Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 04:42 PM

This seems like the old argument, which is harder a long labor or a short labor. Well, I've had both, my first two were very long and dialation took forever, transition was a nightmare. My third was about four hours of hard labor and let me tell you, it was about the same as the transition stage of my other labors, without the exhausting, horrible first 20 some hours. So after my first two, I felt like I had been run over by a truck, with my third I felt great afterwards. And I looked better too! You get transition either way, I guess some people think that a short labor is hard to handle because you go "straight into it" without much preparation. But I would prefer that to hours and hours of pain any day. So it probably just depends on whether or not you are caught off guard by going into labor or what kind of personality you have. Also, if you don't have a long labor to compare it to, I could see how some people would imagine that a long labor is this easy, luxurious thing, lol.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:49 PM

At 36 weeks I was 3 cm and 70 -75% effaced. At 36 weeks 6 days, I had a day of what I thought was braxton hicks and a lot of back pain. At 6 pm that evening at the coaxing and insistence of my dad (via the phone) and my hubby, I marched myself into the hospital and up to L&D for a "quick check of my cervix." I even told the nurse that I was sure it was nothing and "quite possibly indigestion."

I walked in at 6pm and my daughter (DD2) was born at 7:34pm.

It was completely intense and I had a hard time getting on top of the contractions to breathe through them, but luckily I only had an hour of intensity before I was ready to push. I was still 3 cm when I was admitted so I went from 3 cm to 10 cm in less than an hour. She was born posterior so I had back labor and that was hard - but all in all it was my best labor and I felt wonderful afterwards.

DD1 and DS were both long labors (over 17 hrs).

Happy mama to DD reading.gif  DS  drum.gif and DD coolshine.gif and married to an awesome DH jammin.gif.  homeschool.gif
Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetiemommy View Post
My third was about four hours of hard labor and let me tell you, it was about the same as the transition stage of my other labors, without the exhausting, horrible first 20 some hours. So after my first two, I felt like I had been run over by a truck, with my third I felt great afterwards. And I looked better too! You get transition either way, I guess some people think that a short labor is hard to handle because you go "straight into it" without much preparation. But I would prefer that to hours and hours of pain any day.
This. My two hour labor was intense and painful -- like suddenly being hit by a train-- but compared to the last few hours of my posterior back labor it was easy... and I wasn't already worn out and tired when that intensity hit. There's a little bit of shock when you realize you're holding a baby (where did this come from?) but it wasn't too bad. It was much better than being dehydrated from hours of vomitting, or having hours and hours of what seemed like transition (my first labor).
Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 PM

My first was 3-4 hours, and it was like being hit by a truck. There was no build-up, no break between contractions to breathe. I had no midwife until I was pushing, so I had no idea what was going on with my body. It was scary; the shock of having a baby in my arms so fast was overwhelming.

I don't know what will happen this time, but my midwife said she'd found that 6 hours was a very nice length for a labor. So maybe I'll hope for that.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 PM

My labors from start to finish:
baby 1: 3 hrs
baby 2: 1 hr
baby 3: 2 hrs
baby 4: prodromal labor previous night and then a 2 hr labor in morning

No tearing with any of them. First two were hospital births (no pain meds) and last two were home births in water tub.
All very intense but over with quickly.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 PM

I was 41W 4D & my hospital wanted to induce at 42W as their standard. (Although 1 MW I spoke with made it clear she didn't have a problem with mama's declining, and I would have.)
But I decided to go ahead & have my membranes stripped. That was my first VE all pregnancy since the swab for GBS (She did a VE then at my request to confirm position. I was paranoid!)

I was 3 cm & she said stretched to about 4 as she did the stripping. She didn't tell me a % effaced (I didn't want to know, didn't really care since I knew it doesn't mean much in terms of predicting when baby will actually arrive.) but she kept saying, "It's a perfect cervix! Just perfect! I think this is going to work!" I had asked her about coming back to have another sweep & she said I could, but repeated that she thought this would work.

Well, that lady knows her stuff! Ctrx started 2 hours later (I hadn't even had any BH previously!) The 1st hour was so minor, just cramps, I paused for a second from doing laundry & vacuuming, didn't pay close attention to tracking them.

Then I decided to get into our big in-ground pool. Lucky me it was 1:30 on a hot afternoon at that point! Things got a bit more intense in the pool, but still totally manageable.

I got out of the pool at 4:30 only because I felt I had to use the bathroom & I was getting cold. Our pool got obscured by shade by that time of day, so I was cold.) THEN it was intense & painful. But that lasted less than an hour before I felt the urge to push.

The worst it ever got for me was thinking, "Huh, I can see why people want drugs for this." Never, "I can't do this!" or "I want drugs!" But "I can see why others want drugs." That was it!

So, first baby, fast, but awesome! LOL, the worst part was fighting the urge to push for over 30 min!! Had a 20 min drive to the hospital, took a min to get out the door, then into a room at the hospital.

I was SHOCKED by the urge to push - I never imagined 1st stage would be less than 5 hours, with the 1st hour barely being anything. I didn't even call DH to come home from work until I'd been laboring for 2 hours already - and then it was mostly because I didn't have a water proof watch & I was getting sick of having to kick over to the edge of the pool to time ctrx - so I wanted him home to time ctrx for me.

ETA, as I think my story describes, mine was fast, but I had plenty of time to get into it - built up very gradually.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:35 PM

My daughter's two hour labor was intense. The end got pretty excruciating (though my birthing companions say I handled it beautifully ), and pushing was slow and scary, compared to my barrel-through-like-a-train three minute pushing with my son's 4 hour labor. I felt shaky and disoriented after my son's birth, but alert and happy after my daughter's birth.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
Yeah, my pushing phase with DD2 was nothing short of...well, short! It was maybe 2 min. max from the time I moved off my birth ball (thinking I needed to get on hands and knees because my back was achey and I thought we might have a positioning issue), the my water busted (that's seriously the most accurate word ) and she was out like seconds later, I couldn't control my body shooting her out. It was kind of bizarre. It was the first time in the whole 5 hours labor that I made any noise at all...and my word of choice was, "OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH!"
"OUCH OUCH OUCH" You're like a total stud! I cry like a baby when I'm in transition.

I know you already know my stories, but I'm feeling nostalgic reading all this.

Ds1 was a hospital induced/epidural birth due to SROM. So yeah...onto the next. Dd I had prodromalish labor a few nights, but in hindsight the contractions were more like realllllllly looooooooong bh. I woke up at 3:40ish am to pee and had a totally different contraction. I was already 4-5cm dilated by then. Labor had definitely begun in a noticeable way! She was born a little over 4 hours later. I'm pretty sure that getting to 6cm is/was the hardest for me-because I was only 6cm 2 hours later; I go pretty quick after that. Even with my messed up medicalized first birth. With him I was only 2cm at midnight and he was born at 4:04 am. With ds2, he was posterior, and I knew it. I tried to encourage him to roll, but he didn't, and I trust that posterior was the best for him. Labor started with him Sunday evening, with contractions 11 minutes apart. I was already 3-4cm at this point. By Wednesday morning, I think I was 5cm...I have this written down somewhere...while I was getting dh's lunch ready for work I realized that contractions were 7 minutes apart! I was excited because that was an improvement because contractions had held at 11 minutes apart all 3 days before, except while nursing dd and after, then they'd speed up for an hour or so. By noon they were about 5 minutes apart. At 2 I told dh to come home because I needed help working through the back pain. Ds2 was born around 4:30 that afternoon. I was completely exhausted after all 3 births, in different ways. With ds1 it was just being in the hospital. It just SUCKED all around. With dd it was from staying up until like 2am and then getting up an hour and a half later in labor and not resting much. After ds2, I never wanted to do it again! Until the next morning when I felt better. I'd say I felt the best after dd's birth though. Can't wait to see what happens for you!

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM

My last birth was a very very nice 3 and a half hour labor. Contractions got painful pretty quick into labor but the painful part of them was short with a nice rest inbetween every contraction even a short rest between the contractions when I was pushing her out. I really can't imagine a better easier labor- well she could have been smaller- although I didn't tear my pelvis bones really ached after getting a 9+lb baby through them!

My second the intense part of labor and pushing I had NO BREAK between contractions and that was less fun. Although I have fond memories off all three of my births no matter what length they were.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 PM

Short labors aren't always intense. DD was born two weeks ago. My labor was about 3.5 hours total and I went through all of transition and pushing in about 4 contractions. My midwife didn't even think I was in active labor when she arrived, and we had a baby an hour later. I never had an internal exam and there was never time to call the back-up midwife. Given how calm and collected I was until the last 10 minutes, we were shocked to suddenly see a baby!

******Happy birthing vibes, mama******

Kori
SAHM to two boys and a baby girl born at home on Valentines Day
Old 02-26-2010, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My last labor was both long and short. I had prodromal labor for 48 hours - consistent, painful contractions every 7-10 minutes without pause. So I got no sleep, and was very aggravated that my cervix wasn't dilating at all. The contractions weren't unbearable, but they were enough to keep me out of bed and using my ritual to cope.

Then 'real' labor kicked in and Fiona was born in under an hour. It was very, very intense, but not all that more painful than the prodromal contractions. I felt the need to yell and holler, but I specifically remember thinking things like, "Wow, I'm really overreacting, this isn't that bad, why am I yelling so much?" and "If this is how I'm handling early labor, how on earth will I ever deal with hard labor?" and then as I felt the baby descend and got my first inkling that it might be over sooner than expected, I remember thinking, "Wait, where's the incredible pain? Where's the out of body experience? How come I don't feel like I need an epidural?" I pushed just at the peaks of 2-3 contractions, then said, "Oh sh!t! The baby's coming!" - her head was out in one push, her body in the next.

It was very surprising, but also a HUGE relief that it wasn't as long or as painful as I'd thought it would be. I still feel like I don't have the 'right' to say I had NCB, because it wasn't that bad. Even though I was cursing the prodromal labor because I was so sleep deprived, it really was a blessing in the end.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
Old 02-27-2010, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My first two labors were 19 and 8 hours, my last one was 4 hours. Ouch. It sucked, really really sucked. The first 30 minutes was ok and then it just felt like I got hit by a train. DS was posterior, the pain between contractions never went away, I could never get on top of the pain. And the pain was SOO much worse then it had ever been in any of my other labors. I was sobbing, it felt like my back and hips were literally breaking in addition to the normal uterine pain and pressure. DS was also 2 lbs bigger then my girls and his shoulders were "sticky" when I was pushing, just the entire labor sucked all around. I never got the birth high, I was just so thankful that was over, and honestly all I wanted to do was nap after that. Which I actually did, the first time I didn't sit for hours oggling my new baby. DS's labor was a huge dissapointment for me, I normally love giving birth, but I never ever want that experience again.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Both of my labors were a little over 3 hours, but they were different from one another.
The first labor my water broke first, then contractions started about 45 minutes later, which meant that the pain was out of sight from the get go. Contractions were right on top of one another. Then, add the ride to the birth center and I thought that I would lose it! I was 10 cm when I go to the FSBC and pushed for less than 15 minutes. Basically, the entire labor was intense.

The second labor my water was intact until the last 3 minutes, so contractions were much more bearable even though they were close together and still painful. Plus, I was at home in my birth pool, which was a God-send. It was the very end that was super intense for this one. Baby wasn't descending no matter how I changed positions even though I was complete/complete and I had no urge to push. My MW broke my water (with my permission) and I immediately had a huge contraction which brought baby down, followed by two hugely intense contractions causing me to push involuntarily with each one. 2 pushes, 2 contractions and the little stinker was out. So, basically, less than 5 minutes of out-of-control intensity.

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Dd1 was 12 hours labor, hospital birth involving an epidural and episiotomy. Dd2 was a 3 hour 15 minute home birth with no interventions. So the situations around the births were quite different. But I would take the short intense birth for me. The first hour or so wasn't that intense but after that is really got going. Mw checked me, told us it would probably still be a while and told the back up midwife it would be fine to finish her paperwork. Then things got rolling. I got in the tub for about 40 minutes and got out and was like holy crap I need to push. I remember thinking its too early I can't have to push already. But i did indeed need to push. I think I only did about 5 pushes. But it was intense. I was totally fine between pushes, could talk normally and stuff. But during pushes,wow. Out she came through the ring of fire. Mw2 arrived exactly 2 minutes after birth. Hah hah.

As far as recovery, #2 went way way way better. Best of luck and happy birthing!

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
My first two labors were 19 and 8 hours, my last one was 4 hours. Ouch. It sucked, really really sucked. The first 30 minutes was ok and then it just felt like I got hit by a train. DS was posterior, the pain between contractions never went away, I could never get on top of the pain. And the pain was SOO much worse then it had ever been in any of my other labors. I was sobbing, it felt like my back and hips were literally breaking in addition to the normal uterine pain and pressure. DS was also 2 lbs bigger then my girls and his shoulders were "sticky" when I was pushing, just the entire labor sucked all around. I never got the birth high, I was just so thankful that was over, and honestly all I wanted to do was nap after that. Which I actually did, the first time I didn't sit for hours oggling my new baby. DS's labor was a huge dissapointment for me, I normally love giving birth, but I never ever want that experience again.
Mama I just wanted to say that I had the exact same experience with my posterior babies (#1 and #4). The thought of another labor/delivery like that is terrifying because the difference between a posterior birth and a normal one is too broad to even explain!!!!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 AM

I know that's what they say--that the fast labors are so intense--and I've seen it with doula clients, quick labors are usually crazy intense--but mine weren't too bad.

My first was a 6 hr hospital induction. PROM. Pitocin drip. Started at 2-3cm. Complete after 4hrs, waited for ob for half an hour, pushed for an hour. It was intense and the pain was unholy, but I blame the pitocin.

My second (homebirth) was a 4hr labor. It wasn't painful, but it was intense. I wouldn't let anyone speak, and I made my friend and my mom leave (they wouldn't shut up,) but with that little thing managed, I was able to keep on top of the contractions. I vocalized a lot. I even laughed at something funny that happened during transition. I felt pain for the first time when she crowned. The pain was surprising. It was surprising to realize that as intense as it had been, it hadn't been painful.

My third (uc) was less than 3hrs--probably closer to 2. I got uncomfortable at the end, but it never felt scary or out of control to me. It was never painful. I labored and birthed in the middle of the afternoon with my kids at home (I'd expected to give birth at night.) Quiet, dark and private wasn't really available--but it was ok because I apparently didn't need those things with that birth. I was very quiet, I think because I didn't want to call attention to myself (my older kids were engaged in their own thing, and I needed them to stay away.)

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 AM
wbg

Of my 4 labours, 2 were very fast. But they were completely different. With my second, the labour was 4 hours from maybe to baby. But it was so intense and scary. My DD flew out of me and left me literally black and blue, bruised. It was so intense and full on.
With my third, labour was 2hours from maybe to baby, but a totally different experience. Calm, chilled, no crazy bruising and a gentle arrival.

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
Old 02-28-2010, 05:06 PM

From the time contractions picked up enough for me to pay attention up until DD2 was out, it was about 3 hours. Pushed on all 4s in a tub for 4 minutes, and really my body just pushed her out, I just let it happen. I did not mind the fast labor. It was intense, but I was very mentally present and I knew it was going fast. I knew the midwife needed to hurry up, and I was right, she was there for 32 minutes before the baby was out.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 AM

i figured i'd answer this even though i don't post much since i had my daughter saturday!

the night before i was already about 6 cm dialted.. felt my first ctx at 4:45, went into active labor at 6 am, and my daughter was born at 7:52, i felt like it was gentle and intense at the same time, i wouldn't wish such a fast labor or anyone who hadn't had a baby already, if that had been my first labor i don't think i would have coped very well... i would have one really strong ctx, and then a couple gentle ones.. as soon as i got into the tub i was like BOOM transition, and i could feel the her head so close to coming through my cervix.. i dont think i had more than 10 contractions once i was in the tub, and the pushing was very fast, one push she was through my cervix, one more and her head was out (before the head always kind of went back and forth a little and had more of a crowning experience) and then two more and she was out completely... but i was soooo thankful it was fast, when she was born i was just crying because i was relieved it was over... i definiately didn't have that moment that i've had before thinking "i don't think i can do this that much longer" things progressed so fast there wasn't time for it.. i think in the long run it was easier than my longer births, but those were nice because there was time to ease into it...

Miranda, crunchy SAHM to Faelynn Ray (12/29/05), Evan William (1/5/08) and Hazel Elizabeth our due date baby! (2/27/10)
Old 03-02-2010, 01:36 PM

My third labor was a little over an hour long (though I had had a few episodes of prodromal labor in the week leading up to the birth).

It was by far my easiest labor. Even though the contractions were obviously doing a lot of work, they were not more painful than the contractions in my other, much longer labors. Just the opposite - most of them were hardly painful at all. It was a really amazing experience.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 AM

I had really short labors but I enjoyed every minute of them.

With my first my water broke at midnight, got admitted to L&D at 1 am with no contractions or anything. I don't know if I was dilating because they didn't check. They told us to hang out and get some sleep until the morning. DH conked out and what with the darkness and privacy (no machines yet or anything but their policy was that once your water breaks you can't go home) I started getting contractions one after another, very intense, no breaks. I *loved* them and was kind of caressing myself throughout, it was very sensual. Then DH woke up and freaked out cos I was rocking back and forth and unable to speak, called nurse in, they all freaked out and discovered I was at 7 cm - this was about 3 am? So I went to 7 in about an hour. Then I got in the tub at the birth center and that was so nice, got through transition in... well, by 5 am. Then I had a hard time pushing (malpositioned baby and stupid mw advice) and DS was born at 7:25. My mom was mad that we never called her - totally forgot because it went so fast!

DD, I couldn't even tell that I was in labor until... well until I figured out it was the real deal and not braxton hicks. I was really EDGY since about 6 am and lost the mucous plug but as I had BH since like week 10 of pregnancy and none of them were painful I wasn't really figuring I was in labor. I figured it out around... maybe 10 am. Then things intensified for about an hour until it was full blown labor. DD was born at 1 pm exactly, so I'd say about three hours of real no-kidding labor. Coming out she hurt much worse than DS but I think that's because I was in a different mental space since I was UC-ing. I still loved her birth, probably more so than DS's - I felt great afterwards and was already dressed with hair and make up done like an hour after (don't worry, we nursed and bonded very well, I just wanted to be clean too lol ).

I am so lucky to have had two such awesome labors, and I guess I have nothing to compare it to not having had pitocin or the like, BUT whenever I hear descriptions of "early labor is so easy, you get breaks between contrax etc" I never know whether my labors were SO easy that I didn't even notice them or whether I just crack-dialed it and went from 0 to 60 that fast.

Speaking of crack (ha, ha) due to my fast labor and my son's LBW (5 lbs 6 oz at 37+1) they thought I was a druggie or something and forcibly drug tested us to make sure. Of course I came out 100% clean but it was still suckage that just because I had a really fast labor they assumed I was on drugs.

Had I been poked and prodded in early labor I'm *sure* I would have tensed up. Being left alone in labor and being in the dark and silence by myself I think gave my body the "OK vibes" to give birth.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 AM

Both my labors were very fast and intense in last stages.

I had long and slow labor all day with both, but just as I apparently had passed transition, I declared "I need to get in the tub - now!"

As soon as I was in, the pushing contractions came on like a freight train and both of my dds came out in about 5 crazy contractions where my body just took over. My first 'flew out' in one push resulting in a lot of tearing, the second thankfully took 2 pushes, head, then body and I had only a small tear.

I have a friend with 3 children whose first labor was an hour and the subsequent 2 even shorter. Each time she failed to get anywhere near the hospital where she planned on giving birth. The first was born in the car, the second was born in her building's hallway, the third was born on the toilet.

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 PM

My first was super fast...47 minutes start to finish. My water broke at my 37 week prenatal appt. (while giving a urine sample...lol I walked into the bathroom just like normal...water broke and I was immediately in hard labor...I literally crawled back to my exam room. DH was like, what on Earth happened in there?? LOL) The MW checked me before sending me to L&D...I was 2-3 cm, 100% and +1. The hospital was 2 blocks away...I could barely sit in the car...I had to keep my feet up on the dash, I couldn't bear to put them down...lol

When we got to the hospital they brought me a gurney bed and started wheeling me to the L&D floor...One of the people pushing the bed really upset me by saying, " Ohh honey...You are in for a long day...this is only the beginning"...This statement just really put me in a funk, before that I felt like labor was really strong but I was doing ok, but after she said that I felt like I immediately started losing control...

When we got to my room someone changed my clothes and put a gown on me...the nurse checked me and I was 8 cm...(she did a 'pain assessment' using the little chart with the smiley/frown faces on it...I remember her asking me to show her which one was the one I felt most like...I yelled at her to circle the one with a head coming out it's vagina!! LOL) She kept scolding me for not breathing properly, and reminding me that I needed to get control of myself...told me I should have paid more attention in childbirth classes...and on and on...

A few minutes later she told me that the baby's heart rate was dropping really fast, so she called for other nurses and my doc (and midwife)...within minutes there were 8 people around me yelling directions for what I was supposed to do...I just wanted to leave!! I only pushed for about 10 minutes and he was out...It took me several hours to really realize that it was already over...

It was like a whirlwind! But I must say...most of the craziness I felt I believe was brought on by the nurses/doctor...I feel like if I were greeted in a calm and welcoming way my labor would not have seemed so nuts...

My other 3 births have all been very fast, but I have artificially started each of those labors for various reasons...I have gotten my water broken to initiate those labors. With each of them I have a few hours before contractions begin, but once they begin I give birth within the hour. My 'active' labor and birth with my last baby was about 45 minutes, but I was at a birth center with a midwife (waterbirth)...I felt so calm and peaceful the whole time. (Pushing always feels very intense for me, but that seems normal when a baby is zooming out! lol)

So for me, the atmosphere, getting where you need to be, changing into certain clothes, answering a bunch of questions, etc was definitely more stressful to me than a speedy birth...

I would love to birth at home, as I feel like that would eliminate nearly all of that extra stress...but we live an hour from any hospital and DH just isn't comfy with it...
Old 03-07-2010, 05:06 AM

My last labor was 2.5 hr from the first contrax until she was born. It was quite easy overall. I'd say the only intense part was the last 10-15 min. and transition is supposed to be intense. Pushing stage was nonexistent... I just went from transition to crowning in one contraction and then she was born on the next one.

Also, I typically don't start dilating until labor starts but that doesn't make it any more intense. My first labor was longer but I went from 1 to 10 in less than 3-4 hours. With that one it was intense for maybe the last 30 min but when that ended I had no idea I'd just gone through transition until they checked and found out I was 10 cm. That time I had a 15 min break before my body started pushing her out.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
Old 03-07-2010, 07:54 AM

I was expecting singing angels and warm fuzzies with my first homebirth, but that's not exactly what happened.

Ds2's birth was very fast and intense. I got up at 1:30 am after nursing ds1 back to sleep, and felt a trickle of fluid. I had my first contraction at 2:00 am. I was hungry, so got some cereal and had to sway a bit through contractions, but they weren't a big deal. I woke up dh and called my mw to give her a head's up. Dh started filling up the pool.

Then I suddenly started feeling very nauseous, and ran into the bathroom to throw up. I never got up off the floor. Dh called the mw and our birth support.. it was around 3:20. He brought me my birth ball and water to sip in between running downstairs to check on the tub (the hose slipped off the nozzle and water was apparently going everywhere at one point).

I labored on my hands and knees, leaning on the birth ball. The contractions came very hard and fast, with barely a break between them. My best friend and my mom showed up about 10 minutes after we called. My friend said "wow, those are really close together." And my mom said "shouldn't you be breathing somehow?" I found both comments extremely annoying! I kept saying "open" to myself... it was my mantra. It worked a little too well.

Then my friend the photographer showed up. Shortly after that, I suddenly realized the baby was coming NOW. I shouted for my husband to bring the olive oil (I was terrified of tearing because I'd had a 3rd degree tear w/ ds1). In the time it took him to find it, then get to the bathroom and vault over the sink (because our bathroom's narrow and the birth ball/me were blocking the way) to get behind me, I'd already frantically pulled down my sweatpants to below my knees. I was on my hands and knees over the birth ball, now facing away from my husband, and baby was coming.

I asked dh "do you have it?" And he, still fiddling with the olive oil and not looking at what's going on, said "No.. I can't get the top off..." (poor man still had no idea what he was supposed to do with the olive oil, anyways!). And I said... "No! The baby! It's coming!" He looked down to see, yes, there was a head between my legs. Fortunately, my contraction stopped and I had a break to catch my breath before anything else happened. (Ds1 had been completely expelled from my body in one fell swoop... thus causing the tear)

At that exact moment, my midwife arrived and calmly got everyone out of the doorway so she could get in, and directed the photographer to get into the tub so she could get good shots, while reassuring me that everything was great and looking good. She managed to get one glove on and catch the baby on the next contraction.

Then she manuevered baby back under my legs (and over my underwear still wrapped around my knees) so I could hold him, and then I sat on the toilet with my baby in my arms... still half dressed but with my pants and underwear hanging around my ankles. I stared at the amazing little boy in my arms with awe... but it took me quite some time to really take in everything that had happened. It was so fast, and I just felt like I'd been hit by a mac truck. I think I was kind of emotionally numb and in a bit of shock.

I remember shivering uncontrollably and that orange juice never tasted so good as it did a few minutes later. Eventually things managed to sink in, and I regained my equillibrium, and then I felt that rush of love and amazement.

Ds was born at 4:02, only about 35-40 minutes after I started throwing up, which is when "active" labor really started. I never did make it down to the birth pool.

Fast labors make for great birth stories!
---

Now, ds3's birth was also fast... about 3 hours from start of real contractions to the end. But it was a more gradual build-up, I got in the birth pool, and finally had my peaceful, singing angels birth.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 03-07-2010, 02:17 PM

I've had two really fast and intense labours.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...343&highlight=

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=669634

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd

User Tag List