Hospital births: did you have a private recovery room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't personally know anyone who did not have a private recovery room, I'm just curious how this breaks down. My insurance company is refusing to cover the private recovery room. : and it seems rare to me to have a semi-private.
#2 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM

I had a private everything room. It was like a suite. I showed up, gave birth, stayed about 3 hours, and left - all in the same room.

Right across from the nurses' lounge, where I could get coffee. They got smart after #3! LOL!

Edit: If a "public" room isn't available, your insurace will pay for a private one. This is their "out" if a hospital doesn't have private rooms for all their moms - like military hospitals.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#3 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 PM

For my vaginal births, yes. For my c-section, no....but I was the first c-section of the day and nobody else was in there the entire time I was in there. I did have private postpartum rooms for all of them (recovery room was a brief stay each time...even the c-section was just 2 hours).

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Yes. In fact, the private rooms were all full the evening I delivered so we got to stay overnight in the (huge) delivery room which was also private and then moved to a private room the next day until we left.

Mama to a little bouncy girl (11/08) and someone new coming 11/11!
#5 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
Edit: If a "public" room isn't available, your insurace will pay for a private one. This is their "out" if a hospital doesn't have private rooms for all their moms - like military hospitals.
They're telling me I could have chosen to go to some other hospital. They couldn't name one that has semi-private rooms, but the hospital I was at (a community hospital, chosen for ability to give birth naturally, actually more of a dump than the other local hospitals) only has private rooms.
#6 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 PM

nak

not private, ugh, had a roommate, it's all the hospital offers unless there are only a few women there at that time. it was AWFUL!

anyway they should cover it if they allow that hospital!!

-M-, mama to G 4/09joy.gif

#7 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 PM

The hospital where I had DD only has private rooms.
When I have been in the hospital at other times I paid out of pocket for a private room. Its priceless and I would go without many other things before I would consider sharing a room.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#8 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM

How long do you plan on staying? if everything goes well, just go home. You don't have to spend the night or anything... if I HAD to have a shared room, it wouldn't have bothred me too much, I guess - I was only in it long enough to push and get dressed and have a few more cups of coffee and leave... so if you have to find another hospital, that's a thought.

My insurance also has that disclaimer, but since the hospital I deliver at ONLY has private rooms, they paid for it.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#9 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Yes, I had a private post-partum and recovery (c-sections) room all four times. I would not have wanted to share with anyone.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:47 PM

I had the first in a birthing center with a private room where I delivered and recovered. DS2 was born at a crappy hospital where the recovery room was shared. When they tried to move someone in I made a big stink

"who is going to watch the baby while I go to the bathroom? you don't expect me to leave him in a room alone with strangers"

"where is the disinfectant cleaner? I don't want to use the bathroom after some other woman has been dripping her blood all over it"

"how am I and the baby going to get any sleep with another crying baby in here?"

So they moved here somewhere else. Shared recovery rooms make no sense to me at all.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#11 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 PM

I've never heard of shared rooms...both times I labored, birthed and recovered in the same, room alone. I would've hated anything else! hope you get it figured out!
#12 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 08:56 PM

Our hospital doesn't have separate rooms for recovery, so you're in the same one from the time you're admitted and it's private. I can't imagine having to share a room after birth, especially if the hospital promotes/allows rooming-in.
#13 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 09:04 PM

I had private rooms for my first two, but shared for my last. They told me that they generally only put one mom per room even though there were two beds, but there were a ridiculous number of babies born the same night/morning ds was, and there wasn't enough room. I got NO sleep the one night I stayed . I only stayed because ds was a month early and I would have really had to fight to get out of there with him. Thankfully he didn't need to stay any longer.
#14 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM

So, wait - you already had the baby, and they're refusing to pay for the private room at the hospital you went to, even though the hospital only has private rooms? That's messed up. I wonder if the hospital billing department has some advice on how to handle it with them. They might be willing to help you, since they're more likely to get paid that way.
#15 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 PM

The hospital I delivered at had shared and private post-partum rooms. I paid the hospital for everything in cash, and they said they tried to give everyone a private room unless they were super busy. After I delivered I asked for and received a private room at no additional cost.
#16 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 PM

With DD1 they only had private rooms. It was a huge room as well, even had a pull out couch for my husband.
DD2 I ended up with a private room only because it was extremely slow. The nurse actually told me they would try to keep me private no matter what because my daughter was in the NICU. It was hard enough to see all the moms with babies when I didn't have mine, having to share a room with one would have been practically impossible. When I was discharged they had an open room with like 10 beds for any mother whose child was in the NICU and they wanted to stay with them in the hospital. There was one other woman with me in that room. I was just grateful they had a place I could stay at.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#17 of 64 Old 07-30-2009, 11:59 PM

I'm in one right now

Had an emergency c/s last night. I've had 2 vaginal births and always had private rooms, all in different hospitals.

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#18 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 AM

WOW I have never even heard of a shared recovery room! I would not be able to handle that.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#19 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 12:29 AM

Yah, that's pretty old school. My mom told me she had to share a room with a woman who smoked (you COULD back then, can you believe it??) and listened to her tv loudly at night, the whole while trying to talk to the baby's father on the phone and convince him to come to the hospital to meet his newborn child. Nightmare! We switched late in my pregnancy because we learned that we may have to share a recovery room at the small, older hospital my OB delivers at. DH would have had to go home at night, and I would have been a brand new mom, meeting my baby, recovering from a c/s, and trying to learn how to breastfeed. No way! didn't even want to take that chance.

Mary, mama to Adeline (5/12/09) luxlove.gifbrokenheart.gif July 2010 and brokenheart.gif Sept 2011, and Huxley (11/6/12) biggrinbounce.gif  and  stork-suprise.gif October 2014??
#20 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 12:42 AM

For my first birth I had a shared recovery room. You still got to labor and deliver and spend the first five or so hours of recovery in the nice labor suite, but then you got schlepped off to the shared room. There was a curtain and everything for privacy, but it still sucked. My roommate had a big family that came to visit and made a lot of noise when I wanted to sleep. Luckily I got the heck out of there within 24 hrs.

The hospital I had ds and ds2 at had mostly private recovery rooms, but if they run out of space you might have to share. Thankfully I didn't encounter that, although since I'm now on baby #3 I would feel comfortable bailing out of the hospital ASAP.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#21 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 03:19 AM

On the L&D floor, rooms were shared with a big curtain to divide them. There was only one other woman in (very early) labor when I showed up pushing so I got a room to myself. The postpartum floor was all private rooms though.

Absolutely no idea what my insurance *officially* pays for room-wise, they still haven't figured out that I UPed and per their wording, won't cover a hospital birth without doctor referral. Even if they didn't cover private rooms I'd pay the extra out-of-pocket, could not imagine sharing a room immediately postpartum
#22 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 AM

There are no double rooms here for woman who are in labor or just given birth so insurance really has no choice but to cover it. They covered mine no problem and it was a big ol' birthing sweet.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#23 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 03:56 AM

I don't actually remember with my first. I barely remember being there, but I think it was private. It was tiny and the nurses and doctors we terrible there.

The second place I delivered only had private birthing suites. The rooms for planned c-section moms were a little smaller than the ones where they were expecting a vaginal birth, but they were all private. You stayed in the same room for everything (well, except when I went to the OR, but there wasn't a "recovery room", I was just wheeled back to the same room.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#24 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 09:09 AM

I was never moved from room to room. The hospital I went to had a Women's Center and everything (labor, delivery, recovery) happened in the same room. They just converted the bed, turned on the lights and opened some cabinets for equipment when it was time to push. Then fixed my bed back up and I stayed for another day. Baby roomed in, so no one really ever left that room and it was spacious and great. This wasn't because my insurance was great, it was because the hospital was small and well-adapted. Look for a hospital that can accommodate. You're right, it IS rare to move the mom from room to room and to do semi-private. Sounds like you're looking at a big hospital or a more outdated one. Good luck!

Artista , Writer:, Thinker , Yogi Guru and Mama to my small, but quite amazing family!
#25 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 10:57 AM

My recovery room was technically a double, but I had it to myself... until a few hours before I was discharged. At that point the hospital had so many moms in recovery (full moon or something?) that they started doubling us up. (I think it's also why I was discharged that day, *after* they told me they'd keep me an extra day b/c my son had to stay in Special Care. : The pediatrician, OB and nurses didn't seem to be communicating very well.)

I heard, though, that this hospital is relocating to a new building in 3-4 years, and that the new digs will only have private rooms. Since they *strongly* encourage the "partner" to spend the nights with the new mom, and are pro-rooming in, it doesn't make sense to have shared rooms: that's just too many bodies per room overnight.

BTW your insurance sucks. Shame on them. :

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#26 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 11:02 AM

All three times I was in a private LDR room, including the time I did a planned c/s -- they did the OR prep in my room, then walked me down to the OR, extracted the baby, and wheeled us back to my room so we could recover. The other times I labored and, in the case of my VBAC, gave birth in the LDR room and then hung out there until we were ready to go home. That hospital didn't have anything but private rooms. The only time you could be in a room where there were other people is if you were being triaged -- several people could be looked at at once (in little areas separated by curtains) in the L&D ward.

Nealy
mama to T (12/02), L (2/06), and O (12/08)
#27 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would think that shared rooms would have to go out the window with the new HIPPA codes. If a nurse needs to discuss anything with you, there can't be some other random woman and her family in the room. I would tell the insurance company that to share a room would violate your HIPPA rights.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#28 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine45 View Post
They're telling me I could have chosen to go to some other hospital. They couldn't name one that has semi-private rooms, but the hospital I was at (a community hospital, chosen for ability to give birth naturally, actually more of a dump than the other local hospitals) only has private rooms.
Is the hospital in network? If so, this is a bunch of BS. And if it isn't in network and they can't tell you a hospital that is reasonably close that has semi-private rooms, again it is BS. Keep fighting them!

And while there definitely still times people have to do a semi-private situation, it is usually only when a hospital is overcrowded and all the normal recovery rooms are full.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#29 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 12:07 PM

Moving to Birth and Beyond. Thanks

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#30 of 64 Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilki8 View Post
Our hospital doesn't have separate rooms for recovery, so you're in the same one from the time you're admitted and it's private. I can't imagine having to share a room after birth, especially if the hospital promotes/allows rooming-in.
That's how ours is too. I honestly had no idea there are still shared recovery rooms.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page