No appetite postpartum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm almost 3 weeks PP and just have no appetite. I don't want to eat anything. I find myself just choking food down. What gives? I'm not depressed. I know that loss of appetite can be part of pp depression, but I'm honestly not depressed. I know what depression is, I was depressed for years in my late teens/early 20's.

I just don't want to eat, anything... ever. Don't want to cook, don't want to grocery shop, don't even want to pour a bowl of cereal. What gives?
#2 of 5 Old 11-03-2009, 05:59 PM

I unfortunatly don't have an answer for you, but I'm 1 w PP and I'm in the same boat. I'm still managing to eat though, but really, I'm forcing myself, and I'm eating much smaller quantities than i normally would.
I didn't even touch the Halloween chocolates...I just didn't want it!!!

Maybe our body's doing ok on the fat reserves we accumulated during pregnancy??? That's my theory for now.
#3 of 5 Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 AM

Anemia can cause loss of appetite. You may be anemic after giving birth if your iron stores were depleted during the pregnancy or you lost a lot of blood during your birth and immediately postpartum. Your doctor can check your iron levels and may recommend iron pills. As your iron levels rise your apatite will come back. Of course it could be something else or just what your body does.

Mama to DD 12/05, DS 8/09 , nursing, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-vaxing, no circ
#4 of 5 Old 11-04-2009, 11:12 AM

I was in my own little world or something after DD was born. It never would've occurred to me to eat or make food. Thankfully my mother was staying with us the first 2 weeks and she made up 3 square meals a day plus snacks and always made sure I had a glass of water with me.

Somewhere in the first 2 weeks my appetite came back.... and then the breastfeeding cravings started. I ate and ate and ate and ate- and then I sent my husband out for things that I need to have RIGHT AWAY, and I'd never done that during pregnancy so we were both pretty surprised.

I've often wondered if it isn't a natural response to labour and birth in some way? Sort of like how when you're sick your digestion slows because your body is focusing on make you better. Maybe your body is focusing on breastmilk, healing, things returning to normal, etc and the once everything is closer to where it should be it'll turn the focus back to digestion and eating again.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#5 of 5 Old 11-04-2009, 04:37 PM

I was the same way, just absolutely no appetite. Not sure what causes it, the anemia suggestion makes sense though. I just tried to drink lots of water and choke down some healthy food for that little bit. Around two weeks my hunger came back in full force, and I had the strange cravings too! My thing was chocolate cupcakes...the kind with the squiggly white line on the top. So strange!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page