silly question about corp clamping and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2004, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I have a silly question. I'm expecting #2 in September. I had DD in a hospital and her cord was clamped right away. I'm planning on delivering in a birth center with #2 and plan on waiting until the cord stops pulsing before the cord is clamped. I was just thinking......do you still put the baby to the breast if the cord hasn't been clamped?
Amy

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2004, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
not a silly question!

yes, it's beneficial to put baby to breast even with the cord attached. helps facilitate the birth of the placenta.

I usually just wait until the placenta is born to cut the cord, since that's when it stops pulsating.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:13 PM

Pam, that is an interesting comment you made...my ds's cord stopped pulsing before I delivered the placenta. Does that mean that it had already detached? If so I'm ticked off all over again that they gave me Pit routinely without giving my body a chance to expel the placenta!

Sorry to hijack the thread!

The only thing I've heard that might change your plans is if Baby has a cord that is too short for you to be able to get him/her to the breast while it is still attatched.

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
Old 02-03-2004, 01:00 AM

Yeah, when the placenta separates, there is still some pulsations right near the baby's belly, but the pulsing in the middle of the cord and towards the placenta stops. In fact, I've felt pulsing of the cord for up to two hours after the birth of placenta right against the baby's belly!
Old 02-03-2004, 04:17 PM

Ive been wondering about all this stuff too, and does anyone know if once the cord stops pulsing, can it be naturally broken on its own (like an animal, although some mother animals chew the cord) and even if the cord needs to be cut does it really need to be tied?
I would like to not have to deal with clamps next time around.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:26 PM

Noodle, if you leave it attached to the placenta for a few hours after birth, you should be able to cut it without any clamping.
Just wait until it's really white.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:03 PM

Hmm - I met an OB the other day for the 1st time & she told me something like this: lifting the baby up to your chest screws up the equilibrium between the placenta and the baby anyway so if you want to hold the baby right away, you have to clamp right away... ???? for you experts, and I hope I'm not a hijacker
Old 02-03-2004, 10:28 PM

that sounds like complete bunk. why would we be designed to harm our bodies or our babies by holding them after birth before cutting the cord?

There is some disagreement about holding the baby LOWER than the placenta, etc., etc., but I just don't agree.

Here is some good, solid info: http://www.cordclamping.com/braindamage.htm
Old 02-04-2004, 01:01 PM

I just delivered DD2 in November, and like what Pam said, the cord wasn't clamped until after I delivered the placenta and I nursed her in the meanwhile. No problems at all here, other than a little jaundice that showed up the day my milk came in but was totally gone two days later when we took her to the pediatrician.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:22 PM

"I met an OB the other day for the 1st time & she told me something like this: lifting the baby up to your chest screws up the equilibrium between the placenta and the baby anyway so if you want to hold the baby right away, you have to clamp right away... ????"

What does that mean, "screw up the equilibrium"? Why would the maintaining of equilibrium be important? I agree with Pam, once a baby is born, human women instinctively pick up the baby. How odd to assert that our instincts in this case are wrong, even dangerous. I've never thought about it before now, but it seems to me just as easy to conjecture that raising the baby above the placenta facilitates the placenta's separation. But I'd still be interested to hear the doctor's reasoning. Any chance you'll see her again?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:09 PM

Blueviolet, if I remember correctly from an EMT class I took 4 years ago, they are taught to keep the baby level with or below the placenta so that blood doesn't rush out of the baby and back into the placenta.

Seems a tad unlikely, doesn't it?

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
Old 02-04-2004, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by citizenfong
they are taught to keep the baby level with or below the placenta so that blood doesn't rush out of the baby and back into the placenta.
That's what my OB told me when we discussed it before my DD's birth. That seems kind of hokey and superstitious to me, but she seemed really concerned that waiting for the cord to stop pulsing would be bad for the baby, that she'd be more likely to jaundice. Well, they cut it right away, and she got jaundiced anyway.

:
Old 02-04-2004, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blueviolet
Any chance you'll see her again?
To be honest, I am really hoping NOT to meet her again! I felt that this stuff about cord-clamping was just a symptom of her negative attitude.

Pamamidwife, thank you for the Web reference - I am going to print the article and leave it for the OB so she will at least know what I was trying to say.

I'm very interested in this because I'm expecting #3 any day now. #1's cord was cut right away, #2 had some cord compression so they waited, and I have to say that #2 definitely was more alert although they have differed right down the line so it's probably not just the cord.

I'm expecting to birth with a CNM not an OB (certainly not that OB). The CNM is already on my wavelength, but this whole issue surprises me, it really does seem like superstition than reason!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I won't worry about it....just put her right to breast...i'm sure the people at the birth center won't be as crazy as some of the OB's in hospitals (or at least I hope not)
Amy

Old 02-04-2004, 11:14 PM

Well, we've had almost 2100 babies at the birth center, all have had delayed cord clamping, and not once has a baby lost all it's blood into the placenta when the babe was placed on the mom's abdomen.

And OBs think that mws have freaky, voodooesque beliefs regarding childbirth....at least most of ours are evidence based!

Lori
Old 02-04-2004, 11:58 PM

nak

yeah, my friend just interviewed an ob who told her that if you deley clamping, all he blood will rush into the baby, and 'it will blow up and die'

i guess it goes wo saying, she wont be going back there.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 02-05-2004, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Gr8flmom
nak

yeah, my friend just interviewed an ob who told her that if you deley clamping, all he blood will rush into the baby, and 'it will blow up and die'

i guess it goes wo saying, she wont be going back there.

what about all the poor puppies, kitten, horses, cows...etc who don't get their cords clamped? there must be plenty of them who just plain blow up.....fairly messy it must be :

Old 02-05-2004, 05:14 AM

It was really wonderful actually feeling the pulsing of the cord after my son was born but the placenta was still attached. I felt very connected to him. Yes, I nursed him with it still attached and it was quite nice. It was a great bonding moment for us and I remember it fondly. I could literally feel the pulse between my fingers and he was still getting nourishment and oxygen from me. Incredible moment. I'm all in favour of delayed cord clamping. and cutting

User Tag List