What does a 10+ lb baby look like? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All too happy to share!!

Here is my son at 10lbs 5oz (he was not late or early and I did not have GD).

57cm Long (thats 22.5 inches)

Because he was so long - he wasn't ever really 'fat'. He still is really tall for his age which makes him look older.

One day old.

Its all well and good seeing them on their own but you get better perspective when you see someone holding them.

Here he is (with Grandma)
And here (with me)

He went staright into 3-6 month clothing as well.

I am hoping this one is a tiddler. No carbs/cakes/sugar for me lmao

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#32 of 53 Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 PM

This is my 10 lb 8 oz baby:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rukNewborn.jpg

I don't have a picture of my middle son. He was 9 lb 15 oz and he came out looking like a sumo wrestler.
#33 of 53 Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
Ok, I hope this works... don't have much experience linking to Picasa yet...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I think these are both early pics... he did end up swelling a bit from some of the medications they gave him. But that double chin was all his own. 10 pounds, 13 ounces, and yes, I apparently did have GD. Just didn't know it yet.

oh he was beautiful!!! such a big boy! i'm sorry for your loss.

D, wife to an awesome man, mommy to 2 awesome boys!!
#34 of 53 Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
Ok, I hope this works... don't have much experience linking to Picasa yet...

I think these are both early pics... he did end up swelling a bit from some of the medications they gave him. But that double chin was all his own. 10 pounds, 13 ounces, and yes, I apparently did have GD. Just didn't know it yet.
He's gorgeous! So big and beautiful!! I'm so sorry he didn't survive.
#35 of 53 Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post
Here is my "little" one...

This is actually a link to his album... you can see what a 10lb baby looks like and then what it looks like when that 10lb baby gains 1lb a week for 10 weeks ending up at 20 lbs at 10 weeks, 30 lbs at 6 months and 44 lbs at a year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paxye/s...7594399388645/
The crazy thing with my dd is that she didn't stay chunky at all. She just got taller lol. At one year she was 20 lb. (not even double her birth weight) and now she is 6 and 45 lbs.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#36 of 53 Old 11-07-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post
Here is my "little" one...

This is actually a link to his album... you can see what a 10lb baby looks like and then what it looks like when that 10lb baby gains 1lb a week for 10 weeks ending up at 20 lbs at 10 weeks, 30 lbs at 6 months and 44 lbs at a year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paxye/s...7594399388645/
Thanks for sharing!! I enjoyed seeing his progression. My DD1 was a pound a week gainer too, but she was shorter than him. I have a pic of her on the BBLP at 3 mo and his pics reminded me of her. She stopped gaining so crazily at 6 mo. You can tell he loved his mama's milk.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
#37 of 53 Old 11-07-2009, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My second daughter was 11-6 at birth, but only 20 lbs by a year. She's huge now, however. Here is a photo I took of her the day after birth: http://www.esnips.com/doc/1149aad5-9...a8eed/IMG_0443

And 2 days after birth, on her Boppy: http://www.esnips.com/doc/66b0952f-3...8417e/IMG_0448

Her head was 15" but when I first saw her, she looked like a pinhead to me. I don't remember or know her shoulder measurements, but I think her chest was 14.5".
#38 of 53 Old 11-07-2009, 04:51 AM

okay, this is 2+ years ago now and my DD2 was just under 10lbs @ 9lb 12oz but with my 5'6" 120lb frame and my hubby 5'9" 145lb frame we were SHOCKED to say the least that we had a bigger baby. I gained around 50-60 with both DDs but #1 was a normal 7lb 11oz.
Midwife did anticipate #2 to be bigger from palpitating but of course she didn't let me in on that info

anyhow here is #2 at weigh-in around 1.5 hours old.

and here is three days

and three months

not sure if this is going to work, since this is my first time linking to picassa as well.
Nowdays she's tiny more like her parents but she had a good start.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#39 of 53 Old 11-07-2009, 12:32 PM

I should add, I did not have GD with any of my pregnancies.

My two "super huge" babies were chubby through about a year and a half, and then when they started running everywhere, they really thinned out. I can count the ribs on all my kids.
#40 of 53 Old 11-07-2009, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
okay, this is 2+ years ago now and my DD2 was just under 10lbs @ 9lb 12oz but with my 5'6" 120lb frame and my hubby 5'9" 145lb frame we were SHOCKED to say the least that we had a bigger baby. I gained around 50-60 with both DDs but #1 was a normal 7lb 11oz.
Midwife did anticipate #2 to be bigger from palpitating but of course she didn't let me in on that info

anyhow here is #2 at weigh-in around 1.5 hours old.
Cool, she looks the biggest to me in that first picture. What a cutie.
#41 of 53 Old 11-07-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow. It's cool to see all the size variations and how length can make baby not appear as big.

Did you mamas think or suspect babe was going to be big?

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#42 of 53 Old 11-08-2009, 03:42 AM

My last baby was 11#2oz, 23.25 inches, had a head measurement of 15" and a chest measurement of 17". He was huge, squishy, and like a 3 mos old. Never fit newborn clothes. I remember one trait in particular stuck out; when he was on my chest for the first time, I tried moving him over and my hands were moving on his back. Turns out there was a thick fat layer on his back and the skin was moving back and forth w/o him moving! His face was so swollen and big, and his body was just huge!

Ironically, he's now my smallest, most petite child. Can eat anything/everything and looks like I don't feed him....

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#43 of 53 Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby View Post
Personally for me, I felt huge as a house. But m/w kept guessing at 8/9 pound baby. It wasn't until last week of pg when another m/w measured me at 45 cm for 39 wks gest that I realized how huge I was and they started preparing me for a monstrous baby.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#44 of 53 Old 11-08-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Wow. It's cool to see all the size variations and how length can make baby not appear as big.

Nope. And they didn't either. It wasn't until after my waters broke and I was in labour that they also found out they didn't realise he was breech - once a scan confirmed he was 'complete breech' - the U/S Tech informed me he was 'big'.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#45 of 53 Old 11-08-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Yes and no. Yes, we knew we'd have a big baby...the smallest baby I know of in my family was 7 lbs 14 oz and that was in the day of restricted weight gain during pregnancy, so the rest of the babies have been between like 8 lbs 12 oz and 10 lbs 1 oz (with my famed great-grandpa, who was 12 lbs). At 9 lbs 13 oz, my dd is the 5th biggest baby, with the top 4 in my generation (bro, BIL, my cousins).

Buuut...we were having extra sonos for GD (a vent on its own) and based on their weight estimates about 2.5 weeks before she was born and her growth patterns between sonos, she should have been just clearing 8 lbs at 38 weeks when she came. I didn't really trust it, but when the nurses kept saying, "WOW that is one big baby!" I just kept thinking, "Huh? She's probably only 8 lbs, that's not big!" I guess their estimates made an impression, but I wasn't REALLY expecting a baby under 9 lbs, lol.

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#46 of 53 Old 11-08-2009, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I knew my first would be big i am 60 inches tall and at 40 weeks i was 55 inches around. I looked ridiculous and even my mw kept saying "wow, if you hadnt had a u/s i would be sure you were having twins!"
I figured 10 lbs - i was VERY surprised when she was 12 pounds.

Ds, felt smaller because he barely moved at all - DD was a wild child and would move so much that you could identify the parts she was moving from the outside when i was only about 6 mths along. I actually had an extra U/S with ds because he was so mellow. I could shake my whole belly and he would just lay there.

I also had hyperemesis (sp?) with ds and so i thought he would be smaller then dd. But, even with only gaining 5 lbs he was 12lbs 2oz. And he was 10 days early then dd was.
#47 of 53 Old 11-09-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I am thinking ds was only 21" because he was pretty plump. ...and just for the heck of it...my niece was born at 8lbs. 6oz. which is not big by any means but not tiny either but she looked so teeny because she was in fact long, 23" at birth.

For me, kind of...for my m/w's I don't think so..... I could tell ds was going to be bigger than his sisters but I was expecting only a 9lber...my m/w's who I had to ask for a guess said around 8 1/2lbs..I tended to measure behind, I NEVER once measured ahead....although thinking back the student m/w I saw one time did tell me she thought he had a big head and it did end up being 15". My m/w I think was kind of shocked at how big he was. When he came out she said "Well! HELLO big boy!"
#48 of 53 Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 PM

My first was 11 lb, 14 oz. I expected a 9 pounder, and my midwife later said that she was expecting a 10 pounder. I didn't even really need maternity clothes until 26 weeks. I'm really long waisted, though, so I can hide a lot of baby.

My second was SOOOOO much smaller. He was only 9 lb, 7 oz (I worked at it). I felt a lot better during that pregnancy, and I knew that he'd be a lot smaller than the first.
#49 of 53 Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:

I had an ultrasound a couple days before she was born to check fluid, as she was 10 days late...they estimated her at 9lbs and a few ounces.
The OB that was there when I delivered kept saying I was about to have a 6 pounder according to how she thought it "felt". She was wrong.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#50 of 53 Old 11-10-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
(I worked at it).
What do you mean? Interested because it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a smaller baby this time. Since I wasn't properly stitched last time and things are just a wreck still (iykwim), I would think a smaller baby would sliiiiiiiiiide right out!

#51 of 53 Old 11-10-2009, 12:42 AM

DD was 10 lbs 9 oz and had a small head, 13.25" I think. No shoulder measurement. In the NICU. At home at 11.5 lbs and 7 1/2 weeks.
#52 of 53 Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thandiwe View Post
What do you mean? Interested because it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a smaller baby this time.
I read all I could get my hands on about baby size. For me, while I think that genetics play some role, I also think that I wasn't meant to always have 12 pound babies. A nice 9 or 10 pounder was more average in my family.

With my first (the big one), I didn't eat very well, I worked a stressful job in which I routinely was awake 24 hours, and I didn't have much energy for exercise. I also developed some up and down blood pressures the last 6 weeks or so, and I crazily upped my protein (trying to keep the pressures down).

So, with #2, I made sure that I slept better (easier to do, because I wasn't in that job anymore), I ate better (with #1, I probably ate fast food 3 times a week, so this wasn't that hard to do), I did eat protein, but I didn't go overboard, and the big thing... I exercised! Now, I'm not an exerciser by nature. I'm just not. I don't like any part of it. LOL. But, 5 days a week, in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, I exercised for 30 minutes.

I think that it made a big difference for me.
#53 of 53 Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I read all I could get my hands on about baby size. For me, while I think that genetics play some role, I also think that I wasn't meant to always have 12 pound babies. A nice 9 or 10 pounder was more average in my family.

With my first (the big one), I didn't eat very well, I worked a stressful job in which I routinely was awake 24 hours, and I didn't have much energy for exercise. I also developed some up and down blood pressures the last 6 weeks or so, and I crazily upped my protein (trying to keep the pressures down).

So, with #2, I made sure that I slept better (easier to do, because I wasn't in that job anymore), I ate better (with #1, I probably ate fast food 3 times a week, so this wasn't that hard to do), I did eat protein, but I didn't go overboard, and the big thing... I exercised! Now, I'm not an exerciser by nature. I'm just not. I don't like any part of it. LOL. But, 5 days a week, in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, I exercised for 30 minutes.

I think that it made a big difference for me.
Interesting. I was kinda hoping my first 12 pounder was a fluke ( as was my mother and midwife )
With her i was 10 days "overdue", ate super duper healthy, had zero stress, exercised, and gained 30 lbs. She was 12 lbs even - 24 inches
With #2 I was so sick that i barely ate anything, layed in bed when i could, had dd to chase after, had him on my due date, and gained 5 lbs. He was 12lbs 2oz - 23 inches

It was hard on my short 5ft body to carry 23 and 24 inch long babies that were 12 lbs+ and they both had 16inch heads. I just now know that barring something really really wrong that is what i will have. This plays a part in us only having the 2 kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page