Gestational Diabetes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SIL has gestational diabetes, after a tramatic first c-section (after planning a homebirth) they now want to book an early c-section for her second child.

Needless to say she is not happy, she was planning a VBAC. My real question here is do they really need to separate the mother and child after a c-section? Do they really need to put the baby in "observation" after this birth becasue of blood sugar problems? My SIL is taking insulin now, so I guess her OB, like many OB's does not want to take any chances.

I am really worried about her going through a repeat PPD after the c-section and I am also worried about her being able to bond with this baby. She has a lot of issues with the last birth, that she still hasn't delt with, and may never, and it was over three years ago.

Any insight would be helpful...
Alana.

P.S I am I just being paranoid here, but I would not want my baby to leave my sight, or at least my dh sight, what if they gave the baby formula or any crap like that... Its just scary.:
#2 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by charlottesmom

Needless to say she is not happy, she was planning a VBAC. My real question here is do they really need to separate the mother and child after a c-section? Do they really need to put the baby in "observation" after this birth becasue of blood sugar problems? My SIL is taking insulin now, so I guess her OB, like many OB's does not want to take any chances.

I am really worried about her going through a repeat PPD after the c-section and I am also worried about her being able to bond with this baby. She has a lot of issues with the last birth, that she still hasn't delt with, and may never, and it was over three years ago.

Any insight would be helpful...
Alana.

P.S I am I just being paranoid here, but I would not want my baby to leave my sight, or at least my dh sight, what if they gave the baby formula or any crap like that... Its just scary.:
Howdy, you should read the csection birth support thread.

First, if your SIL does have a repeat csection she does not have to be immedietely seperated from her baby. I had my son laid on my chest, with help of course after he was born. After a few minutes he was taken to the nursery and looked over but my DH stayed with him. When I got into recovery they brought him to me. However I did not have GD while pregnant. I would ask if his blood sugar could be checked after he was born and could he stay with mom in recovery and be periodically checked. A pediatrician will have to sign off on this, and I would get something signed with multiple copies to this effect. IF she is going to have a CB she needs to plan now. And make arrangements now so the staff, doctors can accomadate her. I am living proof that rules can be bent and some policies just ignored.

I am not sure why she had a csection the first time and why she is not a candidate for VBAC. Can you tell us what the reasoning behind this is?

I had PPD that was made worse by the csection. I am not sure how bad she was, but I did take medication starting at 33/34 week mark to combat this. It worked and I discontinued use when he was 4 weeks old. I had a lot of family support. My csection birth plan is on the support thread if you would like to take a look at it for her. I think planning was essential to healing from my first birth experience and mentally preparing. I did birth affirmations and meditated which I think helped as well.

Many hospitals WILL abide by the parents request to not give formula to breastfeeding infants. Some hospitals here you have to sign something giving them permission to give the baby formula. I talked to the head nurse of the nursery that day to make sure that they understood I didn't want baby bathed, given eye ointment, etc etc etc.

Kim
#3 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yep, Kim is totally right.

If they need to give the baby anything, they can do it with a family member there and give it by eye dropper instead of a bottle.

The GD diagnosis isn't so much an issue as the fact that she probably will not be able to eat anything before the planned c-section. This in itself could cause low blood sugar in the baby, but it's not always the case.

Yeah, it's sad she's not being given the chance to VBAC at all. Is there a medical reason why this is happening?

A baby can be observed in the mothers arms. I know this because that is exactly how I observe newborns.

The mamas in the c-birth support thread can help you out, too. It's sad if she's already worried about bonding and they're talking about taking the baby "away".
#4 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 03:06 PM

If she has a planned csection she may want to try and schedule it for first thing in the morning (7am). A few days before she really needs to eat a healthy diet per her condition and then really plan a good meal before surgery and eat it at the last possible time. Which would be midnight. So midnight, the night before she could have a really good, thought out meal to help with low blood sugar issues. If she plans a few days before hand her body may adjust to this and blood sugar may not be an issue when he is born 7 hours later.
She also needs to get him on the breast as soon as possible. I would say within the first 30min of birth. This can be accomplished. If he is born to early though, I know with some GD moms that like to do births earlier than 39 weeks, than he may have nursing issues. If she has too she can pump some right after the birth to give him that in the dropper that would be good.

I cant stress enough about combating PPD. I prepared for months because I had it twice. I needed a lot of family support and spousal support, and my dr played a key role. Depending on how bad, she may or may not need medication. But she should look at her options. I did a lot of research and it really paid off. I also told my family and friends signs to look for incase I was spinning out of control.

Kim
#5 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

They want to do a c-section becasue the baby is breach-getting too big etc.. you name the excuse and they are giving it to her.

The big part of the problem is she won't listen to me, I have asked her to disscuss with her OB in great detail her need to have that baby with her and not separated. She still has about a month to go before the surgery so she still has time to assemble a relyable team of support in the hospital. I have offered to come to town but she never responded, basically ignored my offer- I am not about to impose myself on anyone.

As for her PPD I asked her to seek real medical advice and to be proactive, it's like she already has PPD and the baby isn't even born yet. She will not take any meds for it at all. I find it frustrating when people won't help themsevles. But she's family, I don't want to ignore her, but she does a lot of this to herself.

Maybe she feels that if she goes on medication for PPD she may never get off. I really feel for her, and try to be supportive even if I feel she isn't taking care of herself enough.

Alana.
#6 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, she definitely sounds like she's going along with what they want to do. I would really just make myself available for her postpartum - lots of love, of course, and validation of her feelings.

{{hugs}} to you. You're a great SIL.
#7 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by charlottesmom
They want to do a c-section becasue the baby is breach-getting too big etc.. you name the excuse and they are giving it to her.

The big part of the problem is she won't listen to me, I have asked her to disscuss with her OB in great detail her need to have that baby with her and not separated. She still has about a month to go before the surgery so she still has time to assemble a relyable team of support in the hospital. I have offered to come to town but she never responded, basically ignored my offer- I am not about to impose myself on anyone.

As for her PPD I asked her to seek real medical advice and to be proactive, it's like she already has PPD and the baby isn't even born yet. She will not take any meds for it at all. I find it frustrating when people won't help themsevles. But she's family, I don't want to ignore her, but she does a lot of this to herself.

Maybe she feels that if she goes on medication for PPD she may never get off. I really feel for her, and try to be supportive even if I feel she isn't taking care of herself enough.

Alana.
You are really a great SIL. ITs really sad she will not listen to you or try to make her situation better, because she could.

I am kind of weird about breech babies so, I can understand a csection for that. Anyhow, the things I stated she can get. I wish she would have you come be with her. I had my sister cater to me and only me before, during and after my csection. It was great.

If you see her suffering from PPD, just step in. So many times I wish someone had. I suffered for nine months with my daughter. I even thought about killing myself. And no one knew but there were warning signs.

Kim

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page