Cytotec suppository after C/S - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone heard of or had a cytotec suppository after a C-section? What other suppository would they use?

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#2 of 6 Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 PM

Cytotec is used for post partum hemorrhage, although I can't think of a time when I've used it after a c/s, I don't believe it is contraindicated. So that is probably why it was used.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#3 of 6 Old 11-23-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
Has anyone heard of or had a cytotec suppository after a C-section? What other suppository would they use?
Context?
#4 of 6 Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 PM

I was given a couple of different suppositories after my c/s (purely due to complications though as I wasn't allowed to drink or eat for 5 days after landing back in the hospital-pancreatitis/gallbladder issues). One was phenergan (for extreme nausea) and the other tylenol.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 6 Old 11-23-2009, 09:36 PM

Diclofenac suppositories are quite common in the UK for pain relief after a c-section. There are lots of drugs that can be delivered by this method, I'm unclear on whether the question here is that you know you (or someone else) was given a suppository and you knew this was the form cytotec was usually given for a PPH and are assuming this must have been what it was, or if you know this was given and are wondering why.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#6 of 6 Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 AM

Rectal cytotec is the new methergin! It can be given both after a vaginal delivery or C/S for the treatment of PPH when pitocin isn't enough. Methergin has the side effect of increasing blood pressure and hemobate has side effects to terrible to even mention High dose pitocin is the first drug of choice for PPH, but when that is not enough rectal cytotec usually does the trick. Cytotec for the induction of labor is 25-50mcg, however rectal cytotec for PPH is 400-800mcg. It is very effective!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page