Cesarean Birth Support Thread 6 (February 2004) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 113 Old 02-10-2004, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to start another thread because the other one has so many pages to it. So mama's could you post an update on your situations, plans for VBAC, plans for another c/b, or whats going on after your baby. Or if you just need a {hug} because things didnt go as planned and had a surgical birth, please post with us.

I would really like to read an update on IOF. How is your recovery going?

Monkey, how are you doing?

Jess what's up with you?

Kim
#2 of 113 Old 02-10-2004, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

thankls for askin!

all is well at the homestead, i must say that the first few weeks/2 mos were deffinetly the HARDEST so far....

ajusting in all aspects. now im back to speed i feel great, i know this bc dh and i are talking about the next monkey. my incsion looks good still not 100% closed but i is not infected or red with any ozz so ill just wait.

this has been by far the hardest thing i have had to overcome, physivally and mentally.

and thanks mdc for all the great support.
#3 of 113 Old 02-10-2004, 11:29 PM

Not pg......not planning on another pg
But I had a c/s almost 31/2 years ago and I'm here to offer all my support to other c/birth mamas!
#4 of 113 Old 02-11-2004, 01:22 AM

OTF--Thanks for asking!!

Here is my update.

I feel absolutely AMAZING !!!!! My recovery is going super. I'm at the point now where I just feel like I've been kicked in the stomach. I'm down to just one extra strength motrin a day (in the morning). I'm up and around and starting to do housework again. My mom has been here the whole time and she has been amazing!

My incision looks good. No ooze or puss to speak of. My steri strips are placed well. With T I had problems with them pulling my skin. I told the nurse about it this time and she worked hard to put them on so that wouldn't happen. She did a really good job! They are also starting to come off.

My pp bleeding is minimal. I'm hoping it will be gone in another week at the most.

Bryce is such a wonderful baby! He only seems to cry when hungry. I'm expecting my sling any day now. My mil bought me a fleece pouch. I think Bryce will make a great sling baby. He loves to be carried and snuggled. The problem is that right now I still need to be mobile while T is adjusting.

Tracy (who I am referring to as T) is doing great! We thought he would be most jealous when B nursed but that doesn't seem to be an issue right now. He is also getting a little more used to me not holding him as much. Until a few days ago he moved around too much and made me sore.

All i can say is that I am more than pleased with the outcome of everything! I do NOT in any way regret my decision to repeat. I know I waited till the last minute to decide but I feel it was for the best. It gave me a lot of time to roll around the idea of vbac and repeat in my head. There is such an amazing difference in planning a c/b and just having one. I think this is anohter reason I don't seem to be experiencing the baby blues (at first I hought it was the percocet ).

Did any of you experience this...its kinda weird... My skin is really sore. When I have loose clothing rub against my tummy it hurts!

I've lost 26 pounds! I gained 40 or 42.

I think that is about it....but that is a lot to read through!

I hope everyone else is doing well!!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#5 of 113 Old 02-11-2004, 10:25 AM

Doing well here on the c-birth front! Totally OK mentally with the fact that it was necessary. Physical recovery going great. My only complaint is that I've stopped losing weight and started gaining (bfing twins, hungry all the time, grabbing whatever is available, craving sweets).

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#6 of 113 Old 02-11-2004, 10:41 AM

Thanks for asking

This was by far my worst c-birth (surgery itself), but my very best recovery- I was off of pain meds by 5 days this time. Still bleeding some, but no pain.

FTR- I have had 3 c-births, first was planned, second was hoping to VBAC, and last one was planned. When opened this last time, I had started to rupture, OB feels scarring is too bad to have more children But, without c-births I wouldn't have any of my beautiful children, so I am very thankful and finally completey at peace with all of my births

I also love having these support threads, I feel that it is so important to be able to talk about c-births in a supportive place with educated women, and give information, get information, and hug each other through it all

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#7 of 113 Old 02-11-2004, 03:41 PM

I'm almost 28 wks (due in May). Still planning for an unmedicated hospital VBAC with an OB and a doula. I'm doing what I can to think/talk/read about how to make things go as well as possible. At every prenatal appt, I have a new list of questions I go through with the dr. I'm really trying to make sure there are no surprises and that there's good agreement on what we will and will not do.

The big unknown for me right now is the hospital. I did the hospital orientation last Saturday, and it was disappointing. The hospital itself seems great and has a fabulous reputation, but I feel like I learned almost nothing about their "standard procedures" (for v birth, c birth, and newborns). Even though the statistics are better than the hospital I birthed at last time, I'm kind of wary, because I feel like you can prepare all you want with your medical care provider, with classes, with a doula, etc., but you never even meet the L & D nurses till you're *there*. And the nurses were definitely the worst part of my whole birthing experience last time (esp. post partum). I'm writing a letter to complain about the orientation, and I'm hoping that I can just call the L&D nurses' station with my unanswered questions.

Something I definitely learned when pg with ds is that I can't control everything; that there's a lot you just have to let go of. It may come to that with this; I may have to just work around my fears of the unknown with regard to the nurses...
#8 of 113 Old 02-11-2004, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jess7396

FTR- I have had 3 c-births, first was planned, second was hoping to VBAC, and last one was planned. When opened this last time, I had started to rupture, OB feels scarring is too bad to have more children But, without c-births I wouldn't have any of my beautiful children, so I am very thankful and finally completey at peace with all of my births

I also love having these support threads, I feel that it is so important to be able to talk about c-births in a supportive place with educated women, and give information, get information, and hug each other through it all
Jess do you think you will give yourself time to heal physically from this birth and get a second opinion about any additional children. I know I am being nosey, and by no means am I saying to distrust your doctor.
I just know that I was told I would never be able to have any more biological children and I did. I think sometimes they just dont know, they are just taking their best educated guess. Now that I have had Jack my OB has given me the go ahead to have more biological children, though there may be some difficult conceiving like before.
You can tell me to shut up if you want!

edited due to accidental bad word
#9 of 113 Old 02-11-2004, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OnTheFence

You can tell me to shit up if you want!
:LOL I won't tell you to shit up or shut up

Well, I have to say, my OB is really very convinced that my life would be in danger if I were to concieve again, she said she hasn't ever seen worse scarring than mine, or such an opening (rupture beginning) and with the trouble she had getting Sean out(she said there just wasn't *room* to cut a large enough opening-bladder too far up on one side, and vessels on the other), things likely aren't going to get much better. I know it is a risk to believe something that grave, but the surgeon who assisted her agreed, and neither have ever told another patient not to have more children, so it's not as if this is something she is known for, YK?

I guess it comes down to the fact that it is simply not a risk *I* am willing to take. We are very young (DH and I), and we will consider adoption in the future (when we get some money: ). I just feel strongly that my OB is right, and as a disclaimer she did say that if I get pregnant again (by mistake ) that she feels I would survive, just that the risks are so big to me and any baby I would carry, that if she were me, she would be happy with what she has, and be thankful to have gotten this far safely. I have to agree with that.

So, while I do want more children, I also feel strongly that my best course will be adoption (which is something I have always felt *called* to for lack of a better term).

I do appreciate your asking about that though. I guess it is something that dh and I are just not willing to risk, and my OB agrees, or the other way around. Really, after hearing what the OB said, Dh would never consider having more even if I wanted to.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#10 of 113 Old 02-11-2004, 05:31 PM

I was thinking,

Is it at all possible to have a ultra sound done b4 conciving? Im a little worried about the rupture % and was wondering if any of you have had a look b4 .

I also want to share with you all that my neighbor ( she is the sweetest ladies bless her sol;e)
well she got to be at least 65 and she knows EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERY ONE LOL she was telling me she had a freind who is her age, that had 9 c sections

I find this hard to believe but know that she wouldnt be making it up... can u believ that! WHAT A WOMAN

thats all
#11 of 113 Old 02-11-2004, 07:40 PM

They can see you're scar on U/S I know, but not sure how much they can tell about your chances of rupture:

I heard (and maybe this isn't true either) that Ethel Kennedy had 11 c-sections.

I do know my OB has delivered as many as 6 for one woman.

#12 of 113 Old 02-11-2004, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Jess,

I totally understand. And adoption can be a great option to bring more children into your family. We did it ourselves! Dylan has his challenges but we would adopt again.

Kim
#13 of 113 Old 02-12-2004, 12:25 AM

thanks for the reply jess, im glad you are doing well. 3 births period is alot to endure i bet your home is alot of fun. we plan to have more. dh wants four we'll see
#14 of 113 Old 02-12-2004, 07:19 PM

We are done having children. We have had 4 pregnancies in under 3 years of marriage and I just can't do it again. I know it sounds wimpy but I'm done.

Is it odd to say that I jsut feel like we are complete?

#15 of 113 Old 02-12-2004, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by its_our_family
We are done having children. We have had 4 pregnancies in under 3 years of marriage and I just can't do it again. I know it sounds wimpy but I'm done.

Is it odd to say that I jsut feel like we are complete?
No not at all.
I know that I Want one more. I will not feek complete without the fourth. I really want a girl too. Soooo.....

Right now I want to try in the summer, but my business is doing so well I am not sure if I should wait.

Kim
#16 of 113 Old 02-13-2004, 08:07 PM

Hi Ladies ... I'm Amy, I had my ds (my 1st child) on 11/10/03 by c/b after 23 hours of flat on my back labor (due to premature rupturing of my water and risk of cord prolapse). DS was posterior and after 2+ hours of pushing he would not progress and was starting to show signs of distress so c/b seemed like the safest option. I don't plan on ttc any time soon, but I do hope to have at least 1 more child (2 more if I have my way ). Although I have lots of research yet to do, I am strongly considering a VBAC and am hoping to use a midwife and doula next time. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I haven't been here long, but I really am happy I found this group. It is nice to know that my feelings are not unique, and that there are a group of women who can offer support and know just where I'm coming from!
#17 of 113 Old 02-13-2004, 11:19 PM

I have a question about c-sections. When I had mine, I was put under general anesthesia. I have to say I am absolutely terrified about being awake for my next c-section. Do you think the doctor will put me under if I ask instead of giving me an epidural?
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#18 of 113 Old 02-13-2004, 11:26 PM

Gossamer, what scares you about it? (Just curious...)

I have to say... I had an emergency C with ds, but there was time for a spinal. And I was awake for it... If I had known in advance that I was going to have a C, be awake during surgery, and have a needle in my back, I would have totally flipped out, because I'm such a wimp. But really, it wasn't bad at all, and I'm *really* glad I got to see ds right after he was born. Between seeing the baby and it being the safer method, I'd choose a spinal/epidural over GA, myself.

But if you have really strong feelings about it, I'd definitely discuss the options with your dr. She/he may be able to help you figure out the best option for you.
#19 of 113 Old 02-13-2004, 11:33 PM

Gossamer, I don't know if the doctor will give you a general anesthetic without some real medical reaon for it. I think that the risks from a general are much greater than for an epicural or a spinal. I've had 4 C-sections, and had epidurals for all four. The only reget I have is that I couldn't see the actual birth from behind the sheet they hung.

Are you afraid of the pain of epidurals? I've had both general and epidural anesthesia, and I know that you feel less of the apprehension before a general, but I think that the epidural is safer for the baby.

But, in the long run, you have to do whatever you think is best for you and your little one. I'd just try to do some research before I made a decision.
#20 of 113 Old 02-13-2004, 11:46 PM

I am scared about the epidural, what if it goes up instead of down, what if only one side of me goes numb? What if the doctor does it wrong and I wind up paralyzed? I am terrified about feeling the incision, the pulling and tugging, the pressure. What if I don't go numb, what if I feel it all.
I had general anesthesia because I contracted HELLP syndrome and they had to do an emergency C-section. One of the symptoms of HELLP is that I had no platelets to clot my blood, and they were afraid if they did a spinal, I would bleed into my spinal column and wind up paralyzed. So they did a general and also gave me a classical incision, so I have to have sections from now on.
Gossamer

edited to add: I'm not even pregnant yet, but just thinking about an epidural has me crying at the computer. I am such a wimp.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#21 of 113 Old 02-14-2004, 01:15 AM

Oh Gossamer, I'm really sorry you feel this way. I have to honestly say that I was worried about all those things, too (and about headaches and possible allergic reactions to the drugs). But these are pretty rare side effects. And it really, really, really wasn't that bad (this is coming from someone who also faints at the sight of blood and who couldn't look at the incision itself for 2+ weeks). Maybe it would help to talk to a an anaesthesiologist? The good (or maybe bad) thing about the anaesthesiologists who work in obstetrics is that they have the opportunity to do so many of these procedures that they get awfully good at them. And they check to make sure it has "taken" before they make the incision (I think I remember them poking me various places and asking if I could feel it, and I couldn't). Dh and I *sang* through my c to distract me from any of the sensations I might have felt (and it worked really well), and when ds came out, that was a good distraction, too.

Don't be alone in your fear. Talk to us about, talk to whomever you think can make you feel better/shine light on the situation. By all means, have another baby!
#22 of 113 Old 02-14-2004, 10:30 AM

henery's mamma! and congratulations on the birth of your son!!!

OTF- 4 babies is alot and I dont think u are bieng wimpy!
I have had two and honestly Im so scared about the next, as much as I want more im shakin in my boots:LOL

im with gossamer on this one..
it is scart getting the epidural but when it comes down to it, seeing the baby for that first time and days to follow its amazing how all of the pain and scarryness goes away. as much as im a puss about it i love me babies..

#23 of 113 Old 02-14-2004, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by gossamer
I am scared about the epidural, what if it goes up instead of down, what if only one side of me goes numb? What if the doctor does it wrong and I wind up paralyzed? I am terrified about feeling the incision, the pulling and tugging, the pressure. What if I don't go numb, what if I feel it all.
I had general anesthesia because I contracted HELLP syndrome and they had to do an emergency C-section. One of the symptoms of HELLP is that I had no platelets to clot my blood, and they were afraid if they did a spinal, I would bleed into my spinal column and wind up paralyzed. So they did a general and also gave me a classical incision, so I have to have sections from now on.
Gossamer

edited to add: I'm not even pregnant yet, but just thinking about an epidural has me crying at the computer. I am such a wimp.
I am going to type quick, forgive typos, I have a stomach virus and have four children at my house.

I had all the concerns you did with the epidural. Unlike in child birth when they give you the epidural they have you lay flat afterwards and they test to see if it works. Laying evenly helps it do right. I want you to know that I did not experience any of the horrors that you read on these boards about epidurals. If I get pregnant again and have a csection I will get another one. I did have a drop in blood pressure and was given enphedrine -- this does not drug you out, it will make you wide awake and feel high! I chose an epidural because if it does begin to wear off they can redose you in the OR, a spinal is a one time shot. I had one, it didnt do right, wore off and I felt an entire csection the first time around. I also was given better pain relief through my epidurla cath after my csection.
Yes with an epidural you can feel tugging and pushing, but I did not feel any pain. I could still move my legs! This does nauseate some people, the pushing and tugging, but it did not do me that way. Of course I had done a lot of meditation and birth affirmations to ready my mind for what was going to take place.

GA during a csection is risky, and should only be done when absolutely necessary. From my observations of the few moms that have had them, had worse recoveries and post partum problems. My friend who had to have an emergency csection this summer with GA woke up and felt weird that her "baby was gone". They also really dosed her up on drugs. If you get GA you will not get to see or be with your baby right away. With my epidural I was able to hodl my baby on the table with help and I had him in my arms nursing fifteen minutes after I was out of the OR. I also was talking on the phone!

Feel free to ask a lot of questions. I am partial to epidurals for csections and chose that route for many reasons. I have had no side effects, long term from it (I still do from the spinal) My baby was not drugged, etc etc etc.

Do some research and reading on your own, ask questions here, and prepare for the next time!

Kim
#24 of 113 Old 02-14-2004, 01:21 PM

oh OTF i hope u all feel better soon!

I had a spinal and felt tugging pulling and RELIFE when they pulled out my 10 14 oz babe!

what types of effects have you felt since the spinal?????

when i had my spinal in i had this terrible twinge in my left leg. then it was gone like a shot bam left leg ouch!
and they quickly had me lay down and babe was out in 7 mins!
i also had a drop in bp i started to feel icky, my throat felt weird my neck, i didnt feel good and my heart felt like it was BEATING REALLY HARD ANMD FAST i said to my dh i dont feel good and they did something and i felt beeter. did they give me enphedrineel???

my sturnim, that litt;le thing at the bottome of my ribs was pointing out it was gross, they said bc the babe was so high and they had to push my insides up to get him... ugh it is fine now also good news my incision is closed up and looks great is 5 inch long how long is yours?
get well soooon!
#25 of 113 Old 02-14-2004, 01:21 PM

gossamer---To me the epi is the WORST thing about a c/b!

I had my second c/b 2wks ago. It is much better planned! If you can feel what is going on they just turn up the epi. Yes, you can feel tugging and pulling and sometimes it hurts...but so does labor

I have more to say but my new one is wanting to eat

#26 of 113 Old 02-14-2004, 07:21 PM

i'd like to ditto what onthefence said about GA recovery. i've heard it sucks--takes 1-2 extra days just to recover from the GA.

gossamer, i also am scared of pain. i took me 3 days after my c/b to get out of bed. and one of the reasons i'm okay with not having a vaginal birth is because i'm scared senseless about hemoroids.

i had a super nice anesthesiologist. he even held my hand and was the only one in the room who's attention was on me for the entire surgery. that helped alot. i had a spinal not an epidural, so i'm not sure what the difference would be.

one question for you all: when did you get up and walk after your c/b? (i keep reading that it should be within 24 hours ) Also, The Books say that the first c/b is the hardest to recover from and it just gets easier after that. any truth to this?

susu (14 months )
#27 of 113 Old 02-14-2004, 07:37 PM

Henry's Mamma, I am here to tell you all that VBAC is very possible, I had a CB after 30 hours of grueling labour with my ds. When dd came along 2 years later I had another grueling labour but I achieved a VBAC and I can tell you, the recovery was SO much easier. The biggest difference was the high I felt right after delivering her. I was ecstatic for weeks afterward. It was such a big difference from how I felt after my ds was born. I really urge all you mamas to consider VBACs if at all possible. I know the medical establishment keeps changing its opinion on VBAC safety but please at least consider it. Your uterus was designed to push out a baby and it can do it. BTW, I didn't even think about my scar during my labour, it felt like a non issue.
#28 of 113 Old 02-14-2004, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Susu

one question for you all: when did you get up and walk after your c/b? (i keep reading that it should be within 24 hours ) Also, The Books say that the first c/b is the hardest to recover from and it just gets easier after that. any truth to this?

susu (14 months )
With my first it was about 16 hours. It was12 with my second...it took that long for the epi to wear off....

#29 of 113 Old 02-14-2004, 08:06 PM

Hi ladies!

I've been watching this thread for a while and I thought I would introduce myself. I'm due on March 6th, but have a 2nd CB planned for the 26th of Feb.

I've been waffling between trying to VBAC and going ahead with the CB -

My history:
DD was born at 35.5 wks via unplanned CB. Water broke prematurely, labored for about 13 hours (7 w/ pitocin & epi) on my back (b/c/o cord prolapse risk) and didn't get past 4cm. Decided to go ahead with it. DD was 5lb 7oz and in NICU for a week (suck/swallow/breathe reflex problems). She's a super, energetic 19mo now. A real joy!

Today I've officially made it to week 37 - and the baby is 'measuring' around 6lbs 7oz - which is really exciting for us! YAY!

I have a new OB this time around and he's happy to try a VBAC, but has some concerns since I didn't progress past 4 despite the pitocin with a small baby. I've also had real problems with urinary incontinence since week 24 of pregnancy with DD - May '02 (and yes, I do lots of kegels).

I've been reading the VBAC companion, Dr. Sear's Brith Book and Birthing the Bradley Way.

I would like to go into labor naturally - doc won't use any interventions to get labor started or to get it to progress. Right now I'm happy with the idea of seeing what happens. If I show up to the hospital and am dialated - show good progress in a reasonable amount of time - then we'll try a VBAC. (I can't tell you what I think a reasonable amount of time is). Otherwise, we'll go wtih the CB.

I must admit, my greatest concern at this point (and the highest motivating factor for me to repeat the CB) is the incontinence issue. I really don't want it to get worse and am concerned that a vaginal birth will make it worse - particularly if there is an episiotomy or tearing. I think a 4th degree tear would be much worse to recover from than a CB.

I have two close friends that are nurse anesthetists at the hospital where I (have and) will deliver and they really want me to do the CB again. They admit, however, they they often see more complicated than uncomplicated births (or VBACs). They've been a great support to me and provided me with interesting insights into the birth process from the medical perspective.

I agree with some previous posters (sorry I can't remember your monikers), that because I don't know how it's going to play out, in some respects, I'm going to play it by ear and try and be as prepared as possible for both alternatives. I must say, though, that I'm leaning 70-30 towards CB right now.

I would also like to say that I don't think I'm 'broken' because I've had a CB and am likey to have another. I am trying to balance risks and make the best decisions for my family and myself given the alternatives available to me.

I had a wonderful CB with my daughter - it was really an interesting experience and I had a lot of fun in the operating room. I was joking with the doctor for most of the surgery. I felt like I had a natural birth experience. I know that probably makes many think that I'm crazy, but I felt like I was a key player in the process.

I have thought about the experience over and over and had many what ifs... but ultmately, the past is the past. I can't change the scar. This time I would like my baby to signal me that he's ready to come - and then we'll decide how to progress.

I would like to thank all of you for sharing your thoughts, feelings and experiences - you have given me lots of things to contemplate and helped me feel more confident in my decisions.

Good Luck to us all!
#30 of 113 Old 02-14-2004, 08:22 PM

Gossamer I really hope you can discuss your concerns with your OB and really get to feeling like you can make the best choice for you and any future babe, I agree with the PPs that general anesthesia should be a last resort, and really is more dangerous than epidural or spinal, but I know I thought about possibly being paralyzed or feeling the surgery, etc. One thing- if it's a planned c/b- you are not likely to have any problems with "feeling" it, as they will take their time to make sure all is numb before they start. Maybe if you can really research the complication rates between general and epidurals or spinals- you will feel better about being awake for the surgery. For my first 2 sections they had the baby out of me within 10 minutes of the start of surgery- then my mind was totally on the babe, and that felt better.

Baby crying to nurse, I'll be back later

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page