Sign at Aspen Women's Center - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have ya'll seen this image floating around? It's a sign allegedly hung up in Aspen Women's Center in Provo that reads, "Because the Physicians at Aspen Womens Center care about the quality of their patients deliveries and are very concerned about the welfare and health of your unborn child, we will not participate in: a Birth Contract, a Doulah Assisted, or a Bradley Method delivery. For those patients who are interested in such methods, please notify the nurse so we may arrange transfer of your care."
Just mind-blowing. Mind blowing.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...d=135763722272

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 PM

Yeah I've been seeing that all over Facebook. Pretty shocking!!!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 PM

WOW!! Just WOW!!

I wouldn't want to give birth there and I pretty much have to have medicalized pregnancies and births. That kind of attitude is just plain wrong.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:23 PM

Why is it wrong of them to be so upfront? Aren't we always talking about how we want a compatible care provider, and how it sucks when they seem to change their tune half way thru? Why is it ok for a mom to have demands, and wish to have them met, but not the other way around? Also, I feel like they are giving upfront notice, and that women who want those things would be happy and relieved to know right away that they are not the provider for them? I applaud them for being to upfront.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Eh, at least they're upfront about their prejudices. I find it a little odd that they chose to use the "h" at the end of Doula.

to this hospital - http://www.lifebridgehealth.org/sinaibody.cfm?id=1929 - for implementing their own doula program for their moms. (Just googled 'doulah' and that was the only relevant site I came up with.)
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Did you take that picture? It looks Photoshopped to me.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
I find it a little odd that they chose to use the "h" at the end of Doula.
It makes it look more like some exotic thing. For someone who has never heard of doulas, the h project the image of strange women doing magic spells and such.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
Old 10-20-2009, 10:42 PM

I think spelling it "doulah" looks a lot like "moulah" as in 'more moulah for us we don't have to deal with women who want a birth plan, doula and bradley childbirth' (not that women are wrong for not wanting those things).

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Did you take that picture? It looks Photoshopped to me.
I didn't take it, though I don't see any overt signs of it being photoshopped, and as a reporter I tend to have a pretty good eye for that. I'm been trying to confirm it just poking around online. I haven't called or seen it myself, but I'm seeing lots of comments from women saying they called the clinic. It passes the smell test to me.

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?i...#s168811502040

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:00 PM

looks photoshopped to me too, honestly. From the lettering right down to the shadow at the bottom of the sign.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 PM

I think its rediculous that they present these things as if they are somehow harmful to the babies.

Birth contracts/Plans. So they won't even discuss ahead of time what procedures the mothers do or don't want?

Doulas? Where do they draw the line at a doula? Friend, mother, sister, hired support person? What if a friend learned a lot about childbirth so she attend the birth with her and be educated. Oh wait, they're against women being educated about birth. Can't have these women using The Bradley method. They might decide that these epidurals and the cascade of interventions aren't that great after all.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 PM

If it's real---and I believe that it is---the most annoying part to me is the 'car[ing] about the quality of their patient's [sic] deliveries and are very concerned about the welfare and health of your unborn child' bit. I don't give a flying rat's patootie if they don't like doulas and Bradley students; lots of hospitals don't. It's absolutely the right of the clinic or care provider to say so. However, to flat-out state that being well-educated and/or bringing a professional labor assistant with one to her birth somehow DIMINISHES the quality of a woman's birth, or would in some way endanger the health and welfare of the child is ludicrous. What it endangers is their ability to cow women into procedures they don't want because they have to follow their precious policies. [/soapbox]

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 PM

I'm sure theres plenty of MDC mommies in the SLC area that could verify this.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

I just shot off an email to the regular paper and the alternative weekly. I'd love to see some real reporting on it.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 PM

The best thing about that sign though is that I'm predicting there will be a mass exodus of women leaving their "care". Even women who weren't interested in those natural birthing at all will leave. Not everybody of course, but a significant number of their "patients" will high tail it outta there.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 AM

According to this commenter over at The Unnecessarean it's real - she called about it. (Or these folks over here). Not conclusive I know, just thought I'd mention.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 AM

and to make it even more odious, the misplaced apostrophe just tops it off as a truly atrocious sign.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post
I'm sure theres plenty of MDC mommies in the SLC area that could verify this.
just called my friend in provo who goes to aspen for care and she said she has never seen any sign like that anywhere.
i guess it is POSSIBLE that she just doesnt pay very close attention to things on the wall- but i'm going to trust her on this one.

but that may be partially because i refuse to believe a practice like this exists.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 10-21-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExuberantDaffodil View Post
and to make it even more odious, the misplaced apostrophe just tops it off as a truly atrocious sign.
That is only the beginning of the errors that would make their Language Arts teachers groan. Forget birthing there, I would be sorely tempted to get a red paint pen and mark the many mistakes--- like the fact that as written it claims all the physicians in the practice have only 1 patient amongst them, and apparently she is having the sign reader's baby.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, at least they don't spring it on the patients at 32 weeks.

An article in the New York Times a year or so ago mentioned a whole hospital that banned doulas.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 AM

Hey all! I live in the area, and yes, the sign is real. One of my best friends had her first baby there with all the fun interventions. One of the Drs. there is one of the most unnatural friendly doctors around, and that was the one she got at her birth. He and she even made a little joke about doulas when he came in her room. The funny thing is that now she's training to be a doula and had her second child at home. But, yes, the sign is very, very real.

, , , and
Old 10-21-2009, 03:03 AM

Okay, I just cannot resist: [[]] notes proofreading corrections
Because the Physicians [[lower case "p"]] at Aspen Women's Center care about the quality of their patient's [["patients' "---plural possessive]] and are very concerned about the welfare and health of your [[delete "your," add "their patients'" to match plural possessive third person state of prior text; do not switch to second person and then back again]] unborn child [[should be "children" plural to match multiple patients, deliveries and physicians]], we will not participate in: a "Birth Contract", [[questionable use of quote marks; at a minimum, place comma inside quotation mark]] a Doulah Assisted [[delete "h," lower case "d" in doula and "a" in assisted, add hyphen between. Should be "doula-assisted"]], or a Bradley Method [[lower case "m," can keep cap B as Bradley was last name]] delivery. For those patients who are interested in such methods, please notify the nurse so we may arrange transfer of [[to maintain third person throughout, delete "your" and add "the patient's" instead]] your care. [[Switching to second person here might be reasonable as it serves as a call to action and could be spoken more directly to the reader of the sign. In this case, the final sentence should read: "If you are interested in such methods, please notify the nurse so we may arrange transfer of your care."]]

Forget the concepts, I don't think I could trust such a facility on the grounds of the gross editorial mistakes! Yes, some individuals are brilliant yet cannot spell or use decent grammar; however, a decent medical facility should then hire someone to proofread before printing a professional, non-temporary sign. And I don't really believe that a whole medical facility's worth of professionals could be so completely unaware of grammar rules yet actually be good at something else involving skill, practice, and attention to detail. Local ice cream shop gets a chuckle and a pass for using bad grammar and misuse of quotations; so do posters on message boards; but school administrations and hospitals DO NOT!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 AM

It is real. This OB office is in my town and my sister uses them.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
...or a Bradley Method [[lower case "m," can keep cap B as Bradley was last name]] delivery.
Actually this is semi-correct. The Bradley Method® is a a registered trademark. So they can capitalize "M" but they should include the word "The" and include the ®.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 AM

To me this sign says clearly that they don't give a damn about womens' or babies' health. All they care about is getting kids born in whatever way suits them best. Since they're doctors they know better than women could possibly know, no matter how educated women make themselves.

I think this is offending me on a cellular level. I had a birth plan, I used The Bradley Method®, and I became a doula myself after my first birth. Every part of me wants to shout it out to the world how horrible it would be to birth with this practice.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Actually this is semi-correct. The Bradley Method® is a a registered trademark. So they can capitalize "M" but they should include the word "The" and include the ®.
Good to know! Thank you! But yes, then they have to include everything and the ®. And they would have to rewrite that sentence to accommodate The Bradley Method®. I wonder if there's an infringement case possibility there, if the owners of the registered trademark wanted to get negative publicity aimed at Aspen?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there's an infringement case possibility there, if the owners of the registered trademark wanted to get negative publicity aimed at Aspen?
Now that's a good question....

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

Old 10-21-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Good to know! Thank you! But yes, then they have to include everything and the ®. And they would have to rewrite that sentence to accommodate The Bradley Method®. I wonder if there's an infringement case possibility there, if the owners of the registered trademark wanted to get negative publicity aimed at Aspen?
Good idea! I'm sure AAHCC wouldn't like that. Any Bradley teachers here know who we could contact with infringement violations?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:16 PM

Not a Bradley teacher, but I just went on their website and called their number (useless ) and it seems like the best way to reach them would be by mail.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 PM

As I said to a friend of mine, look at it this way.....

In one way I like the sign. It tells you exactly what you're going to get if you chose to keep your prenatal and delivery care with these people. You will have every test. You will have interventions and you probably will not have fully informed consent going into any of it unless you've done the research.

And if you have done the research, chances are you're going to walk away. If you're going to walk away, someone, who may not know better, might see you walk away. Then maybe they'll start asking questions.

I wish more providers would put there agendas in the front waiting room like that, it could save a lot of women a lot of time.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 

User Tag List