Talk to me about preeclampsia, bedrest, and delivery - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I despise mag. I also don't get the muscle relaxant with a muscle contractant. Can we deny mag?

What is the difference between mild medium and severe pre e. It all sounds horrific.

Did I mention I hate mag? I also hate pitocin :P I was induced and on mag for 3 days but the first day was a med to soften the cervix.

Next time can i deny the mag and cant they just be happy with watching for a seizure?
#32 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
I despise mag. I also don't get the muscle relaxant with a muscle contractant. Can we deny mag?

What is the difference between mild medium and severe pre e. It all sounds horrific.

Did I mention I hate mag? I also hate pitocin :P I was induced and on mag for 3 days but the first day was a med to soften the cervix.

Next time can i deny the mag and cant they just be happy with watching for a seizure?
You'd be watching for seizure, stroke, and fetal distress. I know it seems like it doesn't make sense - and I agree it's an odd combination because a published side effect of Pitocin is raising blood pressure - but I wouldn't decline the mag.

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#33 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I understand not liking mag... for a lot of women, it's not a pleasant drug.

HOWEVER, this is one situation where this drug is life saving. They can't just "watch for a seizure" because it happens so quickly. Once you are seizing, the possibility serious damage is already being done to you and your baby. That's like saying "can't they just watch for death"? Well, yeah, they can... but rather than try to resuscitate you, it's better to try to prevent death in the first place.

Believe me... I'm not big on modern medicine in a lot of ways either. I don't think doctors or hospitals are perfect by any stretch of the imagination. However, if you have pre-e, you've got to take the condition as seriously as it warrants. Medical interventions for a pre-e patient during delivery saves lives.

Visit the Pre-Eclampsia Foundation. You'll find a lot of information and support there. You'll also, sadly, find many grim reminders of how serious pre-e is. Many mamas there have lots there babies to pre-e... and there are several husbands that post on that board that lost their wives to eclamptic seizures.

Having said all of that... it's your legal right to deny any kind of medication or treatment (as far as I know). So, yes, you could deny mag. BUT you may have a really hard time finding a hospital or doctor who would be willing to attend your birth if you were refusing mag. And if you have pre-e, your not going to find any midwives worth their salt willing to deliver you at home either.

I know this feels like all your choices are stripped away when you have pre-e. But... that's life. No one wants to get pre-e, and no one is excited about the mag either. But if I accidentally cut my thumb off slicing a bagel, I couldn't just refuse to seek medical treatment because I didn't like stitches and expect to somehow come out of this with my thumb intact. KWIM? Life is unfair. Pre-e is unfair. And if we want to come through this with the highest chance of survival for ourselves and our babies, we have to suck it up and do treatments we don't necessarily like.

I hope that made some sense.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#34 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post

HOWEVER, this is one situation where this drug is life saving. They can't just "watch for a seizure" because it happens so quickly. Once you are seizing, the possibility serious damage is already being done to you and your baby. That's like saying "can't they just watch for death"? Well, yeah, they can... but rather than try to resuscitate you, it's better to try to prevent death in the first place.

Believe me... I'm not big on modern medicine in a lot of ways either. I don't think doctors or hospitals are perfect by any stretch of the imagination. However, if you have pre-e, you've got to take the condition as seriously as it warrants. Medical interventions for a pre-e patient during delivery saves lives.

Visit the Pre-Eclampsia Foundation. You'll find a lot of information and support there. You'll also, sadly, find many grim reminders of how serious pre-e is. Many mamas there have lots there babies to pre-e... and there are several husbands that post on that board that lost their wives to eclamptic seizures.

Having said all of that... it's your legal right to deny any kind of medication or treatment (as far as I know). So, yes, you could deny mag. BUT you may have a really hard time finding a hospital or doctor who would be willing to attend your birth if you were refusing mag. And if you have pre-e, your not going to find any midwives worth their salt willing to deliver you at home either.

I know this feels like all your choices are stripped away when you have pre-e. But... that's life. No one wants to get pre-e, and no one is excited about the mag either. But if I accidentally cut my thumb off slicing a bagel, I couldn't just refuse to seek medical treatment because I didn't like stitches and expect to somehow come out of this with my thumb intact. KWIM? Life is unfair. Pre-e is unfair. And if we want to come through this with the highest chance of survival for ourselves and our babies, we have to suck it up and do treatments we don't necessarily like.

This is well-put. Pre-eclampsia is an extremely scary and poorly-understood condition. There is no cure and the only treatment is delivery. Magnesium clearly prevents seizures. I'm all for unmedicalized birth and would homebirth if I could, but I think it would be irresponsible not to deliver in a hospital because I am at such high risk for pre-eclampsia.

Explore the preeclampsia.org information and forums. Many of the moms there are incredibly knowledgeable - I could never explain pree as well as some of them can!

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#35 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post

I practically begged to be admitted to the hospital and put on mag during my last pregnancy. My BP was scary high and I was terrified that I would seize in the middle of the night and my baby and I would die.

Mag. sulfate saves lives. Taking a bath in epsom salts is not the same thing. Mag. sulfate is given intravenously. No, it's not pleasant stuff to be on. But it is extremely effective, and IMO, refusing it when being on it is medically indicated would be foolish and risky.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#36 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Mild preeclampsia is defined as 2 blood pressure readings of at least 140/90, taken at least 6 hours apart, and at least 300mg of protein in a 24-hour urine specimen.

Severe preeclampsia is BP of 140/90 or more plus at least 5 grams of protein; OR 300mg+ of protein plus BPs of 160/100, and/or other symptoms such as severe headaches not relieved by Tylenol, severe hyperreflexia, clonus, visual disturbances, and a few other symptoms I can't recall off the top of my head.

There is no medium preeclampsia.

It is horrific. Babies die from preeclampsia. Mothers die from it. The only cure is delivery of the placenta, but a mother can develop preeclampsia up to 6 weeks postpartum. A father recently visited the Preeclampsia Foundation forums after his wife died from postpartum eclampsia despite never having preeclampsia.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#37 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 06:09 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page