another oral vitamin K question - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm considering doing oral vitamin K after birth, and supplementing myself so my breastmilk is richer in K.

Since K2 is not available for infant supplementation, I've considered buying the K1 drops made by scientific botanicals. I also saw these recommended in another post:
bio-K
. Bio-k lists the ingredients as: K1 phytonadione, water, acacia rice bran oil, citric acid and sodium benzoate. The scientific botanicals ingredients: K-Quinoe is extracted from alfalfa, nettles and green tea, in a base for olive and soy extracts (no idea if anything else is in there, couldn't find that info).

K2 is supposed to be better, but not available in the U.S., but it is sold OTC in capsule form, is there a reason why these couldn't be broken open and used? NSI Vitamin K2 (MK-7) from Natto Extract Are these chemically different from what is sold in Europe? No flames, please, I'm really just curious.

ETA: Have also found k2 drops vitamin k2 liquid pdf

I did find a little info on the K2 http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...mins/vitaminK/ - "A form of vitamin K2, menatetrenone (MK-4), has been used to treat osteoporosis in Japan and is currently under study in the United States ... it then goes on to say ... Although allergic reaction is possible, there is no known toxicity associated with high doses of the phylloquinone (vitamin K1) or menaquinone (vitamin K2) forms of vitamin K ... so I'm guessing that the Japenese form of K2 is different from what is used in Europe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Mommy to 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kai 2/03, 
Caden 1/08, 
 Kara 10/09, 

Cole 2/3/14 &

Coraline 1/25/17 &
3/13,
11/15,
3/16 ♡ Happily unmarried to 
 Papa since 2002 ♡
~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
although there are several types of bacterial formed K2-- the supplemental type of vitamin K that they are using high dose in Japan is MK-4 and it is not produced in significant amounts by bacteria; instead, it seems to be synthesized by animals (including humans) from phylloquinone (K1) so the best way to supplement this is to give your self and the baby enough K1 to produce MK-4-- it also means eating things like free range animals and animal products - like milk, cheese and butter from field grass fed cows or goats instead of the animals that get little variety and are stuck in mud corals eating cow chow -
as for allergic reactions I think that the warnings are on the use of menaquinone
#3 of 3 Old 09-09-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks! You almost need a degree in biochemistry to figure this stuff out, I think. I'm probably going to stick with the K-1 drops made by Scientific Botanicals and follow the instructions on the birthwithlove website, if there is any birth trauma. I think I might want to have them on hand in case she gets her head bumped or something like that as well. I do have two rambunctious boys in my house!

Mommy to 
Kai 2/03, 
Caden 1/08, 
 Kara 10/09, 

Cole 2/3/14 &

Coraline 1/25/17 &
3/13,
11/15,
3/16 ♡ Happily unmarried to 
 Papa since 2002 ♡
~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page