Foley bulb induction - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have experience or information regarding this? Does it work? Ups and downs of it? Just collecting info. Thanks

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#2 of 7 Old 07-22-2009, 10:09 PM

I didn't have this, but as a vbac it was the only induction option offered in my last pregnancy so I did a lot of research. There's some nice info here and here.

Basically, this method "works" in two ways. On the one hand it can be a lot like a membrane sweep... the foley is inserted through the cervix and inflated/filled to lift the membranes off the cervix and stimulate hormone production. On the other hand, the foley is also pressing down evenly/firmly on the cervix in the hopes of manually "opening" the cervix itself. So the goal is a combo of dilation and hormone production, leading to the body kicking into birth mode and taking over the process.

It works for some mamas and not others but it's generally considered the safest induction technique for a vbac mama (since it doesn't involve outside medication). I've been told that it can be really uncomfortable, but a few women have told me they really didn't notice much discomfort.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 7 Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 PM

I like it. I've seen it work most of the time.
#4 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 08:11 PM

I had it done, it was very annoying because the bulb kept popping out. It was done on TOP of pitocin. I wish I could erase that experience from my memory.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#5 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 09:20 PM

I just had a client induced last week who asked her midwife about this option. She was told that because she was already 2cm, it would not be very effective. The idea is that it actually works better on a cervix that is closed, as the mechanical opening of the cervix releases the prostaglandins. For her, it would only go two more cm, since they fall out at 4cm. Just thought I'd share, 'cause I hadn't heard that before. 'Course, this was my first induction (other than my own!).

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#6 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 10:03 PM

I had a successful foley induction with my first vba2c in August 2006. My story is here If you have any more specific questions, i would be happy to answer them!

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#7 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 PM

I had one. It worked and I did not really find it uncomfortable at all.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page