Problems Dilating For Labor After LEEP? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-29-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not quite 40 weeks pregnant with my first child. In 2005, I had a LEEP to remove precancerous cervical cells. I know (and my OB/GYN has confirmed) that there is some scar tissue covering my cervix now.

I am just wondering if anyone else here has had this, and what, if any, affect cervical scar tissue may have had on cervical dilation prior to or during labor?

I should mention that I have had cervical checks for the past three weeks by three different OB/GYNs in the practice; they have all pronounced my cervix "tight as a drum." Sigh.

I am just hoping that this doesn't cause a hold-up (or crazy interventions) for me to get labor started.

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 01:01 AM

I have scar tissue on my cervix but not from LEEP. I was able to vaginally deliver my two children with only minimal "problems".
Both times I went into labour, I had no trouble dilating to 9cms... almost 10 but a lip of my cervix wouldn't dilate easily. It took a while but with the help of an OB pushing back my cervix as I pushed, the baby's head was able to push past it and be born easily after that.
It's frustrating, at least for me because my body just wants to push from 8cms on, I have no control of it but that darned cervix just won't let me totally go for it for quite a while. But I did it, it dilated and my babies were born vaginally.

I should say that I was induced with both my pregnancies. With my first, i was nearing 3 weeks overdue and she was just not intersested in being born and my second was induced a week past my edd because I had a long hard pregnancy and an over eager Dr. I was not dilated even a smidgen with my first but was 1cm for about a week before my ds was born. Not sure if that has anything to do with scar tissue on a cervix though.

#3 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 01:03 AM

I dont know much, but I recently met someone who said somebody had to "pop" open her scar tissue for her to get past a certain point in labor. She went into labor on her own just fine though. Good luck!

Jeanna, proud mama to 3 sweet girls!
#4 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 05:15 AM

You might also consider topically applying evening primrose oil to your cervix. I have read about it softening scar tissue for women with similar issues.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#5 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 06:47 AM

I'm sorry to say that my experience has been that women sometimes do labor for a while with very little progress in dilation. It often seems to be no change, no change, no change, followed by rapid, suddenly change.

Good luck!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#6 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminist~mama View Post
I'm sorry to say that my experience has been that women sometimes do labor for a while with very little progress in dilation. It often seems to be no change, no change, no change, followed by rapid, suddenly change.

Good luck!
Yup. I sustained some scar tissue to my cervix and conceived almost immediately afterwards: that birth was fine, but then after surgery and more scar tissue, I had another kid. I had a month of prodromal labour, finally started dilating very slowly. And then I felt my cervix pop past the scar tissue and dilate- I went from 4cm to fully dilated. Then I felt my waters break. And THEN I felt the baby move through my cervix and out with the next contraction.

I strongly recommend taking it a bit slower, because that was kind of hard to process emotionally.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 11:48 AM

I had a LEEP in 2000 and my first child in 2006. I dilated to five or six with no problem, but was "stuck" there for much of a day. Even though I totally knew that was likely to happen due to the scar tissue, it still caused my OB to get worried about my lack of "progress." Then finally I went from 6 to 10 really quickly and had an uncomplicated vaginal birth.
Good luck!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#8 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 PM

Moved to Birth and Beyond.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#9 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 PM

I had LEEP in 2006 in between my first two pregnancies. No idea if i had scar tissue or not, but I can say that my second labor was very different from my first. With my first, I labored a total of about 6 hours, and was at about 7 cm by the 5 hour mark, maybe a bit sooner. With my second, my labor was much more intense and cxns more frequent, but after 5 hours, i was still only 4 cm, which surprised me. All of a sudden, my cxns came one after another and 10 minutes later my baby came out... I always suspected i may have had trouble dilating past some scar tissue, but he was also posterior, so who knows? Anyway, good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page