Hospital Birthers: Were You Able to Bedshare with Your Newborn? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Were You Able to Bedshare in Hospital with Your Newborn?
I bedshared without any trouble from staff 180 65.69%
I wanted to bedshare and did despite staff disapproval 40 14.60%
I wanted to bedshare and didn't because of staff disapproval 13 4.74%
I bedshared on the sly to avoid any conflicts 24 8.76%
NA-I didn't want to bedshare 4 1.46%
Other 13 4.74%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 104 Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Bea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted other because it wasn't a case of "bedsharing without any trouble from the staff", they actively encouraged it.

This was a huge, mainstream medical center but they seemed very big on breastfeeding and co sleeping.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#92 of 104 Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 PM

No problem bedsharing at all. Only comment was from a nurse who reminded me to put the bed rail up.
#93 of 104 Old 12-12-2009, 12:56 AM

I had heard about women being scorned about co-sleeping in the hospital so I was nervous when I had dd in bed with me when the nurse came in to check on us. She actually praised me for having the baby in bed with me. I delivered at the same hospital with all three of my children and was impressed at how easy going they were about stuff.

Sarah, mother of three kiddos
#94 of 104 Old 12-13-2009, 04:47 AM

I bedshared without any problems (because the midwives were very vocal in their support of it). In fact, I fell asleep while one of them was giving me a break (baby had been screaming constantly for 3 days) and when I woke up he was in bed asleep with me. They'd tiptoed in and tucked him in next to me.
#95 of 104 Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 AM

I didn't read the responses.
Huge cosleeping proponent, but I do have serious safety concerns w/ hospital cosleeping.
I bedshared with both w/o any trouble, but honestly, I didn't feel it was very safe. Such a tiny bed, with the railings, etc. It was very hard to be comfortable and feel safe. Even with my 2nd birth in a more friendly hospital and with more experience, it felt awkward.
With my 1st he mostly stayed in the bassinette thingie, because I felt unfamiliar with babies and unsafe with the situation. There were times that we dosed while nursing. He also did spend time in the nursery because my midwife convinced me I needed my rest and would be best- and the whole hospital stay ways horrid- so I was just an exhausted emotional mess. In the end, the best thing would have been to have gotten the he() out of there and gone home.
I remember panicking that I would drop him because I kept falling asleep with him on my chest. There were not enough pillows to keep my arms around him safely and I was afraid my arm would go down and he would roll off into the arm of the bed or worse, onto the floor etc. I actually walked crying out to the nurses station in the middle of the night (after I had gotten him to sleep) and made them take him back to the nursery. It makes me sick now to think of the time he spent in the nursery-- although they were very responsive about bringing him to me (thankfully). I only wish they had recognizes how distraught I was and helped me feel better.
Now, I had not planned on cosleeping and had just started learning more about it-- so I knew enough to know it would be wonderful, but also enough to know that safe cosleeping required some thought/planning and my assessment of the hospital bed safety was that it was just really not very safe.

At the 2nd hospital w/ dd they were extremely concened when parents were not rooming in and strongly encouraged it. I also witnessed their concern because I was chatting to one and they got all concerned when a mom was walking with dh and baby down to the nursery, they were so releived and happy that it was so dh could help her take her first shower and not because they wanted them to take the baby. It was actually really neat to talk to them about the changes they have made and how they are happy to have an 'empty' nursery, because that means the babies are with mom.

With my dd, I was more confident and wasn't worried about my body-- but the hospital bed was still a challenge. I almost considered plopping the matress on the floor, but there was not enough room to do that and I'm sure that would have given the nurses somethign to talk about. I think I tried to put her in the bassinette and dangle my arm in there, but I've never done really well at actually sleeping unless little one is NEXT to me, so I gave up on that and just had her next to me and slept very little.

If you are not an experienced cosleeper, I would prepare by familiarizing yourself with some general safety information and then think about how that might apply to a hospital bed. I do think I asked for an extra pillow (to help me position my body)and had bought one of my pillows that I always travel with that makes me feel more comfortable when there is an 'edge' involved. And rolled up towels around the arm rest of the bed.

In hotel rooms or visiting family, I usually move a matress onto the floor, roll up towels for the edges, or bring my pillows, all with serve to make me feel the bed is safer... Although with an infant, they rarely (prob only if napping and I left the bed) left the space between my side and my arm around them, making much of my preparation unnecessary (-;

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#96 of 104 Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceomalley View Post
I bedshared without any problems (because the midwives were very vocal in their support of it). In fact, I fell asleep while one of them was giving me a break (baby had been screaming constantly for 3 days) and when I woke up he was in bed asleep with me. They'd tiptoed in and tucked him in next to me.
Awwww!!!!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#97 of 104 Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM

Both times it was no problem and both times I was the only one in the room (of 3 others) breastfeeding/co-sleeping. The nurses were really happy that I was doing so.
#98 of 104 Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 PM

8 babies in 8 different hospitals around the country. Last baby was in the NICU but his final day in the hospital he stayed with me in a room and co-slept with knowledge and blessing of the neonatalogist. I didn't try with #1 and #2 as I wasn't at that point in my mothering.

Out of #3-#7 I've had one nurse, in one facility give me a hard time. More than once it has actually been encouraged, I've even had staff (usually LC's) do what they could to help make it easier for me-better pillows, folded sheets to plug the holes in the rails etc...

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#99 of 104 Old 12-14-2009, 12:59 AM

I got grief about it at the hospital that encouraged skin to skin and did couplet care (baby never had to leave my room for anything), but no one batted an eye about it at the hospital that had a mandatory 2 hour nursery screening after birth and told me that putting the baby under lights was better than skin to skin for bringing the babies temperature up. I picked her up and nursed her under the light until they would let me take her back to my room.
#100 of 104 Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 AM

I chose "other."

With DD, I hadn't really considered co-sleeping yet. She stayed in her bassinet next to my bed all night.

With DS, I was in no shape to co-sleep. The first night I was just out of surgery, then the next several nights I was on narcotic pain killers, so I didn't figure it was very wise. After one too many nights without sleep, DH slept with him, though (I think that was our last two nights in the hospital). We didn't get any grief about that.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#101 of 104 Old 12-14-2009, 03:50 PM

From the start DS only slept well on my chest (he's 8 months and STILL sleeps best when he's next to mama) and so that's what we did. The staff never said a word. The day nurse even checked his temp with him on top of me (armpit check)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#102 of 104 Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM

I had no prob bedsharing with DD in the hospital

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#103 of 104 Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 PM

I voted "without any trouble from staff" since no one said anything. I did get couple of dirty looks which I ignored. I was a homebirth transfer though, so I think the nurses knew I wasn't going to do things the "normal" way.
#104 of 104 Old 12-14-2009, 08:11 PM

I kept baby with me. The nurse came in and explained that "hospital policy us to recomend baby stays in the bassinet. but..." and then they left us alone about it. I had a drug free/ short labor though. If I were recovering from a long, terrible or heavily medicated experience, I might have chosen differently.

I think attitudes vary hugely- depends a lot on where in the country you are, and the individual hospital. I was lucky enough to give birth in a new hospital and very baby friendly town.

Onward we ramble, and westward we ride!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page