Is it possible to have an unmedicated hospital birth w/ no tub? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm giving birth in the hospital where there is no tub. It is a great hospital and I'll have a private room and bath, lots of room to walk around, and the bottom of the bed turns into a birthing stool thing should I want to squat.

But I'm just wondering - are there any moms out there who had a successful unmedicated birth in the hospital with no tub? I read stories all the time about ppl who do it w/o meds but have the advantage of a tub, and I'm just wondering if I stand a chance w/o access to one!

Any stories like this to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 08:29 PM

DDC crashing...

Ok, so I had a c-section, but that was because my dd was malpositioned and I had no urge to push (would've waited to push in hindsight, but that's another story). But I had a pitocin-induced labor, on bedrest, with NO pain medications, and got through labor just fine. I could get on hand and knees and sit up, so that helped.

It is possible. Don't second guess yourself.

When I was pregnant the first time, I went into labor with the idea that contractions didn't have to hurt, that they are very powerful but they didn't have to hurt. I expected them NOT to hurt (positive thinking), but I made sure to tell myself to not be surprised if they did hurt like hell. That I wasn't a failure if it was just too much for me to handle.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#3 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 08:40 PM

yup- well I didn't have time to wait for a room with a tub to free up. Basically the doctor ordered a room with a tub for me. While I was waiting (about an hour or less) I was walking around. With each step my baby scooted down a considerable amount that by the time the room was almost ready all I wanted to do was push. So there you go- very painful- but considering it I delivered about 2 hours after I go to the hospital and pushed less than 20 minutes- I guess it could have been worse.
#4 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
DDC crashing too ... to say "yes!" Go for it!
I planned a homebirth and ended up risked out due to pre-eclampsia.
I ended up at the hospital with my midwives attending.
No medication. No tub. Did awesome!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#5 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I did it twice. Before water birth was the style. I had awesome births and the babies were caught by my beloved cnm. No interventions at all and no drugs. Gave birth to one of them standing up with midwife sitting on a sterile sheet to catch. So cool.
#6 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Love these stories! They are very inspiring! Please keep 'em coming. They are giving me hope I can survive it w/o the tub factor.

I'll also have a great doula for support. Mostly I'm just scared the pain is going to be so intense that I will pass out or die or something. :-Z But I honestly feel like I'm more afraid of getting the epidural! It sounds so nasty. :-Z
#7 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 09:06 PM

I'm also a first timer, so no personal experience, but my mom is very jealous that I will have a tub, because she didn't have one for any of her natural births. She always describes the feeling as intense, not painful.

You can do it! I'm hoping to get to the hospital too late to have time for the tub myself.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#8 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Yup, I did it w/second birth... I did not want medical intervention by way of pain meds, etc. so I labored at home until I was far along. Lived in NYC then and the cab ride to the hospital was hellish during contractions, so I don't really reccomend that part (too bad I couldn't have been closer and just walked there!), but when I got to the hospital and asked about filling up the tub, mw said heartbeat was in distress and that I had to go upstairs to the regular hospital and leave the birth center... Cord was around ds's neck twice, but I labored for about an hour and delivered him a-ok without any meds. This time around I am not sure about using the tub in the hospital because of my preference to labor at home - but then again, I have not toured the hospital yet and may change my mind if it is comfy there... I do not intend on using pain meds this time around and may not have the time to fill up the tub, etc, again. Anyway - you can do it!!! Positive thinking!!!

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#9 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 09:12 PM

Yes, I walked, knelt, and was in and out of the shower. It wasn't entirely unmedicated, as I did have 2 extra-strength Tylenol, but she was fully posterior the whole time, so I had crazy back-labor.

It can be done, though!

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#10 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 09:13 PM

DDC crashing...Absolutely it's possible! My first two babies were born in the hospital, before tubs were available in all but the most progressive of hospitals, with no meds. My third was born at home in a tub. IME, freedom of movement is the most important thing for pain management, much more important than a tub.

computergeek2.gif

#11 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 PM

DDC crashing also. I had a hosptial birth with no pain meds without a tub. I did use a shower. I even birthed on my back (by choice, other positions were available). This was in a very supportive hospital though. My mother didn't have meds for either of her births (back in the 80's) either, and hers were in very mainstream hospitals, but they were also very fast (no time for meds!)

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#12 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

I've done it twice. The first time I had a CNM who was with me for most of labor. The second time I found a doula trainee who needed a birth for certification. I'm really glad she was there, because most of my labor was over the shift change, and because things seemed to be progressing slowly the hospital staff was too busy to offer support until the doula told them I was in transition. DH and I had asked her to be proactive with comfort measures, and she really helped.

ETA: I completely agree with what an earlier poster said about freedom of movement. For my first birth, the CNM got one strip showing 20 minutes of contractions and the baby's heart rate, and then just used a doppler. With my second, the nurses insisted on 20 minutes of monitoring hourly (and the last time, she went off to the nursing station and forgot about me). It was the most uncomfortable part. If I had it to do over, I'd put my foot down about the monitors. Doppler only, or with the monitor strapped on only for three contractions at a time, or some other compromise that didn't limit movement would be OK. Friends don't let friends be strapped to monitors for 20 minutes.
#13 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 10:04 PM

I hope it's possible! My hospital doesn't have a tub, but showers and freedom of movement.

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
#14 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 10:06 PM

2 different hospitals, no tubs. 1st was induced, but that was not because I was failing to progress and a tub may have helped or anything. No pain meds either time.
#15 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 PM

Dont worry mama it is very possible. All of my boys were born in a hospital unmedicated with no tubs. Well actually there were tubs but im too much of a germ phobe to get anywhere near them So the answer is YES it is possible. I found that being prepare (child birth classes/birthing classes) really helped me
#16 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Another DDC crasher - to say another YES! I had my dd with no pain meds at all, after being induced with pitocin. No tear either! I spent a good part of the time in the shower, till suddenly I HAD to push. I raced back to bed with my gown flapping, pushed a couple of times, and there she was!
#17 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 10:28 PM

DDC crashing... I had both of mine in the hospital with a CNM and no water birth option. No interventions, no drugs, no tears, no problems at all! I also labored in the shower for much of the time with DD, moved to bed just as I was pushing. You can do it Mama!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#18 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 10:33 PM

It sure is!

DD was born in the hospital and her birth was totally unmedicated. She was also posterior until the last few minutes so the back labor was really, really intense. I did fine without a tub and never even considered meds, so it really was totally manageable. I did use the shower though, which was nice. I will say... having unlimited hot water in the hospital was pretty cool since I sooooo don't have that luxury at home.

There are LOTS of other pain management techniques besides water, don't forget about them! Counter pressure, massage, hot water bottles/heating pads, the hip squeeze, birthing balls, etc. are all great options! You can do it mama! You can see some here: http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/...anagement.html

The most important thing, in my opinion, is waiting to go the hospital and not rushing in at the first sign of contractions! I can't stress that enough. If I had done that with my first birth it would have gone much, much differently!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#19 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 PM

I had my dd in hospital with no drugs and no tub or shower.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#20 of 49 Old 11-13-2009, 11:46 PM

I had two babies in hospitals with no medication and no tub. The shower was really a lifesaver, walking and moving around, also helped a lot.

I totally agree about waiting to go to the hospital. Stay in the shower or tub at home, walk around, sing.

With my first I had really bad back labor and went to the hospital too soon (IMO). I was already dilated a lot, though, so it was hard to tell.

Chances are if you wait long enough, you will be in transiton and it will be too late for pain meds.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#21 of 49 Old 11-14-2009, 01:09 AM

I had my first in the hospital, unmedicated, no tub, no shower, and I didn't even move around that much. My hospital didn't do epidurals at all though (many hospitals here are opposed to any sort of pain meds during labor), so I just didn't have the option, which sort of made it easier. I took a short bath in the tub before I went to the hospital, but I actually wasn't even in there as long as I thought I'd be, as I was uncomfortable in the water at that point.

But it is totally possible. Go for it and don't worry about the lack of a tub, tubs are great but loads of people don't have access to them and still give birth unmedicated.

: Mom to DS (10/29/07) and DD (12/1/09). Visit my blog in my profile to read about our lives in Beijing!
#22 of 49 Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 AM

Definitely possible. I asked for an epidural when I was in transition with DS and then was like, "Nooo, don't bring me one! Check me!" *laughs* I did have access to a tub if I wanted it but it sounded like the worst thing ever at that point.
#23 of 49 Old 11-15-2009, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first was an unmedicated hospital birth with no tub, but I showed up almost ready to push.

My others have been homebirths, and for me, the shower helps much more than the tub. I like having the heat & water, but also being able to stand up and move during the contractions.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#24 of 49 Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 PM

I had DS in a hospital with no meds :-) There actually was a jucuzzi but being wet and in labor and just... it isn't for me.
I did walk the halls (and stop at the kitchenette LMAO) a lot. I got there 12 hours before he was born and I was only like 3 centimeters or something.
It can certainly be done. Good luck
(I'm from the April DDC but you were in new posts and I figured the more BTDT, the better)

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#25 of 49 Old 11-15-2009, 01:47 PM

Add three more hospital births with no pain meds and no birthing tub. I did use the hot shower though.

One nice thing about the hospital shower is - you don't run out of hot water!

Good luck!

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#26 of 49 Old 11-15-2009, 03:00 PM

Another no-meds no-tub hospital birth here (with my second baby) and planning the same with this one! Our hospital does have tubs, but my water had broken and I couldn't quite get past wondering how clean the tub was. I did shower, but I think it's what threw me into transition, so my memory of the shower is more...intense...than soothing.

Brackin, mom to DD (10/02), DS (5/06) and DS (12/09) jumpers.gif
#27 of 49 Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Can I join in as unmedicated even though I had some gas and air. Not sure it did anything other than help me breathe deeply, I didn't even laugh at all (yes I'm sure my bottle had the laughing part removed leaving me with just gas).

I was on pitocin and just sat on a birth ball until I got quite close and felt the need to lie down, then I lay on my side until Isabel came out. I only had a shower once because it was a hassle to be unconnected from the drip and the monitors. Although I like the idea of a home birth, to be honest I like the fact that somone else cleans up in hospital, they bring me clean clothes for me and the baby each day, provide nappys, bring me food, provide maternity pads... I'd love to have a waterbirth next and am hoping I can keep my membranes intact (or naturally get everything going quick enough) this time so that I don't necessarily need pitocin and EFM next time.

A hospital birth doesn't necessarily mean interventions and medication, it all depends on the hospital and the staff. Trust in yourself and your body and you'll be fine.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

#28 of 49 Old 11-15-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerdoo View Post
I'm giving birth in the hospital where there is no tub. It is a great hospital and I'll have a private room and bath, lots of room to walk around, and the bottom of the bed turns into a birthing stool thing should I want to squat.

But I'm just wondering - are there any moms out there who had a successful unmedicated birth in the hospital with no tub? I read stories all the time about ppl who do it w/o meds but have the advantage of a tub, and I'm just wondering if I stand a chance w/o access to one!

Any stories like this to share?

DDC crashing...

just had my baby in oct. it was a hosp/birth center birth. they had a tub but i didnt use it. i walked the halls, sat on a birth ball but didnt like it.
i had no meds at all. i did however have a doula. she knew where to apply the pressure to get me through the ctxs. i wouldnt have liked the tub, bc it was uncomfortable for me to do anything but walk or bend over the counter. i birthed on my knees. i had the back of the hosp bed all the way up. i was on my knees facing the back of the bed with my chest leaning against the back of the bed.

your body will tell you what position to be in. just keep moving to find the least uncomfortable thing

i did take a hot shower before going to the hosp.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#29 of 49 Old 11-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
Although I like the idea of a home birth, to be honest I like the fact that somone else cleans up in hospital, they bring me clean clothes for me and the baby each day, provide nappys, bring me food, provide maternity pads... I'd love to have a waterbirth next and am hoping I can keep my membranes intact (or naturally get everything going quick enough) this time so that I don't necessarily need pitocin and EFM next time.

A hospital birth doesn't necessarily mean interventions and medication, it all depends on the hospital and the staff. Trust in yourself and your body and you'll be fine.

this is so me, too. I like being able to leave the mess behind...

And I've been lucky to live in parts of the country with pretty progressive hospitals that support natural birth and breastfeeding, are fine with no vaccinations and no circ.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#30 of 49 Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
I like the fact that somone else cleans up in hospital, they bring me clean clothes for me and the baby each day, provide nappys, bring me food, provide maternity pads...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page