Mothering Forum banner

After pains remedies?

718 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Awaken 
#1 ·
I don't take things like Ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc.
BUT, when I had DD a couple of years ago (2nd baby) the after pains were worse than labor. I would have agreed to have another baby to avoid the after pains.

I wound up taking a 4 hour staggered dose of Ibuprofen and an after pains herbal tincture. If I missed a dose of one I was in for it.

I REALLY don't want to do this again and REALLY don't want to take the Ibup. this time.

Can anyone recommend a really stellar after pains tonic, tincture or other remedy or prevention?

TIA

#2 ·
There's this tonic call Afterease with Crampbark, Black haw, Motherwort, & Yarrow. Not sure how well it works.
Me, personally, I just take the Ibuprofin.

#3 ·
After my fourth, my midwife gave me crampbark, I think twice 15 min apart. Boy did it work, and fast! Of course I don't know if it was a coincidence, but my afterpains went from really painful to barely noticeable. Much better than after my third birth.

#4 ·
St. John's Wort is a good herbal type thing that works great for after pains. You have to take it as labeled, but maybe a half hour before nursing. It really did wonders for my babies from #4 on. It is safe for PG and BFing, and would also help as a mood stabilizer for PPD if you are prone. Kymberli

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwlady View Post
St. John's Wort is a good herbal type thing that works great for after pains. You have to take it as labeled, but maybe a half hour before nursing. It really did wonders for my babies from #4 on. It is safe for PG and BFing, and would also help as a mood stabilizer for PPD if you are prone. Kymberli
This isn't related to afterpains, but I have to say- I wouldn't be comfortable asserting that St. John's worth is safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding. There's not a lot of information out there on it, and it acts very much like an SSRI, which do have affects on pregnancy and can pass into breastmilk. Pregnancy particularly, since it seem to affect uterine tone (which would explain why it helps with afterpains).

I'm not saying it's necessarily dangerous, but folks should do some research before deciding to take it.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions!
I've ordered the After-Ease tincture again (this is what I took last time) and have been drinking RRL, Comfrey and Nettle infusion throughout pg this time. I've also been getting probiotics, cod liver oil and more calcium than I did last time.

I'm remembering too, that for some reason my midwife forcefully (and very painfully) removed the placenta last time (something about closing cervix) so that may have had something to do with the severity of afterpains as well.

Feeling confident and ready!

Thanks Mamas!

#7 ·
Afterpains typically get worse with subsequent babies, it's a bummer! I love catnip for afterpains. You can smoke it(faster effects) or drink a tea from it. I really felt like it worked for me.

#8 ·
I used advil around the clock, but if I forgot a dose, or it just wasn't taking the pains away, I used a heating pad. It really helped in those first few days, especially while nursing.

#10 ·
wow, I was JUST coming here to post the identical thing!

the afterpains last time with my 2nd baby were so bad, I really didn't want any more children! (combined with massive engorgement!) I was in so much pain, esp. during the nights, that I never slept even when he did!

I really want some new ideas for this time- thanks for the above suggestions. I will look into comfrey, st john's wort, and crampbark. And I do normally drink catnip for relaxation, and didn't know it could help with afterpains! I did do Afterease last time and ibuprofen and it was still awful.

#11 ·
St. John's Wort is safe while breastfeeding, and helps with afterpains. It can also help before going to the dentist (I had all my uppers pulled with only Novacaine for dentures and took this before I went). It is a mood stabilizer, so it can help with PPD as well. So, it can help in more than one way. Kymberli

#12 ·
Re: st john's wort, I have been reading a lot about it lately and it sounds like a good thing for me to have on hand, for several reasons!

My question is, what form would be best to get? The herb itself for teas/infusions (and I could make a tincture if needed), tincture, or essential oil? It seems like each one has it's place, but I'm not going to buy every form of every herb I want to use!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.