just venting concern for cousin-in-law - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-07-2004, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard today that my dh's cousin will be having a scheduled c-sec. she's not due for a month yet, the word , which could be incorrect, is that her cervix isnt large enough. Maybe MIL got it wrong and she meant pelvis- wasnt large enough.:

Anyway, Im pretty aware of the dis-proportionate pelvis overuse and wonder if that's basically what the dr. are using as an excuse to get this one out and ya know, It bothers me soooo much

Then i think about it and wonder again how women can just go along w/ this stuff and never question. maybe when they hear this they think "okay, so then i dont have to push it out. Yeah!"

so, thanks for listening

Laura
#2 of 10 Old 02-08-2004, 12:47 AM

Delivering a month early! Are these people insane? Stories like these just upset me terribly.
#3 of 10 Old 02-08-2004, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Oh woops! let me clarify, the sec. is scheduled around her due date and yet this has been planned already- a month before!!!
non the less, maybe not insane , but uhhh--- ignorant maybe??
Laura
#4 of 10 Old 02-08-2004, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Even if the pelvis was too small (yeah right!) and there was no way for the baby to be born normally, why do they have to schedule the c/s? Why can't they let the baby have a little labor, which is best for its lungs? Can't they just say to the mom "Come to the hospital when you are in labor and we'll do the c/s then?"

Or are they afraid then the mom will realize she is being jerked around?
#5 of 10 Old 02-09-2004, 02:28 PM

Quote:
"Come to the hospital when you are in labor and we'll do the c/s then?"
Yeah, that would defeat the point of scheduling it wouldn't it? Sheduling is so much more convenient for everyone involved. Geez, Greaseball. Don't you know anything!!??

Yeah, the whole pelvis thing really gets me. As well as the scheduling. Why would you do that???

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#6 of 10 Old 02-09-2004, 02:33 PM

Well, if you schedule the cesarean, you know you will get your doctor, and you can even pick your nurses. If I were having major surgery, I would want to know who was going to be performing it instead of just taking whoever was available.
I do think it's weird to not even have a trial of labor and see if the baby's head will engage, but then it's not me or my baby.
#7 of 10 Old 02-13-2004, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

I just want to add here, since this is a heated topic for me and others and maybe venting helps: --I've had 5 somewhat close freinds have babies over the course of 3 years and with this one scheduled it will make 4 out 6 w/ c-sec.
It's getting to the point even my dh , upon hearing of birth news, says " let me guess-another?"

Laura
#8 of 10 Old 02-15-2004, 03:25 PM

Laura, I agree, a good friend is having a scheduled c-section tomorrow, because the baby is "too big", whatever, she isn't a small woman, this is her first baby, she isn't even trying a trial labor. What worries me, is how many health care professionals are telling women they can't trust their bodies.

Anther friend had a scheduled c-section last week (for medical reasons they didn't even want her to go into labor, but didn't do the section until she passed 39 weeks) and the baby spent 5 days in the NICU for problems. It just makes me so sad, some women need this and then have to deal with the problems, and other feel it's just so convient, so what about the risks.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#9 of 10 Old 02-15-2004, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Obstetric texts even say that CPD cannot be diagnosed prior to the second stage of labor.:
#10 of 10 Old 02-18-2004, 02:50 AM

It's my understanding that CPD is really really really really really rare, and was mostly a problem with people who had had rickets. Vitamin D deficiency in childhood, really doesn't happen in mainstream america.

If you wanted to be a buttinsky, you could send your cuz in law a copy of Ina May's Guide to Childbirth....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page