"Willing" oneself into labor (not really INTO labor, but "readiness" for labor, I guess?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM

I think that's a really good Q. I've said this before & I'll say it again... while having a lot of negative thoughts (fear, anxiety, etc.) can inhibit the onset of labor that doesn't necessarily mean the reverse is true! I.e. I do NOT think that readiness/ positive thoughts brings on labor any sooner than, say, a neutral outlook.

Baby's come when they are ready. (Well, if they are healthy & all is well - we know sometimes something is "wrong" with prematurity, etc.) Anxiety can stall things, but not delay forever (the most anxious women in the world is going to pop sometime!)

I think the same is true with pain - a high level of anxiety can increase the level of pain in labor, but that DOES not mean that the most optimistic, fearless outlook will guarantee a pain-free birth!!

As for my own personal comparison, I exercised a lot through my pregnancy & Dr. Clapp's research (basically the only one to study exercise in pregnancy!) shows that 75% of exercising women give birth before their due date! (Although he didn't clarify which were primi vs. multiparas (had given birth before or not.)

With exercise & the fact that my sister went early & my Mom & G-ma went right around their due dates, I was CONVINCED I'd go around 38-39W. I had no fears except a little anxiety about the hospital (planned to labor at home as long as possible.) was actually looking forward to giving birth! Was ready at home, ready to leave work, etc.

I never had a SINGLE contraction until after having my membranes stripped at 41W4d. (One during an NST that was so minor, I barely count it. And that was ONE, just ONE!)

Yup, I was 'ready' emotionally & in terms of baby 'stuff' etc. at 38W & that boy hung in until 41W4d! So, there you go. Ha!
#3 of 8 Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#4 of 8 Old 01-18-2010, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

As for my own personal comparison, I exercised a lot through my pregnancy & Dr. Clapp's research (basically the only one to study exercise in pregnancy!) shows that 75% of exercising women give birth before their due date! (Although he didn't clarify which were primi vs. multiparas (had given birth before or not.)

With exercise & the fact that my sister went early & my Mom & G-ma went right around their due dates, I was CONVINCED I'd go around 38-39W. I had no fears except a little anxiety about the hospital (planned to labor at home as long as possible.) was actually looking forward to giving birth! Was ready at home, ready to leave work, etc.
I was convinced of the SAME thing and even more so after reading Dr. Clapp's book. I am still jogging and ellipticalling pretty vigorously (as much as I can for this late in pregnancy!), had two early babies, and here I am at 38 1/2 weeks with no labor in sight. I am READY, but it doesn't seem to have any bearing. LOL. I wish!
#5 of 8 Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 PM

My MW was pretty sure I could have started labor at will. I walk around for a month or more, 100% effaced and dilating up to 5 cms without ever feeling a thing. Because of my FAST labors (DD1 was 1 hour 48 minutes from water breaking/1st contraction to baby in my arms, DD2 was 1 hour and 8 minutes - with the cord wrapped loosely around her neck - twice - slowing her down!) I was worried about having baby while alone with my toddler at home, or on the side of the road, or at work, etc.

My MW kept telling me to mentally prepare for a pre-Christmas baby, which I did not want. I was due Jan. 2 or 4 and dang it, I was NOT going to saddle the baby with a Christmas birthday! And I lasted until Jan. 2, a few days after I said "OK, we made it past the holidays, I'm ready any time you are, baby!"
#6 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 12:44 AM

This is the kind of thing that I find happens on its own the closer you get to the birth... you become more and more preoccupied by it until you've processed it, thought about it, come to terms with it over and over, and are 100% ready for it to happen.

FWIW, I've been very focused on my upcoming birth and saying positive affirmations and such, and am going longer than I did with my first pregnancy. I do think that some people have mental roadblocks for whatever reason, but even those of us who process like crazy and stay open and ready have to prepare for a baby who may not be ready when we are .

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#7 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 03:44 AM

I kinda feel like this happened for #2

I was overdue and sent child #1 for a long day at grandma's. I bathed and napped all day, and then as soon as my husband came home, contractions started instantly. so I have to think that once everything was in place, my body just switched labor on.

maybe years from now science will figure out more of this mind/body stuff.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#8 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 02:52 PM

Another story about the readiness thing - "due date" for me (40W 0D) was July 7. I figured I'd go before that, but nope, I reached it. Started doing some accupressure (went to an experienced massuse, tons of walk, etc.)

Lasted until July 12 and that was a Saturday. I decided to trim the giant oak tree in our front yard (Hey, it needed it!) DH climbed the tree with the chain saw, then together we chopped & stacked the branches. I took pics because I thought it would be cute to document one of our last pre-baby Saturdays & what we did. And, of course, I was a funny sight - so pregnant & chopping branches!

I happened to know that my favorite of the 3 MWs was on call at the hospital the next day - AND it was the 13th! DH & I got married on the 13th & thought it would be sweet for DS to be born that day. (It's a lucky # in my family.)

NOPE! Still nothing!
(Had membranes swept Friday, the 18th & he was born that day.)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page