assuming" that it will be too painful to handle. In that case, I actually would call them "misinformed" because sometimes labor is not painful at all! (Yes, it seems rare, but it IS possible.) So to say with certainty, "My labor will be too painful to me to endure." is sorta misinformed.

ALthough, as others have said, I totally understand about abuse survivors - that is indeed something I hadn't thought of. KCparker also makes an excellent point about wanting to be present mentally & able to hold conversations. That's another point I hadn't thought of.
(Although, personally, I was what I'd describe as mentally "lucid" - clear enough to make small talk between ctrx, remember nurses names, etc.)
MegBoz is offline  
#29 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 11,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
But you can't "research" how labor will feel. You just can't. You can't know in advance how painful it will be for you. It could totally be manageable! You just can't know in advance.

So... people who decide in advance they absolutely, definitely will have the epi MUST be "assuming" that it will be too painful to handle. In that case, I actually would call them "misinformed" because sometimes labor is not painful at all! (Yes, it seems rare, but it IS possible.) So to say with certainty, "My labor will be too painful to me to endure." is sorta misinformed.
Again then the same can be said for those who chose NOT to get the epidural. In both cases mama is misinformed and making assumptions based on something she has no experience in.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#30 of 123 Old 07-23-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoluke View Post
Hmmm, I don't think it's sad that a woman would choose well before she's had a baby to have an epidural. It's her choice to make and maybe your assertion is correct in that all women do not value the journey that is childbirth. So what?
Good question.. yes, so what? why do I care & why do I say it's "sad"?

Well, first, How can you decide you "do not value the journey that is childbirth" before you've even been there? I dont' get it. Growing up, my Mom always told me, "Don't knock it until you've tried it." ALthough, I totally understand about abuse survivors - that is a reason I hadn't thought of.

But, the biggest thing is that, going back to my list in the OP:
1. It's simply not true that epidurals are risk free.
2. It's simply not true that birth is always horribly awfully painful. I know I'm not the only Mama who says, "Yeah, it was painful, but the majority was just cramps- it was only really bad in transition for about 90 minutes & even then I could cope, had a break between ctrx, etc."
3. There is value in feeling childbirth! As others said- it's basic physiology about the feedback mechanisms, the high, etc.

So it makes me sad that people believe falsehoods.
(Yes, I know many women are fully informed when deciding on the epi in advance, but it seems more common that many believe those above 3 falsehoods.)

The other thing is that: I feel like epidurals are a "gateway" to fully medicalized childbirth - which too often is damaging to both Mama & baby. It just seems that too often it leads to a whole cascade of interventions that are damaging all around & that's sad.

The advanced, automatic, pre-labor desire of an epi for me is also demonstrative of the whole sick cultural perception of birth --> it's horrific, awful & dangerous & we need to place ourselves in the hands of Docs to take care of it, the way we would place ourselves in a docs' hands when we need surgery.

That's another part of why I care... I feel like if people question the epidural. they may start to question all the other medical 'management' of birth... which needs to start happening more frequently so we can get evidenced based care!
I.e. taking the viewpoint that: "Hey, maybe the pain level can be manageable & if it stays at a "Manageable" level, I'll forgo the epi since it does have risks"

But opting for an epi means you relinquish some control of your birth experience - and handing over full control to your HCPs in America today... well... let's just say : (Of course, the epi itself isn't to blame here or anything, I'm just sayin' - it's the atrocious whole state of maternity care in America that I care about.)
MegBoz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off