What does "military presentation" mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
stormborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,695
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm assuming it has to do with the head position? Came across the term and I'm not having any luck with a search.
stormborn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 PM
 
AutumnAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In my head
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My guess would be "army crawl" style, i.e. with one hand up by the head. More commonly known as a nuchal hand. But I'm just guessing...

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
AutumnAir is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 PM
 
MittensKittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am picturing a saluting baby now. Maybe it means the hand is buy the head?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
MittensKittens is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 PM
 
billikengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: TN
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it means the same as "brow presentation."

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

billikengirl is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 08:21 PM
 
wombatclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: running the red queen's race
Posts: 14,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It means the babe is leading with their forehead. Unlike a babe with a nicely tucked chin, a babe with a "military presentation" has their chin up a bit, as if they were "standing at attention". It often results in a longer or more difficult birth since the presenting part is bigger than it could be if the babe tucked their chin.

You can find the term (and pictures) in nursing textbooks like this one.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

wombatclay is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 PM
 
mwherbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
It means the babe is leading with their forehead. Unlike a babe with a nicely tucked chin, a babe with a "military presentation" has their chin up a bit, as if they were "standing at attention". It often results in a longer or more difficult birth since the presenting part is bigger than it could be if the babe tucked their chin.

this is what I understand it to mean as well head like at attention so the chin is NOT tucked into the chest -- a forehead presentation would be head tipped back even further and then after that would be degrees of face presentation

I wanted to add this neat link because they are pic of terracotta models at this museum site.

http://brunelleschi.imss.fi.it/museum/esim.asp?c=418023
mwherbs is offline  
Old 09-15-2009, 02:07 AM
 
savithny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
this is what I understand it to mean as well head like at attention so the chin is NOT tucked into the chest -- a forehead presentation would be head tipped back even further and then after that would be degrees of face presentation

I wanted to add this neat link because they are pic of terracotta models at this museum site.

http://brunelleschi.imss.fi.it/museum/esim.asp?c=418023
Wow, thank you for that link - those are incredible models!

(and wow, the embryotomy ones are... something else. I guess back then sometimes it was the only answer to bad presentation gone horribly wrong?)

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

savithny is offline  
Old 09-15-2009, 03:01 AM
 
katelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
(and wow, the embryotomy ones are... something else. I guess back then sometimes it was the only answer to bad presentation gone horribly wrong?)
Sadly, in some countries it is still the only solution.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

katelove is online now  
Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
 
stormborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,695
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thank you! That was driving me crazy.
Wow, mwherbs, that link is amazing! Dd and I have spent the last 2 hours exploring it. I had no idea C-sections had been performed for that long; although I suppose not many Mamas lived through them?
stormborn is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off