anyone whose water broke only moments before delivery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my mom and grandmom have had these kind of deliveries, where their water never broke until moments before baby came out. that's all i know, so i'm wondering if there is any kind of patter for this kind of labor. if you had a delivery like this, what was your labor like? long, short, back labor? were all your babies like that?

EDD 12/15/09, first time mama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS was an induction via AROM, so can't say what would have happened with him.

With DD1, my water broke as she was crowning and she was born about 7 minutes later. With DD2, my water once again broke when she crowned and she was out about 3 hours later. Both of those labors were just over 2 hours.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 02:38 AM

With my #2, my water broke (with a gush) one contraction (like 30 seconds) before my daughter's head popped out. Labor, from first contraction to birth, was a grand total of four hours. Normal labor (not back labor).

My #1 had PROM 18 hours before labor really got going. 4 hours of "real" labor.
#3 broke sometime within an hour of his birth, but can't really remember when. 5.5 hours of labor.
#6 had PROM about a week, maybe two, before she was born. But it was a slow leak and I did not realize what it was until deliver. 1.25 hours of labor.

I don't really remember when the others broke, but sometime after labor began and before delivery.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#4 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 AM

With DD1, we assume my water broke about an hour before she was born (I pushed in the water for quite a while, and when i got out to push on the bed it had already broken, so it must have in the water), but with DD2, I was the one who caught her, and her water burst right at the beginning of pushing, and three pushes later she was out. Both of my labors were fairly quick, with DD2's being longer (though that was my own fault for not realizing/admitting I needed more space/seclusion). I can't actually imagine having my water burst before transition, though i do envy people whose water breaks, and then they KNOW they are going to have a baby soon. I am always in denial until transition hits, wondering if it will all just stop soon.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#5 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 03:17 AM

My water broke when I was pushing in the car, about 5 minutes away from the hospital, he was born as soon as we got to the hospital.

This was after 11ish hours of very easy-to-handle contractions every 2-4 minutes (so easy I did NOT think birth was imminent, obviously), and about 20 minutes of fast and furious, not as easy to handle transition contractions.

HTH.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#6 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 04:35 AM

Labor with DS was an intense 4 hrs. Water broke in transition and DS was born about 30 mins later.

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#7 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 06:20 AM

My labour was only 5.5 hrs in hospital & my waters must have gone in the bath in hospital (I'm sure I remember feeling a weird click/pop) and they had gone before I got into the birthing pool. I managed a 10lb boy on gas & air and I've heard labour is 'easier' if your waters are still there as if they go first, you're having a 'dry' labour!? Never heard of that before though.

angel1.gif angel1.gif  3rd Time Lucky DS born Sep '08 waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg

DH hug.gif Happily Married since Aug '06

#8 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 AM

Mine break near the end; I think it's pretty common? I think Vitamin C during pregnancy is supposed to help strengthen the bag of waters, and I did drink tons ((tons)) of V8 Juice in both prior pregnancies.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#9 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

thanks mama's. this is sooooo interesting. seems like you all had fairly short labors or short pushing stage. be interesting to see how it turns out for me. my family is from the Caribbean and my mom calls water breaking just moments before delivery 'dry labor' but whenever i ask someone in the US/google it, it's the opposite, we refer to dry labor as when the water breaks at the very beginning of labor - meaning you're laboring without the cushion of the bag of waters.

Did anyone have dilation that just jumped to 10 in a very short period. Like say, you went from 4 to 10 in less than an hour, or something?

#10 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM

My water broke while pushing with my son (second birth) I only pushed for nine minutes all together so it was pretty close to the end. Apparently I soaked a nurse!
#11 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 10:39 AM

My water breaks when the baby comes out. I have relatively quick labors with the longest being 9 hours. I also have pretty painless labor until transition, which usually hits just an hour before baby is here.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#12 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 10:52 AM

My water didn't break until I started pushing as well. I was in labor for about 11 hours, 4of those being really intense. Mostly back labor and I didn't push very long, 3 pushes and she was out.

I'm pretty sure the ideal is to keep the bag of waters intact for as long as possible. I know my midwife consistently tells me to get enough Vitamin C to strengthen my bag of waters and she definitely doesn't believe in breaking it.
#13 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 10:57 AM
pjs

My youngest (6 days old) was born in the caul, so it never broke on its own (3 hr labor). I did take quite a bit of vit c this pregnancy too. My last birth it broke during pushing (one big push and dd was born, 1.5 hr labor).
#14 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM

This happened with my son (water broke at crowning) it was a short and easy 3 hour labour.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#15 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 11:00 AM

My baby was a caul baby too. Her sac broke as she was coming out. My pushing stage was maybe 30 minutes? Have you read some of the myth surrounding caul babies? I think it's pretty neat! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caul

Mother to Elsa b. 12/06 and expecting a new one 6/10. Partner to Josh and love our two cats, Bert N Ernie.
#16 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
My youngest (6 days old) was born in the caul, so it never broke on its own (3 hr labor). I did take quite a bit of vit c this pregnancy too. My last birth it broke during pushing (one big push and dd was born, 1.5 hr labor).
how much vit c were you taking?

#17 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 11:04 AM

My UC was like that... water broke right before he crowned... I actually got a few minutes of relief after it happened and was able to ask DH to do a few things... and then my body needed to start pushing..

With my first the waters were "accidentally" broken by a doctor after I got transferred for "failure to progress"..

With my second my water broke before labour started...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#18 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 AM
pjs

between 1,000 and 1,500 each day ( a packet of emergen-c, plus a glass or two of oj daily)
#19 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousstone View Post

Did anyone have dilation that just jumped to 10 in a very short period. Like say, you went from 4 to 10 in less than an hour, or something?
Me, twice. Both baby #2 & #3 were posterior - I can't imagine how fast their deliveries would have been had they been in the right position...

With baby #2, I went from 4 cm to delivery in about 40 minutes. Bag of waters broke about 1 hour before contractions started. The doctor had checked me at 8 cm and thought he had time to go back to the office and take care of a few more patients. He didn't even make it across the parking lot before he was called back. DS was born just as the doc rushed back into the room, catching him with his bare hands. Even the nurses were surprised at how fast he came.

With baby #3, I went from 4 cm to delivery in about 25 minutes. I only had one big contraction & that was when I got up to walk down the hall from the triage room (where I was 4 cm) to the birthing room about 10 minutes after they decided to admit me. I remember yelling that I couldn't do this anymore (thinking I was still a 4!!!) as I climbed up on the bed. The when midwife checked me and said, "Honey, you already have - he's right here!" I pushed a couple of times and then sploooosh, he was there. He was born with the bag of waters intact.

(Baby #1 was a fairly normal 13 hour labor with about 1 1/2 hours of pushing).

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
#20 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 12:27 PM

With DS my membranes ruptured and contractions were immediately 5 mins apart (water breaking was my first sign of labor). I was already 2-3 cm dilated for a few weeks with him. Labor overall was pretty easy and manageable (used Hypnobirthing). Transition was a bit intense but still not too bad. Labor was 6-6.5 hours.

With DD, my labor was about 3 hours, and again pretty manageable (with hypnobirthing + hypnobabies). Transition was much less noticeable and I showed up to the birth center 10 cm dilated w/ no clue I was that far along. I didn't have a lot of rectal pressure like I did with my first (not sure if that was related to membranes still being in tact). Membranes didn't rupture til I was pushing.
#21 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM

#1 - I went in way early (30 mins after bloody show) because I was young and scared and uninformed. Epidural and pitocin were both used, so I have no idea how long labor would have lasted... water broke just in time for them to not pop it, and I think I had maybe 20-25 minutes of pushing.

#2 - Had a nice, laid-back labor at home. Contractions began around noon, but they weren't anything to write home about; enough to make me a little uncomfortable trying to take care of errands, but not enough to make me think I'd have a baby that night. It was nearly 9pm when we left for the hospital -- after talking to my doula about a hot/cold/crying sensation that hit me (she later explained that was the baby entering transition). 10cm on arrival, pushing before the water broke... I'll never see those stupid yellow light bulbs the same way, thanks to comments by DH and doula. Finally had water break, about 2 good big pushes later that the baby was out... all in all, 22 minutes after getting there.

#3 - Labor began around 5pm, easy contractions again, discomfort but very little pain. By 8pm I'd called MIL to pick up our son for the night, while I got last minute junk tossed into my overnight bag. Arrived at hospital sometime around 9ish; baby was here about 18-19 minutes later. Again, water didn't break until she was in the canal.

Nikole ~ mom of NJ (10/98), TJ (10/04), and AJ (12/09)
#22 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 12:41 PM

I think mine broke during transition or at the beginning of the pushing stage. I had a relatively short labor, 8 hours. But I was in intense active labor for 6 hours of it (contractions 1-2 minutes apart). About an hour of pushing, but with an emergency episiotomy at the end which got him out quicker.
#23 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
With my #2, my water broke (with a gush) one contraction (like 30 seconds) before my daughter's head popped out. Labor, from first contraction to birth, was a grand total of four hours. Normal labor (not back labor).

This is almost exactly what happened with my 3rd child. My hard labor was around six hours long, with her still high and free-floating until the very end. She moved down very quickly and was born after only a couple of good pushes.
#24 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 PM

With DS, water broke after 5 hours of active labour (and 12 hours of labour altogether), but baby took another 2 hours to come out.

With DD, I was fully dilated and pushing, when I suddenly realized that my water had not broken yet....which happened shortly afterwards and then she came out within a couple of minutes.

proud mama of DS (April 03), DD (Oct 06), angel1.gif (March 09), DS (April 10), DD (Oct 12)

#25 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 02:11 PM

With DS2 I was in labor for 8 hours (didn't get bad until the last 3, though) and about 20 min before I started pushing my water broke...after I had been laying down in bed for a while and I sat up, I felt a huge gush...felt the urge to push within 15 min and a few pushes later he was born.
#26 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD1 was a 19 hour labor, my membranes were ruptured by the MW when I was 10cm. SHe was born an hour later, I had spent that hour pushing.

DD2 was an 8 hour labor. My contractions got really intense, I climbed in the tub and she was born about 10 minutes later. My water broke sometime in the tub.

DS was a 4.5 hour labor, he was posterior so I had back labor, OUCH. My water broke while I was pushing or moments before. I just noticed the tub got cloudy when I started pushing.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#27 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't know about my mom, but my water didn't break with either baby until I was pushing. (Maybe 10 minutes before birth with #1 and 30-90 seconds before #2.)

I have a close friend whose water has broken hours before birth and even labor with all three. Everyone's different!

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#28 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
thanks mama's. this is sooooo interesting. seems like you all had fairly short labors or short pushing stage. be interesting to see how it turns out for me. my family is from the Caribbean and my mom calls water breaking just moments before delivery 'dry labor' but whenever i ask someone in the US/google it, it's the opposite, we refer to dry labor as when the water breaks at the very beginning of labor - meaning you're laboring without the cushion of the bag of waters.

All I know is that with DS2, my last OB visit I was 4. When I showed up about 1 hour after calling I was full.

DS1 - I think I went from 2 to 10 in about 30-45 minutes after I was given an epidural.

DD1 - showed up with almost no labor and was at 9 1/2 to 10

DD2 - showed up with no labor and was 10 and no one would believe I was in labor and kept trying to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about when I kept telling them I needed to push.
#29 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
my family is from the Caribbean and my mom calls water breaking just moments before delivery 'dry labor' but whenever i ask someone in the US/google it, it's the opposite, we refer to dry labor as when the water breaks at the very beginning of labor - meaning you're laboring without the cushion of the bag of waters.
Huh. My concept of a "dry birth" (which is what I had with my #6) is a birth that has no "puddles" of water at the birth. Unlike most births, there were no gushes before the birth (water already leaked out) and no gushes that followed the baby. I had one tiny towel that was not even fully wet after the birth. Thus, it was "dry", although Baby was "gooey", because there was no water present at the time of the birth.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#30 of 65 Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
...no one would believe I was in labor and kept trying to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about when I kept telling them I needed to push.
This was me too!!! I kept telling the nurse I felt like I needed to push and she said, "No, I just checked you and you were 4 cm." I told her, nooooooo I really needed to push. She told me again there was no way and that is when I yelled I couldn't do it any more. Then the midwife arrived and checked me and told me that I was complete and the baby was right there. So HA on that nurse.

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page