8 days old, and we have to give our DD a pill daily. Help us with figure this out, please. We are desperate. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
info from a metabolic screening site about hypothyroid-

"Only the tablet form of levo-thyroxine should be prescribed. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved liquid suspensions. Suspensions prepared by pharmacists may lead to unreliable dosage. The tablets should be crushed daily, mixed with a few milliliters of water, formula or breast milk and fed to the infant. "

so this is why you have a tablet to give your baby- ask the pharmacist or maybe go to the hospital and ask one of the neo nurses they may have a trick or 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 01-20-2010, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We used a syringe, and I would squirt the meds in the very back of her cheek, and immediately blow in her face. Then sometimes, massage her throat to make sure it all went down.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#33 of 38 Old 01-20-2010, 08:56 PM

A pharmacist who actually DOES compounding (not your local Walgreens) is trained to create exact dosages from a solid to a liquid. Many will give you single-serving liquid forms (where I worked, we did it all the time because you're right- dosing can be tricky). I'd call around to your little pharmacies (mom&pop) to talk to the pharmacist. No pharmacist is going to risk compounding a liquid from a pill that shouldn't be compounded, and if you are able to talk to a few who can do research on it, it would save you a LOT of grief.

I agree - it's insane to give a newborn a pill, and it will only get harder.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#34 of 38 Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 PM

I see that you're in Boston, OP. Skenderian Apothecary in Cambridge (on Cambridge Street, I believe) is a compounding pharmacy. Perhaps they could help you.

You are in one of the best cities in the world to serve your baby's medical needs. Good luck!

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#35 of 38 Old 01-25-2010, 01:16 PM

I had the same situation. I also went to the internet for help and found basically nothing out there. Here is what we figured out.

Don't dissolve the pill in anything because it will stick to the sides.
1. Crush it and dump it into an oral syringe. (Put your finger over the end so it doesn't spill out on the floor, then flip it over and put the stopper in just a little bit of the way. Flip it back and flick the sides so the medicine is against the stopper and not your finger. Take your finger off and then push the plunger in about half way)
2. Then suck in liquid (I used breast milk for the first 6 months or so, it didn't dissolve as well but she didn't spit it out) cover the end and shake it.
3. Give it to the baby
4. Do a "rinse" (suck in liquid a second time)Give it to the baby

5. Wash everything except your pill crusher. Never wash your pill crusher.
This way you stop losing some of the pill each time. Just store it in a clean place and only use it for this specific med.

This is the perfect way for synthroid. Our endocrinologist was no help with coming up with a method but approved this one.

I created a blog to try to put some of this stuff that I had to figure out myself out there. If you want the rest of the tips from someone who started doing this at 4 days and has made it to 10.5 months here is my blog:
http://www.momgauntlet.blogspot.com/

Wishing you less stress!
#36 of 38 Old 01-25-2010, 02:27 PM

I don't know how big this pill is, or how much powder it makes, but I know when I had to give my DS antibiotics at a few weeks old and the doc said to give probiotics as well, what I would do is smear the powder over my nipple so he took it in when he nursed.
#37 of 38 Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Any update?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#38 of 38 Old 02-05-2010, 05:05 PM

my son, who was born in november, was also dx'd with congenital hypothyroidism & has been taking a levothyroxine since he was about a week old. we just crush it between two spoons, then put it on our finger & into his mouth...he takes it very easily, as it tastes a little sweet, not bitter at all. we do sometimes have to hold his chin down a little with a finger to open his mouth, but often if we give it to him when he's in a happy mood or sleeping, he is just fine and doesn't fuss one bit. you're so right that it just doesn't work going the syringe/medicine dropper route...just gets stuck in the syringe. if you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me! good luck!

eta: it's easiest with two people...one to hold the baby's arms back & open her mouth; the other person to hold the medicine spoon & put the medicine in the baby's mouth.

baby arlo is now earthside! 11.23.2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page