did you videotape your birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-06-2004, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how many of you videotaped your birth and how did you feel about it afterwards? were you glad you did it or regret watching it?

DH really wants to tape it, I am not so sure and I don't want it to be a hindrance to the birthing process.we would set up a tripod off in the corner so I guess I might not really notice, but I am still not so sure..I do think it would be neat for my son to watch someday when he is older though.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#2 of 19 Old 02-06-2004, 04:49 PM

we did and i am very glad we did. we set it up on a tri pod in the corner, and my dh had a remote as well to assist.
at first i was weary of it being there, but soon after i forgot all about it.
i watched it for the first time on dd's first b'day and it was so neat.

highly recommend it. just make sure you have everything you need (tapes, batteries, ect) all ready for the event.
#3 of 19 Old 02-06-2004, 04:56 PM

We did not, and I'm really glad. My personal opinion is that it is something that is too personal and, I would even say, sacred to put on vidio tape. At least for me it is. I don't even like having alot of people at the birth. This is just my opinion.
#4 of 19 Old 02-06-2004, 05:49 PM

That's such an indiviual thing. I myself do not plan on taping the birth of my child. I feel like it's something better left to memory. That's just me though. I don't know that I want to see moving images and hear sounds. I prefer still images. And it also depends on your son whether or not he would want to watch it. I can't imagine my brothers being interesting in seeing that side of my mom. I don't even think I'm interested in seeing that side (or end ) of my mother.
I have read other threads on this same topic in which half the posters have great things to say about it, others who wouldn't film it in the first place, and then there are those that say they regret taping it. There may be some aspects of the birth that you may not want to remember. I don't know. That's just my 2 cents. Like I said it is such a personal thing. If it interferes with the birth process you can always turn it off.

Something to think about though....

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#5 of 19 Old 02-06-2004, 06:56 PM

One of my midwives' assistants shot little snippets of our labor/birth, but the birth itself was not taped. If they would not have been available to tape, I would not have had it done. I needed DH with me, not working a camera.

I have watched the tape, and it was ok to watch, but I did have to turn the sound off, I couldn't bear to listen to the sounds
Such a personal decision, Birthing From Within has a good section about taping and pictures.
#6 of 19 Old 02-06-2004, 07:02 PM

: Heck NO The thought of seeing myself in labor would probably scare me from ever having in more children:LOL
#7 of 19 Old 02-06-2004, 07:48 PM

We haven't decided on whether to tape our baby's birth or not. I have told my partner that if he wants to have it taped, someone else (not him) will be doing the videotaping and pictures since I want him available to me and the baby. He also wants to catch the baby, and he knows that holding a camera and catching a baby are mutually exclusive things.

Good friends of ours have 3 kids (boy age 8, girl age 12, girl age 14) and have videotaped all their kids births. Their kids love to watch the videos, especially on their actual birthdays.

And a recommendation I read somewhere said to record (write or sound record) your own version of the birth story before you watch a video of it, and then for at least the first time you watch the video, mute the sound and watch it silently.

warmly,
claudia
mama-to-be in late spring 2004!
#8 of 19 Old 02-06-2004, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboClaudia
We haven't decided on whether to tape our baby's birth or not. I have told my partner that if he wants to have it taped, someone else (not him) will be doing the videotaping and pictures since I want him available to me and the baby. He also wants to catch the baby, and he knows that holding a camera and catching a baby are mutually exclusive things.

Good friends of ours have 3 kids (boy age 8, girl age 12, girl age 14) and have videotaped all their kids births. Their kids love to watch the videos, especially on their actual birthdays.

And a recommendation I read somewhere said to record (write or sound record) your own version of the birth story before you watch a video of it, and then for at least the first time you watch the video, mute the sound and watch it silently.

warmly,
claudia
mama-to-be in late spring 2004!
it was important for me to have my dh available as well, hence the tri pod. we had a friend take still pictures.

we also had heard the recommendation of waiting a year, and we did that. we also kept the sound way down, and just watched the last 15 mintues or so of the labor, and then 10 more minutes after the labor.

#9 of 19 Old 02-07-2004, 12:23 AM

I attempted to tape my first DD's birth and ended up transporting so we have like 10 hours of labor on video(who wants to see that?!) but no birth. My youngest DD we fully intended to tape the birth but when push came to shove we just forgot to turn the camera on. I do, however, have great pictures of her being born. My friend took great pictures of Mary-Grace's birth. She took them while I was pushing with one of my feet on her shoulders. Talk about up close and personal

If you want to tape it then set up a tripod in the corner and use a remote to turn it on at the big moment. Or you can just take pictures and remember it just as well.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#10 of 19 Old 02-07-2004, 12:44 AM

A friend videotaped my recent birth and I can't wait to see it! I think though, if the birth had not gone so well I probably would never want to see it. I'm glad I have it though. I can't wait to show my dd when she's older and asks how babies come out, and be able to show her how she was born so peacefully. I also wanted to capture her first cry on tape, and of course it's easier to see how things went "down there" from the camera's angle than from my own. :-)

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#11 of 19 Old 02-07-2004, 01:02 AM

I knew I wanted mine on video -- I knew at the time I would be totally out of it and I wanted to be able to watch later and SEE what I had done.

My best friend taped Jacob's birth, and my mom taped Isaac's. I love being able to watch them on their birthdays. I love being able to share them with very special friends. I persoanlly love the see the difference in the first and the second -- the first was overly medicalized, and the second was very gentle.

I love them and cannot say how much they mean to me, that I can see the record of such a monumentous experience.
#12 of 19 Old 02-07-2004, 01:34 AM

I didn't tape my son's birth and I will always regret this! I didn't think I'd want to see *THAT& on tape, let alone anyone esle, and of course you don't want *THAT* falling into the wrong hands .

But I missed everything! My eyes were closed while I was pushing and the mirror got moved...I wasn't exactly in the best position for good viewing , I really would have liked to have seen my baby being born! I don't remember little details either (did they put him on my belly before dh cut the cord or after? Did they put a diaper on him before or after I'd nursed him for the first time?...just little things) With the next one, I want a camera there, even if it's only for me.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#13 of 19 Old 02-07-2004, 02:00 AM

I also regret not capturing my birth experiance. Dh wanted to and I was soooo very opposed to it. Now I ask him questions about it all the time, and his answers are not exactly what I usually want.

ME- "What did she look like in her sack?"
HIM- "gross"

ME- "What were you thinking when Dylan was being born"
HIM- "Scary"

I don't know if I am going to tape the next one, but I will have a photographer take some tasteful still Black and whites.

My best friend's mother taped the birth of her daughter, and it is an extreme close up shot for the whole tape, that runs out just as she is getting ready to push. Said friend was upset when she saw it.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#14 of 19 Old 02-07-2004, 06:15 AM

We didn't tape any of the births but NOW i kinda wish we had.
#15 of 19 Old 02-07-2004, 01:01 PM

Yes and I love that we have such a wonderful moment in our lives captured on tape so we can revisit it whenever we want. My sister taped it for us and she did a pretty good job. I wanted it to be viewable for everyone, so she stayed up near my head. She only got a couple snippets of labor and a minute or two of me pushing right before Annabelle crowned. The thing I LOVE is that we see her head as it's out (my mom strategically placed a blanket so that the only thing visable is Annabelle--no vaginal shots) and that we see the rest of her being birthed and the midwife placing her on my chest. I also love that everyones reactions were captured so wonderfully. It was such a joyous moment. And that fact that none of my private areas are shown makes it viewable for everyone without embarassment. DH's grandmother watched in amazement...she had never seen a birth before! She had four children of her own, but in those days woman were knocked out for the whole thing. She thanked us over and over again for letteing her experience the miracle of birth. We also got a lot of tape of the hours after birth. Annabelle was so wide eyed and alert and beautiful we just couldn't stop filming her.
We will definitely tape the birth of our next baby. I'm most likely having a home waterbirth so it may be more difficult in our bathroom to get such a great angle that we did in the hospital, but we're going to try.
#16 of 19 Old 02-07-2004, 07:45 PM

We didn't video tape the birth, but I do have about 80 or so still photos taken by one of my two doula's that really capture some of the experience. For us I think it was a perfect choice. I didn't feel like a tape would capture the sacredness of the birth but I still wanted something concrete to remember it by. I'm planning on picking a few select photos and making an album.

I do agree that it is apersonal choice.
#17 of 19 Old 02-07-2004, 07:58 PM

I planned on taping our seconds and thirds. THe second I forgot about the camera and we did not tape anything until after birth. The third I remember the camera during pushing and then my dh set it up pointing at my head (I was birthing on all fours) and then he and ds2 were sitting in front of the camera. So, we did not get tape of the birth but we got all the sound. All of you that say you liked the images better than the sound would not like my video. I was pretty quite with my first two babies and my third I was VERY vocal! I have watched it and then I read in Birthing From With that I should have waited. At least a year is what is wrote. We are done having babies so no video of me birthing. Bummer. My midwife did say that I had a "beautiful birth song".

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#18 of 19 Old 02-08-2004, 12:47 AM

I did for my first three and although they are awkward to watch for me now I am glad I did. I didn't for my fourth and now I regret it.
With the baby I am pregnant with now we will videotape if it works out that way.
#19 of 19 Old 02-08-2004, 12:54 AM

I too think this is really up to each individual person, with no wrong or right answer. We didn't tape Dd's birth, although I later found out that the anesthesiologist took a polaroid as Dd was being lifted out of me (c-section). This picture realy upset me, even though it was the only link for me to the birth (general anesthesia). I threw the picture away.
This time we are having a UC, but I still have no intention of making a video or taking pictures, it does seem like an intrusion into a sacred time. But I'm a hippocrite, because I like to see other people's birth pictures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page