Tell me your story: What were you feeling like 24 hours after delivery? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray's Mommy View Post
1st birth --i felt like a mack truck had driven over me 5 times (hospital birth, pit, narcotics, epi--then no drugs for pushing over 3 hours)
2nd birth--just tired & exhilerated (homebirth)
3rd birth--still waiting to find out!

No life altering decisions for me until at least 3 days after the births & before the exhaustion sets in from learning your new normal.
I have only had one birthing experience and that was EXACLTY it! (well except the narcotics part...but I also had the pit and epi and then had it turned off before pushing).

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 10:33 AM

OH! I should also add that at that point I was terrified to poop and didn't go for like four days! lol (I also had fissures so it hurt like heck)

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#33 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I felt great 24 hours out. A bit crampy still, and sore (like I had a hard work-out), but very good. Totally clear minded and ready for just about anything! (I have been known to go shopping within 24 hours of birth.)
This was me. We hit Target and the grocery store the next day. We went for a walk around the neighborhood too so DD could see where she lived.

obstruct livery vehicles

#34 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Exhilirated, exhausted, somewhat sore, but I alternated Vicodin and Ibuprofen, and those cold packs the hosp gave me were fabulous for treating my tear. I don't remember having a lot of afterpains, just soreness from the tear and being tired.

What I remember most is being unable to sleep because I was worried about DS the whole time. If we were cosleeping, I worried, if he was in the bassinet or with DH, I worried. I just couldn't drink enough of him in to feel satisfied.

I also had a bit of temporary PTSD, probably related to the pitocin birth. It wasn't a hellish birth by any means, but I remember several times drifting off and snapping awake terrified, thinking "I can't push anymore, I already tore, don't make me push!" That went away after a few days.

I never had big problems with the potty issue: they gave me colace and I ate a high fiber diet, so a little sore but no problems there. The worst thing was for about two months after I had really sore hips, especially after lying down. I tend to think it was a combination of ligaments returning to normal and referred pain from my tear.
#35 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 04:49 PM

I had a NCB in a hospital, and mostly remember being on the most incredible high of my life! I should have been exhausted, but I was too full of energy, to the point that I got shakey a few times. I could not stop staring at my newborn, I could not stop thinking about my labor, and how it felt when I had finally pushed past DS's head and the feeling of his little body coming out of mine. I wanted to talk about it SO bad, but DH was passed out, and when I did try to talk, I was so emotionally raw still, I would stutter and ramble. I was smiling so much my face actually hurt. I remember one of the Peds that came in to check on DS said I could not have possibly just given birth, because I was out of bed, and bouncing all over the room, talking up a storm and laughing for no reason. I was like a madwoman lol.

I dont remember pain, I just felt sore, and very very swollen. Like my vagina was 10xs the size it should have been or something. Very strange feeling! I did have a PPH and was then told to cool it and rest in the bed. I do remember being terrified to poop. The feeling of it was so simalar to birthing DS, it freaked me out, and scared me for some reason.

Absolutely no way, under any circumstances should I have made any kind of major decision. I was so out of my mind (in a good way) and so.... just HEAVY with the thoughts and feelings of birth, that even if I made any kind of decision, I would not have been able to communicate it in a coherent way.

I wish I could re-live the birth, and those first few days over and over again.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#36 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 04:56 PM

With ds(now 3) AMAZING! Sore, tired but not bad at all. was walking the three flights of stairs at Inlaws, having visitors it was great

With dd(now 12m) HORRID!! WORSE THEN CHILDBIRTH!! She nursed every 10 min causing major pp contractions, to the point I though I was in labour having another baby(Im not even joking) I was bleeding more then I though was posible. I couldn't carry dd, I could barely walk our bungelow to the washroom to the point dh was going to buy me a bed pan. I think my best friend's boyfriend summed it up when they came for a visit...:"SHIT YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'VE BEEN THROUGH A WAR" I felt I had.

I should add that both of mine were HB same midwives. Ds delivered at inlaws 3.5 h of labour/pushing. Dd delivered at our new house 45 m labour/pushing everything.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#37 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 PM

I get really horrendous afterpains - at least as bad as active labor. I also have not had any sort of post-birth euphoria, just relief that it's over. My breasts are getting sore and hurting from all that initial breastfeeding. And other parts of the body feel sore or uncomfortable.

Usually I feel very happy with and amazed by the baby, which is obviously the best part. I basically want to stay curled up in my little cozy room with the baby and not deal with anything. That said, I think that if I had to make an important decision, I could and would. I'm not sure it would be wise or the best thing - I tend to feel a bit emotionally overwhelmed - but if necessary it could be done. If it could be postponed, such a decision should be postponed for at least a few weeks.

I can't tolerate any mother-baby separation, so the baby stays with me the whole time.

Visits by family should be no more than 10 min MAX. I hate visitors right after the baby's born.

I was, however, responding to work emails within 24 hours of the baby's birth. I felt obligated to not let clients or my employer down. I'll be doing the same again this time around, I'm sure. Sigh.
#38 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 PM

I was surprised to find that 24 hours after giving birth to my son, I not only felt good, I felt great. The only part of me that hurt at all were my arms... they were really sore, probably due to the weird way I was pulling on the birth stool.

The whole way too emotional wave of hormones didn't hit me until around 2.5 days after birth... basically when I went home.

So if I'd had to make an important decision, I'd have wanted to make it the day after birth, not uh, two days later.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#39 of 40 Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 PM

My daughter is 16 days old and that first day seems like forever ago! Hah, I guess the lack of sleep over the past month or so has done a number on me.

In the first 24 hours after birth I felt like my body had been hit by a car. I actually mean that because I have been in a few cycling accidents in the past where I was hit by a car. My body was sore and achy. My leg muscles were exhausted from squatting for long periods of time to open up my pelvis. My uterus was crampy and I actually took Advil for the cramps which I never do for menstrual cramping. Mostly, I think my body was just exhausted. I had prodromal labor for two weeks before my lil' lady arrived and a lot of sleepless nights. My labor was about 13 hours long and only 4-5 of those hours were hard labor. I had very easy pushing phase that lasted around 45 minutes. I had a tiny tear that my midwife said didn't have to have stitching, but the hospital preferred her to put one stitch in.

That being said, every single day I felt better. Now two weeks later my body feels back to normal minus the very full boobies!

As for making HUGE decisions shortly after birth... I would put off any life altering choices until a few weeks later. I don't know anyone who isn't a mess of emotions, hormone changes, and sleeplessness in those first few weeks. If those choices and decisions can wait until a month later that would probably be best.

Hope that helped!

Anarchist Mama to Micah born 09/22/04, Zola born 01/24/10, and Dalia born at home on 08/02/12. Trying my best to raise radical and amazing humans. Labor doula and full-time Women's Studies student trying to make it all work!

#40 of 40 Old 02-10-2010, 04:44 PM

I should also echo the scared to poop sentiment! I have been terrified to poop with both births. With my first I had tearing and about 8 stitches that made me afraid to use the bathroom the first day or so. I couldn't relax enough to poop for about 3 days. Boy did it feel great when I finally did!

This time around I think I was mostly just scared because of my previous experience. It took me a few days.

Anarchist Mama to Micah born 09/22/04, Zola born 01/24/10, and Dalia born at home on 08/02/12. Trying my best to raise radical and amazing humans. Labor doula and full-time Women's Studies student trying to make it all work!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page