Gross question about mucus plug - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the mucus plug always blood tinged? Sorry, I know this is gross, but this afternoon I have had lots of contractions and when I go to the bathroom, I have what is like pieces or chunks of blobs of jelly. No blood though, so I was wondering if that could possibly be it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sounds like your mucus plug to me. Mine was sort of like a slightly pink glop of snot. ...and it didn't make its appearance until I was well into labor. (FWIW, I also had no bloody show to speak of).

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#3 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Well, that would definitely be encouraging at 39+ weeks if it is the plug!
#4 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 01:30 AM

I think the plug looks really like snot!

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#5 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

That is definitely what this looked like, but it seems like everyone says blood tinged, and there was definitely no blood. Still no blood! Maybe it was a false alarm.
#6 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 02:04 PM

With my first baby I had lots and lots of gloppy mucous for days, but no blood or even a hint of it until I was in active labor. My last baby I had a couple of small globs of clear mucous a couple of days before EDD, then a pink spot of blood moments before contractions started, then a baby in my arms 6 hours later.
#7 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 PM

The times I actually noticed my mucus plug, it wasn't bloody at all, and looked just as you've described.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#8 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 PM

I just wiped and out came a big blob off jelly goop! It did have a dark brown color on one side but I know that we are talking about the same thing! Many blessings to you on the birth!
How long for others to start active labor after losing there plug? I have no contracts yet.
#9 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

With my last baby, she came two days after I noticed my mucus plug and bloody show (pretty much at the same time), but this time, it is a day later and no labor yet.
#10 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 03:54 PM

My plug has been coming out over 4 days and looks like boogers -- no blood at all. Wish the darn thing was attached to a timer so we could use it to actually predict labor . With my first, I lost the plug and went into labor the next day.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#11 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 AM

My plug looked just like several tablespoons of snot. Seriously. It was a shock because I was like "Isn't that supposed to come out of my nose?" I went into labor about 8 days later. There was no blood until after labor started.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#12 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 PM

at first I had little blobs of like, dark yellow or light brown jelly like snot - like would come out of my nose if I had a bad cold.

then the next morning, I got a big, pretty dry and solid [it would've taken an effort to split it in two, I bet it would've stretched pretty far first], ball of white goo, in my memory seems like almost as big as a golf ball, with a few brown streaks through it.

then nothing for a couple of days, then this morning there was more of the yellow/brown snot stuff.
#13 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 02:32 AM

So three days after posting that I had lost my plug she arrived! It was a good predictor that it was imminent. So happy to have her here and part of our lives! Good luck to all you other mamas awaiting the arrive of your precious ones!
#14 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 04:10 PM

Yay congratulations!!!!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page