Swollen feet and hands (postpartum) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby was born 9/8/9 and my feet are swollen more than they were during pregnancy (and I did have trouble with swelling from 20 weeks on). When does this end? Will it ever? I am so tired of having swollen feet and fingers. My feet are so swollen they look like little tubes with toes on the end instead of feet.

I did a search online and read that swelling like this after birth is often associated with epidurals and IVs during labor. I had neither. My labor was 3 hours or so and baby was here, a waterbirth. I didn't even have a heplock. Placenta was birthed on its own, and the cord was cut after the placenta came out. I really could not have had a more natural birth. Why is this happening to me?

Thanks!

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#2 of 7 Old 09-13-2009, 12:53 AM

I googled it and came up with two answers. Neither from reputable sources. One its normal and its taking time for your kidneys to readjust to the lack of baby. Two it is a sign of pre-clampsia after birth which is possible.
#3 of 7 Old 09-13-2009, 10:50 PM

I had the very same situation after both of my births : Majorly NATURAL wonderful births. It is very common but yet very uncomfortable - my feet felt like they were going to pop when I walked! My midwife told me to drinks TONS of water - believe me you'll be wishing you could just set up shop on the toilet because you'll be tinkling OFTEN, like every few minutes. BUT it will flush all of that fluid out of your tissues and you'll find relief very soon. Of course, double check with your own MW though, since she has been with you every step of the way and knows your individual system.

Mommy to DS#1 and DS#2 novaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif & wife to DHstillheart.gif  
mdcblog5.gif dealingwithdummies.blogspot.com    for fun and FREEBIESjoy.gif
#4 of 7 Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 PM

I did not swell until after birth. Get some good compression socks and drink so much water that you think you are going to float away. Hang in there momma!
#5 of 7 Old 09-13-2009, 10:57 PM

I did the same after I had my baby girl. I think it hit the worst point at about ten days PP. I didn't start losing real weight for three weeks or so either, but about 12-14 days PP it started to get better. I was way more swollen after the birth than I was before. It will get better!
#6 of 7 Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

I was finally able to sleep in bed (vs. in the recliner with baby in a sling on my chest) for the past two nights and I can finally see my ankles. I know sitting made it worse during pregnancy. Perhaps all that "resting" on the couch day and night slowed its disappearance after pregnancy.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#7 of 7 Old 09-15-2009, 02:14 AM

I have a friend who swears by, in addition to drinking lots of water, baths with epsom salts. I don't know why it works, but something about the epsom salts helps swelling.

Good luck.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page