Question: how dangerous is a knot in the cord? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2009, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Regardless of the specific circumstances, birth location, or rarity of a true knot, if the knot was there and pulled so tight that it was cutting off circulation, then the amount of oxygen getting into mom's bloodstream isn't the problem, its the oxygen getting from mom to baby. Supplementing her oxygen when there is a block present keeping it from getting from her lungs to babies really can't fix that problem. In a case of a true knot that is pulled to tight for circulation, I can't imagine a better time for a life saving cesarean birth. Since the knot in the original story didn't become an issue until well into labor, I'd agree with the diagnosis of hypoxia from augmented contractions rather than blaming the knot. Pitocin can certainly cause this, and cytotec could cause even worse problems. I'd also agree that any homebirth midwife would have the tools and training to spot the problem and safely transfer to the hospital.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 06:35 PM

My last birth, and 4th child, was a homebirth and he had a true double knot in his cord! The midwives were amazed that they had NEVER seen anything like it and he was just fine at birth and now. The ONLY thing that made a difference with this birth was that because of the knots, his cord had sort of a bungee cord effect and pushing him out was a little more difficult because I could feel him being sucked back up me between contractions! Here's a picture of the knot from his cord. He had knotted it, and then looped back through again!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...r/DSC_9807.jpg

belly.gifMandy Mom to Hayden (9),  Ellie (7),  Jordyn (4),  Evan (10/07/09 - 01/11/12),  

and our rainbow1284.gif baby due January 29th!  

homebirth.jpg   waterbirth.jpg   redbluerib.gif   novaxnocirc.gif

candleflicker2.gif www.facebook.com/healingevan                

Old 10-17-2009, 06:45 PM

OK, I know that knot is a dangerous knot, but it does look so cool!

I can see Baby "swimming" around, and looping himself through the cord as a game!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyB View Post
Here's a picture of the knot from his cord.
That's a wild picture - thanks for sharing it! That knot is what a sailor would call a "figure 8 knot", typically used to create a bump that will stop a rope from running through a block or up into the mast.

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
Old 10-22-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobit View Post
That's a wild picture - thanks for sharing it! That knot is what a sailor would call a "figure 8 knot", typically used to create a bump that will stop a rope from running through a block or up into the mast.
Very cool! Thanks for the picture!

belly.gifMandy Mom to Hayden (9),  Ellie (7),  Jordyn (4),  Evan (10/07/09 - 01/11/12),  

and our rainbow1284.gif baby due January 29th!  

homebirth.jpg   waterbirth.jpg   redbluerib.gif   novaxnocirc.gif

candleflicker2.gif www.facebook.com/healingevan                

User Tag List