37 weeks and LOTS of BH -- How long can this go on for? - Mothering Forums
Birth and Beyond > 37 weeks and LOTS of BH -- How long can this go on for?
soontobethree's Avatar soontobethree 06:17 AM 01-16-2010
I am due around Feb 2 with our 3rd son . Our first was a preemie at 35 weeks, and our 2nd was born on his due date. I had a pretty normal amount of Braxton Hicks the 2nd time around, but have had a LOT more with this pregnancy. I understand that is very normal, but over the last week their frequency has increased significantly beyond that and over the last couple of days they are often uncomfortable. Not out-and-out PAINFUL most of the time, although that's happening too, but definitely strong enough where I need to breathe through them.

I completely realize I could have a few more weeks to go, but it seems like my body's been really "gearing up". I'm curious if it's normal to have Braxton Hicks like this for 2-3 weeks? What was your experience in this regard?

Just wondering ....

treegardner's Avatar treegardner 06:20 AM 01-16-2010
My due date was 7/18/08. 7/4/08 I started having BH and a few days later I went in for an appointment and I was 3 cm, 90% effaced, and at 0 station. My MW told me I would probably go into labor that night or the next day. This went on until I had my son on 7/23/08!
mamakori's Avatar mamakori 10:38 AM 01-16-2010
I had a similar experience with my last pregnancy. Over 3 weeks of regular, strong BH, only to deliver right around my due date. It could mean labor's right around the corner, or labor could still be a ways off. For me, the most reliable sign that I was actually getting close to labor was losing my plug and having bloody show a couple of days before going into labor. Hang in there, mama!
khaoskat's Avatar khaoskat 11:47 AM 01-16-2010
With DD2, I was sitting in a Pediatricians appointment and had been having a good 6+ hours of contractions. They were to the point the Ped thought I would deliver in her office. When I had my 37 week appt a few days later (Ped was on a Friday), I was dilated to 1 cm and not sure about effacement. I didn't end up delivering until 41 weeks.
soontobethree's Avatar soontobethree 03:42 PM 01-16-2010
Well, as much as I'd love to have this baby sooner than later (I am SO big and SO uncomfortable and SO tired), I realize I probably have a good 2+ weeks left and need to just deal with it. Keeping my fingers crossed that all the BH are at least doing something!

Thanks for your input ladies!
tireesix's Avatar tireesix 04:29 PM 01-16-2010
Oooooo, don't be too down. I had loads of braxton hicks with my third and expected to go to 43 weeks again but was surprised when DD3 arrived on her due date!
Sweetiemommy's Avatar Sweetiemommy 07:53 PM 01-16-2010
This might make you feel worse, but I felt more contractions a few weeks ago than I feel now (at 40 weeks). It is so frustrating to think you are going to go early and then to hit your "due date." I was so good with my first two, I actually put my due date in my mind as the date that I would be 42 weeks. So even though my first was due in late April, I told myself and everyone else that it would be mid-May. This time, I let myself think that I would certainly go by 40 weeks (both of my others were right around there) and here I am at 40 weeks, with little to no signs of progress! So I think I am going to set the two week date in my mind now and just figure, I'll have the baby by Feb. Sigh. It is hard too, with the homebirth, keeping the house tidy and keeping good food stocked, etc. But I think the key is staying busy socially, although that is hard too, because everyone insists that you are going to "have the baby any minute." Aaaaargh.
coldandsleepy's Avatar coldandsleepy 02:39 AM 01-17-2010
I had regular BH for at least an hour every day from 34 weeks onward. They'd start out 10 minutes apart or so and get closer and closer and more intense... just like real contractions... they just didn't DO anything.

Finally went into labor at just over 41 weeks.

Sorry, wish I had encouragement for you-- but this COULD go on for quite some time yet. Hang in there!
lunita1's Avatar lunita1 03:40 AM 01-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobethree View Post
I am due around Feb 2 with our 3rd son . Our first was a preemie at 35 weeks, and our 2nd was born on his due date. I had a pretty normal amount of Braxton Hicks the 2nd time around, but have had a LOT more with this pregnancy. I understand that is very normal, but over the last week their frequency has increased significantly beyond that and over the last couple of days they are often uncomfortable. Not out-and-out PAINFUL most of the time, although that's happening too, but definitely strong enough where I need to breathe through them.

I completely realize I could have a few more weeks to go, but it seems like my body's been really "gearing up". I'm curious if it's normal to have Braxton Hicks like this for 2-3 weeks? What was your experience in this regard?

Just wondering ....
You're 37 weeks? eh, it could go on for 5 weeks or so...

Seriously, I had nightly bouts of regular contractions for at least 3 weeks last time. The good part was that when I actually went into labor it took 2 hours, start to finish. I guess you could say I either had a 3 week long labor or a 2 hour one, depending on how you count it...
Up