please tell me induction is way worse than natural childbirth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 08-09-2009, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Completely different!!! I was induced a month early with my son and wanted to go natural. Haha. My daughter was natural. I was at the hospital dilated to 7 and had her 30 minutes later. They were totally manageable.

Jennifer Sahm to my smart lil boy (9 yo), fun loving lil girl (7 yo),and our new sweet one (12/04/09)
#32 of 57 Old 08-10-2009, 02:52 AM

Moved to Birth and Beyond.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#33 of 57 Old 08-10-2009, 12:20 PM

I haven't had a pit. induction, but I've attended them as a doula. I can say from the outside that they look degrees of magnitude harder to cope with than a spontaneous labor. They come on harder, are longer, stronger, and give less break between than spontaneous contractions. I think the psychological feeling of having this thing done to you as opposed to accepting this body process that your body is manifesting without your conscious control is very different - it's a different set of conditions that you have to accept and work with and surrender to, and the outside intervention feels like more of an imposition or compromise of one's bodily integrity and might come with more concerns about baby's health, feelings of shame/failure/inadequacy that mom has to deal with -- all around just a tougher situation than when labor starts on its own clock.

Remember too, with a spontaneous labor, oxytocin is made in the brain, so it goes into the bloodstream and give the uterus the signals to contract, but it ALSO stays in the brain and has the effect of diminishing your sensations of pain. Pitocin does not cross the blood-brain barrier, so you get all of the contractions with none of the pain-diminshing effect. Also, the pit. is just on a steady drip, there is no biofeedback to tell the machine to increase or decrease the amount of pit. being run. I am certain that a woman's body is much more adept at regulating oxytocin levels to what it needs at any point in labor than the IV drip, which just marches on like an automaton regardless of how mom and baby are doing.

I think that if you are committed to having an unmedicated labor, you can totally do it. Fear not!

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#34 of 57 Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
Wel...I hate to not reassure you. But I was induced the first time and yeah, hell on wheels.

The second time I did it naturally and I got back labor. Hell on wheels. The pain was different, but absolutely just as painful. Maybe if you don't have back labor it's better.
I'm going to have to agree here. Out of my three labors so far, the first was natural with back labor, and it was by far the worst of the three. The second was induced, and so much easier that I didn't even want pain medication until it was too late at 10 cm. The third was induced and somewhere between the first two - but still no where close to natural with back labor.
#35 of 57 Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM

I have only had one baby so far, and my birth was induced by Cytotec and then Pitocin. It was the most excrutiating pain of my life. I can't imagine anything worse. It felt like a Mac truck was running over my back constantly. I never want an induction again. Please do not consent to one unless it is medically necessary. Do yourself a favor and ask WHY it is necessary if your care provider tries to push one on you. I was induced at 42 weeks even though everything seemed fine, but my midwife was afraid of the placenta deteriorating.

-
#36 of 57 Old 08-10-2009, 05:41 PM

My first child was born after a very long pit-induced labor, during which I eventually accepted an epidural, not because I couldn't handle the pain, but because it was a compromise with the doc, who was becoming concerned and thought I might need a C-section. He gave me extra time to rest with the epi, and it worked, because after an hour or two of resting peacefully I'd finally progressed and was able to give birth vaginally (although I still had to push for over 2 hours). The baby was occ. posterior, which explained part of the difficulty I'd had. In any case, I didn't think the pit was as bad as people say it is and I also had a wonderful epi (with which I could move around easily but not walk), so it wasn't so bad.

That said, the second time around I wanted less intervention. I labored naturally (and comfortably) at home for most of a day before going to the hospital. When I arrived the nurse asked why I was there and when I said "to have a baby" she said, "You can't be in labor, you're smiling!" Well, I was already 7 cm. When I finally got a room and saw the dr, he wanted to break my membranes to speed things along. I didn't want this intervention but somehow he persuaded me. Anyway, I gave birth only 15 minutes later after two monster contractions, which were a bit scary and, well, LARGE, but also not particularly painful. There wasn't even time to offer me drugs, and I wouldn't have wanted them anyway.

I think in many cases a second or subsequent birth after any sort of vaginal birth (induced, medicated, or not) is much easier, so if I were you I'd focus on that. It was certainly true in my case, and birthing #2 was truly a breeze compared to the first birth. Given that, you're much more likely to get through it without intervention, too.

Good luck!

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
#37 of 57 Old 08-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama
Wel...I hate to not reassure you. But I was induced the first time and yeah, hell on wheels.

The second time I did it naturally and I got back labor. Hell on wheels. The pain was different, but absolutely just as painful. Maybe if you don't have back labor it's better.
I have to agree. My first labor was a mixture of both. I went through about 18 hours of natural back labor and it was horrible. LIke the train analogy, there was no slow rising of intensity followed by breaks, it was as though I was hit by a train instantly, I couldn't breath, I had no breaks, double and sometimes triple peak contractions. It was horrible. I then transferred to the hospital and got pit first and the contractions were much better compared to the back labor. Still intense, but I did have breaks in between them. And even the time I had double peak, they were still more "regular" than my back labor. Then I got the epi and slept!

But, to not leave you on that bad note, my second birth was a zillion times better. I used Hypnobabies and she was positioned well and the whole thing from start (waking up with mild pressure waves 2-3 minutes apart) to finish was 3 1/2 hours. I can honestly say 99% of it was pain free. A few moments were uncomfortable, and there were 3 contractions that were painful. During her labor, I actually remember saying to my MIL, "people weren't lying when they say you get breaks in between contractions. You really do. It's like they completely go away and you're completely normal and comfortable again." It was so different from my first experience!
#38 of 57 Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM

I wouldn't say that anything about moving a human through your pelvis and vagina is easy.

I was induced with my first and thought my homebirth would be so much easier. In some ways it was, because I was free to move around like I wanted and get comfortable in the ways I needed to, but it was still intense and difficult and WORK.

You'll do great though. Seriously!! Relax and listen to your body. Don't be scared.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#39 of 57 Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 AM

With induction from the moment of the first contraction it was KILL ME NOW. The pain was at a 10, horrible stabbing...uggg.

With going natural...I had the normal little contractions. I was able to sleep through them....I had at least 7 hours until they were to the really uncomfortable stage...but I don't remember them ever feeling like I did with induction.

Stay strong! Stay away from the induction, if possible!!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#40 of 57 Old 08-13-2009, 02:06 PM

induction is a completely different animal

My first was a pitocin-induced labor and my second was a med-free homebirth. The first one I felt so weak for asking for an epidural only 3.5 hours (3/4 cm) into the strong contractions, but it was so awful. I was "overdue" but I don't think my body was ready.

Both times I couldn't get off my hands and knees during contractions they were so intense. The second time, it was similarly intense but way easier to deal with. I had more time between the contractions and they were somehow different. Pain meds didn't even cross my mind (seriously).

If you've been through induction, you've dealt with more intense contractions than normal!
#41 of 57 Old 08-13-2009, 02:20 PM

My first labor was induced with pit, no pain meds, and yes I know what you mean! TERRIBLE STUFF!

My second birth (5 weeks ago - at home) was obviously without pit or anything else, and yes it was easier! The contrax still felt about the same, but the huge difference was that they had breaks inbetween. It wasn't one big huge slamming freight train feeling like on the pit... I had moments of peace to regroup & rest in between.

You can do it!!!

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#42 of 57 Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 PM

I've had 2 induced labors, no pain meds, 2 natural labors, no pain meds.

The induced labors were much much worse for me. The contractions were much painful much earlier, which I think makes it more difficult to intigrate and also doesnt allow the body to build up endorphins properly.

Now, as to natural labor, that varies immensly, even from pregnancy to pregnancy. My 3rd was my first non-induced delivery and I couldnt even tell I was in labor. The contrax were so mild I could talk through them. Yet I dilated to 9cm's like that. Finally after we broke my water and she shifted, about 30 mins later, I had a REAL contraction and after 15 minutes of hard labor, she was born.

My 4th was very fast and intense. The contractions built in strength quickly. My water broke before labor with her and it was still only 3 hours from then to birth. Anyway, they werent too bad until the end, when I hit transition.

Transition in natural labor is usually when you lose it. It gets much harder to keep a grip. However, those contractions are similar to some of the pit contractions earlier on (at least for me). I couldnt tell as much of a difference between the two, induced and not, when it came to transition-BUT transition is generally pretty quick and then you start pushing, which usually feels better. If it doesnt at least itll be over soon :P Anyway, I usually start cussing and thinking WHY DIDNT I GET AN EPIDURAL in transition...but then I know its transition and I'll deal with it.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#43 of 57 Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 PM

I was induced the first time at 40weeks because I had such bad sciatic back pain I could not even walk. The pitocin was HORRIBLE and I tried, really tried, to go natural. The nurses kept upping the pitocin and thus hyper-stimulated my uterus and I had contractions on top of each other. It was horrible so I gave in at 7 cm and had an epidural. My second was natural and the contraction built up slowly and I had time to adjust to the pressure and the feelings. It still hurt, but I could deal with it.

~ SAHM with two girls (3/9/06) and (7/1/07) and always remembering my angel (3/17/06)~
#44 of 57 Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 PM

I was induced and went natural. It was only really bad during transition.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#45 of 57 Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 PM

My first was induced, my second was natural.
The first hurt more (no epi but I had stadol). Part of it though was that it was my first time and all new to me.

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#46 of 57 Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 PM

This thread is very interesting to me. I've only had one birth so far. I was induced at 38 weeks for pre-e. When I arrived at the hospital, the doc did a VE and asked me how long I had been in labor...I was all like, "I'm not!" I was dilated 3-4 cm. So I must have been ready (or close to ready). He ruptured my membranes but it didn't do anything, so they started me on pit. I was on pit all day and the contractions only got difficult to deal with when I was in transition, and then I'd only call it a test of endurance than actually suffering through them, although my doula told me later that I asked for an epi several times. LOL I don't remember that. At one point, right at the beginning of what I would consider transition, my midwife (who didn't have hospital privileges but was with me as a doula/friend, and who has nearly 30 years of experience) was saying that my uterus was "hyperstimulated", but I was still on top of them. In the end my dd was OP and asynclitic, and I ended up with a c-section. (The labor was easy, the pushing, not so much.) I'm not typing this to brag, I'm just very interested in what my experience with natural labor will be like since I didn't find pit augmented labor so horrible.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#47 of 57 Old 08-16-2009, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

hm, i hadnt even thought about transition...if it would be different for induced vs. natural.

even though i finally had an epi at some point in there, it only worked on the left side! i remember transition as being just mentally terrifying.....panic and so insane feeling. like, asking/wanting to die, but not cause of the pain, because i really felt like i was going crazy?

not sure if this was the pit or what?

so weird.

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#48 of 57 Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 AM

Transition was intense with both my births (during my HWB, it was the only part I'd consider "hard" at all--the rest was easy as pie). But that awful hysterical panicky feeling I had with my pit cx's (and I guess I pretty much went straight into transition, as my labor was only 3 hours from the first cx) did not exist at home. It was hard, and it took much more mental effort to stay on top of the contractions, but I felt way more in control. At one point I caught myself arching up out of the water at the peak of the contractions, realized with my brain that this was making it hurt more, and consciously controlled myself. It was awesome. And even in between transition cx's, I was chatting with the MW and my mom, laughing at ds, having a drink...totally manageable. With my pit labor, I was literally unable to speak, let alone laugh.

You'll be great. I found my HB amazingly healing...I'm sure you will too.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#49 of 57 Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

I was induced the first time with ds and had a few contractions before requesting the epi.

When having dd at home I was excited to go into labor, I'd felt like I really missed out when I had ds, so I was looking forward to knowing what birthing was really like, pain and all.

I also had back labor but even still, I found it much more bearable than the pit contractions. The worst were during active labor (5 hours) but I had about a 5-10 minute break in between them so I managed just fine, now the pushing that was hard but my body took over and shot her out.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#50 of 57 Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMama View Post
I was augmented with pit the first time, and had an all-natural home birth with #2. Though I managed without an epidural my first time, I think it was only because I had a very fast labor. The contractions...really the whole experience is incomparable to natural labor, IME. The rhythms feel much more natural, you get space to breathe and talk and smile in between the cx'es, the peaks are much less jagged and overwhelming. The hardest part of the pit contractions was just feeling overwhelmed, panicky, like I was going to lose it at the peak. I never felt anything like that in my natural birth, which felt gloriously peaceful and manageable.
This is exactly how I would describe my experience, though my second babe was born in a hospital. My two births were like night and day. I actually didn't think I was really in labor the second time around, because I kept waiting to feel something close to what I experienced when I was induced. I decided to head to the hospital because I was GBS positive and knew I would be required to get the antibiotics, and I wanted to make sure I had enough time to get the required dose in me so they wouldn't freak out and take DS to the NICU for a bunch of unnecessary testing. It's turned out to be a good thing I did, because when I arrived at the hospital I was already close to 8 cm. Like I said, night and day!!!
#51 of 57 Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

oooooohhhhh that post really comforted me, thank you

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#52 of 57 Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post
The way she describes a natural contraction is like hearing a train coming from the distance--you know it's coming, and it builds and builds and finally peaks and then gradually recedes into the distance again. It's intense at the peak but it's manageable because you can work with the waves of sensation.

She says a pit contraction is like you're sitting there and then you suddenly get HIT by the train with no warning and no time for your body to prepare. You go from zero to the peak all at once, and your uterus gets slammed with it. It stresses your body out and you quickly get exhausted from the pain.
This describes the difference perfectly IMO!

Nikki
Mom to my boys A (6), J (4), and my baby girl A (10/25/10)
#53 of 57 Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post
She says a pit contraction is like you're sitting there and then you suddenly get HIT by the train ...
I love it! Please tell your mom this is a great analogy and I'm stealing it.

I had pit-augmented back labor (worst of both worlds, anyone?) with DD. I'm hoping and planning for a natural labor with the new babe. I'm counting on it being easier than last time.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#54 of 57 Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 AM

The support you get in labor changes how you experience the contractions as well. I never would have believed that before I experienced it myself during my last birth (all natural).

When my mom or DH would touch me during labor, the contractions were so much easier to handle - but there were a few times when they weren't in the room and I could barely handle that one contraction, it was sooooo bad (and this was just regular active labor - but how the ones 'alone' felt in regular labor was far worse than how transition, the most intense part, felt with their active physical touch and verbal support).

I now understand how a doula affects birth outcomes so positively, b/c it was night and day for me.
#55 of 57 Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 AM

Tofutti - have you thought about taking a HypnoBirthing class? I'm taking my last class tomorrow and couldn't be happier with it. We're learning how to use deep relaxation techniques to have a natural, non-exhausting birth. Many people who use the technique say they had no pain at all and both the mom and baby have more energy right after the birth.
#56 of 57 Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

hey ruby - yeah i actually DID take hypnobirthing class, did the whole program, listened to the cd, read the book, and in the end it didnt really help with anything.

well the breathing techniques helped me get thru some of the early contractions, but then it just got too hard to handle

but being induced is probably no match for hypnobirthing, i bet it works well with a more "normal" birth.

#57 of 57 Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 PM

I don't see how natural could be as bad as induced. There was no way I could do it without drugs, and it was too overwhelming to even attempt the breathing techniques I had learned.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page