beyond awful hospital picture :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.our365.com/NewbornPortrai...0-fc563532c1a9

I'm crying inside How could they even send these? I called and their response was the film was damaged there is nothing we can do ...
I know I can just get her new pictures, but it"s just not the same. Would they have charged me for these if I had preordered a package?

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 10-28-2009, 07:16 PM

I don't understand... they are making you pay for these?????

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

No I was just speculating sorry for the confusion. I don't even know if it's my baby. I asked them to take her hat off for the picture ...

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
Old 10-28-2009, 09:57 PM

Wow, that really stinks! I'm sorry they ruined the hospital picture. My last baby's hospital pic wasn't very good, there was no way I would order it, so I took my own "hospital"-like picture when he was about 2wks old so I could have one hanging with my other boys that looked similar, but it's not quite the same, you can tell he doesn't have that barely-born look.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never heard of a hospital pic before. Sorry you're disappointed.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 10-29-2009, 01:41 AM

You'd've gotten a refund I'm sure. I'm sorry that they didn't turn out the way you hoped. And you're right, t's not the same having newborn pics taken later isn't the same.

After my first, I refused the hosptial photos. It's just a money making scam and I can usually take better pics with my little camera than the hospital's wannabe photographers. (Nearly 8 years later I feel the same way about school picture day. I have yet to have a half decent school photo come home.)

(film??? since when do these places use film anymore?)

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
Old 10-29-2009, 01:48 AM

Don't worry hospital pics are expensive and overrated.. But Hugs.. It really sucks when you expect one thing and get another...
Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mama View Post
Don't worry hospital pics are expensive and overrated.. But Hugs.. It really sucks when you expect one thing and get another...
Totally. And someday this is going to be one of those funny family stories. I'm sorry that things didn't turn out as planned, though.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatolevi View Post

After my first, I refused the hosptial photos. It's just a money making scam and I can usually take better pics with my little camera than the hospital's wannabe photographers. (Nearly 8 years later I feel the same way about school picture day. I have yet to have a half decent school photo come home.)

(film??? since when do these places use film anymore?)
Yep, the people at the hospital have no idea what they're doing-my stepmom works for our365 and has no formal photography training at all. They are however trained in up selling parents.

The hospital I birthed my youngest in still used film because they had so few births per month, they didn't have all the nifty digital equipment, or even a person to take the photos. The nurse did it. I didn't buy them, I wasn't even about to buy what I couldn't see.

To the OP, I'm confused-that is or isn't a photo of your baby? There's definitely a hat on, so maybe they mixed up the photos?

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM

It's very 'artsy' and reminds me of a Luc Tuymans painting. I am sort of shocked that anybody is still using FILM when digital is so much easier and instantaneously viewable.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM

You mean they didn't show you the pic right away? They actually sent you those pics in the mail as the package you bought? I wonder why someone didn't catch that before they were mailed out?

Even at my birth in 2000, they printed out a color sheet (on paper, not an actual pic) with the three pics they took and showed it to me right away. At my birth in 2006, we could see it on the screen immediately. The pics in 2000 were done by Growing Family and the pics 2006 were done by "That's my Baby" (both are now part of Our 365).

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 10-29-2009, 03:06 PM

I'd be shocked if they actually took that image on film. That looks much, much more like a digital image. I think it's not a problem of the "film getting messed up", it's a problem of the photographer not having a clue what they're doing. That is just an incredibly over-exposed image. They apparently didn't meter, or even bother to check the LCD on the back of their camera. I'm so sorry! Newborn portraits are best done within the first week, but if you have the budget (and desire) for a professional newborn portrait of your babe, you can still get those curled-up, newborn photos until your babe is about 2.5-3 weeks. I tell my clients that I want to see them and their newborns as soon as possible after the babe is born, but you realistically have a couple of weeks after birth, depending on the baby's birth size.

If you want something that is roughly equivalent of what you'd get from the hospital photogs, our365, etc. (who are usually earning minimum wage and have no photography training whatsoever...), I can give you a few tips on how to achieve results as good or better as what you'd get from them, on your own at home if you'd like.

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 PM

Anne I would love any tips you can give on getting beautiful newborn pics. Well beautiful pics in general. I look at the wonderful pics some women have from NILMDTS and they're just amazing. Sometimes I'm jealous we never knew what was coming so we never got to savour those last moments of life and get some good photos.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the sympathy s. Tips would be great, I'm worried about taking her out to a studio this soon!

BTW the CNA just before she took the picture mentioned how awful the pictures are 'just a point and click photoshop thing' and how I should just take her to walmart. With my son you didn't get to preview the pics, but a rep came to the house with his laptop to show the different digital enhancements so I think the film reference was baloney!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
Anne I would love any tips you can give on getting beautiful newborn pics. Well beautiful pics in general. I look at the wonderful pics some women have from NILMDTS and they're just amazing. Sometimes I'm jealous we never knew what was coming so we never got to savour those last moments of life and get some good photos.
fazer, I'm so sorry about your loss. I volunteer with NILMDTS and hate it for you that you weren't able to have those precious memories of your little one!

I'd love to start a photo tips thread. I will do that and post a link, since I'm guessing the mods wouldn't like your thread hijacked that way. Also, for those of you who want professional newborn portraits, I will say that (especially with h1n1 and all of that going around right now) I don't blame you for being reluctant to take your newborn to a studio so soon. Most photographers who specialize in babies are meticulous about keeping everything clean and germ-free, but still - it's scary. Most of my newborn sessions (and many other professional photographers I know work the same way) are done at the baby's home for exactly that reason. It's really so much easier on everyone that way. I have a stash of newborn-appropriate backgrounds, lights, baskets, etc. that I can bring and set up in even a tiny apartment if necessary, and I get the same results I would in my studio. So if you're nervous about bringing your newborn out into the world so young, but want pro newborn images, look for a professional who is able to bring the studio to you. They are out there, in just about every region.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:51 PM

wow....

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
Old 11-02-2009, 02:06 AM

Okay, I got the okay from the MDC mods and have started a thread over in Fine Arts:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...9#post14611589

I hope it's helpful!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM

Wow!

I didn't get the for my hospital born baby because I refused to let them take him away from me. Where my brother was born, they had the baby pic thing (it was digital, it looked like a small version of a warmer or a scale with a top to it) and it was in the waiting room, whoever wanted to couldd do it.
That is really crappy!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:11 PM

Wow, that stinks. Sorry your pictures didn't turn out good

We had Hunter's picture taken in the birth center, they gave us a sheet of about 8 or so pictures on it. I didn't order them though, I just keep that sheet in his baby book.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 PM

I have had the worst experience with that company.. their customer service is practically NON-existant. They are poorly run, don't respond to e-mails, and don't know how to train their people.
I loved the picture they took of my dd while she was in the NICU. I filled out my form and sent it in within a week or two with payment, and then never heard from them.
I left messages, e-mailed them, didn't hear back.
Finally, with a threat of calling the Attorney General, I found out that they had lost the negatives. They had no idea where they were or what happened, but they didn't have my baby's pictures. They didn't really care, either.
I demanded to speak with a manager & sat on hold for a while before being told that he was 'unavailable.' Kept getting disconnected (i.e. hung up on) while trying to get answers.
GRRRRR.
AND- then it took another few months of bugging them before they refunded me.
All that I have is the small 2x3 or whatever it is that says PROOF across the picture.

I do have other pictures of her at that age, but I really wanted to hang that one up with the hosp. pics of my older two & now I can't.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 11-14-2009, 06:08 AM

i am so surpeised to learn how most are so quick to judge a hosptial photographer! unfortunately some have had bad photos taken , and i dont blame you for being mad, however as an employee of OUR365 CA. i am so pleased to say that i abosolutely love my job. YES we are trained , unfortunatly some people dont have an eye for photography, however this is a service that is OFFERED to you, even after the photos are taken you are not obligated to buy them! if you dont like the photos DONT BUY THEM, simple as that.by the way the traditional style for hospital pictures is the half body vertical pose that is usually done in a baby cart with an attached camera at top, these r traditional poses and has been this way for over 20 years so if you are not happy with these then yea maybe you should take your baby to wal mart. there is always going to be unhappy customers sorry it had to be you , but its safe to say millions of moms that have had there newborn photos done with our365 are very happy with their product! btw , we are not minimum wage! i make anywhere from 17-30 dollars an hour! not to mention more money goes to those that are employed in a higher volume hospital.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelisa View Post
even after the photos are taken you are not obligated to buy them! if you dont like the photos DONT BUY THEM, simple as that.
This is not a situation where the mom simply did not LIKE the photos; this is about capturing some of the first moments in your baby's new life. I sympathize very much with this mom's complaint because as a new mom and photographer, I would expect the person to at least meter the image correctly, or be somewhere near correct. Even if the picture didn't turn out "perfect", I would probably buy it just because it's my new baby's first photo. Does that make sense? Also, you could argue that parents shouldn't "care" that much about a photo, but for some people, it means a lot. Although it's just an image, it represents something much more important, which is part of the reason I was drawn to be a photographer.

If I was photographing a birth and my client could choose which photos to buy and which ones to not buy afterwards, that's not a big deal. If her baby was just born and the photos of the baby's very first moments and breaths were way overexposed, the mom would probably be extremely disappointed and I would lose credibility. I would not, under any circumstance, send her photos to choose from where you can't even tell if it's a baby or a chicken nugget. I would probably give her a discount on the remaining photos and apologize profusely, taking full responsibility.

I'm sure not all photographers are bad at your company, and the majority of baby photos turn out just fine.

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!

User Tag List