hospital birth and high blood pressure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2009, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting nervous about birth as my blood pressure keeps fluctuating - today it was 147/96. I've been on modified bed rest since Thanksgiving due to the blood pressure and also pregnancy induced low platelets (called thrombocytopenia). What happens during a hospital labor when blood pressure is that high? Does anyone know any tricks for keeping blood pressure low during labor? Thanks in advance

momma to one sweet little girl born January 2010, and a lovable little boy born August 2012. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't tell you what the standard protocol is, but I've had two hospital births with high BP--the first it was about where yours is and they didn't do anything special, just kept me on a BP cuff and watched it.

The second time I transferred in labor from a planned homebirth and my BP was in the 170s/90s. I also had some significant bleeding. They put me on a magnesium sulfate drip, injected some other BP drug (lobeterol? something like that). I had to stay in bed, lying down and the mag stopped my contractions, so they started a Pit drip to get them going again.

As far as keeping BP low--what has worked best for me in the past is relaxing. I've used visualizations (imagining myself relaxing on the beach or getting a massage) and deep breathing. I've also heard carrot and celery juice can be good.

ETA: This didn't work well for me, but there is a free Hypnosis script available from Hypnobabies called "Relax Me" that might be useful to you. You can read a description of it and get the download link on the blog post.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side

User Tag List