What do you consider NCB--and would you have said something? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 56 Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
 
noobmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This actually happened to me quite a while ago, but I just thought of it now.

I was talking to an acquaintance of mine at a kid's function. Her first child was born around the same time as mine and although I didn't know all the details of her labor and birth, she had mentioned several times that she had a natural childbirth.

For this particular conversation we were talking about labor/childbirth in a group of people. The group consisted of mostly crunchy types--all of whom had done NCB, several waterbirths, homebirths, etc. In fact, among the group there was a Bradley instructor and a doula-in-training. Basically, every mom was pretty well-versed.

Anyway, it comes out over the course of the conversation that although this one mom did not have an epidural, she had something (narcotics, I assume?) in her IV. She said when the nurse asked her if she wanted something for the pain she said "heck yah".

You can imagine everyone's reaction because for the last 2 or 3 years we had all assumed that when she said she had a NCB she meant an completely unmedicated birth. Not just "no epidural". Other than the stunned looks, no one said anything.

In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't say anything because it's really not my business, but I am slightly concerned that this woman might be spreading misinformation to FTMs about what NCB actually is. I am not trying to one-up anyone, but to be completely honest, I would sooner take an epidural or spinal than take the IV narcotics that could get into the baby's system.

So, what do you consider a NCB? Have you ever come across people that have a looser definition than you do? Is there an "official" or commonly accepted definition?

FWIW, I had an unmedicated hospital birth. So, I guess that's where I draw my line--no drugs before the baby was born. I did have a shot for bleeding afterwards. If I had had an IV (say with antibiotics for GBS) I think I would still consider that a NCB. Same with AROM although I wouldn't choose to have that done, in general. I sort of dislike the term NCB because it's kinda vague so I usually just say I had an unmedicated birth.
noobmom is offline  
#2 of 56 Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 AM
 
urchin_grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NCB to me means no pain meds and no induction (though AROM would be kind of a grey area, but mostly I just mean no pitocin or the like).

I've known some people IRL to use "natural birth" interchangeably with "vaginal birth".

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

urchin_grey is offline  
#3 of 56 Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 AM
 
MsBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SE MO
Posts: 3,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I probably would not say anything in a situation like you described....but it is true, in this era people interchange 'NCB' with 'vag birth'.
MsBlack is offline  
#4 of 56 Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 AM
 
MittensKittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think it is my business to say anything to people who think that they have had a natural birth, when in fact all they mean is that had a vaginal birth. I do think the general (hospital?) practice of calling any vaginal birth "natural childbirth" is setting a dangerous precedent of normalizing and "naturalizing" drugs in childbirth though, making it that much more difficult to refuse them.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
MittensKittens is offline  
#5 of 56 Old 01-04-2010, 12:15 PM
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I consider NCB to be no epidural. I'm honestly not sure on whether I consider that a shot of narcotics eliminates it from being "natural." I dont' know enough about them. (I know nausea is a side effect & I get nauseous easily & consider it a MORE unpleasant sensation than pain, so there's no way I would have opted for it, so I'm not really well informed.)

I think often people use "NCB" = "Vag birth" because they don't feel comfortable saying "vaginal." So I think it depends on the context - such as speaking with the human resources lady at work about time off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
I do think the general (hospital?) practice of calling any vaginal birth "natural childbirth" is setting a dangerous precedent of normalizing and "naturalizing" drugs in childbirth though, making it that much more difficult to refuse them.
Well, I don't think it is "setting" the precedent - I think that precedent has already been set. The fact alone that like 98% of births in America are in hospitals, over 32% are CS, of the remaining vaginal, something like 60% of those are induced or augmented with pit and I think it's at least 70% that get epidurals. HB is considered dangerous, crazy, and fringe, and "OB" is simply synonymous with "maternity care provider." (I think MWs attend only about 8% of births in the US.)

I think we have already come to that bridge and crossed it a long, long time ago. Actually, I think we are in the midst of crossing the bridge where CS is normalized & considered just as safe, for both mom & baby as vag birth (a past president of ACOG said exactly that.)
MegBoz is offline  
#6 of 56 Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think I would have said anything to that mom because she is telling people she had a NCB. Even though I may not consider getting any pain relief whilst in labor still natural. She may be saying she had a NCB to others which gives them hope, not necessarily that you can have other drugs (because as you said she never really ellaborated).

And yeah people do have a problem saying vaginal
Happiestever is offline  
#7 of 56 Old 01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
 
hippiemama76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SW FL
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I consider NCB to be unmedicated, vaginal, and with no interventions. Like the OP, I would still consider an IV to be natural, if it were just abx for GBS or just saline.

Where I live, which I think is a fairly high C-section area, natural just means "out the vagina," regardless of what drugs or interventions were used.

Sarah - mommy to Sophie (4) and Nora (1)
hippiemama76 is offline  
#8 of 56 Old 01-04-2010, 04:32 PM
 
Plummeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lol One friend of my MIL's told me she had a drug-free birth because she only got nubane (or something - I can't remember now), since she'd had some sort of spinal injury that the anesthesiologist determined made epidural too risky. I don't really worry about what people consider "natural". It's none of my business. I don't personally consider drugs "natural" but I don't really care what someone else wants to call their birth, you know? I have always thought it was hilarious, though, that the particular woman I'm referring to didn't just call her birth "natural" but actually called it "drug-free" even though she got IV narcotics. That's so funny to me.
Plummeting is offline  
#9 of 56 Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 PM
 
MiaMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had no epidural, no pain meds of any sort, but I do not consider my daughter's birth to have been natural because it was induced and augmented. I think induction drugs are wayyyyyyy less natural than pain relief because they are by definition meant to make the labor proceed differently than it naturally would.
MiaMama is offline  
#10 of 56 Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 PM
 
MamaMelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NE USA
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe the "stunned looks" and "everyones reaction" is what keeps her from talking more about her experience. Maybe she feels judged, and if so, my heart goes out to her, it would be hard to feel that you were judged by your friends for how you chose to birth.
MamaMelis is offline  
#11 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 AM
 
katelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,779
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I agree there are lots of definitions. For me *personally* I would describe my birth as natural if I had no pain medication, no augmentation of labour and no instrumental assistance. As some other PPs have said, I would still describe my experience as natural if I had IV ABs or fluids.

I was a bit surprised to read, on another forum I frequent, an update on some one who had had a baby. The person posting the news said "... a lovely natural birth, with just a bit of help from the vaccuum". I personally do not consider a vacuum delivery a natural birth. I guess maybe she meant that up until that point there had been no intervention but, if she considers vacuum extraction natural then I really don't know for sure. I wouldn't say anything to them but privately I disagree with that definition of natural.

ETA - if someone said to me that their birth was "drug free" but they had NO/narcotics/epidural then, yes, I would say something but I would try to do it in a nonjudgemental way.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

katelove is online now  
#12 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 AM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dunno, I think in so many ways this sounds like a spitting contest YKWIM? Its like women need to compete to see who has the "best" birth...with "best" having many definitions depending on the crowd. The OP sounds very judgy to me ("stunned looks" and then producing her credentials). Why do we all feel such a need for one-upmanship? So many crunchy mommies are tramatized because their births do not go as they wished, and then they/we are made to somehow feel impure because of it.

So now that I have probably offended everyone...sorry.
Chamomile Girl is offline  
#13 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 AM
 
CorasMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Standing on my head
Posts: 2,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I dunno, I think in so many ways this sounds like a spitting contest YKWIM? Its like women need to compete to see who has the "best" birth...with "best" having many definitions depending on the crowd. The OP sounds very judgy to me ("stunned looks" and then producing her credentials). Why do we all feel such a need for one-upmanship? So many crunchy mommies are tramatized because their births do not go as they wished, and then they/we are made to somehow feel impure because of it.

So now that I have probably offended everyone...sorry.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
CorasMama is offline  
#14 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 AM
 
Plummeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
ETA - if someone said to me that their birth was "drug free" but they had NO/narcotics/epidural then, yes, I would say something but I would try to do it in a nonjudgemental way.
But wouldn't you be afraid that would hurt their feelings? I don't really care what someone calls their own birth. It's their experience and they can define it however they want. I thought it was funny that someone said a birth with narcotics was drug-free. I didn't say anything to her, though. I just giggled about it when I was alone later. If I'd said something to her, she would've felt like I was calling her stupid or something, I think.
Plummeting is offline  
#15 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 03:38 AM
 
Kidzaplenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Writing my Happily Ever After
Posts: 16,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I dunno, I think in so many ways this sounds like a spitting contest YKWIM? Its like women need to compete to see who has the "best" birth...with "best" having many definitions depending on the crowd. The OP sounds very judgy to me ("stunned looks" and then producing her credentials). Why do we all feel such a need for one-upmanship? So many crunchy mommies are tramatized because their births do not go as they wished, and then they/we are made to somehow feel impure because of it.

So now that I have probably offended everyone...sorry.
Actually, I quite agree.

Personally, when I say "natural childbirth" I mean just me doing what is natural to make it all happen. However, if for some reason I felt the need to actually take some sort of pain med (which I was actually really wanting for the first time with this birth), not an epidural, I would have still considered it "natural" since it was not induced, augmented, or "assisted" and produced a baby vaginally.

I actually had this very discussion with my OB about what she considers "natural childbirth" (which, by the way she totally interchanges with vaginal). I don't really have a problem with someone having that concept of "natural". Who am I to judge them?

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Kidzaplenty is offline  
#16 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 04:05 AM
 
katelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,779
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
But wouldn't you be afraid that would hurt their feelings? I don't really care what someone calls their own birth. It's their experience and they can define it however they want. I thought it was funny that someone said a birth with narcotics was drug-free. I didn't say anything to her, though. I just giggled about it when I was alone later. If I'd said something to her, she would've felt like I was calling her stupid or something, I think.
I guess it would depend on the individual circumstances and how well I knew the person.

I think people have the right to make their own decisions but I kind of do mind when people say inaccurate things like narcotics = drug free. I don't like myths and misconceptions about health care being started/perpetuated. I am *totally* ok with a person making an informed decision to have a narcotic during labour but, they can't have it both ways. Either they had the drug *or* they had a drug free birth. Either is their choice but I don't see that distinction as being subjective.

The term "natural birth" however, I think is more subjective and I would be interested to explore what people's definitions were and why. But only because I was interested, not to prove them wrong or judge them or anything. So, in that, case I might say something to find out more about their views.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

katelove is online now  
#17 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 AM
 
JorgieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope, I would never have said anything.

If there is anything 'un'natural about a birth, necessary or not, it's not NCB. Just simply by definition. Regardless of how I, or anyone else, birthed.
JorgieGirl is offline  
#18 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 AM
 
mntnmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know people who use the term "natural" because they can't stand to say "vaginal", as opposed to a section. I try to be specific and refer to "vaginal" birth or "drug-free" depending on the conversation. I consider "natural" childbirth to mean no medical interventions. Something I've only done once, arguably twice out of 4, and I'm ok with that.
I think the OP's issue was the usage of the word. If you have an epidural, is it a natural birth? Personally, I wouldn't label it that way. I really do hope this lady didn't "hide" that fact out of fear of being judged. Every woman has the right to her experience, and the "crunchy" tendency to judge is just as bad as the mainstream one.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
mntnmom is offline  
#19 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
 
laughingfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To-may-to, to-mah-to.

NCB is defined differently by everyone who says it, even if it's just in subtle ways.
Even your unmedicated birth might not be "natural" by some peoples' definitions, since you were in a hospital.

I wouldn't have said anything.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
laughingfox is offline  
#20 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
 
Tofu the Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I dunno, I think in so many ways this sounds like a spitting contest YKWIM? Its like women need to compete to see who has the "best" birth...with "best" having many definitions depending on the crowd. The OP sounds very judgy to me ("stunned looks" and then producing her credentials). Why do we all feel such a need for one-upmanship? So many crunchy mommies are tramatized because their births do not go as they wished, and then they/we are made to somehow feel impure because of it.
Agreed.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Tofu the Geek is offline  
#21 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I dunno, I think in so many ways this sounds like a spitting contest YKWIM? Its like women need to compete to see who has the "best" birth...with "best" having many definitions depending on the crowd. The OP sounds very judgy to me ("stunned looks" and then producing her credentials). Why do we all feel such a need for one-upmanship? So many crunchy mommies are tramatized because their births do not go as they wished, and then they/we are made to somehow feel impure because of it.

So now that I have probably offended everyone...sorry.
I totally agree with this. To take it a step further, one could even argue that a hospital birth at all is not "natural". Others might say that a homebirth with assistance is not "natural". I think getting hung up on the semantics is putting more energy into placing judgement than is called for.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#22 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
 
Cheshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: My yellow submarine
Posts: 2,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This subject comes up on this board every few months - do a search and you'll find lots of opinions.

Some like to say natural so they don't have to say vaginal, especially in mixed company.

To each his own.
Cheshire is offline  
#23 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 PM
 
columbusmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Running
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I dunno, I think in so many ways this sounds like a spitting contest YKWIM? Its like women need to compete to see who has the "best" birth...with "best" having many definitions depending on the crowd. The OP sounds very judgy to me ("stunned looks" and then producing her credentials). Why do we all feel such a need for one-upmanship? So many crunchy mommies are tramatized because their births do not go as they wished, and then they/we are made to somehow feel impure because of it.

So now that I have probably offended everyone...sorry.
Well put! I don't like the word "natural" birth, to each her own whatever natural may, or may not mean. How about just using the term birth??

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
columbusmomma is offline  
#24 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM
 
Juvysen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The term "natural" can just mean so many things... I dunno. I mean - even on food labels, "natural" is a stretchy word. Meh. My first baby was induced but I had no pain meds. I call it "an induction with no pain meds"... the second one was a home birth. I call it a "home birth"... if people want more information, I'm happy to share.

I guess I mean that "natural" could be describing the endocrinology involved, the endurance involved, or it could be describing the physical means by which the baby was born. That is, "natural" could mean that you only used your own hormones (i.e. not at all induced, but possibly with use of pain meds), it could mean that you had no pain meds (like you took on all the pain "naturally", even if you were induced or whatever) or it could mean that you had the baby come out your vagina (even by means of vacuum and flat on your back with a gigantic episiotomy or whatever - which isn't exactly natural either). It could also mean that you walked, pushed in different positions, squatted... blah blah blah. I dunno. "Natural" is just not very descriptive, imo.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

 

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Juvysen is offline  
#25 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 PM
 
finnegansmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mass.
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would never have said anything about their label for their own birth.

But in terms of "natural", you can push the lines in either direction. I gave birth to my second son in a tub. Is that natural? Do other primates normally birth in water? Is it a form of pain relief and therefore not natural? The cord was cut and clamped a few minutes after birth - are only lotus births natural?

the word natural is really subjective.

I think if someone said, "I had a pain med free birth. I also had a constant IV of demoral" or whatever, then maybe I'd raise a brow...(then again maybe not)

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

finnegansmom is offline  
#26 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 11:08 PM
 
AlexisT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There was an interesting debate in the UK over how to define a "normal" birth. I think their basic criteria were no induction and no epidural. Pethidine (Demerol) and gas and air were okay. Episiotomy, forceps, ventouse were all out.

Interestingly, "normal" birth (obviously this is not the same as "natural" but it shows the difficulties in defining this) included augmentation with pitocin and AROM, provided that it was't done as a part of induction. It also included managed 3rd stage. Some members of the working group wanted these excluded and there was talk of a tighter definition of "natural" birth. If I were drawing up a definition (and the point of the debate was that there had to be a single, clear, consistent definition of "normal birth" so that statistics could be collected and analysed) I would exclude augmentation and probably opioids. Entonox is dicey for me, really. Excluding managed 3rd stage is difficult, almost purity at the expense of sense. It's the NICE recommendation and standard practice.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

AlexisT is offline  
#27 of 56 Old 01-05-2010, 11:47 PM
 
Juvysen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My SIL was given some sort of narcotic, but told it wasn't a pain med, it was just to help her relax. Fenta-something? She claims to have had a pain med-free birth. I'm not convinced... Her description of the drug sounded exactly like descriptions I've heard people give of Stadol

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

 

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Juvysen is offline  
#28 of 56 Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 AM
 
bobandjess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NCB means completely diferent things to different people. In my area, which is ATROCIOUS for birth, "natural" childbirth usually refers to having the baby vaginally, )versus surgically), regardless of whether epidurals, pain meds, or otehr interventions galore are used......ya, it's that bad.
Personally, I refuse to use teh term "natural" to describe ANY hospital birth, because I don't believe going to a hospital to birth to be at all a "natural" thing to do. I will say"she had an unmedicated, low-intervention hospital birth" to describe, for example, the births a few friends have had with the one good hospital midwife.

CPST
bobandjess99 is offline  
#29 of 56 Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 AM
 
bobandjess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
My SIL was given some sort of narcotic, but told it wasn't a pain med, it was just to help her relax. Fenta-something? She claims to have had a pain med-free birth. I'm not convinced... Her description of the drug sounded exactly like descriptions I've heard people give of Stadol
Fentanyl is an extremely potent narcotic, about 100 times stronger than MORPHINE.
Uh..ya, she had pain meds.

CPST
bobandjess99 is offline  
#30 of 56 Old 01-06-2010, 03:07 AM
 
Mamatoto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Right here!
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I generally don't use the term "NCB" I say drug-free birth if that's what I mean, in large part because I think it more clearly communicates what I mean but also because "NCB" may imply that birthing in any way other than drug free is "unnatural" which to me has negative tone (sounds like I'm judging to me). I think that technically one could make the argument that a baby coming to live on the outside after cooking in-utero is the natural progression of things, even if the vagina is not the exit route or drugs were on-board (not suggesting that drugs are a great option or that they don't have negative effects on mom/baby, etc., just that they don't necessarily "contaminate" the birth, rendering it "unnatural").

When I refer to my births, I generally say that I had a drug-free midwife-assisted water birth for my first (and many folks would, and did, suggest that birthing a human in water is not natural). Of course I also hemorrhaged after she was born and again a couple days later and had TONS of drugs and blood transfusions and ultimately surgery as a result, so in my head the experience of the birth in totality did NOT feel very natural to me. When I speak of my second, I say that I had an emergency c-section (or surgical birth) as my DD was very intent on staying transverse breech. Her being transverse breech was just as "unnatural" as me trying to deliver her vaginally would have been. Likewise, the "unnatural" classical incision left on my uterus as a result combined with the "unnatural" pregnancy complications that have marked my current pregnancy will require another c-section. My birth will be a natural progression of my pregnancy to result in a safe delivery for me an baby even though it won't be a vaginal or drug-free delivery.

To be clear, I personally would always opt for a drug-free vaginal delivery if possible, because I think that it represents the best overall scenario for mother/baby, but I wouldn't want to suggest to any woman that the way they brought their child into the world was "unnatural."

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
Mamatoto2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off