please tell me induction is way worse than natural childbirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
........i am getting so scared!!

i was induced w/pitocin the first time around and tried to go med free. couldnt do it. still remember how -- painful -- how -- awful, no words for the pain, the contractions were. i couldnt breathe. i really couldnt. (then got an epidural)

i really want to go natural this time. but i (shudder) remember the pain. will it be similar to that?! or much easier?!

anyone been through both?

need encouragement. scared.

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 07:00 PM

The drugs used for induction DO cause contractions to be STRONGER than your body would normally make them on its own. The drugs can also cause the contractions to come on top of each other without a break. The body's natural process IS more gentle and manageable.

Adding: Can't promise pain-free, though. My own labors hurt like a HMMHMMHMMHMM!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 08-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I can't say what it would be like for *you* but yes, as pp said, the pit will make your contractions much stronger. From the stories I've read it seems that even many of the most naturally minded women will choose paid meds in labor with pit when they would not otherwise have done so.

Labor is not easy and ime not pain-free but I have managed to birth 4 times without any meds and I would do it again. The one time I decided to take something was after we discovered my daughter's head was cocked funny and I had already been pushing and swelled. I needed something to help me get through those contractions until she was able to straighten up and I was dilated.

There are lots of ways to manage pain during labor, including the use of water. I have never birthed in water but it is wonderful to get into the tub or shower during labor.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 PM

I was in the same boat. I was so scared because of how painful the induction was with my daughter. 3-4 minute contractions without a break, back labor, begging for epidural even though I was 100% positive I could do a natural birth. I've said it on this board before, but reading Ina May's guide to childbirth just totally made all that fear melt away. I am not due until January, but I feel confident that I can get through it. I realise that it will be really hard, but it seems like nothing could be worse than that induction. Besides the ideas from Ina May's book, my midwife has so many idea for dealing with things like back labor that I feel positive that we will do it this time!

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
Old 08-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Natural labour starts off with shorter contractions further apart, which gives your endorphins time to build to help get you through this. Pitocin, from what I hear, starts you off with strong and long and keeps going to stronger and longer- your body may never get a chance to catch up.
IME, every birth is different. I've had two where the pregnancies were stinkers but the births themselves were easy, two where it really was hard work. You can have an epidural put in if natural isn't working for you, but taking it out isn't so much of an option.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:21 PM

I was induced 3 times out of the 6 and it is WAY harder!! It's just not natural and then you have to lay in bed on top of that! Ugh! You will do great going natural! Find a book or something to walk you through your fears...

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 PM

I've never given birth, but my mom has done both (pit & natural.)

The way she describes a natural contraction is like hearing a train coming from the distance--you know it's coming, and it builds and builds and finally peaks and then gradually recedes into the distance again. It's intense at the peak but it's manageable because you can work with the waves of sensation.

She says a pit contraction is like you're sitting there and then you suddenly get HIT by the train with no warning and no time for your body to prepare. You go from zero to the peak all at once, and your uterus gets slammed with it. It stresses your body out and you quickly get exhausted from the pain.

I know it's different for everyone, but I've never heard anyone say that natural contractions are more painful than pit contractions. A friend of mine had a failed induction recently (more than 24 hours of pit contractions with no progress) and when she couldn't take it anymore they decided to stop and give it a day or two before trying again. She ended up going into labor naturally 2 days later. She was amazed at how much more painful the pit contractions were than her natural labor.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailGrace View Post
Find a book or something to walk you through your fears...
I just read "Adventures in Natural Childbirth: Tales from Women on the Joys, Fears, Pleasures, and Pains of Giving Birth Naturally" --highly recommend!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

The way she describes a natural contraction is like hearing a train coming from the distance--you know it's coming, and it builds and builds and finally peaks and then gradually recedes into the distance again. It's intense at the peak but it's manageable because you can work with the waves of sensation.

She says a pit contraction is like you're sitting there and then you suddenly get HIT by the train with no warning and no time for your body to prepare. You go from zero to the peak all at once, and your uterus gets slammed with it. It stresses your body out and you quickly get exhausted from the pain.

I know it's different for everyone, but I've never heard anyone say that natural contractions are more painful than pit contractions. A friend of mine had a failed induction recently (more than 24 hours of pit contractions with no progress) and when she couldn't take it anymore they decided to stop and give it a day or two before trying again. She ended up going into labor naturally 2 days later. She was amazed at how much more painful the pit contractions were than her natural labor.
Great explanation!!

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
Old 08-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Wel...I hate to not reassure you. But I was induced the first time and yeah, hell on wheels.

The second time I did it naturally and I got back labor. Hell on wheels. The pain was different, but absolutely just as painful. Maybe if you don't have back labor it's better.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
They were the same for me. I hear a lot of people say the contractions are worse with being induced. Both my labors lasted 4 hours.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
for me, induction was way worse that natural labor pains

Bring back the old MDC
Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

I love this metaphor. Hope I get to experience natural labor so I can feel the comparison. I can't believe they let your friend go home after a day of pit labor. This happened to me and there was no way they were letting me go. I ended up with a c-section.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofutti View Post
........i am getting so scared!!

i was induced w/pitocin the first time around and tried to go med free. couldnt do it. still remember how -- painful -- how -- awful, no words for the pain, the contractions were. i couldnt breathe. i really couldnt. (then got an epidural)

i really want to go natural this time. but i (shudder) remember the pain. will it be similar to that?! or much easier?!

anyone been through both?

need encouragement. scared.
The pain from your last birth was most likely due to the induction and Pitocin, which is known to cause that. I've been reading Pushed, which I recommend reading, by Jennifer Block, it's a real eye opener, I've been reading it all day, and everyday since I got it.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACsMom View Post
I love this metaphor. Hope I get to experience natural labor so I can feel the comparison. I can't believe they let your friend go home after a day of pit labor. This happened to me and there was no way they were letting me go. I ended up with a c-section.
Yeah, luckily she was with midwives at a birth center rather than OBs at a hospital. They did all they could to prevent a c-section (she really did not want a c-section!) If they had continued with the pit her waters would have probably broken and with her being exhausted & not making any progress, c-section would have been the only option.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany93 View Post
The pain from your last birth was most likely due to the induction and Pitocin, which is known to cause that. I've been reading Pushed, which I recommend reading, by Jennifer Block, it's a real eye opener, I've been reading it all day, and everyday since I got it.
I just read that too! I couldn't put it down once I picked it up and I finished it in under a week. It's definitely solidified my desire for an intervention-free birth, and it's piqued my interest in reading more about the issue.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

thank you thank you times a million trilllion........thank you.

going to get the books

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
Old 08-09-2009, 12:39 AM

I was augmented with pit the first time, and had an all-natural home birth with #2. Though I managed without an epidural my first time, I think it was only because I had a very fast labor. The contractions...really the whole experience is incomparable to natural labor, IME. The rhythms feel much more natural, you get space to breathe and talk and smile in between the cx'es, the peaks are much less jagged and overwhelming. The hardest part of the pit contractions was just feeling overwhelmed, panicky, like I was going to lose it at the peak. I never felt anything like that in my natural birth, which felt gloriously peaceful and manageable.

I also labored and birthed in water the second time, which I honestly cannot recommend highly enough!

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 08-09-2009, 12:53 AM

i had my first with pit no epi it was HORRID very painful and i said id never do ti again
my second i went into labor on y own and it was HORRID very painful and i said id never do it again
i didn't have an epic with ether altho i begged for one 15mins b4 my 2nd was born
i personally dont think pit made my labor any worse or better they where both very painful and im not happy about giving birth again but i am happy to add this child to our lives =-)

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 AM

The induction was much, much worse for me.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:31 AM

I had one pitocin induced labor, and one AROM induced labor. The pitocin labor was way harder.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
Wel...I hate to not reassure you. But I was induced the first time and yeah, hell on wheels.

The second time I did it naturally and I got back labor. Hell on wheels. The pain was different, but absolutely just as painful. Maybe if you don't have back labor it's better.
Eh, that's my basic story too but I'll take the back labor any day! For me the most hellish aspect of pitocin was NO BREAKS it was like one long contraction with no time to breathe. Even with back labor and dd2 presenting with both hands up to her face (forget the term..) my natural labor was more managable than my induced one.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:32 AM

I don't know from experience since they insisted on drugging me for no apparent reason, but I was told that I had to have an epidural during the induction because it would be too painful to handle. I know that isn't true, and a lot of women are induced and still don't have epi's, but I guess it's the common mentality of the hospital staff that unmedicated induced labor is quite difficult. I just know the contractions were harder once I had pitocin.
Another thing to remember is that each baby is different! My first 14 hours of induction were med-free and it was extremely tolerable! I just focused and was fine. This pregnancy (I'm 37 weeks), I've already been having contractions that are way, way stronger than they were even 14 hours into labor with my first. So just because your first labor was hard and really painful doesn't necessarily mean your second will be the same!

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:49 AM

I was induced with pitocin with my first. It was terrible, and I ended up with an epidural. I was on my back in bed the whole time and in a hospital. With my second, I was at home and never got in bed for my whole labor. I walked around, swayed my hips, got in the shower, bounced on the birth ball, and got in the birth pool. I will take natural labor and childbirth ANY DAY over an induced labor. That is, if I can move around and do what I please.

Mom to Zolan 10-10-06 and Silas 7-10-08, wife to Ben since 12-1-06
Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 PM

I have had two inductions, and one non induced labor.. HUGE difference imho. My first induction was 20 hours.. vomiting everywhere.. my second induction was 18 hours.. My third labor was not induced and only 4 hours beginning to end. He was born about 45 minutes after we got to the hospital, because I didn't think I was even in labor the difference was so profound! The nurse told me you are "at 7" and I didn't even consider that she meant cm!

Nursing was SO much easier also.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:51 PM

another vote for totally different without...though my second was also a homebirth and I'm sure that helped. But also, every birth is different.

Anyways, I was induced with pit at a hospital for the first birth. I was also asked to stay on my back in bed for large chunks of time. I also had back labor the entire time. Nothing was turning dd (duh! She wasn't ready to come out!!!)

With my second birth, no induction. I didn't even know I was in labor. Progression wasn't stalled or stopped (as it was in the 1st birth when labor was interrupted with a drive to the hospital) totally managable until I hit transition , where I freaked out a little bit and then got it back together and it was intense, but managable. This part was for the last 1.5 hours (maybe less?) I found that getting in a comfortable position (which I had been fighting, I have no idea why) really helped with that. I did take some herbs my mw gave me, which helped me relax and get some rest between ctx, I think it was the cohashes and skullcap and someother things. We also used essential oils. I did also have a period of back labor, which really started to freak me out (enter transtition) but the second half, which was back labor for at least a part of it was TOTALLY managable in a way that it had not been when induced.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 08-09-2009, 03:50 PM

I haven't birthed our first LO yet. However, my sister has done it with and without pitocin. She says she will take the natural birth any day over the pitocin induced one.

MC #1: 12/05; MC #2: 1/09 Mama to our first that arrived 11/2/09
Old 08-09-2009, 07:08 PM

I've had two ordinary labours and then two which were augmented with pitocin due to malposition and failure to progress. The choice was pit or section and I have a blood clotting disorder so the pit was preferable.

I would take the ordinary spontaneous labour over induction/pit every time. Pit is like being slammed with a plank over and over again. My second labour like this was better than the first because I stood up for as long as I could then rested forward over pillow and didn't lie on my back at all. I used the Entonox the second time too which helped me keep my focus.

I think there *are* ways to deal with a pit labour that make it a bit more tolerable if it becomes a necessity and I wouldn't want anyone reading this to carry a huge amount of fear and dread about it if you end up needing it.

I'm not sure that is the right way to say it but I think sometimes it is easy to do a good job of freaking pregnant women out with terrible stories. I took a lot of fear into my second pit induced labour and I had to work hard to let that go.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 PM

there are too many factors to list as to whether or not an induced labor is gentler than a natural labor EVERY time. In general, however, yes pitocin induced ctx are harder to tolerate - depending on how the pit is dosed and how ready you might already be for labor.

I've had two induced labors. the first too early (40w) and was a freakin' nightmare with transition like ctx w/o no build up that wouldn't stop; I was literally screaming for the epidural by 3cm it was so bad. The pit had started out cranked and kept getting increased. I got cut.

The second was low dose/slow dose pit with a high bishop's score. It was easy. ctx were tolerable till I was asking for a paracervical block; I was stunned to learn I was at 8cm (that was my first VE durring that labor). baby was out w/in 20 minutes of getting the PCB. While I was howling for the epidural while pushing (b/c the pcb didn't do what I'd gotten into my head that it would), it was still nothing as intense or as painful as my first induction.

Positioning & freedom to move around makes a huge difference. I walked just about that entire second labor; I really believe that gravity did a lot of work for me in getting that baby into a position where she could come out so easily.

If you can't get out of CEFM then demand a telemetry unit so you can walk around. If they don't have one, you might be stuck if you're unwilling to refuse monitoring. Remember, they CANNOT force you to consent to the CEFM no matter what hospital policy says. But they can make you pretty damned uncomfortable if you get a nurse that doesn't support NCB.

I'm hoping to go into labor on my own this time and not need any pit. I plan to refuse policies that are detrimental to my being able to birth this baby naturally.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
Old 08-09-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

xanadu - what a good description - the panic, the crazzzy panic, that was pit for me.

thanks for the stories everyone so appreciated.

User Tag List