Showering same day as hospital birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is fairly trivial compared to most of the other things I'm doing to prepare for the birth of my ds in April (my 2nd.... dd is 2 1/2)

I had an uncomplicated vaginal hospital birth last time with an epidural. The only sticking point at the end was that I did bleed quite a bit. I felt woozy afterwards, but was up and walking farily quickly and within an hour or so, felt pretty good. I had dd in the afternoon, and would have loved to take a shower so I could change into my non hospital gown and feel refreshed, but the nurse said I should wait until the next morning. This isn't really a big deal, but I was wondering how cantankerous to be this time around... Technically, if I don't ask, maybe the nurse won't say anything and I'll just do it anyways... or I suppose I could just sneak in for a quick splash. I know the reason is probably that they don't want mamas to faint, but if I'm feeling good, and I don't take a hot shower, do you think I'd be in the clear? It made me feel sooo much better to be fresh clean and not sweaty and disheveled anymore! Just curious about other's experiences. I am planning on a natural birth using hypno babies this time, and using a midwife to help make sure I have the support I need, so maybe keeping things without the epidural would give me more freedom of movement anyways.

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 04:41 AM

i've had two natural births in hospitals (no meds) and was up and moving within the hour with both. there were never any restrictions on showering, walking down the hall, or anything.

good luck and happy birthing!!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM

I had two non-medicated hospital births, and both times I was in the shower within an hour or so after their births.

autismribbon.gif

Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaki View Post
I had two non-medicated hospital births, and both times I was in the shower within an hour or so after their births.
This for me. Maybe even 45 mins after DS2. The nurse on duty stood outside the bathroom door convinced I would fall or something.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Ditto no movement restrictions on my natural hospital births. I took a shower and changed into my after birth clothes (didn't do the gown thing) with in the first half hour to hour.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM

I was incredibly sore after my birth and my bladder was shot. I stood up and was done peeing before I reached the bathroom. I had to call maintenance every so often to get them to clean up after me. So I waited until the next morning. I couldn't move very well. I had just settled back into bed when my hubby walked in announcing that my entire Sunday school class was in the hallway waiting to see me!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 AM

With #1 I had an epi that didn't want to wear off on one leg. I had DS at 6:08 pm and one leg was still numb 5 hours later. The shower didn't happen till the next day. With #2, the epi didn't work, so I essentially had a natural birth. I was so jazzed over the birth that I got a shower right away, even though I'd gone 24 hours w/out sleep.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:56 AM

No one told me when I could or couldn't shower after my natural hospital birth, but I was very sore and woozy and had to wait until the next day. It felt good, but I was still woozy then.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 PM

I had an NCB with my DD and was encouraged to get in the shower by the staff! I couldn't pee and standing under the running water helped my muscles "remember" what to do. I think I took a nice long bath first (my upper body was pretty sore) and then a shower an hour or two after DD was born. It was heavenly.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
Old 02-23-2010, 02:36 PM

I have always been ecouraged to shower when I wanted to. In fact, I was encouraged to shower to help me pee as I had a hard time peeing after my births. Felt great! Was within 45 minutes probably.

4 kids under 10
Old 02-23-2010, 02:46 PM

I've had two hospital births with no meds and both times I showered a few hours later. It felt absolutely heavenly, I have to say. I would guess it has to do with 1) whether you had meds and they had worn off and 2) how much blood you lost. Although I had a bit of problem with bleeding both times, I never felt woozy when I got up from the bed. So, I'd be careful, you don't want to fall in the shower--at least make sure someone else is in the room with you or the nurse knows when you go into the shower.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM

I had a shower within a few hours after both my births. I don't know how much bleeding you had, but that may have been the reason the nurse wanted you to wait. Or the epidural.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:00 PM

I've fainted in the shower a couple of times (not birth-related though). I think something about the hot water and steam can cause it if you are woozy already. One of the falls resulted in some nasty bruises on my back from the faucet/handles, yuck!

So I guess I'd say to not have the water on too hot and maybe have someone within earshot, just in case.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
i've had two natural births in hospitals (no meds) and was up and moving within the hour with both. there were never any restrictions on showering, walking down the hall, or anything.

good luck and happy birthing!!
Yes... that's me, too.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 PM

i couldn't move / get out of bed until after they removed the epidural, which they didn't do until the next day. they were still pumping meds in me from it b/c of the c-section.

was i ever so happy to get the cath out and be able to stand up! and, the shower was nice, but rather akward b/c of the IV. having a plastic bag on it and only being able to use one hand was tough.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
Old 02-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Considering the blood loss, waiting might not have been bad advice. I had pretty massive blood loss last time and alway felt great while sitting which led to some near accidents when I tried to do too much.

However, only you really know how you feel. As long as you are sure you're fine (like test stand for a while first) I don't see why you couldn't stand your ground and insist on a shower.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
With my 2nd birth I took a shower within 8 hours of my C/S and it was about the same amount of time with my vaginal birth.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:18 PM

No restrictions here either. I took a shower within a couple hours of DS's birth. In the hospital.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:24 PM

I had a bath with #3 that had PPH, due to the wooziness. But #4 I got up and got a shower within the first hour because I didn't bleed too much. It was a quick one though, just the easiest way to clean up IMO!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
I have always been ecouraged to shower when I wanted to. In fact, I was encouraged to shower to help me pee as I had a hard time peeing after my births. Felt great! Was within 45 minutes probably.
This was me too. I could not imagine telling a mom who just gave birth she could not shower, unless she was unable to stand. BUT I have no experience personally with Epidural, but have been present as doula for moms who did have one and once they were able to walk they were able to shower.
I would hold my ground on that one. It is complete laziness on the nurses part, there is no reason they can not be near if you need assistance, that is their job.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM

I delivered DS at 2:28am, we were in our post partum room at 5:28, I slept for an hour and a half and then called the nurse for a shower. They came right away, they just wanted to be there when I got up the first time.

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 PM

I showered within a couple of hours of my unmedicated, unassisted homebirth. I bled less than two cups but for some reason I got very woozy and almost nauseous in the shower. I got out quickly but could have very easily fainted. I felt fantastic before I got in. I wouldn't recommend doing it without a loved one close by if not in the room with you.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had an unmedicated hospital birth. Baby was born around 9:30 am, and I showered later that afternoon. No one told me I couldn't shower earlier - I was just more interested in eating and sleeping, in that order, as I has been laboring all night! I was quite lightheaded for an hour or so after birth, but by the afternoon I was much better.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Great advice everyone! So this time, whether or not I keep things completely unmedicated, I will wait and see how I'm feeling, but if I feel good, then I'll just go for it with dh standing guard at the door. It's always nice to compare notes.

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
Old 02-23-2010, 11:01 PM

I have had to med free hospital births. Both times the nurse just asked that I let her know when I wanted to shower, so she could be there when I got up and moved around to ensure I wasn't woozy/bleeding/etc. With my first I was in the shower an hour later. With my second I felt okay a couple hours later, got up (with nurse and DH there) and had tons of bleeding down my legs and onto the floor. I laid back down, she checked me out and it was not anything worrisome, so I ended up just having DH help me into the tub instead. No hard and fast rules, just that they wanted to make sure I was okay when I got up and did my first big move around.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 PM

With my last birth, I think the nurse said something about waiting until the next day - but I'd already walked into the room on my own feet, and was feeling okay, so I just smiled and said, "I think I'll risk it". She smiled back and said to call her if DH was out of the room so that someone was with the baby. (Baby was rooming in)

I suspect the hospital had a "rule", but no one was really concerned about it.

SAHM to my and and due in summer 2010, married to my best friend.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 PM

I think I had my shower 3 or 4 hours after the birth. For me the priority was food. I wolfed down two trays of bad hospital food that tasted wonderful.

Nobody gave me any problems about showering.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 AM

I think about an hour after DD's nat. hospitalbirth I was up and about but already had visitors knocking so I waited until I got to postpartum room to shower (still bleeding quite a bit....poor visitors were a little shocked when I stood up I think..hehe)

I got to the postpartum room, had more visitors, and just announced I'd be in the shower. The nurses never said anything and my mother pretty much pushed me in telling me how great it would be. And boy, she was right.

It was a little awkward so soon after birth (3rd degree so bending down for my shampoo didn't work so well) and next time I think I'll just ask for DH's help.. but it helped me get off my "I just gave birth! Wheee!" high and kind of wind down so I can eventually get some rest.

Me and DH and DD (2) and expecting #2 11/27!!!!! thumb.gif
Old 02-25-2010, 05:23 AM

So funny to read the different experiences others have had!

I usually shower every-other-day, not daily - so with dd1, I'd showered literally a couple hours before I got to the hospital, and gave birth about three hours later. I didn't *want* a shower, but the nurses were really pushy about wanting me to take a shower right away that morning (gave birth at 4:30am).

And they were pushy about wanting me to shower after dd2, too. I think it might be on their checklist as something I 'should' do before I leave? Anyway - I've read articles here that talked about not washing babe or mom for a day or two after birth (at least), and that apparently being helpful for preventing latch issues etc. I think, if we have a #3 (and if it were in the hospital) - I would bring those articles and tell them that baby and I will wash when we're ready.

Not all who wander are lost.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 AM

For dd1, vaginal hospial birth with epidural, hey had me take a shower about 3 hours or so after the birth with dp's assistance while they measured dd1, etc. Dd2, homebirth, I took a shower maybe about 4 hours after birth. I don't remember when but before I went to bed for the night. Again dp was in the bathroom with me in case I felt weak. So I can't see a medical reason. If you want one but they are concerned for safety ask for a nurse or someone to be with you in the bathroom.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09

User Tag List