Shocked at epidural rates! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife group had a rate of about 50%.

Unfortunately, I presented with preeclampsia, and was induced at 39weeks because my blood pressure was 150/110 and they were concerned about me and the babe. I really really wanted to have a natural birth, even with an induction, but I was forced to have an epidural because once they cranked up the pitocin and my contractions started, my bp went up to 160/120 and they insisted that the epidural would bring it down. It held it steady, but didn't bring it down.
My birth experience was very difficult, and ended (predictably) in a c-section. But the only part where I really cried desperate sad tears was when I got the epidural. It was the moment that I was made to relinquish all control of my labor and birth, and I was horribly disappointed in my body. I had spent 9 months imagining bouncing on the birth ball, laboring in the shower, walking, etc. etc. and all that was gone the minute that needle went in. The hours of labor after the epi were miserable. I couldn't feel him move any more. Everyone who entered the room (midwife included) talked to the monitors, not to me. I was not permitted to move except for a few attempts to turn the baby by going on my hands/knees.
Between the pitocin and the epidural, my temperature also went up, which put me on antibiotics and put my baby in the NICU for observation for 3 days.
Thankfully he and I were both healthy, but it was very hard.
For the record, even after induction, epi, and c-sec, Nate was 100% alert and looking all around right after his birth.

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post
Also the screaming of women birthing without pain meds is probably disruptive for other laboring women on the unit.
Not disagreeing that screaming would be disruptive, but interestingly, the videos I've seen of women laboring naturally don't include ANY screaming. And I didn't scream, cry, or curse anybody out during mine, even with pitocin. Is it possible that the SCREAMING is a cultural expectation that doesn't happen all that often?
#33 of 40 Old 03-06-2010, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
Is it possible that the SCREAMING is a cultural expectation that doesn't happen all that often?
Possibly! I was a screamer so that may color my expectation. I remember thinking, "oh crap, I'm that crazy screaming lady where everyone is like, 'why doesn't she just get an epidural?'" Of course I didn't care at all by that point.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#34 of 40 Old 03-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
When I had my daughter a few years ago, the nurse that came to do PP care commented that I was the only one on the whole L&D floor who didn't have an epidural.

I guess she didn't have to fuss over me as much or whatever. I met another mom in the nursery who had been given one and still couldn't pass urine on her own 24 hours later.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#35 of 40 Old 03-06-2010, 09:55 PM

I agree on the screaming...I think it's a stereotype that only fits a percentage of natural-birthing women. I've known very few screamers, and some of the screamers I know were people who had epidurals and pain meds. I also think it's a pretty negative view of labor nurses, many of whom love supporting women and love birth, to think that there's a dark, lurking desire to keep women put and keep them quiet. Same for OBs.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#36 of 40 Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
Not disagreeing that screaming would be disruptive, but interestingly, the videos I've seen of women laboring naturally don't include ANY screaming. And I didn't scream, cry, or curse anybody out during mine, even with pitocin. Is it possible that the SCREAMING is a cultural expectation that doesn't happen all that often?
I had a totally natural birth and I screamed. Crowning hurt like nothing else. I also told the nurse I was going home and not having a baby though.

I don't know what the epidural rate where I delivered was, but every time someone came into my room they asked how my epidural site was.

obstruct livery vehicles

#37 of 40 Old 03-06-2010, 11:05 PM

I went into the hospital, after 48 hours of non sleeping laboring at home, with full intention of not getting an epi. I got a mixed response from the staff. There were a couple of nurses who were really happy to be involved with me, very happy to have a very natural experience. I had one who was rather aggressive and told me in a mean tone that she would leave me alone since I wanted to do things my way. What she said and how she said it was dismissive and cruel. I was really on my own especially when the first group of nurses went off shift. They told me that the nurses were taking bets that I wouldn't be able to do it without an epi. It was humiliating, angering and intensified my desire to not use one. Around 15 hours into my time there and around 4 hours of intense transition my mw strongly encouraged me to get an epi she was really worried that I was beyond exhausted and wouldn't be able to push my posterior baby out. I agreed. I was worried I was getting close to a c-section. When getting it in I started throwing up bright green bile. I was just sooo exhausted. about 8 hours into the epi, while I rested my bp dropped scary low and I fought so hard not to pass out. Soon afterward, when I was at 10 cm, I decided to start pushing even though I felt no desire. My posterior baby corkscrewed out of me in less than an hour even though my next shift midwife told me i wouldn't be able to do it without assistance from an OB. I did it and I don't think I could have done it without an epi, but I do believe if I had the epi any earlier my BP would have gone down even lower and I would have had a section.
It was an intensely difficult 72 hour labor. I wonder if it would have been different at home. My second was a breech section. I am pregnant now and am hoping for a homebirth so that I can have the support I need.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#38 of 40 Old 03-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
When I expressed my wish to not have one my obgyn smirked at me saying that's like a root canal without anesthesia and shook his head....
Yup.

Giving birth is just like having your TOOTH DRILLED OUT AND A METAL PIPE CLEANERS RAMMED AND TWISTED INTO THE NERVES OVER AND OVER.

I'd take a general anesthetic for a root canal if given the choice. For childbirth, the way I experienced it, very bad language sufficed.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#39 of 40 Old 03-07-2010, 04:49 AM

@ Bea: SO agree. Never had a root canal, but for dental, I'd take whatever anesthesia you'd offer. Labor was no fun, but I'm so offended by that obgyn, I have no words.... How does HE know anyways? I'm so glad I ended up with his midiwfe. And for his bedside manners..... When I was still bleeding 8 weeks PP and seeing sutures, he decided to yank silver nitrate thingies inside of me to chemically burn skin flaps on my scars. He said it doesn't hurt when I said it did. So much for his compassion anyways.
#40 of 40 Old 03-07-2010, 02:56 PM

When I had my first 6 years ago, my family doc told me the epidural rate was about 98% at the hospital. I made a joke about how I had to be the "difficult" one or something, and she immediately retorted "Different is not difficult." I love our family doc.

I switched to homebirth after that, to avoid the hospital, but much as I loved my midwife, part of me still wished my family doc made house calls.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page