pushing survey - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 02-22-2004, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#1—induced labor due to 8 days past due date & suspected large baby, used epidural
#2—totally natural, midwife-delivered in birth center, whole labor was 4-1/2 hours

How long did you push?
#1—3 hours, ended in vacuum extraction
#2—about 20 minutes

How did you know when to start pushing?
#1—never had the urge, the nurses told me when to push, baby never came down
#2—just sort of came over me in the car on the way to the birth center. Had to actively NOT push or baby would have been born in the car.

Why did you start pushing when you did?
see above

Was the pushing voluntary or involuntary? (If both, please elaborate)
#1—pushed when someone told me to
#2—totally involuntary. Just pushed when I felt like it, no one told me when to push or not push

Did the urge to push, the pushing sensations, and your response to them change over time? If so, how?
no with either birth—never had the urge with #1, had the urge to push about 1 hour-30 minutes before the birth & it seemed to stay the same level, I think.

Was your approach to the pushing phase influenced by preconceptions about how and when it should be done, and if so, how?
#1—totally. I was told when and how to push—hold breath, count to 10, etc.—Ugh. It was awful & didn’t work.
#2—thought it would be like the first time, but it wasn’t at all—it went GREAT!

What is your "philosophy" of pushing?
Your body knows what to do—let it happen naturally. People were having babies long before anyone thought to count to ten during contractions. My goodness.

What position were you in when you were pushing/giving birth? Was this position instinctively chosen or did you make a choice that was influenced by preconceptions about what position would be best?
#1—flat on back, so uncomfortable. Did this bc. That’s what they did at the hospital. I did have a MW attending, and she tried to get me to change positions, but I was past help.
#2—I moved around a lot, but finally sort of sat up w/ my back against the wall. Baby was born very soon after.

Was your 2nd stage managed/measured/guided in any way (by you or others) or would you characterize it as instinctive? Did you feel hindered/inhibited in any way? Were there complications or variations of normal that are sometimes regarded as complications?
In general, labor #1 was totally managed—induced, pitocin, catheter, monitors on me and baby, stuck in bed, felt awful—took 27 hours til he was born. I hated it and felt terrible for years. #2 was as perfect a birth as they get—short of a homebirth. I was in control of the whole thing & let my body take over. The midwives were almost bystanders & let me do my thing. Loved it!!!
#32 of 51 Old 02-25-2004, 06:11 AM

How long did you push?
[COLOR=green]my body pushed for 1/2 hr and was told to wait for Dr. then I pushed for another 1/2 hour after dr. arrived. [COLOR=indigo]maybe 5 mins.

[COLOR=indigo]I was on the toilet and all of a sudden my body folded in half and i thought i can't push now, I just started labor! Then another one and it was so strong I remembered my MW telling me that my body will tell me what to do. So I went with it and my water broke with great force. At that point I checked myself and she was crowning. So I was reasurred it was ok to push now.

Was the pushing voluntary or involuntary? (if both please elaborate)
[COLOR=green]I wanted to when my body first started but the nurse told me to fight it. Then when they told me I could I went with it, then the Dr. was telling me to push.
[COLOR=indigo]I didn't really push, I was in the passenger side and my body and baby were doning the driving I just happened to be there.

Was your approach to the pushing phase influenced by preconceptions about how and when it should be done, and if so how?
[COLOR=green]I had no idea what to expect, but I thought it took longer than it should have.
[COLOR=indigo]I thought I would be pushing and bearing down again but my body just took over and I relaxed and went with the flow.

What is your "Philosophy"of pushing?
[COLOR=royalblue]I think that a womens body is a incredibly complex,beautiful thing.And sometimes people and their thinking get in the way of what is supposed to be the most incredible most natural experience they could ever endure. I think that a woman could be unconsious and her body could still birth the baby without any outside interfearance. So i guess I am saying it is up to the body but somewhat regulated by the mind.

What positions were you in when you were pushing /giving birth? Was the position instinctively chosen or did you make a choice that was influenced by preconceptions about what position would be best?[COLOR=green]In a hospital bed on my side then on my back legs held by others.
[COLOR=indigo]First two on toilet(very relaxing for surges) then on the bed on my side for the third. With the third the head came out so I knelt down on one knee other leg squated holding on to the bed for the last push and out she came into my arms.

Was your second stage managed/measured/guided in any way(by you or others) or would you characterize it as instinctive? Did you feel hindered/inhibited in any way? Were there complications or variations of normal that are sometimes regarded as complications?
[COLOR=green]I think that if I would have went with my body when it first started pushing it wouldn't have taken so long to birth her and she wouldn't have come out purple and have to be put on oxygen her first moments of life outside the whomb. Thats why i chose a MW with the second.
[COLOR=indigo]My midwife and her assistants didn't get there till she was about 45mins old. I was totally confident in my health, my babys health and my body. The only complication I would say was telling my babysitter to quit yelling so I could relax. She kept saying she was going to call an ambulance because we were all alone besides the kids and she didn't know what to do. Telling her to shut up was the only time I really felt in my body. The rest of the time was like a dream state. Like I was no longer in controll. Although I wouldn't change a thing.(besides the babysitter) I found it so empowering to birth my baby by myself and deliver her by myself. The energy in the room was so much more relaxed and joyfull.I hope to do it again but maybe with a midwife at least in the house this time just in case.
#33 of 51 Old 02-25-2004, 01:01 PM

How long did you push?
dd1 - 15 minutes, dd2 6 minutes

my body was going to push on it's own if i didn't

very strong urge

Was the pushing voluntary or involuntary? (If both, please elaborate) involuntary at first, then i pushed with it

Did the urge to push, the pushing sensations, and your response to them change over time? If so, how?
yes as above, the first pushing contractions are overwhelming, then manageable

Was your approach to the pushing phase influenced by preconceptions about how and when it should be done, and if so, how?
not really, all i knew was that purple pushing was bad

push when you feel your body is ready

What position were you in when you were pushing/giving birth? Was this position instinctively chosen or did you make a choice that was influenced by preconceptions about what position would be best?
dd1- semi-sit/squat, dd2 side lying, both instinctive

Was your 2nd stage managed/measured/guided in any way (by you or others) or would you characterize it as instinctive? Did you feel hindered/inhibited in any way? Were there complications or variations of normal that are sometimes regarded as complications?
dd1 - completely instinctive, uninhibited, no complications, dd2 - i asked for guidance for her crowning, uninhibited, no comlications

Jen
#34 of 51 Old 02-25-2004, 04:46 PM

This is a very interesting thread! Just had my 2nd baby 2 weeks ago, so it was interesting to compare the two births.

How long did you push?
1 - 3xs, maybe 4-5 minutes
2 - about 20 minutes

1 - Didn't know - I had an epidural. Dr left me alone for so long that dd almost birthed herself! When he finally came to check me, her head was crowning, but I felt nothing.
2 - I didn't *know*, but my body started to push on it's own

1 - The dr told me to
2 - I couldn't stop my body from pushing. I tried to stop it, because I had been checked less than 5 minutes before and was only 4 cm dilated

1 - Voluntary
2 - Completely involuntary

1 - no pushing sensations
2 - my response changed - after I realized that I had no choice but to push, I stopped trying to fight it and just went with it

1 - no
2 - yes. Since I had just been checked and was told by my midwife that I was only 4 cm, I tried not to push. I was so afraid that I would swell up and/or tear pushing against a closed cervix.

Your body knows exactly what to do. Trust it, not what other people tell you.

1 - Flat on my back with my legs supported, since I could not feel them. Epidural made that the only viable option.
2 - I was in the birthing tub. This was what I had wanted.

1 - Not managed. I slept through it with the epidural. Complications - none, but I did tear a bit and required a few stitches
2 - Instinctive. My body did what it needed to do. The midwife suggested I might be more comfortable in the tub, so I got in. I had planned on birthing in the wter anyway, but was waiting until I got closer to fully dilated to get in. Thankfully I got in when she suggested, or I could not have had the water birth
Complications - After birthing the head, my contractions stopped for 3-4 minutes, so ds was stuck. He had the cord around his neck. They picked back up and I pushed him the rest of the way out with no problems. Despite what I was thinking, I didn't even tear enough to require attention.

Bonnie
Mama to McKenna Elizabeth 8.25.00 & Holden Phillip 2.10.04
#35 of 51 Old 02-25-2004, 05:00 PM

great questions, its great to read about all the different experiences. pushing was nothing like i imagined...

How long did you push?
well, we had a very rapid labor (3 hrs from first ctx to delivery) and i involuntarily started pushing little pushes on my own but held back until the midwives got to our house (10 min before birth! ) So I pushed hard for about 10 min, with little pushes for about 40 min, making 2nd stage about 50 min

there was nothing for me to know or not know, the pressure was out of control and there was nothing i could do but push to tolerate the pressure!!!

i had too because i couldn't stand the pressure.

involuntary because my body just did it without any thought on my part. but voluntary in that i deliberately waited to push hard until the midwives arrived. dh was shocked enough at the speed in which things occured, i really didn't want him to catch our first all by himself!

the urge got greater and greater as her head got lower. once i was really close to delivery, i don't think i wanted to wait until the next contraction to push because i wanted to keep pushing.

well, this is tricky because i work on l & d, with lots of women with epidurals, so i was used to really directing women on how to push. it also seemed like alot of first time nonmedicated moms really needed help coordinating themselves to push and took them awhile to really "get it". i didn't know where i would fall along the spectrum. i didn't know if it was something i could prepare for in advance or just figure it out when the time came. for me, i just listened to my body and didn't think too much. i think i would have killed anyone if they had tried to tell me what to do.

i definitely think you should push when you feel the urge, rest through contractions if you need to and listen to your body. i don't believe in time limits or directed pushing (at least not in unmedicated women)

this is interesting. the only positions i wanted to be in were side lying or hands and knees. before being in labor and actually experiencing pressure, etc, side lying always seems like a confusing position to me. i didn't understand how it could be comfortable or effective. the only position i wanted to be in was a squat. when my midwife got there, she directed me to squat numerous times (which I resisted), telling me if i squated, the baby would be born. when i finally did squat, she was born on the next push..but in a real "blow out" manner and i had a bad tear. i do think if i had continued pushing in the positions i liked, maybe i would not have torn so badly. on the other hand, i really wanted her born and squating did the trick!

it was all instinctive with the exception of my cnm having me switch to a squat.
#36 of 51 Old 02-25-2004, 05:18 PM

What amazing variety.
DD was my first and a homebirth and I really had no idea what to expect. It would have been good to have read a list of different responses like this. I was surprised by the intensity of the push feeling--it was irresistable. I actually ended up holding back instinctually because it was so intense. I was on hands and knees in the birth pool and when she crowned, I flipped over to a semi-reclining position and actually tried to hold back. She would have been out in 2 contractions after about 10 min of pushing, but I held off and took about 5-6 contractions. And the benefit was no tears. I'm really glad I was able to listen to my body even though in reality, my responses were based on the fact that I had no idea what was going on!!

side-note; After my birth I was talking with a GP who asked me about my homebirth and if I waited until the urge to push. I said yes, it had never occured to me to push any sooner. Then he said the funniest thing. He said HE'd been considering ALLOWING women to wait until they felt the urge. He said there are some possible benefits. I didn't react at the time, but now it just seems hilarious. What a point of view.

Pushing: 20min
The pushing began on it's own, beyond my control
The pushing sensations stayed pretty constant, but became a bit more intense over time.
Preconceptions: I had no idea that the pushing contractions were so involuntary. I really never considered it. It actually frightened me at first.
My philosophy of pushing is that it should be left to mom's initiative and intuition. Unless it really doesn't start on it's own. But it seems that if done naturally, it will proceed as it should, either quickly or more slowly.
I was on all fours and then in a semi-reclining position.
My labor was unmanaged and unassisted.
Violet
#37 of 51 Old 02-25-2004, 11:12 PM

How long did you push? About an hour.

How did you know when to start pushing? Internal exam showed almost 10 with small anterior lip and midwife said I could push if I wanted to.

Why did you start pushing when you did? Because I wanted the baby out asap!

Was the pushing voluntary or involuntary? (If both, please elaborate) Totally voluntary. I never got the urge to push, nor did I get any relief from pushing.

Did the urge to push, the pushing sensations, and your response to them change over time? If so, how? See above. FWIW, one thing I did notice during second stage was that my contrax became much more bearable and spaced out so that I actually took a little rest (didn't push for a few minutes) because I welcomed the break from the contrax.

Was your approach to the pushing phase influenced by preconceptions about how and when it should be done, and if so, how? I guess so, in that I pushed when MW told me I could push. Perhaps if I had waited a bit, I would have had the urge to push, but who knows.

What is your "philosophy" of pushing? Uhhhh, don't really have one, I guess.

What position were you in when you were pushing/giving birth? Was this position instinctively chosen or did you make a choice that was influenced by preconceptions about what position would be best? I was in the semi-reclined position, supported by my husband. I tried squatting, but didn't like it at all. I was somewhat limited because I had thick meconium stained fluid and MW had me on EFM (with my consent, of course).

Was your 2nd stage managed/measured/guided in any way (by you or others) or would you characterize it as instinctive? Did you feel hindered/inhibited in any way? Were there complications or variations of normal that are sometimes regarded as complications? I guess it was somewhat guided by my MW, since I had no pushing urge. I didn't feel hindered or inhibited. Pushing was much more difficult than I expected (since I did not have that "relief" everyone talks about). No complications related to second stage.
#38 of 51 Old 02-26-2004, 04:51 AM

This is very interesting, and excuse my naivete, but I am making some connections...it seems many who had epidurals had very short pushing times -- I would be led to believe that is because there is not a strong feeling to push, duh. But in the cases where many of us push for a long time, perhaps the reason the pushing took so long was because our bodies really weren't ready yet. I almost feel embarrassed to say that, like everyone's going to say, "Yeah, didn't you know that?" I just watched my birth videos today, and it struck me that not only did I push for an inordinate amount of time, but I was forcibly pushing. Let me answer the questions.

How long did you push?
1. 3 hours, then pulled out via vacuum
2. 90 minutes

1. Doctor told me
2. Midwife suggested it

1. Doctor told me
2. Midwife asked if, after being at 9.5 for over an hour, I wanted to try to push. I said, "Please, YES!" But now I wonder if that was because I was *tired* of managing labor!

1. Totally involuntary
2. Totally involuntary

1. After a few pushes I realized I was having the urge to push.
2. I *never* felt like pushing. I would push 4 times during each contraction, and the first push each time was just remembering *how* to push. Pushing never felt good, as it had with my first baby, it always hurt, which really threw me off. With my first once I started pushing I felt great. His head never put the proper pressure on my cervix, so I don't know how long it would have taken to get the urge to push (posterior and ascynclitic).

1. I did not know anything and I just followed doctor's orders
2. I did not know I could try to push before reaching 10

I am still trying to figure that out, but I am thinking a woman should wait until her body is screaming out for her to push.

1. On my back -- typical hospital fashion
2. Side-lying, modified squat -- only position I could tolerate!

1. Total induction, 4 days past edd -- nothing instinctual about it. Felt very inhibited, kept gown on and socks. Sustained a 4th degree tear, and baby was vacuum extracted out. Had IV the whole time. Baby was 9 pounds, 8 ounces, 37 centimeter head.
2. Somewhere between managed and instinctual. Felt the need to be totally nude, could not stand to have anything on, including fetal monitor. Was able to try different positions. After pushing for an hour, midwife paged doctor on call and gave me an IV. Luckily doc was slow and I did push my guy out. He was posterior and ascynclitic, which we discovered right as he was emerging. Small episiotomy to release pressure from old scar. Baby was 9 pounds, 9 ounces, 37 centimeter head.

Please add any other relevant comments. Also feel free to email me your answers if you'd rather.
I wonder if my pushing lengths would have been shorter had I waited until my body told me to push. On the other hand that would have been managing my labor for that much longer and I really don't know if I would have been able to do that -- I was so out of my head, praying anyway. Pushing gave me something different to do and focus on, instead of trying to manage labor on my own in my head. I will be excited to try some of these ideas out during my next labor, and I hope for a homebirth.
#39 of 51 Old 02-27-2004, 07:05 AM

How long did you push?
1. 90 minutes, vacuum extraction & episiotomy
2. 45 minutes, small tear

1. Doc informed me I was dialated to 10 and needed to.
2. I felt the urge to push at 8 cms.

1. Cause everyone was yelling at me to, and I didn't know what else to do
2. I couldn't help it

Was the pushing voluntary or involuntary?
1. voluntary and very difficult
2. involuntary and still the hardest part of labor for me

1. no
2. urge never changed. Got cramps in my legs that hurt the most. I got encouraged once baby was moving down and once he was on his way out there was nothing else on Earth I could do. LOL

1. yes, I had an epidural and was limited by my mobility and had to do what the doctor was telling me to do. Ugh.
2. no, I had no idea what unmed birth pushing would be like. Less painful than I thought.

Get the baby out! Pushing has been the worst part of labor both times.

What position were you in when you were pushing/giving birth?

1. on my back
2. semireclining (by my choice - tried several positions for comfort)

1. I got an episiotomy because "the baby had to come out now" but I don't think he was ever in distress. Also a vacuum extraction because I couldn't feel enough to push and was totally unprepared for labor.
2. Touch of shoulder dystocia but #2 was kind of a larger sized baby. I didn't feel managed or otherwise interfered with during his birth.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#40 of 51 Old 02-28-2004, 04:35 AM

What a great thread. I credit my 3rd degree tear to pushing very hard before I was ready. The medical staff was saying "Push harder! The head is right there!" I just didn't feel up to it. But finally I just went for it. My attitude was like "You want a push? I'll show you a push!" And out came Anthony.

How long did you push?
40 minutes

I never really felt an urge. :

I was "complete" (hospital birth). Nurses, OB, and DH were rooting me on.

Voluntary, but not because I wanted to. I just didn't feel like pushing! I think I was still in need of a rest between 1st & 2nd stages. I should have listened to my body. I regret not doing that.

I don't recall feeling the need to push. I just pushed because DH & the medical staff could see the head and were really encouraging me to push harder.

I truly wanted to push when I was ready. I was very fatigued and wanted to rest. I did not go with my gut instinct.

Push when you feel the "need" to push. Take your time.

I wanted to squat but the OB and nurses wouldn't let me (grrrrr). So I was in a modified squat--sitting up with legs pulled back. Not ideal for me personally.

Fortunately, no complications. I do feel that my 2nd stage was a bit OVERguided. As first timers, DH & I did cave into the hospital staff a bit. We will not next time.
#41 of 51 Old 02-28-2004, 04:55 AM

Quote:
I credit my 3rd degree tear to pushing very hard before I was ready.
YES! i am quite sure that how badly i tore was directly related to how (and how much) they had me push.
#42 of 51 Old 02-29-2004, 07:26 PM

Very interesting thread!

I'm answering these based on my last birth, a waterbirth at home...

How long did you push?

3-5 minutes

I can't really say, one second I was leaning over the side of the tub biting a wet towel and the next I was grunting. My midwife asked me if I was pushing and I said no! But even that came out all grunty and strained, like I always hear moms at births when they're pushing.

It wasn't my decision, my body did it without my brain being involved. She was moving down fast and furious and my body knew what to do.

At first it was involuntary. I was heavily in laborland, my transition rocked my world and I was not in my conscious brain at the time. I heard myself pushing and I knew I was doing it because I had to but I was scared. When the ring of fire started somewhere in my brain I realized the only way out was through... so I pushed.

Yes, like I said above my body was pushing for me at first and at that point it was my back that was bearing the brunt of the pain. Pain like that really takes you out of your head, fight or flight adrenaline and what not. When it started to burn I reached down and was amazed to feel her head at 1/3 crown. At that point the pain I was concentrating on was perineal and deep vaginal pain. I just wanted her out, I wasn't really thinking of her as a baby, more her as something I needed to get out of me as quickly as possible. Luckily, when I started voluntary grunty pushing to crown her a lot of my midwifery training went through my head. I put my hand on her head to slow her crown and I tried to edge her out slowly. It really hurt but once her head was out it was the greatest relief in the world.

It did, but not in the way of mainstream ideas. I have been studying midwifery for 2 years now and so I doubt preconceptions did not play a role. I knew what I didn't want, or so I thought. Based on my experiences at other births I thought I wanted to push her out without anyone touching my perineum, it turned out that was not so and I ended up really needing perineal support for my own comfort. I won't say it affected how I did things but it did affect me in that when I felt pressure I knew she was moving down, when I started to think I couldn't do it anymore I knew it was almost over.

As an apprentice midwife my philosophy is mother-led pushing unless there is an urgent reason for a differently conducted phase. Eash mother births differently and every woman has different needs. Yes, our bodies know how to push but sometimes women want or need a little guidance.

My philosophy as a birther is get them out and get it overwith. Pushing was very painful and scary for me.

I started out leaning over the side of the birth pool. When I reached down and felt her head I knew I did not want to give birth on all fours (preconceptions again, I suppose) so I flopped back into semi-reclining. I ended up kind of almost holding myself up with my legs but I do remember a lucid thought that I should spread them wider to open my pelvis up more and allow some stretch.

My 2nd stage was totally instinctual. My midwife followed my lead completely, she was in the truest sense of the word a midwife at my birth. She was with me but the birth was mine. I was not hindered or inhibited at all. I don't think I could have felt inhibited at that point. My transition and pushing stage melded together in a furious 15 minutes that could not have been stopped by anything. There were no complications or variations that would have been considered a complication, it was textbook. Stella came out peacefully and pink, her transition was flawless, no suctioning, TTN, or any other slow starting issues.

All in all my pushing was the most painful part as I knew all along my pregnacy that it would be. Luckily it was fast. I didn't tear or even skid, my perineum felt completely recovered in 3 days.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#43 of 51 Old 02-29-2004, 08:33 PM

I have so much I should be doing now but my birth with dd was my first time to try it naturally, and it was the pushing part that, um, impressed me the most.

How long did you push?
I got the the freestanding birthcenter at 8:30am and was 10cm. I didn't feel like pushing right away, but gave birth at 9:47am--I would guess for about an hour? Probably a little less.

My body made it's way up on my hands and knees and pushed. It was the oddest experience--I didn't think *at all*, my body was totally seperate and did it all for me.

My body just did it (see above)
Very much voluntary. My mw had checked me, and walked away. I asked how long until i was at 10, and she said, "oh, you are now. whenever you're ready". I lay there for a little bit, moaning, and then did it when my body told me to.

At one point I felt endorphins, so I couldn't feel anything at all. Awesome. But other than that, it was extremely intense and I made a lot of very loud, deep, animal-like noises (that I still refuse to be embarrassed about! lol)--someone out of the room thought my husband was making noises with me! Not sure if any of that answered your ?

No. No, I take that back. I read a lot of Ina May, so I did a lot to relax myself, and made raspberries with my lips, which helped. Through the reading, I learned to relax as much as possible (allthough at the time I wouldn't have used the word relax) and to not rush myself. And to use noise as a tool, which I did.

Listen to your body. No one else. Dont listen to what anyone says about how you should push, where you should push. It's like going to the bathroom--you don't need anyone telling you when, where, or how, and privacy is best--whatever that means to you.

Hands and knees--extremely instintive. I had always thought that this has to be the worst way to birth, but it was what my body needed. And my midwife reminded me to put my hand on the babies head when she crowned (that really helped) and I helped catch her and brought her up to me through my legs.

Was your 2nd stage managed/measured/guided in any way (by you or others) or would you characterize it as instinctive?
Extremely instintive. Sat on the birthing ball, totally relaxed my body, and made noise. No fear at all.

Did you feel hindered/inhibited in any way?
Not that I remember
Were there complications or variations of normal that are sometimes regarded as complications?
No

Great memories!
#44 of 51 Old 02-29-2004, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How long did you push ? 15 min/12 min/ 3 min

A direct order from God Himself couldn't have stoipped me. Mostly I felt like I really had to poop :LOL

Why did you start pushing when you did? yes, They wanted me to wait with my first but I don't remember why or if I did.

Was the pushing voluntary or involuntary? (If both, please elaborate) involentary

After the first couple of pushes I couldn't feel the contractions anymore and would just push. I figured they must be there and pushing would only get the baby out faster.

Was your approach to the pushing phase influenced by preconceptions about how and when it should be done, and if so, how? No.

You can stop it, you can't will the pushing part to come you just have to go with it.

For my first I was on my side in a bed that was tilted almost completrely up. I am not sure how I didn't crash to the ground. #2 and #3 were hands and knees, it was the position I was in when I started pushing and I was in too much pain to move. byt #3 I was totally sold on that position.

Every thing was nirmal and I would say it was instinctive. I was way loopy with my first birth because of complications resulting in me not having slept for the 5 days prior to it but I don't remember being told much of anything. Everything was totally istinc with #2&3

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#45 of 51 Old 03-01-2004, 12:54 AM

How long did you push?
38 minutes my first birth (although I fought pushing for about an hour before that because the nurse told me I had hours to go so I didn't realize I was complete! )and 34 minutes my second birth

My first birth, the nurse finally checked me after I grunted and said I had to go to the bathroom for an HOUR. My second birth I didn't even push all that much. I was kneeling in the water and he was roaring out with or without my assistance!

My first birth I pushed because it felt good (once I knew it was okay : ). My second birth I didn't really have to push although I did push to get his head and shoulders out.

My first birth it was both, but I worked against my body involuntarily pushing for quite awhile because I was told I had hours of labor left. My second birth is was almost completely involuntary. It was like my body remembered what to do and just did it.

Not really. Pushing for me is a roaring train until the baby emerges. LOL

I do think preconceptions influenced my pushing stage. What was worse is the internal monitor "indicated" that my dd's heartrate went down when I squatted, so I was made to push in the lithomy position.

Wait until your body starts pushing. Always exceptions to the rule though.

First birth- lithomy position chosen by my OB (how convenient! she was 8mo preggo herself)
Second birth- kneeling in the birthing pool at home

A little of both. I was much less inhibited during my second birth. No complications, but I did get a vaginal check. Next time I would rather just go with instinct.
#46 of 51 Old 03-02-2004, 03:58 PM

How long did you push?
Voluntarily, a couple of minutes.
Involuntarily, an hour?

Avery had moving down pretty much on her own for a while and I thought she was close. The nurse checked me and she was "right there."

Because she was "right there"

Involunary at first. After every contraction, I could feel her move and I'd loudly groan. DH said I sounded like some kind of animal

When she was "right there" I pushed twice to get her head out and once more to birth her body.

I just let things go as naturally as I could. Once the involuntary pushing started, the contractions didn't seem so bad so I just went with the flow.

My preconceived idea was to let the birth happen as naturally as possible. I chose a birth center for this reason and didn't want an epidural. It was hard but I'd do it again in a second.

I don't know if I have a philosophy per se. Again, I just went with the flow and it worked VERY well for me.

I was on my side. My labor progressed pretty quickly (I went from 3 cm to holding my babe in two hours) and it was quite painful (duh). I tried many positions, I tried the shower, birthing ball, etc and laying on my side was the only position I could get comfortable in. I stayed that way for the final hour or so of the labor.

Totally, 100% instinctive. The nurses checked me when I got there and again when I said, "um I think she's coming" DH and I were left alone for the most part. It was a really great birth experience!
#47 of 51 Old 03-02-2004, 08:07 PM

How long did you push?

With DS #1, I pushed for a total of 35 minutes. Though only 15 minutes of that was "effective" pushing. It took 20 minutes for my mind to catch up with my body. Wtih DD #2, I barely pushed. It was less than 2 minutes from when the urge hit me to when she was born.

With DS#1, my water broke and I instantly had the urge to push. With DD #2, I just got that overwhelming urge and gave one involuntary push (my body pushed on its own) and she was already crowning.

I couldn't fight the urge!!!

The urge and the first few pushes were involuntary. I only pushed when I felt I needed to and worked with the contractions.

With my son, I was in complete control when I was pushing. The first 20 minutes, I slept in between contractions and then I totally came around, my mind caught up to what my body was doing. I got my second wind and was ready to birth my son. I watched him being born in the mirror and it was amazing to see. With my daughter, her birth was EXPLOSIVE! I had the urge, my body pushed once for me, and she was already out up to her ears. The nurse checked me and proceeded to hold my daughters head and my legs closed while she called for my doc and the NICU team STAT. My water was heavily stained with meconium so they needed to be there as a precaution. I just remember trying hard not to push and hearing people running down the hall to my room. I felt so out of control.

We had taken Bradley classes and I knew to trust and listen to my body.

Push only when you have the urge and only push toa comfortable limit. Your body will guide you.

With my son, I pushed the majority of the time on my side. It was the position I chose because it was most comfortable. I rotated onto my back, semi reclined when I was ready to deliver on the advice of the nurses. I didn't protest rolling over but I did refuse the stirrups. With my daughter, she was born while I was on my side, the position I labored in most of the time, trying to encourage her to turn right. She was coming down with her head crooked. The bed was never broken down, the "gunk catcher" was never set up, and my doc wasn't even gloved. It all happened so fast.

With my first, the nurses and doc were preoccupied with their son's soccer games to even be bothered by my pushing. I was in my own little world, listening to my body. I remember pushing once and feeeling him right there, and my husband had to remind them that I was pushing. They were like "oh yeah, right! He was born 2 pushes later. With my daughter, it was so hard to fight my body and not push. The nurse was holding my legs closed. But I knew my doc was concerned about the meconium, and he wanted to make sure she was off to the right start when she was born. She was suctioned at the perineum. All in all, my son's delivery, although it was longer, was much more enjoyable. I watched him come into the world, and he was immediately put to my breast. My daughters birth was just too quick with the little scare of meconium. I didn't get to hold her until she was 10 minutes old, they had already put the eye gunk in her eyes, so she never really got to look at me right away, my husband didn't get to cut the cord, we have no pictures of her birth. The process was much less satisfying from that perspective. But when all is said and done, I have two beautiful children, that are the joys of my life.

Susan
#48 of 51 Old 03-21-2004, 11:25 PM

I had an unmedicated hospital birth.

How long did you push?
My water broke first (2:45pm) , my first contraction was about an hour later, I was 6-7cm when we got to the hospital (11pm), and it gets a little fuzzy after that but I think it took me two more hours to fully dilate, and an hour and a half of pushing. It was almost exactly twelve hours from start to finish.

The nurse checked me when I started getting faint urges to push - that's when we knew I was at 10cm. They were fairly faint, though.

Once we knew I was dilated, I waited through a few contractions until I got two good "urge-to-push" cx.

It was very much voluntary at the beginning of 2nd stage. It changed during the course of the birth (see next answer).

While I was waiting for my cervix to get its act together, I was on my side. Once I got the urge to push, I rolled over on my back, and the urge stopped. As in, *poof* take-a-nap-type gone. That was frustrating! I knew it was crunch time, and my body took itself a li'l break anyway. I felt pretty stupid when I started pushing, because it was just my brain doing the directing. As I got further into the stage, a neat thing happened - as I was approaching the end of my push, my body would take over and I could just ride the wave. I lost any sense of pain during 2nd stage - it actually felt good to me, because there was a definite sense of my baby moving downwards.

Since I'd never done it before, I wanted to go into it with an open mind. The fact that I got grief from my OB over it and all the horror stories people felt that they needed to tell me about labor pain just made me want an unmedicated birth more.

I read the Bradley book, and a lot of it made sense. I'm not the type to do the whole process that way, but I most certainly made use of the ideas about staying out of your own body's way. I was *very* bad about practicing the relaxation stuff beforehand.
Luckily for me, I'm apparently good at self-hypnosis, 'cause I was falling asleep in between contractions all the way through, including during second stage.

I thought I'd want to be able to walk around/ get on hands and knees/ squat, but once I got to the actual labor, I was perfectly fine with lying on my side like a beached whale with a fetal monitor on. I really didn't feel like doing a whole lot of position changes.

The doctor didn't come into the room until I was ready to deliver, which was fine with me...it was just us girls.
I was really lucky to have a nurse that wanted to try perineal massage - I was her first experience with it. Another nurse who'd come from a hospital that did it routinely came in and gave her the basic idea, and she honed her technique on me. It sure does make a difference! By the time I delivered, I believe I could have gotten a canteloupe past my perineum, it was that loose. Naturally I tore on the other end : I didn't realize you *could* tear your labia minora! Not the least bit of vaginal trauma, but a near miss on continuing to enjoy my love life. Getting sewn up was worse than giving birth! Next time I'll be having them standing by with a vat of K-Y.
I didn't feel inhibited at all - I was glad when they brought the big mirror in so I could see the entertainment too. Once the pushing urge really started, it was definitely an instinctual process for me.
#49 of 51 Old 03-22-2004, 01:17 AM

I have 3 kids, so 3 answers for each one.

How long did you push? 3 pushes/ 2 pushes/ 3 pushes.

How did you know when to start pushing? Instinctual, just knew I had to! / knew I was complete and they told me to "try"/ realized I was pushing involuntarily, didn't think about it.

Why did you start pushing when you did? See above.

Was the pushing voluntary or involuntary? (If both, please elaborate) Second child I had an apidoural and didn't feel the urge so I had to think about it.

Did the urge to push, the pushing sensations, and your response to them change over time? If so, how? Too fast to be applicable.

What is your "philosophy" of pushing? It's always been super fast for me, but I liked being able to push however I was instead of being moved into the "pushing position", on my back!.

What position were you in when you were pushing/giving birth? Was this position instinctively chosen or did you make a choice that was influenced by preconceptions about what position would be best? First 2 were on my back with my legs held by others (hospital)... Wanted to sit up more with second but the Dr. wouldn't let me. 3rd was at home in a tub, in a half squatting half side lying position, instinct.

Was your 2nd stage managed/measured/guided in any way (by you or others) or would you characterize it as instinctive? Did you feel hindered/inhibited in any way? Were there complications or variations of normal that are sometimes regarded as complications? Too fast to be managed!

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#50 of 51 Old 03-22-2004, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had an unmedicated hosptial birth

How long did you push?
45 minutes, but the first 10-15 minutes were ineffective pushes.

When the MW told me to : I was perfectly content in the labor tub, I was literally escorted back to my room, my dilation assessed, when it was found to be 10cm, my membranes were ruptured, I was told to get on my hands and knees and push. I had to no urge to push.

Was the pushing voluntary or involuntary?
The pushing was completely voluntary until after halfway through then I did have an urge but I wouldn't say I HAD to push though.

In the beginning since it was voluntary, I really wasn't trying to push that hard, I had the "cheerleaders" aka the nurses yelling at me and counting to ten. I was considering hitting on of them because they were driving me nuts ''. Then dd was passing under my pubic bone (I think that's what it was), anyway it hurt like he**, I didn't want to push because it hurt so much, finally my MW told me it wasn't going to feel any better the longer I took, so I started really pshing. The rest was just pain, that is all I remember, my labor never really hurt that much, I didn't really have a transition, just a steady progress. I screamed alot, I would push, take a breathe, scream, and do it again!

I studied so much about the labor but I didn't focus on the pushing. I knew the mechanics of it, I am an RN, but the only birth I had every seen was flat on her back, counting to 10, I just assumed that was the way it was. I never thought about it, I was so focuesed on getting through the labor, I never considered what I would do when the baby was coming out!

Now it is whatever feels right, when I pushed with dd, it did not feel right, I think that is why pushing was so painful for me.

I ended up birthing with DH sitting behind me, I was leaning back on him holding my legs. The MW suggested this position.

I am happy with how the 1st stage went, the 2nd stage I am not. I was not prepared for it, I would say there was nothing instinctive about it at all. I had no fear during stage 1, I felt afraid during stage 2, I didn't like being told what to do, but yet I didn't know what to do. It was all very confusing to me. I think had I been left alone like I had during the rest of my labor, I would of been better able to handle it. I liked it with just dh and I. Oh well, lessons learned! Next time will be different.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#51 of 51 Old 03-23-2004, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blueviolet

Here are the questions I have been asking:

How long did you push?

**ds#1~ 10 minutes
**ds#2~ 17 minutes

**ds#1~ I just "knew"
**ds#2~ I had to be told due to epidural

**With my 1st, I just knew it was time.. w/ my 2nd, I was told to 'get pushing" and by then I was thrilled to be at the pushing stage!

*voluntary both times

[B]Did the urge to push, the pushing sensations, and your response to them change over time? If so, how?
*not really sure on that one

*not really, I just knew w/ ds#1 I needed to push. I didn't have many preconceptions.

???

*ds#1~ in a birthing tub, hanging over the tub edge a bit/ semi hands & knees position
*ds#2~ on a bed w/ knees pulled up towards chest

***not w/ my first son... but w/ ds#2 I was in a lot of extreme pain & a long hard labor which led me to beg for an epidural... he ended up weighing over 11 lbs at birth! no other interventions though, and once I began pushing he came out pretty quick... he did get stuch for a moment in the birth canal & my midwife had to reach in and manuever him out...

Please add any other relevant comments. Also feel free to email me your answers if you'd rather.

Thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page