legit reason for c-section? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-18-2004, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AJP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone I know just had a c-section because (as I got the story second-hand) the cord was wrapped around the baby's neck twice and the heartrate was low (don't know how low). I know nothing more about the situation than that at this point (baby's position, how long pushing, etc.), but I'm wondering if these are legitimate reasons for c-section, taken by themselves, given normal labor length, normal cord length and the like. I think I've seen even hospital births on TV (Baby Story, etc.) where the baby comes out with the cord wrapped around the neck and the birth attendant just tells the mom to stop pushing for a minute while they move the cord. This was someone who wanted a home birth but couldn't afford it (insurance would only pay hospital), and is admittedly intimidated by doctors and doesn't like to make waves. Not that anything can be done about it now, but I'm curious whether this was one of those situations where a hospital environment caused a c-section rather than simply allowed it. She had only been at the hospital for a few hours when this happened. I'm sad for her, but of course happy for a healthy baby. I'm sure to be asked for my opinion at some point, and am thinking I'll just have to prevaricate and/or bite my tongue in order to not cause or exacerbate hurt feelings.

There is no secret ingredient.
#2 of 6 Old 02-18-2004, 10:30 PM

Definitely cord issues can cause some serious problems, though not as often as people would assume.

And, yes, pushing in positions that hinder oxygenation of the baby (on the back, as well as forced pushing with lots of breath holding) can exacerbate issues with baby.

It's hard to know the whole story and what actually happened.

I think the biggest thing is to just hear your friend and listen to her if she needs processing. Validating her feelings will be important, no matter how she feels about the birth.

If she asks you specifics about the birth, perhaps guiding her to books or online resources might help her out without it being about you letting her know what was "wrong" in her birth.

You sound like an amazing, caring friend.
#3 of 6 Old 02-18-2004, 10:50 PM

I was in that position, *and* my son was transverse, *and* I was 2 1/2 wks past my EDD, and I was not in labor (and nowhere near being in labor or being a good candidate for an induction). I had an emergency C, and I think it was warranted.

The best thing you can do for your friend is to listen very carefully to her whole birth story before you comment. If upon hearing her story, you think that they acted too quickly, I'd still think twice about telling her that, especially since the birth was recent. It's also a good idea to let her have some time to sort through her own feelings about the birth first.
#4 of 6 Old 02-18-2004, 11:41 PM

If I were in your position I wouldn't feel qualified to comment on her situation. I think the best thing is to just listen.
#5 of 6 Old 02-19-2004, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter
AJP

Thanks very much for the caring replies. I have no intention of commenting unless I'm directly asked, and hoping I won't be, because I'm so very cynical about hospital birth procedures and policies that it's bound to show on my face. I will focus on the beautiful baby and offer any help I can for her transition into motherhood. I feel so oogy about what a medical procedure birth is in our society, I just hate to think of people I love, who have good intentions about natural parenting, being caught up in anything like that if it didn't strictly need to happen! I will keep my mouth shut, I will keep my mouth shut, I will keep my mouth shut. I was mainly asking to satisfy my own curiosity about the situations that really do call for c-sections, and also in case she wants to explore the issue later (when the post-partum hormonal turmoil subsides, I wouldn't dream of bringing up a touchy subject with a brand new mom, I remember what it was like!).

There is no secret ingredient.
#6 of 6 Old 02-19-2004, 03:05 AM

my ds had the cord wrapped around his neck and was having heart declerations and i was able to deliver vaginally, but they had already started to talk c-section in low voices thinking i wouldn't hear them. had i not been progressing so quickly and able to push him out in just a few pushes, i would have been faced with making the choice about an emergency c-section.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page