Thermal regulation and early discharge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I haven't posted on here in ages, but I have a question that someone might be able to answer for me.

I am having a hospital birth and would like to come home as soon as reasonable afterwards. I've been told that the pediatricians insist on holding the baby for 24 hours if it's a normal GBS-neg vaginal birth, or 48 hours if it's a normal GBS-pos vaginal birth (even if you got the antibiotics more than 4 hours prior to delivery).

If every goes well and we're both healthy and feeling good, I am planning on discharging myself against medical advice. Where I gave birth before, they requested that mother and baby stay under observation for 4 hours after the birth and that seems reasonable to me. But it is colder here - towards the end of March I expect temps somewhere between 20F and 40F. We have a 25-30 minute ride home from the hospital. At what point would it be safe to take a newborn off of my naked chest, dress him, and stick him in a car seat for that long? Obviously the heat will be going in the car, but I'm still a little nervous.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

User Tag List