Need resources advocating non-hospital birth - Mothering Forums
Birth and Beyond > Need resources advocating non-hospital birth
ryelk's Avatar ryelk 03:32 PM 10-13-2009
Hi there,

a good friend and his wife are trying to get pregnant now. his wife is a nurse and he is going along with her plan to have a full-on hospital birth, epidural, etc. I'd like to send him some resources to present the other side (non-hospital, midwife birth) and am fishing for suggestions.

I already told him they should watch "business of being born" but if there's anything else they should read or watch, I'd appreciate some suggestions and/or links.

i've been observing here for awhile, haven't posted yet. we're expecting dizygotic monochorionic boy/girl twins in a couple weeks.

thanks!

ryel

Mommal's Avatar Mommal 04:36 PM 10-13-2009
You might want to suggest Jennifer Block's book Pushed. It doesn't present the full-on argument for homebirth, but it's very positive about midwives, and it talks about what is wrong with modern maternity care and lays out the avenues you don't want to go down. It's also a terrific read. The reason I suggest it is that I find that it's really hard to win over a vehemently non-crunchy person with super-crunchy arguments- Pushed charts a much more middle-of-the-road course.
womenswisdom's Avatar womenswisdom 11:51 PM 10-13-2009
Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer addresses the benefits and real risks of many of the most common interventions. I know many who have had second thoughts about an intervention-heavy birth after reading this book. They were just not initially well-informed, but that book is heavy on the research, so for medical people it might be just perfect.
Up