Pitocin and Jaundice Poll - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2004, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed that everyone I've talked to that had their labor augmented with pitocin ended up with theri newborn having jaundice . So I'm just wondering if I could get a poll of how many people here had the same experience.

I'll start. My first labor ended up being augmented with pitocin after about 42 hours. I had about 6 hours of pitocin. Baby had bad jaundice. There were other factors in him getting jaundice (blood incompatibility) but I feel the pitocin made it worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could start a thread with a poll on it if you want hard numbers Like:

Had pitocin, babe had jaundice
Had pitocin, babe didn't have jaundice
Didn't have, babe had
Didn't have, babe didn't have

But anywho, yup pitocin here and jaundice here as well. I had pitocin for 16 hours before Orion was born and an additional 24 hours afterwards (WTF they were doing is beyond me, I was also on Mag Sulfate and really not able to advocate for myself).

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 02-20-2004, 12:01 PM

with my first: pitocin from the get-go---jaundice (bili was 21) and lethargy...and a NICU stay

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2004, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I had pitocin--in spades! Tons! But no jaundice.

We did have a really scary latch problem, however, and the beginnings of lethargy. For the first week we fed on a two-hour schedule--if he didn't latch on and nurse 15 minutes, I pumped, and dh finger-fed/supplemented with pumped colostrum and/or formula. I think if the hospital lactation consultant hadn't been on the ball, we would have wound up either with jaundice/dehydration or with no breastfeeding. As it was the supplementation, though traumatic for me, was brief and helped to correct the latch problem.

I wonder whether the jaundice/pitocin connection is really a long labor/intervention/bad latch connection?

(Why am I so in love with the "/" key all of a sudden? )

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:05 PM

Both of my homebirth babes were jaundiced.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

How do I post numbers, Starmama? Do I need to start another thread? I wanted to do it like that, but I'm not sure how.

Old 02-20-2004, 04:34 PM

Had pitocin/no jaundice/no problems bf'ing
Old 02-21-2004, 12:00 AM

I had 30 minutes of pitocin with dd before I pushed her out.

She was a little yellow by day 2, her bili levels were at 12 (normal), but they put her under the lights 'just to be safe', a couple times a day for five days.

She had a yellowish tinge to her for six weeks after birth, even though her bili levels stayed between 11 and 12 the whole time. I lean more towards, her kidneys/liver didn't like the vitamin k shot or the hep b shot they gave her, rather than the pitocin.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:04 AM

A dose of pit, after ds birth, jaundice.

No pit of any kind with dd, jaundice.

It's fairly common after birth, there livers have a lot to get rid of.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 02-21-2004, 12:07 AM

My first two had pitocin, all three were long labors, lots of interventions ending with c-secs, all the newborn stuff except hep b, and breastfed like champs with no jaundice. Except my daughter who was in the NICU for a birth defect and didn't bf until she was 1mo. Then she nursed like a champ.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:15 AM

We never use pitocin prior to birth (we occasionally use it for pph), but alot of our babies at our birth center (probably close to 50%) are at least a little yellow on day two. I don't think any of the 250+ born there since I started have ever had to have light therapy or be hospitalized for it.

We attribute it to the fact that we don't clamp and cut the cord until it stops pulsating. More blood, so they probably take a little while longer to break it down. If the babe is breastfeeding well, it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and about 98% or so of our babies are breastfed, which we encourage immediately upon birth.

On a personal note, both my babies were jaundiced, pretty severely (though no interventions were needed); no pitocin, cord clamped immediately, but they both were born at 36 weeks gestation, and it is more common for premies to be jaundiced.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:40 AM

I wonder if it has more to do with delayed cutting of the cord vs. cutting right away? I read an interesting article that suggests that. It's very technical but interesting. Perhaps your observation on pit vs. no pit is because the pit births occur in the hospital, where it's standard procedure to cut the cord immediately. I don't know, just a thought.

http://www.obgyn.net/pb/pb.asp?page=...-resuscitation

Quote:
Cord closure abruptly halts the placental supply of glucose to the brain (used in aerobic and anaerobic respiration); the neonatal liver (glycogen stores) must begin to maintain blood glucose levels. A major portion of the liver’s blood supply is from the hepatic portal vein that derives its blood from the mesenteric arteries. If the gut (and hence the liver) is not “copiously perfused,” hypoglycemia may result in a neonatal convulsion. Deficient perfusion of the liver may also be a factor in bilirubin excretion and “physiological” jaundice.
Quote:
During the third stage of labor, transition from placental dependency to self-sufficiency in life support is well understood by most midwives, lay and professional; the term used is “transing.” Most physicians think (and are taught) that this physiological process is pathological. For the midwife-home-delivered baby, the pulsating cord is routinely allowed to close itself regardless of the condition of the child at birth. Few if any of these neonates need NICU admission; this is a strong indication that delayed cord clamping – transing - is not a routine cause of pathology (jaundice, polycythemia, hypervolemia, hyperviscosity).
My oldest had a mild case of jaundice and my youngest didn't. I had an epidural with both of them and no pitocin with either of them. The difference was that, knowing that my oldest had jaundice, I requested that the cord cutting be delayed until it stopped pulsating.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 02-21-2004, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No pitocin, very mild jaundice that required no treatment. I wonder if it has something to do with cord clamping as well. I wonder if babies born via C-section have more jaundice. My baby had a very short cord so it was cut sooner than I would have liked.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:23 PM

I was induced with pit and my dd didn't end up with jaundice. I had an 18 hour labor.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! They have been very interesting. Perhaps the jaundice is caused by something more like early cord clamping. That would make more sense. It just seems like most of the people I've talked to that had pitocin also had jaundice....so I wanted to ask around to find out.

My second son had jaundice as well. Probably all of my children will have it because of certain factors. However, his wasn't nearly as bad. I had no intervention (homebirth) and his cord was allowed to stop pulsing. That probably made a big difference.
It just seems like sooo many babes are born with jaundice these days. I wonder why that is? Has it always been like that, and its only now that docs make a big deal out of it?
Old 02-21-2004, 07:18 PM

After 18 hour labor, I stopped having contractions (I was straving, tired and afraid of pushing.) So last 2 hours of on a low drip of Pitocin.

No jaundice. No problems BFing.

But I HATED that my baby was getting hits of Pitocin, so in my tired, couldn't hear the OB's voice, (the only voice that mattered to me/I could hear was my DH) I pushed really hard and tore (2nd degree vagina, 3rd perenium.)

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 02-22-2004, 09:15 PM

if you do a google search, you will see the medical literature which links pitocin administration in the mother to neonatal jaundice. also, in the pitocin handout, it lists jaundice in the baby as a potential side effect.

pitocin is awful

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2004, 10:02 PM

#1--had pitocin, no jaundice
#2--no pitocin (or anything else)--baby had mild jaundice :
Old 02-23-2004, 09:04 PM

We have ABO incompatibility, I had pitocin for a few hours (maybe 3?), his cord was cut immediately (they wanted to take him for deep suction b/c of meconium it was not originally in our birth "plan") and Ds was jaundiced until my milk came in.

I find this fascinating...I have been concerned that if his cord had been allowed to stay intact until it stopped pulsating that he would have been MORE jaundiced b/c of the incompatibility...is that not the case?
Old 02-23-2004, 09:15 PM

I'm too lazy to look it up the studies. So someone tell me, what form does pitocin-induced jaundice take? Does it occur immediately after the birth? Or is it indistinguishable from breastmilk jaundice? How do they know there is a pitocin-jaundice connection? Is is just increased incidence, or something else?

FWIW, I've had three homebirths (no pitocin) and all of my babies have had jaundice, starting at about three days of age I think.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Allright, so I did a google search and surprise! Pitocin can cause jaundice in newborns. According to RXlist.com and a plethera of other sites, it is clearly stated as a side effect.

"Due to use of oxytocin in the mother:
-Neonatal retinal
-Low Apgar scores at five minutes
-Neonatal jaundice "

That's from here

and

"Anything that makes it tougher for the immature liver to process the bilirubin can also lead to jaundice, including prematurity, lack of oxygen, poor feeding, thyroid deficiency, a genetic enzyme deficiency, or a liver otherwise occupied with dealing with an infection or a drug (such as oxytocin with chlorobutanol [Pitocin])." from here

blueviolet, I don't know the answers to your questions. I suppose it would depend on many factors, such as, how long the labor was, if there was any distress, interventions, and if there was a good start breastfeeding, and blood compatibility. I can tell you that my son's didn't show signs of jaundice until the next day. But I have known people whose babies were born with it.

edited to add: I found one more really good one. Scroll down to the second page and there it is ---jaundice in newborns.
http://www.kingpharm.com/uploads/pdf...Pitocin_PI.pdf
Old 02-24-2004, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Blueviolet, I believe that jaundice occuring from a drug reaction in a newborn is usually pathologic. (Occuring within 24 hours).
Old 02-24-2004, 02:10 PM

I had pictocin, but not until after my ds was born and his cord was cut (almost immediately after birth). We ended up with moderate jaundance. We had two heel punctures and a 24 hours with the billy blanket at home (I thought the billy blanket was kind of a PITA, but it didn't seem to bother the little guy he both ate and slept good for a week old babe. While at the time I was a little freaked by the whole thing I don't think anything of it now. Way better than teething.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:41 AM

Pitocin for 23 hours, baby had mild jaundice. She did not need billi lights and I was not told to do anything but nurse normally.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 AM

no pitocin or drugs- ds had jaundice, not bad enough for the ped. to even want to draw blood.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 07-10-2006, 10:54 AM

All four babies had jaundice - I only had pitocin with one of them, the last two were born at home, no vitamin K either.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 07-10-2006, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
No pitocin, had lots of jaundice, but DS was a preemie, so I think that affected his bilirubin levels more than anything else.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 07-10-2006, 12:35 PM

Both my babes had jaundice, the first was a pitocin induction and the second was completely natural.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:59 PM

Home birth (no pit, obviously), and delayed cord clamping. Bad jaundice (>21) and had to be hospitalized. Caused by problems BFing I'm sure. A terrible, terrible experience.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
No pitocin, had lots of jaundice, but DS was a preemie, so I think that affected his bilirubin levels more than anything else.
This may seem like a dumb question but is there a correlation between gestational age and jaundice?

User Tag List