Explain the "Ring of Fire" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my DS had a 15 inch head and i felt the ring of fire just when his head was coming out.. it hurt, but it wasn't bad enough to want to stop pushing or any of that... it just felt like stretching, the worst part was that i felt like iw as going to tear and that was scary, but not that painful..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 AM

[QUOTE=laughingfox;14922725]The homebirthing doctor I had with DD told me that the ring of fire is how your body tells you to take a break and give it more time to stretch.
She told me to push until it burned, then lay off for a second, then push again. With each push, I could push farther before the burning started again. QUOTE]

YES!! They were telling me to push, push, but I had to go slow through the burning. I truly believe that is what kept me from really tearing- stopping pushing when it really burned.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingfox View Post
The homebirthing doctor I had with DD told me that the ring of fire is how your body tells you to take a break and give it more time to stretch.
She told me to push until it burned, then lay off for a second, then push again. With each push, I could push farther before the burning started again.
YES!! They were telling me to push, push, but I had to go slow through the burning. I truly believe that is what kept me from really tearing- stopping pushing when it really burned.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
I felt it. It hurt like a demon, but paradoxically, it was the best part of my birthing experience. It meant that it was almost over and my baby was about to be in my arms.
:

It was intense! I did not have control of my body at that point - the pushing was out of my control, and I was fighting it when I started feeling the burning, trying to slow the pushing down, but I really couldn't. He had a 15 inch head, even with the moulding, and a compound presentation (hand next to his face), so I REALLY had to stretch (before I had him, even sex required stretching). I did wind up with a small tear (no stitches necessary), but it literally felt like every centimeter of my labia was being ripped to shreds.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 AM

I was really out of it from exhaustion and being generally overwhelmed during the pushing phase of my labor with DS but I remember a couple of things from pushing and one is when I sat straight up, looked at the OB right in the eyeballs and yelled/said forcefully "OH wow that BUUURNS!" and he said "yep, okay- reach down and catch your baby."

I like the pulling at the mouth analogy- seems pretty accurate to me
Old 01-13-2010, 02:45 PM

The feeling itself was bad enough (not really painful, but not comfortable either - I the hooked mouth analogy!) but it was made infinitely worse by the midwife. She was "massaging" me to prevent a tear by running two fingers (dipped in warm oil) around the baby's head, thus stretching me even more. Ugh, I didn't tear and the pain went away immediately, but d@mn if it didn't hurt like heck !

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
Old 01-13-2010, 03:30 PM

It felt like my vagina was on fire. It only lasted for a few minutes until Hunter was out and then it was gone.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:32 PM

yeah, just a burning sensation. I was already in tons of pain anyway so I dont remember it sticking out too much from the rest. If anything, I felt relief that he was finally coming out.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:34 PM

I have never felt it either....

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Old 01-13-2010, 04:44 PM

I don't remember feeling it. My doula said, "Meg, reach down & feel" & I was totally surprised to feel his head was right there (I had no idea how far I'd progressed with pushing!)
Next push or so he was coming out, I did tear (just a little 1st degree) and that felt, well, exactly like I would imagine tearing in your perineal skin to feel! I said "F--- F--- F---" real quick & kinda low but it only lasted a second. I totally forgot the whole "don't push as the head emerges" thing. & no one reminded me to pause there, so I kept pushing with the ctrx as I had been for the past 40 minutes. I suspect pausing, breathing & resisting the urge to push may have prevented that little tear.
(Unlike lots of mamas, I totally could fight the urge to push! I had done so for 30 min while on the way to the hospital. It wasn't easy to resist, and at the apex of each ctrx - just for a few seconds, I couldn't fight it & felt my body push a little, but otherwise I could stop.)
Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 PM

So far, I've had three UCs and have never felt it.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheime View Post
So far, I've had three UCs and have never felt it.
Damn, I am jealous. You are lucky! With dd1 I felt like someone had lit my crotch on fire AND I ripped all the way up to my clitoris as the icing on the cake.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It was horrible. Stages I and II were also horribly painful, but at least I didn't feel like I was being damaged. The 'ring of fire' was terrifying bc I could feel myself tearing. I wouldn't really say it felt like burning, it was straight up ripping. The finger in the mouth analogy is accurate but imagine you are doing it hard enough to actually tear your lip.

I kept sucking the baby back in bc I couldn't stand the tearing. I also felt trapped bc I knew ultimately there was going to be no way out but through it. Ugh.

Sadly, I found this
http://www.elle.com/Life-Love/Sex-Re...e-Ring-of-Fire
to be very accurate.

I had a 2nd degree labial tear FWIW, but it doesn't sound from the above posts as if the pain correlates so well with the extent of the damage.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 AM
Bea

Whoever described it as like a chinese burn...that struck a cord with me. Like a really burny chinese burn in your perineum. Not nice but certainly, for me anyway, not the most painful part of labour.

That was transition.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
Old 01-14-2010, 03:01 AM

Like someone holding a lighter up and burning your crotch. But it's over so fast. I remember going "What was that?" and the baby came and I didn't even think about it again for a few days when I was thinking back on labor.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 AM

I don't remember the ring of fire. The urge to push was just way stronger than any pain in that moment. I also didn't feel the OB cut me in order to birth DD faster (her heartrate was way down, it had to be fast).

joy.gif
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM

It felt like terrible burning and stretching to me, but once her head was out it stopped hurting and the rest of her body felt like jello sliding right out. That burning was very hard for me to push through, though. It was hard to convince myself to push her out, when everything in me was screaming NOT to push her out because that would HURT.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:33 PM

[QUOTE]Sadly, I found this
http://www.elle.com/Life-Love/Sex-Re...e-Ring-of-Fire
to be very accurate./QUOTE]

She finishes that article by saying her sex life is better post baby than it was before though....? That is certainly true for me. Not sad about it at all :P
Old 01-14-2010, 05:50 PM

for me each time it was the unbearable stretch and burn sensation other pps are describing~ it is also the time in each birth where my body has taken over so completely and the pain and pressure is so intense I feel it up in my throat ~ just when I feel panicky with the pain and the length that my body has been bearing down, they crown. after that is the most amazing relief~ like nothing else! once the rest of them slips out~ and then the placenta~ what a feeling of YES! iTs over!

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=jeminijad;14923754]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingfox View Post
The homebirthing doctor I had with DD told me that the ring of fire is how your body tells you to take a break and give it more time to stretch.
She told me to push until it burned, then lay off for a second, then push again. With each push, I could push farther before the burning started again. QUOTE]
Strange, I had a different experience. The german midwife kept shouting at me to keep pushing.
I had time at the begining to feel his head coming out, but just as he was crowning and I started burning she just kept yelling at me (probably because she had to be heard over my screaming) to keep going and not stop.
I didn't tear or anything either. It was so painful that I thought I had ripped through and through, but not a hint of any tears, no stiches of any kind and minimal healing. ::shoulder shrug::

Center
Old 01-14-2010, 06:50 PM

amazing how different we are and our experiences too~ I had no control over when I pushed or how hard~ 'I' was completely out of control and my 'body' kept bearing, bearing~ it took my breath away~ literally and there was no way I could stop, slow down or 'breathe through it' at that point.

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 01-15-2010, 03:06 PM

I had something sort of similar to the "stretching' of the mouth thing that was described, felt like a burn, but really just felt super tight stretching but ONLY during my third birth. For whatever reason (maybe the position, he did come out posterior). But, it wasn't that bad, just a sensation that made me think "wow tight". Then his head was out and I realize, 'awesome I'm almost done'. LOL

Otherwise I've only felt basically a little tightness or pressure, I kind of think that all the pressure keeps me from feeling that much LOL. My body definitely pushes all on it's own too (have had four hbs including one which was an accidental UC).

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

User Tag List