Castor oil vs. Mineral oil - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-02-2009, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I walked all over CVS tonight looking for castor oil, and the pharmacists were busy. I finally grabbed the mineral oil, because it looked the same as the castor oil I took 4 years ago to induce labor with my first baby. However, now I'm worried to use it tomorrow morning, because it isn't actual castor oil. Anyone have any advice for me? I'm already 1cm, 50% effaced and -2 station. Been using EPO internally for two weeks and the full moon is this weekend, so I'm ready to get this little guy out!

So my question is, has anyone heard of or actually used mineral oil with the same results as castor oil?

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
#2 of 11 Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 AM

I'm pretty sure mineral oil is not edible...

Mama to my beautiful boys (July 07, Jan 10, May 12)  uc.jpg jumpers.gif

#3 of 11 Old 10-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mineral oil isn't going to have the same effect on your cervix- it will move your bowels because it is inedible and not easily absorbable so it irritates your intestines to the degree that they push it out- mineral oil is basically like drinking well filtered motor oil
#4 of 11 Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Yeah it is, it's sold as lactulose over here. And no, it's not going to have exactly the same effect as castor oil because it won't have the active ingredient (ricin, I think...) that causes the muscle spasms.

Being serious, the full moon doesn't mean diddly squat. Babies will come when they're ready and if baby isn't cooked, baby won't come out. You'll give yourself diarrhoea and risk baby passing meconium for absolutely no good reason whatsoever.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#5 of 11 Old 10-02-2009, 10:49 AM

It is used as a laxative for medicinal purposes; and also in the making of some candies. However, I don't know if it would also induce labour, and it can lead to temporary loss of control over the bowels (the term "anal dripping" was used), which makes me think it might be a stronger laxative than castor oil. I don't think I personnally would want to try it, I'd go looking for some castor oil!

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

#6 of 11 Old 10-02-2009, 12:02 PM

Mineral oil is not the same as Castor oil--mineral oil is a petroleum product and castor oil is a vegetable oil from the castor bean (seed). Mineral oil works as a laxative because it oils everything up, the castor oil causes cramping and works as a laxative that way. So like mentioned above, the mineral oil won't have the same action.

Also no offense to anyone above, but I've always head that "babies are born when they're ready" which is a great thing to say against blanket inductions, but really it is a complex interplay between the mother's body and the baby, and if mama is postdate, and mama is ready, mama should be granted permission to help things move along.
#7 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 04:10 PM

I used castor oil with my first and prune juice with the 2nd. I think they had the same effect.

#8 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 AM

Get the castor oil or, better yet, wait for your baby to be ready smile.gif

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#9 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 06:25 AM

I agree with waiting til baby is ready.  When I took mine I was in labor - hard labor - for several hours (12) and my mother suggested the first time castor oil, the second time warm prune juice. after the first the doc said once in hard, serious labor for several hours it didn't hurt.  So I guess mine sped up the labor but my babies were large and healthy.

good luck with your little one - don't rush them - they grow up too fast!  (Grandmother of 12)

#10 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 06:50 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5414737_mineral-oil-work-induce-labor.html

#11 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ehow has it wrong, castor oil has some prostaglandins that are part of its action. So different than prunes and Mineral oil . Mineral oil is an irritant and may increase your own prostaglandin production . Prunes are hydrophyllic and increase the fluid in the bowel, and the sugars are a bit irritant, primarily considered a fiber laxative though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page