Cord burning - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.clareloprinzi.com/cordburning.html

Anyone heard of, or done, this? I found this article today and am very interested to hear more from anyone who is familiar with this practice. I have an appt on Thurs with my mw and plan to ask her then if she has heard of it.

Basically, instead of clamping and cutting the cord, you burn it with a small flame til it separates and cauterizes the end.

Thanks!!
#2 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 PM

I've never heard of that before. That's really interesting. I wonder if it always falls off that much faster than with clamping? I wonder if it would work just as well to clamp and cut and then cauterize the end (for time's sake).
#3 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 PM

This is the first time I have heard of that too.
#4 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have seen other photo sets of burning the cord off- some in central America maybe- any way it is a clean way to do it especially with candles and not some sort of dung fire - very low likelyhood/ chance for infection to develop- something to keep in mind in low resource areas- instead of clamps/ties and blades
#5 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 AM

It's one of the more hygenic traditional ways of dealing with the cord. I haven't done it, but Midwifery Today did a nice article on traditional cord treatment. It separates, cauterizes and leaves the "open" end as close to sterile as possible in many situations. I don't see why cauterizing after cutting wouldn't have the same affect. Anyone?

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#6 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 05:22 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#7 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 01:44 PM

I've heard about this. Something to consider. I'm going to ask my midwife about it.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08 angel2.gif  and rainbow1284.gif Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again December 7th! baby.gif 
#8 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 PM

That's a nice way of handling the cord. Definitely worth doing more research into.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#9 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 03:58 PM

I was just reading about this on an MDC mama's blog. http://missionarymidwifemama.blogspo...d-burning.html

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#10 of 13 Old 11-20-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I forgot to ask my mw yesterday at my appt, but I do have quite a lot of time left. Clamping and cutting was quite easy, but this seems like a really nice safe alternative. I'm going to do more googling.
#11 of 13 Old 11-21-2009, 02:55 AM

I wouldn't choose it first. I think that it's a sterile option, when you're in unexpected circumstances.

Also, I assume it must have a religious/spiritual purpose as well.
The combination of fire magic, with a dislike of using metal, and etc.
I imagine it has almost ceremonial purposes.

I would be more interested, if I could explore that avenue of it. But as it stands now, I would just cut it, if I didn't lotus.
#12 of 13 Old 11-22-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvaine Undomiel View Post
Also, I assume it must have a religious/spiritual purpose as well.
The combination of fire magic, with a dislike of using metal, and etc.
I imagine it has almost ceremonial purposes.
That's an interesting point. I'd be really interested in knowing more about that.
#13 of 13 Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 PM

I've done this for several families. It is a very nice tradition and brings a bit of ritual into the cord seperation. It is very gentle, takes about 10-15 minutes, doesn't smell bad, and offers a very sweet time for the family to honor the seperation of baby from placenta. I typically do this about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after the delivery of the placenta and use beeswax candles. I also make sure that the baby is well protected from the flame and hot wax by swaddeling it in some blankets. Sometimes the cord will pop and blow out the candles which to me shows the amazing energy that is in the umbilical cord. Benefits of this are bringing lost heat back to the baby and giving the baby the life force left in the placenta. Yes and it cauterizing the cord which can be a very important and beneficial piece for women working with mothers in third world. NO clamp, band of string is needed after this is done. In pictures of this amazing tradition you can see how the families honor this time and they are also quite warming to the soul.

I have both Christian and non-Christian families choose this method of cord seperation. It doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone. Some people just want to do it and others do not. I personally love it!

I pack my birth instruments and my suture instruments seperately. It is nice how I don't have to open birth instruments for families choosing this tradition.

Patricia, midwife, mama, lover of a man with funny glasses

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page