Newborn Tests & Procedures - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel very fortunate that the hospital we delivered my son at left us alone to nurse and bond for a couple hours before doing weighing, measuring or asking about a bath. THey did the bath when they moved me to a recovery room, which was good because I REALLY needed to empty my bladder and I needed the help of the nurses because of the stupid epidural. I sent my husband with them to make sure there was no retracting or anything like that.

By the time we got to the recovery room, the baby was back with us.
#62 of 63 Old 08-23-2009, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No HepB, no vitamin K shot, no eye ointment, no circ, delayed cord clamping, no suctioning.
We did the hearing screening (it was done while DS was sleeping). PKU (I was just worried that CA would sample his DNA, it says they do in the fineprint. It bugs the hell out of me.) They did a blood sugar test cause he was low birth weight. Not sure if I would do that again. They took blood once for bilirubin levels (he was quite jaundiced). If another babe is jaundiced, I will go for blood from the arm - it is less traumatic to get than milking the foot.

We had oral vitamin K which we had DS suck off our fingers about 2 hours after birth or somewhere in those first 2 hours (it is a blur honestly). I pushed for 2:36 and he was a little bruised, so we gave it to him. I did not want to shot whatsoever and was prepared with the liquid stuff.
I was put on magnesium sulfate for a while and basically at wit's end during my hospital stay (the treatment as it turns out was completely unnecessary). DH and the nurses were pushing for a bath and I was so tired at day 3 that I agreed. They washed him for 1 minute and used Johnson & Johnson on him. I am still livid about it. Won't happen again!
#63 of 63 Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No HepB (not in the USA). Vit. K. No eye goop (CS, not in USA). #1 was a girl. If it had been a boy we would have circ'ed but not till the 8th day (religious circumcision). Newborn screening done a week or so later, plus an additional thyroid test--I don't know why they needed 2 but I did it as I'm hypothyroid and had dose adjustments during pregnancy. Maybe they needed to do a full TSH/T4 test.

Next time, will do the same. I won't fight the eye goop, I think. The thing is, I know my DH didn't cheat; at the same time, I don't blame my HCP for not putting much stock in my assertions of fidelity. (I have friends who are HCPs and they all say the same thing: most of the women whose partners did cheat swear they didn't have any clue.) I will vaccinate for HepB eventually but I don't see the need for an extra dose at birth.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page