Tell me your story: What were you feeling like 24 hours after delivery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey experienced mamas -

Would you mind sharing your stories about how you were feeling 24-hours after delivery? Physically, mentally, emotionally - all of it in it's gory, glorious, details.

I was just thinking about how I feel 24 hours after delivery. At that point, I am dealing with the uterine cramping, the bleeding, the surging hormones as my milk comes in and my body adjusts to not being pregnant, and my raw & swollen girlie bits. While I am elated, I am also exhausted - not just from the delivery, but the last excruciatingly sleepless weeks of my pregnancy, the every 4-hour checks by the nurses, and the visits from the family. And that's after a natural, normal, short delivery without any residual effects of pain meds either.

Also, I would love to know if you would you have felt comfortable making major, life-altering legal decisions 24 hours after you delivered? If not then, when do you think you might have been up for it? A week later? A month? 6 weeks? A couple of months?

Thanks - I look forward to hearing what other mama's experiences are like 24 hours after baby arrives!

M.

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
#2 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM

very sore and exhausted... I wouldn't call it worse than childbirth but man it sucks lol... can hardly enjoy the little one and people just want to come see you and NO I just want to be alone lol.

as for the legal decision... it depends on what it was. divorce? no. robbing a bank? heck no. child custody? probably.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I personally *would* be up for making major, life-changing decisions (unless they involved fertility...it usually takes me until day 2 to even think that maybe someday I might want to do this again).

Sore pretty well describes it but otherwise I feel relatively normal. The weepies don't usually hit me until day 2-3 and then they hit hard. Not sure I'd make life-changing decisions then for a few days.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#4 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 03:58 PM

I was SO dang tired (48 hour labor through 2 sleepless nights and then a newborn who nursed every 10 minutes the 3rd night, plus a PPH). Like overwhelmingly tired.

Everything else hit on day 2 - milk came in, stitches started hurting, and so forth. I don't know how well I could have handled making major decisions honestly.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#5 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Crampy mostly, but nothing the ibuprofen doesn't take care of. When I had PPH, then I felt more weak and tired, compared to when I didn't. Mostly I'm over the moon with joy and the rest is totally bearble. FWIW, my husband was still recovering from surgery 6 days prior and had to go back to the ER within 12 hours of my birth with #4. I was totally fine taking care of him, and all of my kids. In fact, the day after that, I took them all to our community parade! LOL

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#6 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 04:49 PM

Let's see... I gave birth 6pm-ish on Monday. Then spent 3 hours trying to get the placenta out, that sucked bigtime. Then spent 3 or 4 hours in the ER getting stitched up. (I do remember I was still on the birth high there, bigtime). Went home, passed out. (Not like that, just fell asleep, and hard).

The next day, I was sore but clearheaded, sure. I wasn't really feeling up to cleaning the house or cooking or anything but I didn't spend the day in bed either. I felt in full command of my facilities.

In fact, I was in great shape until maybe a week or 10 days later, then I crashed. For months.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#7 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 04:55 PM

I remember:

My bottom finally came to life (I had lidocaine/stitches)
I finally became aware of my legs and knees from birthing (sore muscles?)
I realized my teeth were dirty and I needed a shower.
And I had a terrible, horribly case of cabin fever
I also felt...light...I think part muscle fatigue, part missing baby tummy haha

I don't recall any afterpains. And I had a really nice birth high.

The cabin fever was strange though. I mean, I HAD to leave the house. We went shopping, we visited family and friends...I even started my ebay stuff 2 days after birth. I think it's b/c my labor was so long and we stayed inside the whole time.

ETA: I think the reason I felt good at 24 hours is because we literally all 3 of us slept like rocks. I barely recall latching her on a couple times and that was it. My mom came over, finished cleaning, dropped off some goodies and dinner. We were dead to the world for an entire day. I hope that works out the same way this time around!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#8 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 04:56 PM

1st birth --i felt like a mack truck had driven over me 5 times (hospital birth, pit, narcotics, epi--then no drugs for pushing over 3 hours)
2nd birth--just tired & exhilerated (homebirth)
3rd birth--still waiting to find out!

No life altering decisions for me until at least 3 days after the births & before the exhaustion sets in from learning your new normal.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#9 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 05:45 PM

I had a 24 hour labor which lasted all through the night. DD was born at 6:30am-ish.

The first thing I felt after delivering the placenta, being stitched up and settling into bed:

HUNGRY

After eating half the cafeteria, I was tired physically, but mentally extremely alert. I wanted to talk all about it, and stare at my baby all day. That lasted quite a while. I know I slept at the hospital, but I don't specifically remember it. I'm sure I didn't sleep much, and it wasn't a concern to me. I couldn't have even if I tried.

I was really sore, and kind of shocked at how much bleeding there was. I didn't experience any cramping sort of after pains. My stomach felt empty and physically weird, but I also felt a sense of emotional detachment that took a few weeks to get over.

All in all I was in really high spirits, and although physically I was in pain I don't remember it being a big issue for me. It was annoying at most. And that isn't because the pain was tollerable, but because I was on a beautiful birth high. I certainly was in no condition to make any serious decisions and would have been irritated if anyone would have asked.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#10 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 05:47 PM

I had a NCB in a hospital and felt pretty good the day after. Although I was very, very tired because DD did not sleep hardly at all during the night. In addition, it seemed like every time she and I would doze-off a doc, nurse, or MW assistant would come into my room and want something (check baby's temp, get some blood, check my BP, look at my bottom, etc.). That was super annoying. My bottom was a bit sore, but my arms and chest were even more sore. Nothing that ibuprofen didn't take care of. I was also starving. Like so hungry even the hospital food looked delicious!

I still felt very joyful. And ready to go home.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#11 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 PM

The first 48 hours, i am still high on endorphins, and feel like I can take on the world. I made a huge breakfast feast after DD1 was born, and we had a birthday party for DD1 12 hours after DD2 was born. It's the third day that hits me hard. Milk comes in, my muscles start to feel the burn, and my hormones start dropping.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#12 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Let me put it this way, I'd rather do childbirth all over again than the first 72 hours or so after. I've had pph after both of my births though so I don't know what a "normal" after birth is.

I honestly don't remember the first 4 days or so of my second's life because I was so bad off (I refused transfer for some stupid reason.)

There is no way I could (or should) have made life-altering decisons until they were at least 2 months old (with my son, probably more like 4 months old.) It was just that bad!

Mama of three.

#13 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM

I felt great 24 hours out. A bit crampy still, and sore (like I had a hard work-out), but very good. Totally clear minded and ready for just about anything! (I have been known to go shopping within 24 hours of birth.)

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#14 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM

I would never make a life-altering decision in the first three months post partum.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#15 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluhia View Post
I would never make a life-altering decision in the first three months post partum.
ditto.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#16 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM

24 hours out i felt incredibly proud and high and wonderful. Physically like a horse had kicked me in the vulva, but otherwise marvellous, and certainly joyous enough emotionally not to mind the kicked vagina feeling. I was at home, so no unwanted guests, and when people DID visit i felt like the Queen of Sheba holding court from my bed Day 3 my hormones crashed and i began to cry, 12 hours later my milk came in, by 14 days out i was so sleep deprived i was seeing things.

I made an incredibly life-changing decision 8-weeks out (split from my DD's father) and it turned out to be one of the wisest things i have ever done (and it wasn't a violent or abusive situation where ANYone could see i should go, it was far more subtly unhappy). So i wouldn't put limits on myself.
#17 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Depended on the delivery.. my last came on his own, and I could have gotten up for a run the next day.. my first two births were LONG inductions, though and I could have slept for days straight instead..
#18 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostinkinhappy View Post
I was just thinking about how I feel 24 hours after delivery. At that point, I am dealing with the uterine cramping, the bleeding, the surging hormones as my milk comes in and my body adjusts to not being pregnant, and my raw & swollen girlie bits. While I am elated, I am also exhausted - not just from the delivery, but the last excruciatingly sleepless weeks of my pregnancy, the every 4-hour checks by the nurses, and the visits from the family. And that's after a natural, normal, short delivery without any residual effects of pain meds either.

Also, I would love to know if you would you have felt comfortable making major, life-altering legal decisions 24 hours after you delivered? If not then, when do you think you might have been up for it? A week later? A month? 6 weeks? A couple of months?
M.
I'm 24 hours after delivery now (well, maybe 27). I actually feel pretty good. My labor/birth was ideal, I'm healing well, baby is doing great... and this is in stark contrast to what my last birth was like.

That's probably why I'm so content - my last birth I felt horrible 24 hours later (labor was LOOOONG, baby ended up in the NICU, I spent the first night at home without him, pumping, crying... traveled back and forth to the hospital in a taxi because my DH couldn't bear to see the baby in the hospital... etc). Let me tell you, I was DEPRESSED last time. And completely emotionally/physically spent. I felt like I had just been in a serious car accident. I had post dramatic stress disorder for a couple of years after that (which, BTW, can be induced by any event YOU find traumatic, despite how traumatic it might seem to others).

So... I think it really depends on your experience, and whatever you're feeling is valid - your genuine response to the events/hormones/etc.

If you don't feel ready to make legal decisions, then don't do it! Despite feeling well I wouldn't want to right now. I didn't even feel like taking a shower this morning, which I normally look forward to every morning. I just wanted to hang with my baby and not THINK too much! Not DO too much... just let my body relax and enjoy.

However, we are planning on moving across the country for DH's job in two months!!! I agreed to that before giving birth, and who knows if I'll be ready then!

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#19 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 PM

With my last babe, which was #6, I was on the biggest high for the first 36hrs. My labor was 6 1/2hrs, gave birth in the bathroom (our 3rd planned UC)and sat there on the floor nursing and waiting for the placenta for about 45mins. I got in the shower after placenta came (me and babe) and we enjoyed a long warm shower together. Dh and kids cut the cord and I went out in the kitchen to cook everyone dinner while our new little man got fawned over by the other 5 big siblings. When I came into the living room with dh's plate, I found him and ds totally conked out in the recliner all covered up with a blanket (Awww). I asked him what he was so tired for and just got some type of mumbly sleep response. I cracked up, him lying there snoring and me buzzing around like a bee on speed! The kids and I hung out in the living room watching TV and bonding with the new babe for the evening, and later on I roused Dh and we all headed to bed. I had so much adrenaline I couldnt sleep and contemplated going downstairs to clean the bathroom but told myself to chill and just left it for someone else.
The next morning got up about 8:00am, showered, took a pain pill (after pains were starting to break thru the high) ad went to the grocery store with dh and new ds to grab a few munchies. We had some company drop by that afternoon, we visited and by then my body was saying "hello..... youve just given birth here.... have some afterpains why dontcha". They kicked in killer after that (theyve gotten wretched the more babes I have) and I knew it was time for me to head to bed or the couch and spend a good day off my feet. After a couple days rest I was ready to take on the world again. I think Id be ok to take on a big decision in the 24 hrs after birth, Im pretty clear headed and focused then. During labor however I am in my own little world and have to be completely alone. If anyone comes near me Im like a mama lion. Wouldnt have to worry about divorce at a time like that, murder would be the more likeky. lol.
Looking forward to doing it all again soon with #7

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

#20 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 PM

I felt tired and had a tear that was quite sore. I also had bad afterpains. But I felt terrific to not be pregnant (I remember being so excited that when I went to pee, I actually had a lot of pee!), and emotionally I felt great--I actually was prepared to feel rotten post-partum after all the things I'd heard, but instead my spirits were mostly up in the days and weeks after delivering. I felt happy and calm most of the time. I don't think this is a typical experience, though, and I'm trying not to count on it happening again. I would probably avoid major decisions for a couple weeks, in any case.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#21 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I second the kicked in the vulva by a horse sentiment. I was moving very gingerly. I felt so excited and happy. I was strangely really entranced by the hurting feelings and I was trying to figure out what hurt where and how I could move around without making things worse. It was like a game. I went home from the hospital AMA at about this point because I was ready to just cuddle with my wonderful baby and wonderful husband.

Depends on the major life decision. I was pretty clear headed and responsible and I'm very good at knowing, "Hm. I shouldn't make this call until I'm rational."

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#22 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 AM

I tend to be shocky after perfect births, so lightheaded, tired, foggy, no energy, major afterbirth pains...I wouldn't make life-changing decisions until my life got back to normal, for me it typically takes 3 months to feel like I've got the hang of a new family routine, energy is coming back, no longer sleep-deprived...it's just hard to think about major repercussions choices may have when I'm sleep-deprived.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#23 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 AM

I was actually feeling good 24 hours after birth for both of mine. I guess the hormone surge gives me lots of energy. With my dd I was getting ready to leave the hospital with my first child and it was so surreal to me but I was happy and not too tired even without sleep from laboring the other day. I did have a tear and it was a little hard to walk especially up stairs but I didn't need pain meds or anything.

With my ds I had a great birth experience and was sleeping at 24 hours since he was born at 5 am but I felt great that night and the next morning. We left the hospital early and I was putting my dd and a friend ds up in a carrier the next day. I got up immediately after birth and felt more energized than I did in a long time. The afterpains eventually came but the first few weeks I have extra energy and somehow the sleep deprivation didn't register for awhile.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#24 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 AM

I have no memory of what I was like 24 hours after giving birth to daughter #1. The first week was a big blur. I was not just sore and exhausted, I was not mentally there. I look like a zombie in the photos. After one week I ended up in the ER with an infection. After being treated for that, my fog cleared right up. In this case, I'd say I shouldn't have been making any major decisions for at least a week.

24 hours after giving birth to daughter #2, I was very sore and swollen but happy, excited, clear-headed, and just wanted to cuddle up and bond with baby and hubby. So it was annoying to me that my husband's mother decided to come to town immediately and stay with us uninvited for 2 days. Not to help out - she didn't do anything to make our lives easier - she just came to visit. This normally wouldn't be a problem but she is a chain-smoking alcoholic. I tactfully tried to get her to stay in a nearby hotel, our treat, since we didn't have a guest room, but she just got mad. I was really sad when she was in the back seat with us on the ride home from the hospital, smelling like vodka and cigarettes, and constantly telling my husband how to drive! I do love her because she is my husband's mom and my daughter's grandma, but I felt a lot better after she left and we had time to ourselves to bond. I was good to make big decisions within a few days, I guess.

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#25 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 AM

Dd1-hospital birth, could barely walk from pain, stitches, hemmoroids, exhausted, elated, but really really tired and no way would I have made a life altering decision (unless we are talking an emergency type thing then you gotta do what you gotta do)

Dd2-homebirth, a bit tired and only a little sore, super high, went for a small walk around the block. But overall 100 times better then the first birth. Probably could have made a decision like that but wouldn't have wanted to simply because I was still high from the awesome birth and still a bit tired.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#26 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thank you all for the insightful stories you have shared. I am always amazed at the richness of the varieties of human experience and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about all of yours. Thank you so much for being willing to share them with me (and the rest of the mamas here at MDC).

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
#27 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 AM

It's funny. I don't remember soreness at all. I had a 2nd degree tear that had stitches, but I never felt a thing from it. I was worn out, like I had just climbed a mountain. All my muscles were tired (the first thing I did after giving birth and getting stitched and checked was climb the stairs from our basement - I didn't think I'd make it), including my pelvic floor, which made getting up from a chair difficult. The only pain I remember came from my baby's tiny mouth trying to nurse on my big nipple. My midwife says I have "gumdrop nipples." Boo. They were cracked and bleeding, and I didn't want to nurse him. There was a lot of crying and thinking about going to buy formula. We got through it, and he just stopped nursing about a month ago, when my milk dried up b/c of my current pregnancy.
I wouldn't make any big decisions for three months, either. I was not right in the head - very emotional due to the hormones and sleep deprivation.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#28 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my first I was very sore and tired. Nursing hurt like hell (I didn't know I was supposed to have lanolin on my nipples!). It was hard to sit because my butt and vagina hurt. Mentally I was doing well! Still in the 'birth fog', but doing pretty well!

With my second, I was tired but not nearly as sore. My vagina was not swollen and I remember taking a shower and being able to actually wash the area, which I wasn't able to do after my first because of how sore it was. It also was a lot smaller and I remember thinking how I didn't realize it got so swollen during pregnancy. My nipples were doing well because now I had lanolin. Mentally I was doing well, just tired and a little weak because I lost a bit more blood with #2. Oh, but my abs and glutes were sore! For some reason during the last parts of labor the only pain relief I could get was from tensing my glutes very hard.

I had both my babies at home.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#29 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 AM

Moved from I'm Pregnant.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#30 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 AM

24 hours after my 1st birth (totally natural, med-free hospital birth), I felt physically great-- energetic, on a birth high, thrilled and exhilarated. I was totally sleep-deprived though, and DH and I say we should never have made any major decisions during the 1st YEAR of DS1's life (we were seriously, seriously sleep-deprived).

This time around, at 24hrs post birth (traumatic emergency c-section under general anesthesia) I was cathed, IV'ed and vomiting horribly, with diarrhea to boot. Turns out general anesthesia whacks out your digestive system, and since they use it so rarely in the hospital, everyone forgot about that. I was seriously sick for about 24 hours. Mentally I was in no place to make any decisions about anything!

Now, though, 10 days out, I feel like I'd be capable of making a life-altering decision. This baby sleeps, that's the difference!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page